Tuna and mackerel populations suffer catastrophic 74% decline, research shows

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010

WWF says we risk losing species critical to human food security unless action is taken to halt overfishing and other threats to marine life

Tuna and mackerel populations have suffered a “catastrophic” decline of nearly three quarters in the last 40% years, according to new research.

WWF and the Zoological Society of London found that numbers of the scombridae family of fish, which also includes bonito, fell by 74% between 1970 and 2012, outstripping a decline of 49% for 1,234 ocean species over the same period.

The conservation charity warned that we face losing species critical to human food security, unless drastic action is taken to halt overfishing and other threats to marine life.

Louise Heaps, chief advisor on marine policy at WWF UK, said: “This is catastrophic. We are destroying vital food sources, and the ecology of our oceans.”

This is really bad....Time to take action!

We need to increase the regulations and do everything to stop this...If we don't our entire food chain my be destroyed.

Here's the major issue..

tuna_1950-2000.jpg

NOAA - FishWatch: Western Atlantic Bluefin Tuna

Credit NOAA.

Excerpt:
"Finally, because the western and eastern stocks mix, western Atlantic bluefin are also affected by fishing pressure in the eastern Atlantic. There was rampant overfishing in the eastern Atlantic/Mediterranean during the 1990s and early 2000s. However, in recent years, catches in the eastern Atlantic have been reduced to levels consistent with scientific advice, and new monitoring and control measures have been adopted to address illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing on that stock. Scientists advise that improved stock conservation in the eastern Atlantic would likely benefit the western stock as well."

Not sure I understand the concern.

Your answer addresses the Atlantic populations JC.. In the graph I -posted the GLOBAL problem is in the Pacific and Indian Oceans.. Only leverage we have is thru public opinion and International Treaty. Some of these SECRET Asian trade deals our inept negotiators are bringing us --- need to have a TUNA clause in them..

Hard to imagine that there is a regulation in only one ocean. here.

Federal Register | Pacific Island Pelagic Fisheries; 2015 U.S. Territorial Longline Bigeye Tuna Catch Limits
credit the Federal Register:

"Summary
NMFS proposes a 2015 limit of 2,000 metric tons (mt) of longline-caught bigeye tuna for each U.S. Pacific territory (American Samoa, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands). NMFS would allow each territory to allocate up to 1,000 mt each year to U.S. longline fishing vessels in a specified fishing agreement that meets established criteria. As an accountability measure, NMFS would monitor, attribute, and restrict (if necessary) catches of longline-caught bigeye tuna, including catches made under a specified fishing agreement. The proposed catch limits and accountability measures support the long-term sustainability of fishery resources of the U.S. Pacific Islands."

Federal Register | Pacific Island Pelagic Fisheries; 2015 U.S. Territorial Longline Bigeye Tuna Catch Limits

"Summary
NMFS proposes a 2015 limit of 2,000 metric tons (mt) of longline-caught bigeye tuna for each U.S. Pacific territory (American Samoa, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands). NMFS would allow each territory to allocate up to 1,000 mt each year to U.S. longline fishing vessels in a specified fishing agreement that meets established criteria. As an accountability measure, NMFS would monitor, attribute, and restrict (if necessary) catches of longline-caught bigeye tuna, including catches made under a specified fishing agreement. The proposed catch limits and accountability measures support the long-term sustainability of fishery resources of the U.S. Pacific Islands."

We have US jurisdiction over that tiny part of the Pacific. That's NOT where the problem is...

When Jebus comes back, we'll have all the fish we want.

And bread...

Problem with tuna and mackerel is probably that they are wide-ranging species. Not like flounder seabass, grouper, haddock.. With those more LOCALIZED populations, you can do any number of things. Like habitat enhancement and my favorite -- private leasing. The tendency to overfish localized species is solved with partitioned "leasing" of fishing areas. The owners of the lease will do the habitat enhancements for free and guarantee themselves a sustainable catch.. And the revenue on the leases can be used to fund surveys and studies of other species that could benefit from a little free market organization..

But with these "top dog" species -- you cannot easily control what jurisdiction they might wander into or the conditions that might inhibit breeding and population repair..

"Summary

We have US jurisdiction over that tiny part of the Pacific. That's NOT where the problem is...

But Mat and few other morons here want us gutted and hung up to dry.. Just like AGW they want us to be cut down and everyone else can do what they want... the stupidity is stunning.. I dont get the lib thought process... Commit Suicide so that every one else can live... F- That!

This problem needs real negotiations and negotiators (not the Obama loons- they are idiots of the 9th degree) the outcome must be measurable and enforceable.. with out those we will have a deal like the Obama-Iran pile of crap!

Problem with tuna and mackerel is probably that they are wide-ranging species. Not like flounder seabass, grouper, haddock.. With those more LOCALIZED populations, you can do any number of things. Like habitat enhancement and my favorite -- private leasing. The tendency to overfish localized species is solved with partitioned "leasing" of fishing areas. The owners of the lease will do the habitat enhancements for free and guarantee themselves a sustainable catch.. And the revenue on the leases can be used to fund surveys and studies of other species that could benefit from a little free market organization..

But with these "top dog" species -- you cannot easily control what jurisdiction they might wander into or the conditions that might inhibit breeding and population repair..

So, are you saying that these pelagic species have simply wandered off or that they are dying off but we can't do anything about it?

Guys everyone knows humans have no impact on the planet. This is just scientists looking for money. Tuna are fine their population has always changed. More some years, less others. The Tuna cultists hate America.

/sarcasm

Guys everyone knows humans have no impact on the planet. This is just scientists looking for money. Tuna are fine their population has always changed. More some years, less others. The Tuna cultists hate America.

/sarcasm
the scientists are now fishermen? Wow, they really are talented. I'd be pissed if I were a fisherman who puts his life on the line to supply food for people. The bad people I supposed.

So, are you saying that these pelagic species have simply wandered off or that they are dying off but we can't do anything about it?

What do you think? I've made it clear what should be done.. And why certain measures would not be effective..
Read it again and get back to me with your questions....

Forum List

Back