Truth Social Users Are Losing Ridiculous Sums of Money to Scams

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
Donald Trump launched Truth Social in 2022 as a social media platform where the MAGA faithful could hang out without any liberals to spoil the fun. The biggest selling point? It was the only place where Trump was personally posting his unhinged screeds after getting banned from Twitter over that whole coup attempt. But new documents obtained by Gizmodo reveal the site has also been flooded with scammers who are swindling users out of enormous sums of money. We’re talking about people who’ve lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in a relatively short period of time.

Gizmodo submitted a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the FTC for consumer complaints about Truth Social filed in the past two years.

One person who says they lost $170,000 explained they were initially scammed on a different site but met someone on Truth Social who claimed they could help get their money back. That turned out to be a scam as well.

Another thing that sticks out about the complaints filed with the FTC is that they seem to involve plenty of elderly fans of Donald Trump. One 72-year-old man who reported chatting with a “beautiful” woman on the site was scammed out of $21,000. His complaint ends with, “I haven’t told my wife about this blunder. She still doesn’t know about it.” Another person in their 60s said they lost $500,000 to scammers on Truth Social and seemed to think there might be a way they could get their money back, telling the FTC, “After I pay this they promise there will be no more fees and I will receive my assets.”

Yeah, I know what you all are going to say - "They are MAGA supporters; they deserve to be scammed". Yes, but still... these are ordinary folks whose only mistake is in believing that Trump is their savior.

No one should be a victim of scammers. Doesn't matter if it is Trump selling fake coins or one of those "Nigerian princes promise to share the wealth in exchange for assistance" scams. No one should be a victim of these cons.

Good to see the FTC is cracking down on these rackets.

Forum List

Back