UN: Colo., Wash. legal pot violates drug treaties

American Military is already under UN Control, soon all Americans will be too!

Then we can finally get rid of the Constitution!

Indeed, recreational drugs should be legalized nationally and at the state level. The "War on Drugs" is nothing more than a revenue vacuum.

"But oh, the horror!" you say. Thousands of drug users on our streets! What about our children, and our puppies?"

A clue: The users are there even now. The modern Prohibition has done nothing more or less than the first one against alcohol did, which is jack up the price, move the revenue collected into the criminal and (today) terrorist camps, and fill the prisons. People that use drugs are like people who breathe. They won't stop unless you kill them.

Ergo ...

As to international treaties, there are quite a number that should be reassessed, or dispensed with altogether, and not just those involving drug trafficking..

Last edited:
Since the op is about a un treaty, that's what I will comment on.

All treaties, including this one, have to be voted on and approved by our congress. This one was, and signed by a president.
We gave our word to abide by this treaty. We could work to change it, but simply ignoring it is breaking our word, as a nation.

If any of you have known a drunk or a drug addict, that is standard behavior.

The word of a drunk or a druggie is worthless-fact.

So by ignoring a legally signed treaty only serves to put the entire nation on par with the drunks and drug addicts.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

HERE ARE THE CLEAR IRREFUTABLE FACTS: The U.S. Supreme Court has made it very clear that

1) Treaties do not override the U.S. Constitution.

2) Treaties cannot amend the Constitution. And last,

3) A treaty can be nullified by a statute passed by the U.S. Congress (or by a sovereign State or States if Congress refuses to do so), when the State deems a treaty the performance of a treaty is self-destructive. The law of self-preservation overrules the law of obligation in others. When you've read this thoroughly, hopefully, you will never again sit quietly by when someone -- anyone -- claims that treaties supersede the Constitution. Help to dispel this myth.
State Rights | Treaties Do Not Supersede the Constitution

HERE ARE THE CLEAR IRREFUTABLE FACTS: The U.S. Supreme Court has made it very clear that

3) A treaty can be nullified by a statute passed by the U.S. Congress (or by a sovereign State or States if Congress refuses to do so), when the State deems a treaty the performance of a treaty is self-destructive. The law of self-preservation overrules the law of obligation in others. When you've read this thoroughly, hopefully, you will never again sit quietly by when someone -- anyone -- claims that treaties supersede the Constitution. Help to dispel this myth.

And federal law trumps state law. Since pot is illegal under federal law, the treaty will be upheld.
Not once did I say anything about constitutional questions of a treaty.

Last edited:

And federal law trumps state law. Since pot is illegal under federal law, the treaty will be upheld.

I wonder if the UN is going to send troops to the Netherlands to root out the "Coffee" shops?

I also wonder if it wasn't the US who pushed for all of these stupid drug war laws in the UN to begin with?

Not exactly.

The Marihuana (their spelling) Tax Act places a tax, on cannabis. There is no direct outlawing on a federal level.

Also, the 10th amendment leaves the federal government with little support for it's position. Should this go before the current SCOTUS, the federal government would lose. Should Obama be able to stuff another Kagan style anti-constitution justice on the court, then who knows?

Sent from my Microsoft Surface Pro - using a real keyboard.

Federal penalties for possession of marijuana:

Penalty Details

Possession of marijuana is punishable by up to one year in jail and a minimum fine of $1,000 for a first conviction. For a second conviction, the penalties increase to a 15-day mandatory minimum sentence with a maximum of two years in prison and a fine of up to $2,500. Subsequent convictions carry a 90-day mandatory minimum sentence and a maximum of up to three years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

Distribution of a small amount of marijuana, for no remuneration, is treated as possession. Manufacture or distribution of less than 50 plants or 50 kilograms of marijuana is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. For 50-99 plants or 50-99 kilograms the penalty increases not more than 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $1 million if an individual, $5 million if other than an individual for the first offense. Manufacture or distribution of 100-999 plants or 100-999 kilograms carries a penalty of 5 - 40 years in prison and a fine of $2-$5 Million. For 1000 plants or 1000 kilograms or more, the penalty increases to 10 years - life in prison and a fine of $4-$10 Million.

Distribution of greater than 5 grams of marijuana to a minor under the age of 21 doubles the possible penalties. Distribution within 1,000 feet of a school, playground, public housing or within 100 feet of a youth center, public pool or video arcade also doubles the possible penalties.

The sale of paraphernalia is punishable by up to three years in prison.

The sentence of death can be carried out on a defendant who has been found guilty of manufacturing, importing or distributing a controlled substance if the act was committed as part of a continuing criminal enterprise – but only if the defendant is (1) the principal administrator, organizer, or leader of the enterprise or is one of several such principal administrators, organizers, or leaders, and (2) the quantity of the controlled substance is 60,000 kilograms or more of a mixture or substance containing a detectable amount of marijuana, or 60,000 or more marijuana plants, or the if the enterprise received more than $20 million in gross receipts during any 12-month period of its existence.

LINK: FEDERAL Penalties

I have seen 40 years go by and still government is making a big deal about weed.
Let my people smoke....

Forum List

Back