Turkey Shot Down Syrian Plane Which Violated Air Space

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
In a way, I am surprised Turkey shot down this plane since Turkey itself is bothered with these rebels.

Reuters
Posted: 03/23/2014 8:39 am EDT

ISTANBUL, March 23 (Reuters) - Turkey's armed forces shot down a Syrian plane on Sunday after it crossed into Turkish air space in a border region where Syrian rebels have been battling President Bashar al-Assad's forces.

"A Syrian plane violated our airspace," Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan told an election rally of his supporters in northwest Turkey.

"Our F-16s took off and hit this plane. Why? Because if you violate my airspace, our slap after this will be hard,"

Read more at:

I am surprised Turkey shot down this plane since Turkey itself is bothered with these rebels.

The rebels have been fighting for control of the Kasab crossing, the border region, since Friday, when they launched an offensive which Syrian authorities say was backed by Turkey's military.

I don't think Turkey has many problems with the rebels they support...or it was down as a retaliation to a Turkey plane being shot down

Last edited:
Well, here is an interview with the pilot who flew the jet fighter. He says, he did not cross the border.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0NTa2xi5NU]My aircraft was shot down by Turkish aircraft while within Syrian airspace - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back