University tells students, staff to stop using 'he' and she'

The Politics forum is being annexed by the Rubber Room!

It's the Daily Mail... I have a friend who is on the staff there. He actually says it embarrassingly, he readily admits they make stuff up and distort the truth.
We asked him about a climate change article, this one:
Arctic sea ice boosted by a THIRD during cool summer of 2013

He straight said that was one the worst piece of journalism he ever seen up close. the truth was thrown out the window first.

The real story:
The Daily Mail and Telegraph get it wrong on Arctic sea ice, again | Dana Nuccitelli

This is so stupid, it actually does the exact opposite to what this woman wants to achieve, but looking at the physical condition of this woman she really has no idea on what is right and what is wrong.

This is fucking idiocy...Male and females is simply biology and if they think otherwise then they're insane.
I think this is about writing accurately. It really goes much further than just generic pronouns. My son is a free lance writer. He once did a piece in which the subject was a seamstress. The problem was it was a man and not a women. After he wrote the article, the gentlemen asked him not to call him a seamstress as he was man. So my son decided to substituted tailor. It was pointed out that a tailor was not the same as a seamstress. He decided on "male sewer". I read it and told him it sounded crazy. He changed it to seamster and the editor told him no one knows what a seamster is, so he changed it back to seamstress.

The problem is our language is very sexist. There are many words in our language that are gender specific even though the words now refers to either gender. At one time all nurses were women. As men became nurses, they objected to the word because most people assumed they were women when they saw that their profession was nurse.

You sure used HE a lot in your post.

Our language is very sexist?

Dear God I hate fucking liberals.

University of Tennessee tells staff and students to stop using 'he' and 'she' - and switch to 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead
  • Gay rights official at Knoxville campus wrote new language instructions
  • Tells students and staff to use unusual, gender-neutral pronouns like 'xe'
  • Donna Braquet said that the new regime would make campus 'inclusive'
  • University clarified that guidelines are not compulsory after critics called them 'absurd'

The University of Tennessee has told its staff and students to stop calling each other 'he', 'she', 'him' and 'her' - and to start referring to one another with terms like 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead.

The Knoxville branch of the public university, which has 27,400 students, sent a memo round to its members filled with unusual new parts of speech to avoid referring to anybody's gender.

According to a gay rights official at the university, the new language regime will make the university 'welcoming and inclusive' and stop people feeling 'marginalized'.

2BBF6B9F00000578-0-New_regime-a-29_1440783924924.jpg

2BBECB9900000578-0-image-a-28_1440783848511.jpg

She also advises staff members not to call roll in class, and to instead greet every student by asking them to announce their name and pronoun of preference.

Instead of 'he' and 'she', Braquet suggests four alternatives.

One is the commonplace strategy of using 'they', 'them' and 'their' for individuals rather than groups.
She also suggests 'ze' and 'xe' - both pronounced 'zhee' - and a variety of secondary conjugations to be used for anybody who rejects the traditional gender binary.

Barquet argues that if everybody follows her instructions, campus will become 'more inclusive'.

Read more: University of Tennessee: Use 'xe', 'zir', 'xyr' instead of he or she
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Oooops, did I copy and paste facts again?

tumblr_mea1glUPgB1rurv44.gif

Yes folks, this is where it is going. They have already convinced the useless idiots that the word "waitress" is offensive.

Now pronouns are offensive.

Look at the fat lesbian kuuunt with her thick dark rimmed glasses.

Just in case you all needed another legitimate reason to hate liberals more today than you did yesterday. They, are such a scourge on human liberty.

More bullshit spin - the story contradicts the thread title.

You're just a lying sack of cheese.
No matter what, you are still a Niger.

Whatever happened to the pronoun "IT"?

I use it whenever I can't tell if it is male or female. Why create new words when 'it' is gender neutral?

Just saw a story on TV about a Washington State University professor Rebecca Fowler outright banning the use of the term illegal alien & illegals. If students use the term in class 1 point is deducted from them.

Another professor, John Streamas, asks students to defer to the experiences of people of color & reflect on your own location, PRIVILEGES & POWER

Just saw a story on TV about a Washington State University professor Rebecca Fowler outright banning the use of the term illegal alien & illegals. If students use the term in class 1 point is deducted from them.

Another professor, John Streamas, asks students to defer to the experiences of people of color & reflect on your own location, PRIVILEGES & POWER

It is true. Political Correctness has run amonk!!It is turning America into a kindly FREAKY woman that lies with too many cats!! We're Doomed!!:alcoholic:

This is fucking idiocy...Male and females is simply biology and if they think otherwise then they're insane.
I think this is about writing accurately. It really goes much further than just generic pronouns. My son is a free lance writer. He once did a piece in which the subject was a seamstress. The problem was it was a man and not a women. After he wrote the article, the gentlemen asked him not to call him a seamstress as he was man. So my son decided to substituted tailor. It was pointed out that a tailor was not the same as a seamstress. He decided on "male sewer". I read it and told him it sounded crazy. He changed it to seamster and the editor told him no one knows what a seamster is, so he changed it back to seamstress.

The problem is our language is very sexist. There are many words in our language that are gender specific even though the words now refers to either gender. At one time all nurses were women. As men became nurses, they objected to the word because most people assumed they were women when they saw that their profession was nurse.

I kind of see some of your points how our language uses male and female words to describe things but did you know that the Spanish language Divided in the same way. Some say that is why Spanish is often considered a passionate language. I think if you created gender neutral words for that language it would lose some of its passion.

It just makes sense to describe some things as male and female. We describe electrical plugs as male and female connectors. We use male adjectives to describe something that is strong and female to describe something that is weak. This is because men are stronger than women so it makes sense.

There are many professions dominated by one gender or the other so we assume the proper pronoun. We use her to describe an unknown teacher since many women are school teachers. We may use him to describe a ceo since most ceo are men. An occasional mix up might happen but I'm ok with that. Whenever we make an error about someone's gender we just correct ourselves.

I honestly think the right should learn to have some fun with politics instead of getting all angry about it. Instead of being enraged we should play around with the teacher. Whenever we have to describe an illegal alien we just say blank alien and leave legal alien alone. This way we comply with all the rules and the teacher still knows what we are referring to.

University of Tennessee tells staff and students to stop using 'he' and 'she' - and switch to 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead
  • University clarified that guidelines are not compulsory after critics called them 'absurd'

The University of Tennessee has told its staff and students to stop calling each other 'he', 'she', 'him' and 'her' - and to start referring to one another with terms like 'xe', 'zir' and 'xyr' instead.

The Knoxville branch of the public university, which has 27,400 students, sent a memo round to its members filled with unusual new parts of speech to avoid referring to anybody's gender.

According to a gay rights official at the university, the new language regime will make the university 'welcoming and inclusive' and stop people feeling 'marginalized'.

She also advises staff members not to call roll in class, and to instead greet every student by asking them to announce their name and pronoun of preference.

One is the commonplace strategy of using 'they', 'them' and 'their' for individuals rather than groups.
She also suggests 'ze' and 'xe' - both pronounced 'zhee' - and a variety of secondary conjugations to be used for anybody who rejects the traditional gender binary.

Barquet argues that if everybody follows her instructions, campus will become 'more inclusive'.

Yes folks, this is where it is going. They have already convinced the useless idiots that the word "waitress" is offensive.

Just in case you all needed another legitimate reason to hate liberals more today than you did yesterday. They, are such a scourge on human liberty.
As crazy as this sounds it does make a bit of sense. "He or she" is just plain awkward in many contexts.

Only to a lunatic.

The OP is a nutbag and, therefore, will believe just about anything.

The thread title is not accurate.
Inaccurate?

How so?

Other than, perhaps, changing the thread title to read...

"University of Tennessee tells staff that "he" and "she" are not sufficiently inclusive, and that "xe", "zir" and "xyr" would be better, with a fall-back position of asking people beforehand which pronoun-set they would like to be attributed to them"

When, in actuality, the thread-title should probably have read...

"Shit-for-Brains University of Tennessee leadership pushing staff to drop 'he' and 'she' in favor of Lib-Babel made-up 'ze' and 'zir' and 'xyr' in order to make freaks feel more welcome"

The level of owlian butthurt all over USMB is quite entertaining.

So, this is what Donna Braquet actually wrote:

Inclusive Practice: Pronoun Usage | Office for Diversity and Inclusion

She is not the "gay officer" at UT.

She works at the Office for Diversity and Inclusion

Inclusive Practice: Pronoun Usage | Office for Diversity and Inclusion

In the first weeks of classes, instead of calling roll, ask everyone to provide their name and pronouns. This ensures you are not singling out transgender or non-binary students. The name a student uses may not be the one on the official roster, and the roster name may not be the same gender as the one the student now uses.

This practice works outside of the classroom as well. You can start meetings with requesting introductions that include names and pronouns, introduce yourself with your name and chosen pronouns, or when providing nametags, ask attendees to write in their name and pronouns.

That being said, I found the chart to be bizarre and unneccessary.

Inaccurate?

How so?

"University of Tennessee tells staff that "he" and "she" are not sufficiently inclusive, and that "xe", "zir" and "xyr" would be better, with a fall-back position of asking people beforehand which pronoun-set they would like to be attributed to them"

"Shit-for-Brains University of Tennessee leadership pushing staff to drop 'he' and 'she' in favor of Lib-Babel made-up 'ze' and 'zir' and 'xyr' in order to make freaks feel more welcome"

Read the article. Nobody was told to do anything by the university. You have been duped again

Inaccurate?

How so?

Read the article. Nobody was told to do anything by the university. You have been duped again

that's right.

They were suggestions from the Office of Inclusion, not directives.

As crazy as this sounds it does make a bit of sense. "He or she" is just plain awkward in many contexts.
He or she is NEVER awkward to rational human beings.

I concur.

Our species, Homo Sapiens, has TWO genders.

End of story.

...Read the article. Nobody was told to do anything by the university. You have been duped again
I read the article in the UK paper, and then I linked to the University's own website, and its Diversity subset, where the 'Voluntary Policy' was outlined.

Strictly speaking, nobody 'told' staff to do anything, but, this 'Voluntary Policy' initiative is being undertaken under the aegis of University leadership.

Just how 'voluntary' do you think that this 'policy initiative' will be viewed, by faculty and staff, whose very tenures and livelihoods depend upon the goodwill of that leadership?

If this is not a direction that University leadership wants to go, they would take down the missive.

To date, they have not.

Your Honor, the Prosecution rests.

...Read the article. Nobody was told to do anything by the university. You have been duped again
I read the article in the UK paper, and then I linked to the University's own website, and its Diversity subset, where the 'Voluntary Policy' was outlined.

Strictly speaking, nobody 'told' staff to do anything, but, this 'Voluntary Policy' initiative is being undertaken under the aegis of University leadership.

Just how 'voluntary' do you think that this 'policy initiative' will be viewed, by faculty and staff, whose very tenures and livelihoods depend upon the goodwill of that leadership?

If this is not a direction that University leadership wants to go, they would take down the missive.

To date, they have not.

Your Honor, the Prosecution rests.

nothing new, KONDOR------I did my professional post graduate training----early 70s ------my school decided that
we NEEDED a whole week of intensive IMPLOSION therapy desensitizing us to <gasp> SEX. ---------a progressive school----they even got MASTERS and JOHNSON in.
We were taught-----"sex is a continuum"----there is no actual
male or female. We are all POINTS ON THE CONTINUUM----and----the reason some four year olds think they are "girls"---
is because we dress them in PINK!!!!!. Of course the biological issues were -----big issues. Developementally----
------all embryos have the potential to develope to ANY POINT
ON THE CONTINUUM. -------------given the right hormones and stimulating factors---------therefore there is no HE or SHE----only POINTS ON THE CONTINUUM-----------of course the lectures led to the obvious question " so when a baby is born I am supposed to tell the family -------your wife (daughter, sister, aunt) just gave birth to a POINT ON THE
CONTINUUM???????"

Forum List

Back