United States charges tariffs that are slightly higher, on average, than Canada’s

Ted Frazier

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2016
when President Trump recently complained about the tariffs that Canada imposes on milk imports ( over 200%) I thought: wow, how unfair.
But then I set out to find out whether Trump was cherry picking products so I wanted to know which country has the more expensive tariffs in general, not just on one product.

This article had my answer:
But on average, U.S. tariffs are on par with those of other rich, developed countries, which tend to be low, according to the World Bank and the United Nations.

Among the developed nations that make up the Group of 7 that met in a resort town near Quebec City over the weekend, the United States has tariffs that are slightly higher, on average, across all its imported products than Canada or Japan and exactly equivalent to the four European nations in the G-7.

Trump’s claims of unfair tariffs ring hollow to U.S. trading partners

since when has Trump told the truth ?

Canadian farmers received an average price of C$0.79 a litre for milk, compared with C$0.49 on average for US farmers.

The result is that dairying remains a key economic support of traditional rural life throughout central Canada. As critics of the system like to point out, hoping to inspire resentment among consumers annoyed by the price of milk, Canadian dairy farmers enjoy incomes 60% above average in the country. But to supporters, the uniquely prosperous, protected Canadian dairy industry stands as a model alternative to the increasingly disruptive and unpopular dynamic of unrestricted free trade in all things.

Why Canadian milk infuriates Donald Trump

Last edited:
Why not just as Trump suggests? Get rid of ALL TARIFFS FROM ALL COUNTRIES/. BAN TARIFFS ALTOGETHER!

Sounds like a good idea to me!

when President Trump recently complained about the tariffs that Canada imposes on milk imports ( over 200%) I thought: wow, how unfair.
But then I set out to find out whether Trump was cherry picking products so I wanted to know which country has the more expensive tariffs in general, not just on one product.

But on average, U.S. tariffs are on par with those of other rich, developed countries, which tend to be low, according to the World Bank and the United Nations.

Among the developed nations that make up the Group of 7 that met in a resort town near Quebec City over the weekend, the United States has tariffs that are slightly higher, on average, across all its imported products than Canada or Japan and exactly equivalent to the four European nations in the G-7.

What he also ignores is that our dairy farmers receive more than 70% of their income from government subsidies...which has the same effect as a tariff.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Notice how criminal libs always side with any country except their own?

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Commerce Department said on Thursday it made a final finding that imports of Canadian softwood lumber are being unfairly subsidized and dumped in the United States, escalating a trade dispute with Canada in the midst of NAFTA trade talks. Its not just dairy.

The decision follows failed talks to end the decades-long lumber dispute between the United States and Canada.

“This decision is based on a full and unbiased review of the facts in an open and transparent process that defends American workers and businesses from unfair trade practices.”

James Brochu, co-chair of the U.S. Lumber Coalition and president of Pleasant River Lumber Company, said U.S. lumber companies can now expand production to meet demand in the United States.

The massive subsidies the Canadian government provides to their lumber industries have caused real harm to U.S. producers and their workers,” said Brochu.

RW capitalists who dont believe in free trade.

good to know.

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Commerce Department said on Thursday it made a final finding that imports of Canadian softwood lumber are being unfairly subsidized and dumped in the United States, escalating a trade dispute with Canada in the midst of NAFTA trade talks. Its not just dairy.

The decision follows failed talks to end the decades-long lumber dispute between the United States and Canada.

“This decision is based on a full and unbiased review of the facts in an open and transparent process that defends American workers and businesses from unfair trade practices.”

James Brochu, co-chair of the U.S. Lumber Coalition and president of Pleasant River Lumber Company, said U.S. lumber companies can now expand production to meet demand in the United States.

The massive subsidies the Canadian government provides to their lumber industries have caused real harm to U.S. producers and their workers,” said Brochu.

Wow, just like we do with our dairy products.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

From the US Chamber of Commerce:

While the United States receives substantial benefits from trade, there is more than a grain of truth in the observation that the international playing field is unfairly tilted against American workers. The U.S. market is largely open to imports from around the world, but other countries continue to levy steep tariffs on U.S. exports, and foreign governments have erected other kinds of barriers against U.S. goods and services.

Americans rightly sense that this status quo is unfair to U.S. workers, farmers, and businesses. U.S. goods arriving in foreign markets face an average tariff of 5.9%, according to the World Economic Forum’s latest Global Enabling Trade Report. That’s more than four times the U.S. level, but key U.S. manufactured and agricultural exports often face tariffs in the double digits in emerging markets.

Note: I looked it up myself, what I found was US goods facing a 4.9% average tariff, compared to our average tariff of 1.4%. Which is about 3 and a half times less than what US companies have to pay to sell stuff in foreign markets, and that's what Trump is bitching about. That data was from the 2016 GETR, based on data from 2015, maybe the USCoC has more recent info. I do believe Trump has a point, the US is not getting a fair shake on int'l trade deals and I see no reason why that should not be addressed. One could question his methods though, are there other and better ways?

^

Links are useful, so we can tell wtf you're talking about.

These figures make a bit of a mockery of The Donald - as what does not?

Tariff rate

Trade-weighted average applied tariff rate (%)

Enabling Trade rankings
France and Germany at 1.0
The US at 1.4
Canada at 2.8

Last edited:

This is a problem. Too many dumb people believe anything.

Let's look at the facts. I have attached a link to the WTO. It includes an interactive map with details regarding tarrifs.

WTO | International trade and tariff data

USA: MNF Tarrif: 3.48
Canada: MNF Tarrif: 4.08
Mexico: MNF Tarrif: 7.01
China: MNF Tarrif: 9.92

^
Links are useful, so we can tell wtf you're talking about.

These figures make a bit of a mockery of The Donald - as what does not?

Tariff rate

Trade-weighted average applied tariff rate (%)

Enabling Trade rankings
France and Germany at 1.0
The US at 1.4
Canada at 2.8

Here you go:

Infographics

WA054-GETR-Shareables-20161129-5.png

I thought NAFTA removed all these tariffs??????

Forum List

Back