U.S. govt wants LOCKOUT on smartphones to stop text-driving - This is long overdue

Bad drivers are the biggest crime problem we have .

U.S. government wants to lock out most phone apps while driving

nov 23 2016 The U.S. government wants smartphone makers to lock out most apps when the phone is being used by someone driving a car.

Voluntary guidelines unveiled Wednesday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are designed to reduce crashes caused by drivers distracted by phones.

Drivers could still make calls, but the phones and automaker systems would lock out the ability to enter text. Internet browsing, video not related to driving, text from books, and photos also would be locked out. Navigation systems would be permitted, but with guidelines on how to avoid driver distraction.

Fatal crashes caused by distracted drivers are on the rise, and that's contributing to a spike in traffic deaths during the past two years.

The government says 3,477, or about 10 per cent, of the more than 35,000 traffic fatalities last year involved distracted drivers. That's up 8.8 per cent over 2014. Traffic deaths spiked 10.4 per cent in the first six months of this year and rose 7.2 per cent last year, after years of declines.

What happened to the right's "personal responsibility" thing?

I've never seen any evidence that the right takes responsibility for anything they say or do.

Its always the fault of someone else. Blacks, Latinos, gays, women, vets - the RWNJs always find someone else to blame for their own failures.

Yeah, it's one of those buzz words they use at times, but at other times they hate.

They love capitalism, unless someone else is making money. They love rights, unless someone else is enjoying rights. They love smaller govt, unless they're in govt.

nov 23 2016 The U.S. government wants smartphone makers to lock out most apps when the phone is being used by someone driving a car.

Voluntary guidelines unveiled Wednesday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are designed to reduce crashes caused by drivers distracted by phones.

Drivers could still make calls, but the phones and automaker systems would lock out the ability to enter text. Internet browsing, video not related to driving, text from books, and photos also would be locked out. Navigation systems would be permitted, but with guidelines on how to avoid driver distraction.

Fatal crashes caused by distracted drivers are on the rise, and that's contributing to a spike in traffic deaths during the past two years.

The government says 3,477, or about 10 per cent, of the more than 35,000 traffic fatalities last year involved distracted drivers. That's up 8.8 per cent over 2014. Traffic deaths spiked 10.4 per cent in the first six months of this year and rose 7.2 per cent last year, after years of declines.

We'd be further ahead if the government took your guns away from you. They serve no useful purpose to speak of.

I agree with the concept, but as noted the technology for this just doesn't exist yet, plus it'd have to determine that say the kid in the backseat isn't driving. I'm not sure how a tech could figure that out honestly.

I assume it would apply to all phones in the car, not just ones in use by the driver. That's the way it should be - like the open bottle laws most states have.

So many of our far right want Big Government to step in instead of demand personal responsibility.

HAHAHA. What a stupid thing to say. Do you also want drunk driving legalized? Leave that up to "personal responsibility" too.??? It's the same thing, you idiot.

This is an area where PSAs would do a lot of good. Put some on TV saying something like "text-drivers are dangerous psychopaths with no concern for the lives of others". Instead the networks run commercials and TV shows that GLORIFY text driving!!!

We'd be further ahead if the government took your guns away from you. They serve no useful purpose to speak of.

BS - i need more guns. Never know when some stupid lib is gonna smart off to me.

Shit. Taking your guns away from you and all your bonehead pals will save the lives of nearly 40,000 people a year. And close to 100,000 wounded. It's gonna happen. You can count on it.

Shit. Taking your guns away from you and all your bonehead pals will save the lives of nearly 40,000 people a year. And close to 100,000 wounded. It's gonna happen. You can count on it.

Liar. Annual gun deaths are just 32,000 a year and half of those are suicides and don't count.

Fact is if we banned guns, gun deaths would skyrocket because the killers would still have guns and ordinary people wouldn't. We need MORE guns in the hands of good people.

BTW - highway deaths are 35,000 a year and it would be easy to cut that to 1,000, but libs say no.

TExt-driving should be a felony with automatic loss of license for 5 years. There is really no excuse. People can drive drunk without knowing they are drunk or speed without knowing that. Not so with text-driving. It is deliberate in every case.

It's a personal responsibility to not drink and drive, are you Liberals saying it's an intrusion on personal rights to have DUI laws? Texting and driving is EXACTLY the same issue as drunk driving. It is impaired driving caused by a poor personal choice.

It's a personal responsibility to not drink and drive, are you Liberals saying it's an intrusion on personal rights to have DUI laws? Texting and driving is EXACTLY the same issue as drunk driving. It is impaired driving caused by a poor personal choice.

Sorry bub. Unless they blow a .8 they're not drunk.

. Bullshit.

Sorry bub. Unless they blow a .8 they're not drunk.
. Reaching for that next one to finish the job should do it, so I guess it all depends on when the cop stops you.

Im ready and willing to let them lock my phone out anytime at all when Im driving.
I hate the phone going off when I drive, I usually turn it off when Im in the car but sometimes I forget.
I can go all day without a single text or call, but the second my fat happy ass hits the car seat that phone goes off like alarms at a nuclear weapons site during an emergency.
Couple years ago my cell phone kept ringing while I was driving, wouldnt stop. I was on the beltway around DC (495), I had just passed the I-95 ramp on the inner loop when it started ringing again, Phone was still ringing when it hit the beltway at 65mph. I went well over a year without ever replacing the phone. I did get a new one because the new job required I be in contact 24 hours a day if needed.

Then how would I shoot those ignorant MF's drifting in and out of their lane while they concentrate on texting about their date last night, or the concert or lunch or the newly formed oozing blisters on their genitals after paying that lady behind the 7-11 dumpster 5 bucks for sex.

Then how would I shoot those ignorant MF's drifting in and out of their lane while they concentrate on texting about their date last night, or the concert or lunch or the newly formed oozing blisters on their genitals after paying that lady behind the 7-11 dumpster 5 bucks for sex.

People like you are the reason why guns should be banned altogether.

While I do agree that cellphone distracted drivers are a serious threat - perhaps even more of a threat than terrorism frankly, I'm quite certain they kill more folks, just not all at the same time...

That said, as a regular passenger in vehicles, I do often use my phone whilst riding and I would be a bit grumpy to lose my ability to chat and use the internet while riding (another example is that we oft have our kido look up what time places close and so forth while on the move)

I personally hate folks that even talk on cell phones while driving (in fact it's illegal to do so on our military bases up here) however, there needs to be a way to establish who's driving and who's riding before it would be feasible... I'm just not sure how the heck to do that without some kind of "personal responsibility" being attached to it - like for the kids I could imagine having a key cover that indicates the cellphone shouldn't be used, or even an attachment to say the ignition/seatbelt alarm/radio that's got the kids cell number and activates the lock out program via bluetooth. BUT of course, in the case of adults that's relying on them to be responsible which they clearly are not.

On base it's a $600 ticket if you're caught talking or texting on the phone while driving (and thus 90% follow the rules.) I'd say this idea is the best way, but it's entirely possible that this only works on the military base or up here as we are mostly republicans and have a strong respect for rules and laws that doesn't seem at all to be the case in the lower 48.

How do you tell someone is not driving and merely a passenger in a car?

How do you tell a person is not on a bus or a train while they are texting?

Forum List

Back