Two Questions for Atheists

Getting hung up on "belief in a creator" is also bogus. No creators needed for non-creationists.

No, you just follow the ABG theory and believe that everything made itself.
You should drop this "AGB" nonsense, as relates to reasoning out explanations and trying to support them with evidence. This process describes how things work. It has nothing to do with the existence of gods, and certainly does nothing to rule them out.

"Probably"

I would say they are not accounts of any real flood, but are "probably" just made up, apocalyptic myths

Even today, local floods are too common not to have ever happened back then. Back when I was in high school I lost two friends in a local flood. And, comparatively speaking, it wasn't that large of a local flood.

"Probably"

I would say they are not accounts of any real flood, but are "probably" just made up, apocalyptic myths

Even today, local floods are too common not to have ever happened back then. Back when I was in high school I lost two friends in a local flood. And, comparatively speaking, it wasn't that large of a local flood.
Of course floods happened, but I'm confused by the compulsion to say it was an "account of a real flood". Was the movie Twister then the account of a real tornado? Was Jaws the account of a real shark attack? Not really.

When I was an athiest, I didn't care. So, I didn't hope one way or the other

Both as an athiest and not, I know I can be wrong, so, anything is possible

You also know your brethren have classified me as a defacto atheist when I have clearly over and over said that as a scientist, I cannot deny the possibility of a God.
Neither does an atheist, necessarily. Very common and nothing unscientific about it. Both atheism and agnosticism often get falsely conflated with belief in "God." Technically speaking. you're an agnostic atheist. Atheism and theism are concerned with belief or having faith. Theists believe. Atheists do not. Atheists simply lack faith / disbelieve. Agnostics, like scientists, on the other hand, are concerned with knowledge. Knowing whether or not there's a "God" or gods. Agnostics say one can't know. Atheists generally believe the same, but also that they'll continue disbelieving theistic claims until one or more are scientifically proven. One can indeed be both.

I'm also an agnostic, an agnostic that believes that we have a creator. How's that?
You're an agnostic theist. Fine by me.

"Probably"

Mt Everest is 40,000 feet

For a flood to cover it would take more than 40 days
Where did the water go?

"Probably"

Mt Everest is 40,000 feet

For a flood to cover it would take more than 40 days
Where did the water go?
I dont think he's claiming there was ever such a flood.

Did God make man or Man make God ?

Y.N. Harari, in his book Sapiens, asserts that mankind has made up a number of things out of whole cloth. Corporations, for example. Assigning value to a colored piece of paper (or shells). National boundaries. Rules. Government. Social levels. God. Sapiens is a very interesting book. While Harari seems to exist all these things only occur in our imagination (and collective imaginations), I pose the question of whether we have made all these things up, or whether mankind has the ability to tap into something equally real that is beyond the physical world we call earth. Worth exploring, don't you agree?

Can I ask how you believe studying the bible for years makes you capable of providing better answers? The bible itself is an interpretation. People not God decided what to include in it. The bible as you know it, is a translation of a translation of a translation of several books and as the saying goes," stuff gets lost in translation" Furthermore people who study the bible for years do nothing more then interpret it themselves. Studying the bible is nothing more then learning justifications to dismiss certain aspects of a book that in itself has been edited and translated several times too make it fit in your worldview.

This is why it is necessary to study books and sciences outside the Bible as well. Also, very important, is discovering who was the author, and who was his original audience. What was his original intent and message. This takes a lot of time and a lot of effort. Unfortunately today, most don't have the time and bypass these steps.
I'm sorry to tell you but you gave a good example. Noah's ark wasn't a biblical account at all. It's the epic of Gilgamesh, who was Sumerian. Sumerians were polytheistic. How can you get answers from a myth that was written by people who didn't even believe in a monotheistic God? You don't get meaning from the bible. You superimpose your own views and make the bible mean what you want.What similarities are there between the Gilgamesh flood account and the biblical flood account?
Yes, Noah was the story. Within just a few generations was the Tower of Babel where humanity was scattered. Everyone knew the story of the flood. Some had to use memory rather than documents thus the slight variations.

Can I ask how you believe studying the bible for years makes you capable of providing better answers? The bible itself is an interpretation. People not God decided what to include in it. The bible as you know it, is a translation of a translation of a translation of several books and as the saying goes," stuff gets lost in translation" Furthermore people who study the bible for years do nothing more then interpret it themselves. Studying the bible is nothing more then learning justifications to dismiss certain aspects of a book that in itself has been edited and translated several times too make it fit in your worldview.

This is why it is necessary to study books and sciences outside the Bible as well. Also, very important, is discovering who was the author, and who was his original audience. What was his original intent and message. This takes a lot of time and a lot of effort. Unfortunately today, most don't have the time and bypass these steps.
I'm sorry to tell you but you gave a good example. Noah's ark wasn't a biblical account at all. It's the epic of Gilgamesh, who was Sumerian. Sumerians were polytheistic. How can you get answers from a myth that was written by people who didn't even believe in a monotheistic God? You don't get meaning from the bible. You superimpose your own views and make the bible mean what you want.What similarities are there between the Gilgamesh flood account and the biblical flood account?
Yes, Noah was the story. Within just a few generations was the Tower of Babel where humanity was scattered. Everyone knew the story of the flood. Some had to use memory rather than documents thus the slight variations.
Slight variations... of what? we know the literal story of the tower of Babel did not happen. We know it as well as we know anything.

Slight variations... of what? we know the literal story of the tower of Babel did not happen. We know it as well as we know anything.
You know?

You just validated yourself as a lying dumbass.

You know?

Correct, we know it as well as we know the Moon revolves around the Earth. Not just me, "we". You're the outlier, to believe that nonsense as literal.

You know?

Correct, we know it as well as we know the Moon revolves around the Earth. Not just me, "we". You're the outlier, to believe that nonsense as literal.
You're delusional.

You know?

You're delusional.
You're delusional, if you believe the humans and languages of the world scattered a couple thousand years ago.

-To your first question I can only answer with another question. Wrong about what? It's ill defined. Because it demands of me that I know which God you believe in.

My question is not about what I believe. It's about what YOU believe and whether you hope you're wrong or right. It doesn't demand anything, it asks a question, as denoted by the question mark at the end.

-To your first question I can only answer with another question. Wrong about what? It's ill defined. Because it demands of me that I know which God you believe in.

My question is not about what I believe. It's about what YOU believe and whether you hope you're wrong or right. It doesn't demand anything, it asks a question, as denoted by the question mark at the end.
While your question may be about what others believe, he makes a valid point. Which God? If you plan to constrain the discussion to monotheism, then you should say so.

Forum List

Back