🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Turkish Commentator On Conflict Between Palestinians And Israel

Maryland

Rookie
Mar 2, 2013
Muslim Burak Bekdil, Hurriyet Daily News [Turkey] :clap2:
In the early hours of Saturday, a Palestinian broke into a house in the settlement of Itamar and stabbed to death a couple and their three children, aged 3 months, 4 years and 10 years old. The slain bodies were discovered by the couple’s 12-year-old daughter who was not at home when the murder was committed. The “Imad Mughniyeh” cell, with alleged links to the al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigade, claimed responsibility for the attack. The terrorist group is named after the “phantom” terrorist Imad Mughniyeh who was killed in a car bomb attack in Damascus which Hezbollah blamed on Israeli agents. Mr. Mughniyeh, or the “Shia bin-Laden,” was one of the world’s most wanted men (wanted in 42 countries) while he was enjoying a safe haven in the Syrian capital prior to his assassination.

In May 2002, a Palestinian killed a 14-year-old boy and wounded another teenager in the same settlement. A month later, another Palestinian killed a woman and her three children. In July the same year another Palestinian stabbed and wounded a couple. And in August 2004, a Palestinian killed a resident of Itamar.

The killing of a 3-month old baby reminded me, inevitably, of what a “Palestinian warrior” told me in Ramallah in 2006. When he praised his suicide bomber sister who had injured a 95-year-old woman (and killed herself) in an attack, I asked him what was the point of injuring or killing elderly women or toddlers when young Palestinians also died in these attacks. He smiled and explained as simply as he could: “For us, even a 1-year-old Israeli baby is a soldier. And that [95-year-old] woman was also an Israeli soldier!” I thought it might not be safe to ask him any further questions.

But in 2008, this time in London and speaking to another Palestinian, I felt more comfortable and dared question the logic of the act that “indiscriminately angers our prime minister.” I reminded him of a verse in the Quran (4:93): “Whoever kills a believer intentionally, his recompense is Hell wherein he will abide eternally, and Allah has become angry with him and has cursed him and has prepared for him a great punishment.”

My Palestinian friend counter-attacked with another verse (17:33): “And do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden, except by right.” Then came his loud and tempered explanation: “The verse 4:93 forbids killing a believer. Israelis are not believers.” I looked out from the window of the pub where his orange juice vs. my wine stood on the table like two objects silently telling us why we could never agree

For a moment, I thought about reminding him that Jews, too, are believers, like other non-Muslim believers, or ask him if the Quran (in verse 4:93) permitted the killing of atheists. But he loudly went back to verse 17:33, with radiating eyes satisfied with the near victory in our little intellectual duel. “You see, that verse forbids killing ‘except by right.’ And it is evident that some killings fall into the category of ‘exception by right.’”

I sipped my wine and got lost in thought, wondering how a doctoral candidate of engineering from a decent British university could defend the murder of innocent people only because they belonged to a faith other than his. How could he twist his own (and my) holy book so as to find holy justifications for the killing of innocent people?
OPINION - You shall not kill!

Turkey is advancing towards more & more of a democracy, as understood in the West. Iran may get there some day too. I suggest reading Crescent & Star - Turkey between two worlds - Stephen Kinzer, Farrar, Straus & Giroux - NYC c 2001. 240pp, index. A good primer on Turkey from the Ottoman Empire , government, leading figures, culture. Local history.

Turkey is advancing towards more & more of a democracy, as understood in the West. Iran may get there some day too. I suggest reading Crescent & Star - Turkey between two worlds - Stephen Kinzer, Farrar, Straus & Giroux - NYC c 2001. 240pp, index. A good primer on Turkey from the Ottoman Empire , government, leading figures, culture. Local history.
Actually Turkey has been sinking into the cesspool of Islamism. I suggest you do some real reading.

Ban lifted
On 9 February 2008, Turkey's parliament approved a constitutional amendment that lifted the ban on Islamic headscarves in universities. Prior to this date, the public ban on headscarves officially extended to students on university campuses throughout Turkey. Nevertheless, according to Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2007, "some faculty members permitted students to wear head coverings in class". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty notes that since the 1990s, some rectors have allowed students to wear headscarves.
On 5 June 2008, Turkey's Constitutional Court annulled the parliament's proposed amendment intended to lift the headscarf ban, ruling that removing the ban would run counter to official secularism. While the highest court's decision to uphold the headscarf ban cannot be appealed (AP 7 June 2008), the government has nevertheless indicated that it is considering adopting measures to weaken the court's authority.

Reforms of Republic
Main article: Atatürk's Reforms
During the establishment of the Republic, there were two sections of the elite group at the helm of the discussions for the future. These were the Islamist reformists and Westerners.[3] They shared a similar goal, the modernization of the new state. Many basic goals were common to both groups. The founder of the modern Turkish Republic Mustafa Kemal Atatürk's achievement was to amplify this common ground and put the country on a fast track of reforms, now known as Atatürk's Reforms.
Their first act was to give the Turkish nation the right to exercise popular sovereignty via representative democracy. Prior to declaring the new Republic, the Turkish Grand National Assembly abolished the constitutional monarchy on November 1, 1922. The Turkish Grand National Assembly then moved to replace the extant Islamic law structure with the laws it had passed during the Turkish War of Independence, beginning in 1919. The modernization of the Law had already begun at the point that the project was undertaken in earnest. A milestone in this process was the passage of the Turkish Constitution of 1921. Upon the establishment of the Republic on October 29, 1923, the institution of the Caliphate remained, but the passage of a new constitution in 1924 effectively abolished this title held by the Ottoman Sultanate since 1517. With the negation of the Caliphate the final vestiges of Islamic Law are regarded as having disappeared from the Turkish landscape. The Caliphate's powers within Turkey were transferred to the National Assembly and the title has since been inactive. While very unlikely, the Turkish Republic does in theory still retain the right to reinstate the Caliphate, should it ever elect to do so.[citation needed]
Following quickly upon these developments, many social reforms were undertaken. Many of these reforms affected every aspect of Turkish life, moving to erase the legacy of dominance long held by religion and tradition. The Unification of education, installation of a secular education system, and the closure of many religious orders was happened on March 3, 1924. This extended to closure of religious convents and dervish lodges on November 30, 1925. These reforms included the extension to women of voting rights in 1931 and the right to elected office on December 5, 1934. The inclusion of reference to laïcité into the constitution was achieved by an amendment on February 5, 1937, is seen as the final act in the project of instituting complete separation between governmental and religious affairs in Turkey.

[edit]Constitutional principles

The Constitution asserts that Turkey is a secular and democratic republic, deriving its sovereignty from the people. The sovereignty rests with the Turkish Nation, who delegates its exercise to an elected unicameral parliament, the Turkish Grand National Assembly. Moreover, Article 4: declares the immovability the founding principles of the Republic defined in the first three Articles:
"secularism, social equality, equality before law"
"the Republican form of government"
"the indivisibility of the Republic and of the Turkish Nation",
Constitution bans any proposals for the modification of these articles. Each of these concepts which were distributed in the three articles of the constitution can not be achieved without the other two concepts.[citation needed] The constitution requires a central administration which would lose its meaning (effectiveness, coverage, etc.) if the system is not based on laïcité, social equality, and equality before law. Vice versa, if the Republic differentiate itself based on social, religious differences, administration can not be equal to the population when the administration is central.[citation needed] The system which tried to be established in the constitution sets out to found a unitary nation-state based on the principles of secular democracy.

[edit]Impact on society

The Turkish Constitution recognizes freedom of religion for individuals whereas the religious communities are placed under the protection of state, but the constitution explicitly states that they cannot become involved in the political process (by forming a religious party for instance) and no party can claim that it represents a form of religious belief. Nevertheless, religious sensibilities are generally represented through conservative parties.
In recent history, two parties have been ordered to close (Welfare Party (Turkish: Refah Partisi) in 1998 and Virtue Party (Turkish: Fazilet Partisi) in 2001) by the Constitutional Court for Islamist activities and attempts to "redefine the secular nature of the republic". The first party to be closed for suspected fundamentalist activities was the Progressive Republican Party on June 3, 1925.
The current governing party in Turkey, the conservative Justice and Development Party (Turkish: Adalet ve Kalkınma Partisi or AKP) has often been accused of following an Islamist agenda.
Issues relating to Turkey's secularism were discussed in the lead up to the 2007 presidential elections, in which the ruling party chose a candidate with Islamic connections, Abdullah Gül, for the first time in its secular republic. While some in Turkey have expressed concern that the nomination could represent a move away from Turkey's secularist traditions, including particularly Turkey's priority on equality between the sexes, others have suggested that the conservative party has effectively promoted modernization while reaching out to more traditional and religious elements in Turkish society.[5][6] On July 22, 2007 it was reported that the more religiously conservative ruling party won a larger than expected electoral victory in the parliamentary elections.[7]

Turkey's preservation and maintenance of its secular identity has been a profound issue and source of tension. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has spoken out in favor of limited Islamism and against the active restrictions,[citation needed] instituted by Kemal Atatürk on wearing the Islamic-style head scarves in government offices and schools. The Republic Protests (Turkish: Cumhuriyet Mitingleri) were a series of peaceful mass rallies that took place in Turkey in the spring of 2007 in support of the Kemalist ideals of state secularism.[8]

Secularism in Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
"Actually Turkey has been sinking into the cesspool of Islamism. I suggest you do some real reading."

(My bold)

The Ottoman Empire was a Caliphate, based on Islam. So name-calling isn't going to get you anywhere with the vast bulk of the Turkish population. Kemal Ataturk Gazi was a war hero from WWI, dictator - with a democratic end in mind, but he ramrodded reforms through the national assembly with no compunctions, & slaughtered the Kurds (& didn't dissent from the slaughter/expulsion of the Armenians, either. Even though he didn't like the leadership of the Young Turks - who he joined in the project of creating a Turkish republic.) Kinzer explains all this background.

I quote Wiki myself from time to time, as being convenient for most Internet users. But it doesn't have the time nor space to cover all the detail. I also recommend Kinzer's followup book, Reset.

"Actually Turkey has been sinking into the cesspool of Islamism. I suggest you do some real reading."

(My bold)

The Ottoman Empire was a Caliphate, based on Islam. So name-calling isn't going to get you anywhere with the vast bulk of the Turkish population. Kemal Ataturk Gazi was a war hero from WWI, dictator - with a democratic end in mind, but he ramrodded reforms through the national assembly with no compunctions, & slaughtered the Kurds (& didn't dissent from the slaughter/expulsion of the Armenians, either. Even though he didn't like the leadership of the Young Turks - who he joined in the project of creating a Turkish republic.) Kinzer explains all this background.

I quote Wiki myself from time to time, as being convenient for most Internet users. But it doesn't have the time nor space to cover all the detail. I also recommend Kinzer's followup book, Reset.

According to Encyclopaedia Judaica, one assertion that was commonly made by many Jews of Salonika was that Atatürk was of Doenmeh (crypto-Jewish) origin.
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Banned

(My bold)

The Ottoman Empire and Turkey under Kemal were far, far cries from Turkey under Erdogan which has, in fact, become radicalized. Ataturk is spinning in his grave over the course of Turkey today

(My bold)

Kamal Attuturk was the George Washington of the Turks. He made the Latin alphabet the official language of the country and minimized Islamism and made provisions for an Islamist takeover, giving the army the constitutional right to take over, should a govt perceived as "too Islamist" rise to power. Of course that constitutional provision has been removed recently, as more Islamist leaders and parliament member have risen to office.

You might ask yourself how is it that a Muslim country and strong leader like Attaturk was so scared of Islam that he even placed a constitutional amendment to protect against it? Answer: FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE.

Whether you like it or not, these are the facts. Turkey has become more and more Islamic in recent years.

Last edited:
Ataturk’s reforms

Atatürk was a military genius, a charismatic leader, also a comprehensive reformer in his life. It was important at the time for the Republic of Turkey to be modernized in order to progress towards the level of contemporary civilizations and to be an active member of the culturally developed communities. Mustafa Kemal modernized the life of his country.

Atatürk introduced reforms which he considered of vital importance for the salvation and survival of his people between 1924-1938. These reforms were enthusiastically welcomed by the Turkish people.

Chronology of Reforms

1922 Sultanate abolished (November 1).
1923 Treaty of Lausanne secured (July 24). Republic of Turkey with capital at Ankara proclaimed (October 29).
1924 Caliphate abolished (March 3). Traditional religious schools closed, Sheriat (Islamic Law) abolished. Constitution adopted (April 20).
1925 Dervish brotherhoods abolished. Fez outlawed by the Hat Law (November 25). Veiling of women discouraged; Western clothing for men and women encouraged. Western (Gregorian) calendar adopted instead of Islamic calendar.
1926 New civil, commercial, and penal codes based on European models adopted. New civil code ended Islamic polygamy and divorce by renunciation and introduced civil marriage. Millet system ended.
1927 First systematic census.
1928 New Turkish alphabet (modified Latin form) adopted. State declared secular (April 10); constitutional provision establishing Islam as official religion deleted.
1933 Islamic call to worship and public readings of the Kuran (Quran) required to be in Turkish rather than Arabic.
1934 Women given the vote and the right to hold office. Law of Surnames adopted - Mustafa Kemal given the name Kemal Atatürk (Father of the Turks) by the Grand National Assembly; Ismet Pasha took surname of Inönü.
1935 Sunday adopted as legal weekly holiday. State role in managing economy written into the constitution.
he Clothing Reform

With the clothing reform, women stopped wearing veils; they started to wear modern women's clothing. Men started to wear hats rather than the fez.

Civil Rights for Women

With the reforms of Atatürk, Turkish women, who for centuries had been neglected, were given new rights. Thus with the civil code passed, Turkish women would now have the same rights as men, could be appointed to official posts, would have the right to vote and to be elected to Parliament. The monogamy principle and equal rights for women changed the spirit of Turkish society.

Atatürk's Works on Turkish History

Following the reform of the script, which was meant to be a kind of nationalism in the cultural field, Atatürk concentrated his attention on history. He established the Turkish Historical Society in 1931. Here, Turkey's history was thoroughly examined and evaluated.

The New Calendar, Weights and Measures, Holidays and Surname Laws and many other reforms were achieved as well. An example of this is the Weekend Act of 1924, the International Time and Calendar System of 1925, the Obligation Law and Commercial Law of 1926, the System of Measures 1933 and the Surname Act, 1934. According to the law passed by the Grand National Assembly in 1932 Turks took surnames and the Nation's leader was given the surname of Atatürk, "Father of the Turks".

Language Reform: From Ottoman to Turkish

History records few instances of a government's altering the language of its people as drastically and imposing that language as forcefully (and, on balance, as successfully) as in the Turkish case. Atatürk considered language reform to be an essential ingredient in the creation of a new Turkey and of new, modernized Turks, and he viewed the revised Turkish language as one of the ways to create a new national identity.

Within the Ottoman Empire, the Turks were merely one of many linguistic and ethnic groups, and the word Turk in fact connoted crudeness and boorishness. Members of the civil, military, and religious elite conversed and conducted their business in Ottoman Turkish, which was a mixture of Arabic, Persian, and Turkish. Arabic remained the primary language of religion and religious law. Persian was the language of art, refined literature, and diplomacy. What little Turkish there was usually had to do with the administration of the Ottoman Empire Turkish not only borrowed vocabulary items from Arabic and Persian but also lifted entire expressions and syntactic structures out of these languages and incorporated them into the Ottoman idiom. Thus, pure Turkish survived primarily as the language of the illiterate and generally was not used in writing. Ottoman Turkish, on the other hand, was the language of writing, as well as the language spoken by the educated elite.

Its multiple origins caused difficulties in spelling and writing Ottoman Turkish. The constituent parts - Turkish, Persian, and Arabic - belong to three different language families - Ural-Altaic, Indo-European, and Semitic, respectively - and the writing system fits only the last of these. Phonological, grammatical, and etymological principles are quite different among them.

According to Encyclopaedia Judaica, one assertion that was commonly made by many Jews of Salonika was that Atatürk was of Doenmeh (crypto-Jewish) origin.

"Kamal Attuturk was the George Washington of the Turks. He made the Latin alphabet the official language of the country and minimized Islamism and made provisions for an Islamist takeover, giving the army the constitutional right to take over, should a govt perceived as "too Islamist" rise to power. Of course that constitutional provision has been removed recently, as more Islamist leaders and parliament member have risen to office.

"You might ask yourself how is it that a Muslim country and strong leader like Attaturk was so scared of Islam that he even placed a constitutional amendment to protect against it? Answer: FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE.

"Whether you like it or not, these are the facts. Turkey has become more and more Islamic in recent years. "

(My bold)

Nah, Washington was from the landed gentry - the elite - in the colonies. Ataturk was not. His father died young, Kemal joined the army & rose on merit until Gallipolli - where he commanded & ultimately repelled the British army. This made him the only Turkish WWI hero.

Kemal abandoned Arabic script - the language itself remains the same.

"Islamist" is a recent coinage, TMK. Yes, Kemal split off political from religious life, & he rammed that through the national council. He forced these & other measures through, they were not popular in the countryside, except that he carried the council & had fought to keep Turkey undivided among Greek, French, Armenian, British armed intervention. He was a war hero, a revolutionary hero - & not a nice person @ all.

Kemal was not scared of anything @ all, as far as I can tell.

It is not possible for a former caliphate to become "more Islamist". Islam helps hold the country together, especially since the ethnic cleansing of the Armenians, Kurds, the expulsion of the Greeks & Jews (these groups tended to be the professionals in Turkey up until the republic - doctors, lawyers, engineers, bankers, writers, etc.)

Turkey has come a long way.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back