U.S. govt wants LOCKOUT on smartphones to stop text-driving - This is long overdue

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Bad drivers are the biggest crime problem we have .

U.S. government wants to lock out most phone apps while driving

nov 23 2016 The U.S. government wants smartphone makers to lock out most apps when the phone is being used by someone driving a car.

Voluntary guidelines unveiled Wednesday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are designed to reduce crashes caused by drivers distracted by phones.

Drivers could still make calls, but the phones and automaker systems would lock out the ability to enter text. Internet browsing, video not related to driving, text from books, and photos also would be locked out. Navigation systems would be permitted, but with guidelines on how to avoid driver distraction.

Fatal crashes caused by distracted drivers are on the rise, and that's contributing to a spike in traffic deaths during the past two years.

The government says 3,477, or about 10 per cent, of the more than 35,000 traffic fatalities last year involved distracted drivers. That's up 8.8 per cent over 2014. Traffic deaths spiked 10.4 per cent in the first six months of this year and rose 7.2 per cent last year, after years of declines.

Yes smart phones are a huge problem for drivers. Having to deal with the bulky phone is one thing, and then navigating a screen to do things is the worst problem of all.

Weaving drivers used to be drunks, now they are the ones dicking around with their phone.

I agree with the concept, but as noted the technology for this just doesn't exist yet, plus it'd have to determine that say the kid in the backseat isn't driving. I'm not sure how a tech could figure that out honestly.

nov 23 2016 The U.S. government wants smartphone makers to lock out most apps when the phone is being used by someone driving a car.

Voluntary guidelines unveiled Wednesday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are designed to reduce crashes caused by drivers distracted by phones.

Drivers could still make calls, but the phones and automaker systems would lock out the ability to enter text. Internet browsing, video not related to driving, text from books, and photos also would be locked out. Navigation systems would be permitted, but with guidelines on how to avoid driver distraction.

Fatal crashes caused by distracted drivers are on the rise, and that's contributing to a spike in traffic deaths during the past two years.

The government says 3,477, or about 10 per cent, of the more than 35,000 traffic fatalities last year involved distracted drivers. That's up 8.8 per cent over 2014. Traffic deaths spiked 10.4 per cent in the first six months of this year and rose 7.2 per cent last year, after years of declines.
And someone will learn how to crack into them anyways. NONE of the governments business what people are doing while driving. If its against state law then people can get tickets. I listen to my spotify when driving I hook it up and let it play and when I am at a stop sign or traffic light I might change the song....I might text. NEVER had an accident been driving 16 years.

And someone will learn how to crack into them anyways. NONE of the governments business what people are doing while driving. If its against state law then people can get tickets. I listen to my spotify when driving I hook it up and let it play and when I am at a stop sign or traffic light I might change the song....I might text. NEVER had an accident been driving 16 years.
. So your one of the ones that I got to blow the horn at when the light has been green for a few seconds... lol

. So your one of the ones that I got to blow the horn at when the light has been green for a few seconds... lol
Lol. I don't think so...never had it happen before. I use my spotify and text so often I can do it without looking down at it. I deal with the same kind of idiots....some people can multitask but most can't. lol

So many of our far right want Big Government to step in instead of demand personal responsibility.

Hypocrites, as always.

I don't text and drive. I do, however, use the phone for maps and directions. So, they better figure out which is which before some crap ass lock out. I ran into a problem the other day with my provider trying to lock me out of the phone while I am trying to figure out where I need to go. I had not had to deal with that before. Since it can't figure out which is which then they can fuck off. The app must go.

Last edited:
Nothing gets their attention like pulling in front of them and slamming on your brakes and swerving at them.

Maybe you haven't had an accident but you lie a lot. My bet is you're the one swerving in and out of your own lane. Seriously, idiots like you who say they haven't had accidents are the ones who are causing them.

Hang up and drive.

And, dumb as dog doo, there's no "a" on the end of "anyway". I strongly suggest you finish the 4th grade..

What happened to the right's "personal responsibility" thing?

Weaving drivers used to be drunks, now they are the ones dicking around with their phone.
. Had two vehicles this week cross the center line on me (head on). Both were messing with their phones.
I drive a stretch of 2 lane highway for work and no lie there is at least one accident a day. Many are rear end coll

You may be skilled with your phone but out of every 100 drivers I'm guessing there are a bunch that aren't. It only takes one idiot to ruin your day.

What happened to the right's "personal responsibility" thing?

I've never seen any evidence that the right takes responsibility for anything they say or do.

Its always the fault of someone else. Blacks, Latinos, gays, women, vets - the RWNJs always find someone else to blame for their own failures.

Forum List

Back