U.S. Fracking's Larger Implications

China bought a chunk of Chesapeake for a reason.
This is not New York. Here they do not inspect all the time, or all of the well sites.

My cousin, whose property is adjacent to mine, and I spent 2 hours night before last going over the ramifications of me signing up. He leased 300 acres, but kept 70 hands off. I was his buffer as far as adjacent leased property was concerned. We all have to make sure that we don't do anything that will effect our neighbors. That is where the we comes into affect.

Apparently you already know the stipulations in the leases concerning permanent easements, widths, overlay and overlap, marketable timber removal, and especially the clause that a lessor cannot restrict access to adjacent leased property. If 2 sentences weren't dealt with in his lease then his pastures, hay fields, front yard, and barn can potentially turn into a 140 foot wide access road, because of my lease.

And there is no, "hey, you can't do that!" moment. Ask the rod and gun club owner they just put out of business who gave them horizontal rights only, but lost his surface, because you can't deny them access to what they put under your surface. He's still in court. In fact they so rarely play by the rules, we have a shortage of lawyers now. Never thought I'd say that. But, you know all of that, right?
By the way, are you a city dweller? Have you had experience with the gas companies?

Have you talked to Marion Stone and her boy Brian, who refused to sign with Chesapeake? They unitized her and pooled her 220 acres of gas and oil right out from under her, anyway. Then claimed innocence by the rule of capture. Judge denied. Marion will probably lose their farm trying to fight Chesapeake, who will sell out to Chevron before the suit is settled, who will claim it's not their fault............
Good faith contracts are used for toilet paper at Corp. headquarters.

What is suppose to happen is what we hope for, and what goes wrong is what we live with.
But what do we know here in Ohio........

Last edited:
Every lease is different. How would any of us know of "stipulations".

A lease contains exactly what the lessee and lessor agree to. Nothing more, nothing less.

China bought a chunk of Chesapeake for a reason.
This is not New York. Here they do not inspect all the time, or all of the well sites.

They did. The Chinese want to learn how to drill their own shale wells, and buying into American companies lets them watch. And New York doesn't inspect all the time either, but it doesn't really matter in either case, once you are familiar with the capabilities of the inspectors.

The Irish Ram said:
Apparently you already know the stipulations in the leases concerning permanent easements, widths, overlay and overlap, marketable timber removal, and especially the clause that a lessor cannot restrict access to adjacent leased property. If 2 sentences weren't dealt with in his lease then his pastures, hay fields, front yard, and barn can potentially turn into a 140 foot wide access road, because of my lease.

I've used leases to educate landowners more than once or twice.

The Irish Ram said:
In fact they so rarely play by the rules, we have a shortage of lawyers now. Never thought I'd say that. But, you know all of that, right?

Of course. Be careful what you sign, lest someone actually hold you to the deal you signed and not the one you imagined you signed.

The Irish Ram said:
By the way, are you a city dweller? Have you had experience with the gas companies?

Raised on a farm with well water, and 2 fracked gas wells sitting above a coal field. Worked in the business for a decade (petroleum engineer) before becoming a staff scientist in the equivalent of a think tank. Changed jobs just this year, out of science and into energy modeling and technical advisor. I've drilled, completed, fracked, produced, plugged and run a 1000 well production company.

So yeah, I am very familiar with what landowners say. And do.

The Irish Ram said:
Have you talked to Marion Stone and her boy Brian, who refused to sign with Chesapeake? They unitized her and pooled her 220 acres of gas and oil right out from under her, anyway. Then claimed innocence by the rule of capture. Judge denied. Marion will probably lose their farm trying to fight Chesapeake, who will sell out to Chevron before the suit is settled, who will claim it's not their fault............
Good faith contracts are used for toilet paper at Corp. headquarters.

I recommend you teach your neighbors all you can and the pertinent laws in your state. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and the extraction industries know it really well.

The Irish Ram said:
What is suppose to happen is what we hope for, and what goes wrong is what we live with.
But what do we know here in Ohio........

Half of my industry experience was in Ohio. You really don't know much, take my word for it. A landowner that can actually explain how a frack job could ever pollute their groundwater is a rare thing. Nearly non-existent as a matter of fact.

Every lease is different. How would any of us know of "stipulations".

A lease contains exactly what the lessee and lessor agree to. Nothing more, nothing less.

The initial lease never makes it to the table. Every individual landowner's requirements are different. There is no standard agreement that we are signing. That is why we all communicate with each other. We know that what they say on paper, has little to do with what they do. For instance we are all taking turns testing the creek water, because they aren't going to, even though they promise to.

I know you don't know the stipulations, which is why I don't understand being called a liar, because, I do know the stipulations. There is a lot of good the gas industry has generated. There's bad too.

Considering we live on the land we lease, I'm pretty sure that I don't need to teach my neighbors anything. We all do our homework. We've all been through it before. Gas wells, coal mining, copper mining, and now we are back to gas and oil.

If you think we know nothing, maybe you should enlighten me so I can pass it along. It's not could they foul the creek, it's what are our options when they foul the creek. It's not that they will be blowing out our water wells, it's what is the best way to hold them accountable when they do.
Your occupation is what we protect ourselves against.

Last edited:
Considering we live on the land we lease, I'm pretty sure that I don't need to teach my neighbors anything. We all do our homework. We've all been through it before. Gas wells, coal mining, copper mining, and now we are back to gas and oil.

Maybe. Maybe not. But education of all involved certainly never hurts.

The Irish Ram said:
If you think we know nothing, maybe you should enlighten me so I can pass it along.

Sure. What would you like to know?

The Irish Ram said:
It's not could they foul the creek, it's what are our options when they foul the creek. It's not that they will be blowing out our water wells, it's what is the best way to hold them accountable when they do.
Your occupation is what we protect ourselves against.

Good luck with that. We've been doing what we do alot longer than landowners have been pretending to be afraid of hydraulic fracturing.

lol... Irish, ask him about decline rates.

He doesn't seem to have a narrative for what -30% each year means for the short-term future of a $10 million well. ... They shoot their wad for about a year or two, maybe three. Then it's a disaster. Hopefully they've sold off enough fattening shares by that time.

RGR will remind us all what a sage scribe he is on the technical aspects of raping the earth for tight oil/gas. Just ask him. ... But he seems to have tremendous trouble with the economic aspect of energy as THE driver for the world economy.

Standing over his corpse once I pinned him down on this fundamental aspect of his "no problem" storyline, I grew bored here.

They have absolutely no answer for the fundamental question of "at what cost?" About the best RGR has shown when confronted with that simple question has been 1) "I'm still filling up MY car!", or , 2) "so? ride your bike!" ... I know, it's deep stuff.

:clap2:

Last edited:
Rogers and other energy analysts agree that the industry’s plan to export natural gas overseas to countries like China, where they can sell it for much higher prices, will inevitably drive up domestic prices.

^ We are banking on it.

Because Obama has shut down our coal industry, and our unemployment is through the roof.

Does the gas company plan on doing the same thing around Cripple Creek, Co. that they have done to Rifle?

Why? It isn't as though you can discuss them intelligently. What happened, someone move your favorite rock?

JiggsCasey said:
RGR will remind us all what a sage scribe he is on the technical aspects of raping the earth for tight oil/gas. Just ask him. ... But he seems to have tremendous trouble with the economic aspect of energy as THE driver for the world economy.

Admittedly I specialize on the technical side of the oil and gas business, but those of us who managed technical projects are also quite familiar with the economics of our work. More so than forum denizens who want to trade someone 3 barrels in exchange for 2 and aren't even smart enough to figure out how ignorant that is. Right Jiggsy?

JiggsCasey said:
They have absolutely no answer for the fundamental question of "at what cost?"

Oh Jiggsy. Please. I built a global cost of supply curve not two weeks ago. Use it in my most recent models as a matter of fact. I don't suppose you can show us one provided to the parrots in your particular religion can you? Yeah...didn't think so.

JiggsyCasey said:
About the best RGR has shown when confronted with that simple question has been 1) "I'm still filling up MY car!", or , 2) "so? ride your bike!" ... I know, it's deep stuff.
:clap2:

Well, to you deep stuff might be understanding how riding a bike saves you the $$ of wasting liquid fuels, but not everyone suffers from the reading comprehension of a second grader.

Now run off like a good little disciple and find yourself another rock to hide under Jiggsy.

Rogers and other energy analysts agree that the industry’s plan to export natural gas overseas to countries like China, where they can sell it for much higher prices, will inevitably drive up domestic prices.

^ We are banking on it.

Because Obama has shut down our coal industry, and our unemployment is through the roof.

Well, that is his plan, right? Knowing that the hopey changey thing would wear off, the goal of making as many people as possible dependent on the government become important for the votes going into the second term. He succeeded, and one of the consequences of those policies was to make sure certain places suffered high unemployment. But he can't stop development on private land s easily, and that is allowing way too much development for his liking I imagine.

The Irish Ram said:
Does the gas company plan on doing the same thing around Cripple Creek, Co. that they have done to Rifle?

It depends on what you THINK they have done? Cripple Creek is quite famous for its gold mining history, as opposed to natural gas development. The mountains of Colorado being a poor place to find a sedimentary basin from which to produce said gas. Rifle on the other hand is in the Piceance Basin and quite prolific in oil and gas development. You want gas companies to develop non-existent natural gas in Cripple Creek Colorado? Why?

Why? It isn't as though you can discuss them intelligently. What happened, someone move your favorite rock?

Yeah, that's what I thought you'd punt to. Coward. ... I especially love the unfalsifiable claim regarding your business life. Clear sign of a bullshit artist at work, avoiding 3rd-party links we can all verify, and instead making boasts of how awesome he/she is on the job. LOL.

You won't acknowledge decline rates for your pet industry because they completely dismantle the "no problem" argument you've put so much energy into already.

So you pretend you're above it all and hope no one calls you on it. Over and over and over again. You were so "put away" last year. I see nothing has changed.

Fracking: The next bubble
Fracking: The next bubble? - Salon.com

“I’ve spent thousands of hours working through data and consulting and collaborating with very knowledgeable colleagues,” said Art Berman, an oil and gas geologist who heads Labyrinth Consulting, a Houston-based geological consulting firm. “Right now, everybody’s losing money. And the whole picture is highly tenuous.”

Berman, after digging into the true numbers of these shale gas plays a few years ago, was one of the first in the oil and gas industry to publicly question the shale gas boom narrative. What he found was exceedingly high production decline rates from the shale gas wells, which forced operators to maintain a furious drilling pace just to keep up with production targets.

There is no shale revolution. Stop lying to people so that you and your cronies can get rich off the unwitting who buy your bubble-inflating propaganda.

STFU.

Last edited:

Yeah, that's what I thought you'd punt to.

Punt to? Sorry Jiggsy but you had your chance, you picked your favorite report, and 10 seconds later it became obvious that you did NOT read it, you didn't understand it, and couldn't parrot your way out of it becoming obvious to everyone.

The world peaked, remember? But we're all still here, the economy truddles along, your religious beliefs are generally in retreat, and you never did bring back any priests of that religion with functioning brain cells. So go troll a moron forum somewhere, try and find some converts there (although admittedly they might be to smart for you as well).

Jiggs Casey said:
Coward. ... I especially love the unfalsifiable claim regarding your business life. Clear sign of a bullshit artist at work, avoiding 3rd-party links we can all verify, and instead making boasts of how awesome he/she is on the job. LOL.

Coward? I am in Pittsburgh this evening, and for the next 3 days I will be wandering around the AAPG national convention. Get a copy of the technical program, my name is in there at least twice on talks.

AAPG Annual Convention & Exhibition - Pittsburgh 2013

What are the morons like you doing right now? Let me speculate...you AREN'T at the place where the geology disputing your religious beliefs is being demonstrated on a near hourly basis.

When you can do more than parrot some religious talking points, let us know, I'll try and reserve a room and round up some geologists to listen to your sophomoric interpretation of why the world is running out of oil. After they all stop laughing, I'll buy the drinks so you can drown your embarrassment.

Now find that rock to hide under before you display another one of your "i'll trade you 3 for 2" moments, and set the 2nd grade math students all atwitter over your astounding poor intellectual capabilities.

wdst_new_photo_gal__photo_764601715_md.png

Why Anti-Fracking Environmentalists Are Holding Back the U.S.

The real story on fracking, say scientists, is that the risks are small and the rewards immense.

John Stossel | March 13, 2013

Hollywood gave an Oscar to "Gasland," a documentary that suggests fracking will shove gas into some people's drinking water, so the water will burn. It's true that some water contains so much natural gas that you can light it.

But another documentary, "FrackNation," shows that gas got into plumbing long before fracking came. There's gas in the earth. That's why it's called "natural gas." Some gets into well water. Environmental officials investigated the flames shown in "Gasland" and concluded that the pollution had nothing to do with fracking.

"FrackNation" director Phelim McAleer tried to confront "Gasland" director Josh Fox about this, but Fox wouldn't answer his questions. Instead, he demanded to know whom McAleer works for. He also turned down my invitations to publicly debate fracking. Many activists don't like to answer questions that don't fit their narrative.

Even some homeowners who filed a lawsuit claiming that their water was poisoned by fracking weren't happy to learn that their water is safe. I'd think they would be delighted, but "FrackNation" shows a couple reacting with outrage when environmental officials test their water and find it clean.

Some won't be happy unless we go back to what we did before industrialization: burn lots of trees and die young.

Why Anti-Fracking Environmentalists Are Holding Back the U.S. - Reason.com

If you want to address industrial risk, look no further than Agriculture.
Openly polluting our air, land, and water... reaping massive profits, exporting hundreds of millions of metric tons of OUR food while we pay record prices for groceries.

The worst part of it all? No one gives a flying fuck.

RIGZONE - Oil, Gas Activity Boosts North Dakota, Texas Economies

North Dakota experienced the largest increase in real gross domestic product (GDP) out of all the U.S. states in 2012 thanks to oil and gas exploration and production activity, the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) reported Thursday.

North Dakota's real GDP grew 13.4 percent last year, higher than the U.S. real GDP by state growth of 2.5 percent in 2012 and 1.6 percent increase recorded in 2011. The mining industry, which includes oil and gas, contributed 3.26 percentage points to the state's real GDP growth, BEA reported.

Gosh there's a lot of goop in the ground...

and it's being accessed with hydraulic fracturing. :thup:

Shale oil, gas 'abundant' in the world, EIA says - Energy Ticker - MarketWatch

Shale oil and gas are “abundant” around the globe, and the world has 10% more shale gas resources than the Energy Information Administration estimated just two years ago.

The new report, released Monday, took advantage of new geological research and well drilling results to paint a more complete picture of shale oil and gas outside the U.S. and Canada, the two only two countries that have been able to produce commercial quantities of both.

Forum List

Back