Unpatriotic Dems In Virginia Erases Confederate Holiday

Karen who?​
AGAIN -- the Professor's full name and credentials were already spelled out in the post. Perhaps you were too busy going :lalala: at the rest of the post and washing it down the drain so you could pretend it wasn't there. I went back and made those credentials real big so even you might find it.

Why should I take her opinion as fact?
She's a degreed (PhD) historian and Professor, founding Director of the UNC graduate public history program and author.

And your degree is.......... 98.6?
Doctor of Message Board Whining?

YOu libs are just going in circles. You are just bringing up points, that have already been refuted.
Actually it's documented history. Show me where what I posted "has been refuted". Show me where it's even been brought up. I didn't know about the Concord Klan monument until this. Did you?

For five generations, since the immediate aftermath of the war, the nation as a whole has accepted the South having regional pride in their heritage and culture as a part of the larger American identity.

Uh huh.

Link?

Why should I take your opinion as fact?

This has served this nation well, healing the wounds of the war and moving the nation forward past past conflicts.

That you libs today, want to reopen old wounds, is primary, about you people the bad guys.

Tissue?

My opinion is backed up by history. The policy of reconciliation and the way the South has been a valuable and patriotic part of American, instead of a restive and troublesome conquered territory is well known.

Tell me which part you claim to be ignorant of, and promise that you will admit it, when I post documentation, and I will be happy to do so.

As to the Professor, just being an Authority, is not a supporting argument. Your desire to Appeal to Authority is denied. Her assertion was weakly supported at best. A few statements from a few people, across generations of time, and vast geographical areas and scores of millions of people, prove nothing.

That was my point with, "Karen who"? I thought I spelled that out well enough, in the portion of the post you cut.

The fact REMAINS, like it or lump it, that she's qualified to speak on this and you're not. You don't even frickin' acknowledge its existence. That's why you cut out vast sections of my post that proved its existence.

As far as the "everybody (white) was fine with it", I covered that literally hundreds of posts ago, last week. You cut that one out too.

As I said, if you're going to sit in the corner going :lalala: you can successfully block it out but it never means it isn't there.

I willing to listen to the argument she makes, or any evidence she supports. But all you showed me, was an assertion very weakly supported by a few quotes from individuals that were not representing or leading the movement that she was attacking.

If I said that the Democratic Party was the party of racism, and as support from my position, I offered some quotes from a few party officials at the country level in LA and NYC, that would not support my argument.

What you need is something from the founding documents or formal policy position or at last long standing practice, by the group as a whole to smear the group as a whole.

It's nice to cherrypick a single woman and pretend she's some sort of lone voice while ignoring her credentials, but number one, the article I linked (which you cut out as inconvenient so here it comes again) ALREADY quotes UDC former Chapter President Heidi Christensen introducing the Klan promotions;

Number two, the same article also quotes, AND LINKS for perusal, the UDC's children's book about the Klan, written by one Laura Martin Rose of the Mississippi Chapter;

Number three the same article also quotes yet another historian/Professor, Elizabeth Gillespie McRae describing how the UDC did “the daily work on multiple levels . . . needed to sustain racial segregation and to shape resistance to racial equality.”;

Number four, the same article also quotes yet another UDC Chapter President, Annie Cooper Burton, who wrote the second cited Klan book;

Most if not ALL of these were already quoted in the post you wiped out. Now you want to pretend they were never there??

Want a third historian?

"Like the KKK's children's groups, the UDC utilized the Children of the Confederacy to impart to the rising generations their own white-supremacist vision of the future." -- DuRocher, Kristina (2011). Raising racists : the socialization of white children in the Jim Crow South. University Press of Kentucky. ISBN 978-0-8131-3001-9.

Want a fourth? How 'bout Professor, Stuart Towns, stating that the UDC's thrust is one of the "essential elements [of] perpetuating Confederate mythology." -- Towns, W. Stuart (2012). Enduring Legacy: Rhetoric and Ritual of the Lost Cause. University of Alabama Press. ISBN 978-0-8173-1752-2. Some of his books are here.

And oh yes, both of these hold PhDs as well. As you know, "PhD" stands for "Pshaw-- hide Dis, it's inconvenent".

But leave us not stop there. From Angela Esco Elder, Graduate Alumnus at the University of Georgia:

>> Athens native Mildred Lewis Rutherford was probably the most prominent member of the UDC. Rutherford led a crusade for what she believed to be the true history of the Confederacy in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Strongly opposed to woman suffrage, Rutherford argued that the ideal woman should be deferential to men and remain in the home. She believed that all women should hold the plantation mistress as a role model. In addition to defending secession, Rutherford glorified both the plantation system and slavery in antebellum Georgia. The textbooks she wrote, as well as her choice of which ones to censor, serve as a testament to a Confederate history that attempted to legitimize the control of southern elites. From 1899 to 1902 Rutherford served as the Georgia Division's president, and from 1911 to 1916 she served as historian general of the national organization.

Around 1915 Caroline Helen Jemison Plane, the president of the UDC Atlanta chapter, began the project that would culminate in the Confederate memorial carving on Stone Mountain. As leader of the Stone Mountain Memorial Association (incorporated in 1916 as the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association), she solicited the support of the sculptor Gutzon Borglum and convinced the owners of the mountain to give the UDC access to the property. In addition to the carving of Confederate heroes, Plane wanted Ku Klux Klan members to appear in the design.

... From 1953 to 1955 Mabel Sessions Dennis served as president general of the national UDC. Born in De Soto, in Sumter County, she held many positions in the group before leading the national organization. During her administration she organized the national [General] Children of the Confederacy. Comprising thousands of members today, the organization inducts children under the age of eighteen who can provide proof that they are descendants of honorable Confederate soldiers. The membership creed states a "desire to perpetuate, in love and honor, the heroic deeds of those who enlisted in the Confederate Services" and "teach the truths of history (one of the most important of which is, that the War Between the States was not a rebellion, nor was its underlying cause to sustain slavery)."​

From the UDC's youth indoctrination program the Children of the Confederacy reference above and their 2016 newsletter:
>> Minutes were published before the recommendation was adopted at the 2015 UDC General Convention. The phrase “. . . nor was its underlying cause to sustain slavery . . .” has been deleted from the Creed. <<

Note the date --- all of FIVE years ago. This was the UDC creed until 2015, more than a hundred years after they started running around feverishly putting up statues, rewriting schoolbooks and indoctrinating children.

There you go, FOUR MORE historians and THREE citations of UDC personnel, references to three more PLUS its own publications.

That enough authority for your wangly ass to go :lalala: to?

My point was not that she was not qualified to speak, but that Appealing to Authority is a logical fallacy and her argument was weak.

My opinion is backed up by history. The policy of reconciliation and the way the South has been a valuable and patriotic part of American, instead of a restive and troublesome conquered territory is well known.

How odd that you try to bring up a "logical fallacy" -- built on another fallacy (cherrypicking) by committing another one --- the old "Everybody Knows", argumentum ad populum.

Oh and good luck making the case that a tenured Professor with a PhD is a "weak" source.

So there you are, it's a bit long so you've got a lot of deleting and :lalala: ing to do, better get cracking.

Dismissed.

The UDC, was founded in 1894, and is still in operation. I bet if you spent the time and money, you could find just as much "evidence" of members who were Stalinist Marxist, wanting a Workers Paradise.

It would not mean that the southerns today, who support the statues they put up, are marxists, any more than a few examples of overlap with the klan means that the people that support the historical statues TODAY, are racist.

And MY point, was not that everyone knows it, but citing the documented history of reconciliation and the last 150 years of the South being a loyal part of America.

Do you really need me to literally document that? Tell me what part, and I will.

Tell me which part you claim to be ignorant of, and promise that you will admit it, when I post documentation, and I will be happy to do so.

As to the Professor, just being an Authority, is not a supporting argument. Your desire to Appeal to Authority is denied. Her assertion was weakly supported at best. A few statements from a few people, across generations of time, and vast geographical areas and scores of millions of people, prove nothing.

That was my point with, "Karen who"? I thought I spelled that out well enough, in the portion of the post you cut.

The fact REMAINS, like it or lump it, that she's qualified to speak on this and you're not. You don't even frickin' acknowledge its existence. That's why you cut out vast sections of my post that proved its existence.

As far as the "everybody (white) was fine with it", I covered that literally hundreds of posts ago, last week. You cut that one out too.

As I said, if you're going to sit in the corner going :lalala: you can successfully block it out but it never means it isn't there.

I willing to listen to the argument she makes, or any evidence she supports. But all you showed me, was an assertion very weakly supported by a few quotes from individuals that were not representing or leading the movement that she was attacking.

If I said that the Democratic Party was the party of racism, and as support from my position, I offered some quotes from a few party officials at the country level in LA and NYC, that would not support my argument.

What you need is something from the founding documents or formal policy position or at last long standing practice, by the group as a whole to smear the group as a whole.

My point was not that she was not qualified to speak, but that Appealing to Authority is a logical fallacy and her argument was weak.

It is the Democratic Party fighting to end Confederate celebrations

Guess which party wants to continue them?

The one that treats white southerns with the same respect they treat the rest of the nation, you racist prick.

What holiday does white northerners have?

How about white westerners?

Don't know, don't care, doesn't change the fact that you are singling out Southern Whites and treating them differently than every other group.

Agree

Republicans treat southern racists the same as American patriots who fought for freedom

Tens of millions of Southerns do not support historical statues because they are are racist. You are smearing good people to justify YOUR RACISM.
You are right...Tens of millions of Southerns do NOT support those statues.....because they are racist.

That is the flip side. A lot of those who do oppose the statues are racist. That is true. Especially people like RW, who long for a world where whites are second class citizens and they just accept it like bitches.
How is one racist for opposing a statue declaring the white race is superior?

You are a racist for singling out a group, based on race, for special, harsher treatment than everyone else gets.

I was clear about that. Please address my point. This bit, where you make yourself look stupid, to dodge the point, has been fun, but I think you have already convinced everyone that you are stupid.

I hope that we can move on now. And I am sure you will have additional opportunities as the discussion continues to make yourself look stupid again.

Promise.
Not based on race at all....if that were true, I would condemn all of that race. I single out a group based on their BEHAVIOR....for example: a group who BEHAVES as if a 4 year conflict is a "culture". a group who BEHAVES as if they are victims if a city or county votes to remove a statue. a group that cries that they are receiving "harsher treatment"...because they don't always get their way.

Agree

Republicans treat southern racists the same as American patriots who fought for freedom

Tens of millions of Southerns do not support historical statues because they are are racist. You are smearing good people to justify YOUR RACISM.
You are right...Tens of millions of Southerns do NOT support those statues.....because they are racist.

That is the flip side. A lot of those who do oppose the statues are racist. That is true. Especially people like RW, who long for a world where whites are second class citizens and they just accept it like bitches.
How is one racist for opposing a statue declaring the white race is superior?

You are a racist for singling out a group, based on race, for special, harsher treatment than everyone else gets.

Come on dude that is a crock of shit. Because we don't want a Confederate holiday that means we want white folks to receive harsher treatment. That's some bullsjit.

I was clear about that. Please address my point. This bit, where you make yourself look stupid, to dodge the point, has been fun, but I think you have already convinced everyone that you are stupid.

The same could be said of you.
I hope that we can move on now. And I am sure you will have additional opportunities as the discussion continues to make yourself look stupid again.

Promise.

Smfh.

Stop glorifying traitors.

Stop singling me out, based on the fact that you don't like my culture.
Your "culture"? What is your "culture"? A four year bloody event which ended with the South's "pecular institution" gone and those who started the war crushed as they should have been? The Third Reich lasted twice as long....do Germans consider the Nazi times a "culture" too?

1. Doesn't matter what my culture is, what matters is that you are an asshole for singling me out for harsher treatment based on it.

2. And we already talked about how stupid you are, when it comes to understanding that different events are treated differently. Do you still think that genocide and slavery are the same thing, or did the wizard give you a brain?
If it doesn't matter what your "culture" is....why do you bring it up?
...t.

Because you are attacking me and others like me, based on it.
I'm attacking you? You poor thing. You poor poor thing. :itsok:

The one that treats white southerns with the same respect they treat the rest of the nation, you racist prick.
Agree

What a crock of shit, nobody wants white folks to become 2nd class citizens. Most Americans want all folks to live and thrive equally in this country. Please tell me why in the hell would black folks who pay taxes want a Confederate Holiday.

RW and I have had long discussions about our view of the future. He was pretty clear in his desire to see whites discriminated against by the coming minority majority and he was shocked when I pointed out that, whites were unlikely to just take it.

Indeed, as events lent credibility to my views, he broke and become the troll you see in him today.

Don't know, don't care, doesn't change the fact that you are singling out Southern Whites and treating them differently than every other group.

That makes no sense. I am pretty sure most Southern whites don't give a damn about honoring traitors of the Confederacy.

Stop singling me out, based on the fact that you don't like my culture.
Your "culture"? What is your "culture"? A four year bloody event which ended with the South's "pecular institution" gone and those who started the war crushed as they should have been? The Third Reich lasted twice as long....do Germans consider the Nazi times a "culture" too?

1. Doesn't matter what my culture is, what matters is that you are an asshole for singling me out for harsher treatment based on it.

2. And we already talked about how stupid you are, when it comes to understanding that different events are treated differently. Do you still think that genocide and slavery are the same thing, or did the wizard give you a brain?
...t.

You asked a question. I answered it.

iF that was all you wanted it for, fuck off.

That makes no sense. I am pretty sure most Southern whites don't give a damn about honoring traitors of the Confederacy.

Polls I've heard are that most American support the historical statues, your spin not withstanding.

Karen who?​
AGAIN -- the Professor's full name and credentials were already spelled out in the post. Perhaps you were too busy going :lalala: at the rest of the post and washing it down the drain so you could pretend it wasn't there. I went back and made those credentials real big so even you might find it.

Why should I take her opinion as fact?
She's a degreed (PhD) historian and Professor, founding Director of the UNC graduate public history program and author.

And your degree is.......... 98.6?
Doctor of Message Board Whining?

YOu libs are just going in circles. You are just bringing up points, that have already been refuted.
Actually it's documented history. Show me where what I posted "has been refuted". Show me where it's even been brought up. I didn't know about the Concord Klan monument until this. Did you?

For five generations, since the immediate aftermath of the war, the nation as a whole has accepted the South having regional pride in their heritage and culture as a part of the larger American identity.

Uh huh.

Link?

Why should I take your opinion as fact?

This has served this nation well, healing the wounds of the war and moving the nation forward past past conflicts.

That you libs today, want to reopen old wounds, is primary, about you people the bad guys.

Tissue?

It's nice to cherrypick a single woman and pretend she's some sort of lone voice while ignoring her credentials, but number one, the article I linked (which you cut out as inconvenient so here it comes again) ALREADY quotes UDC former Chapter President Heidi Christensen introducing the Klan promotions;

Number two, the same article also quotes, AND LINKS for perusal, the UDC's children's book about the Klan, written by one Laura Martin Rose of the Mississippi Chapter;

Number three the same article also quotes yet another historian/Professor, Elizabeth Gillespie McRae describing how the UDC did “the daily work on multiple levels . . . needed to sustain racial segregation and to shape resistance to racial equality.”;

Number four, the same article also quotes yet another UDC Chapter President, Annie Cooper Burton, who wrote the second cited Klan book;

Most if not ALL of these were already quoted in the post you wiped out. Now you want to pretend they were never there??

Want a third historian?

"Like the KKK's children's groups, the UDC utilized the Children of the Confederacy to impart to the rising generations their own white-supremacist vision of the future." -- DuRocher, Kristina (2011). Raising racists : the socialization of white children in the Jim Crow South. University Press of Kentucky. ISBN 978-0-8131-3001-9.

Want a fourth? How 'bout Professor, Stuart Towns, stating that the UDC's thrust is one of the "essential elements [of] perpetuating Confederate mythology." -- Towns, W. Stuart (2012). Enduring Legacy: Rhetoric and Ritual of the Lost Cause. University of Alabama Press. ISBN 978-0-8173-1752-2. Some of his books are here.

And oh yes, both of these hold PhDs as well. As you know, "PhD" stands for "Pshaw-- hide Dis, it's inconvenent".

But leave us not stop there. From Angela Esco Elder, Graduate Alumnus at the University of Georgia:

>> Athens native Mildred Lewis Rutherford was probably the most prominent member of the UDC. Rutherford led a crusade for what she believed to be the true history of the Confederacy in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Strongly opposed to woman suffrage, Rutherford argued that the ideal woman should be deferential to men and remain in the home. She believed that all women should hold the plantation mistress as a role model. In addition to defending secession, Rutherford glorified both the plantation system and slavery in antebellum Georgia. The textbooks she wrote, as well as her choice of which ones to censor, serve as a testament to a Confederate history that attempted to legitimize the control of southern elites. From 1899 to 1902 Rutherford served as the Georgia Division's president, and from 1911 to 1916 she served as historian general of the national organization.

Around 1915 Caroline Helen Jemison Plane, the president of the UDC Atlanta chapter, began the project that would culminate in the Confederate memorial carving on Stone Mountain. As leader of the Stone Mountain Memorial Association (incorporated in 1916 as the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association), she solicited the support of the sculptor Gutzon Borglum and convinced the owners of the mountain to give the UDC access to the property. In addition to the carving of Confederate heroes, Plane wanted Ku Klux Klan members to appear in the design.

... From 1953 to 1955 Mabel Sessions Dennis served as president general of the national UDC. Born in De Soto, in Sumter County, she held many positions in the group before leading the national organization. During her administration she organized the national [General] Children of the Confederacy. Comprising thousands of members today, the organization inducts children under the age of eighteen who can provide proof that they are descendants of honorable Confederate soldiers. The membership creed states a "desire to perpetuate, in love and honor, the heroic deeds of those who enlisted in the Confederate Services" and "teach the truths of history (one of the most important of which is, that the War Between the States was not a rebellion, nor was its underlying cause to sustain slavery)."​

From the UDC's youth indoctrination program the Children of the Confederacy reference above and their 2016 newsletter:
>> Minutes were published before the recommendation was adopted at the 2015 UDC General Convention. The phrase “. . . nor was its underlying cause to sustain slavery . . .” has been deleted from the Creed. <<

Note the date --- all of FIVE years ago. This was the UDC creed until 2015, more than a hundred years after they started running around feverishly putting up statues, rewriting schoolbooks and indoctrinating children.

There you go, FOUR MORE historians and THREE citations of UDC personnel, references to three more PLUS its own publications.

That enough authority for your wangly ass to go :lalala: to?

How odd that you try to bring up a "logical fallacy" -- built on another fallacy (cherrypicking) by committing another one --- the old "Everybody Knows", argumentum ad populum.

Oh and good luck making the case that a tenured Professor with a PhD is a "weak" source.

So there you are, it's a bit long so you've got a lot of deleting and :lalala: ing to do, better get cracking.

Dismissed.
HEY! Stop picking on that poster!!!!

How are you poor things being treated differently?

How are you poor things being treated differently?

Hey, buddy. If you can't ask a question without being a fucking asshole, then fuck off and die.

Agree

Tens of millions of black Southerners have always been offended by Confederate celebrations

They are finally being listened to

Agree

What a crock of shit, nobody wants white folks to become 2nd class citizens. Most Americans want all folks to live and thrive equally in this country. Please tell me why in the hell would black folks who pay taxes want a Confederate Holiday.

RW and I have had long discussions about our view of the future. He was pretty clear in his desire to see whites discriminated against by the coming minority majority and he was shocked when I pointed out that, whites were unlikely to just take it.

Indeed, as events lent credibility to my views, he broke and become the troll you see in him today.
Link or admit you are lying

Agree

Tens of millions of black Southerners have always been offended by Confederate celebrations

Back southerners trump the rest of America, including the actual soldiers that fought and defeated the Confederacy?

Based on what exactly and why are they not bound by the principles of Multiculturalism?

Link or admit you are lying

Why? You can verify it, you remember. Hell, I suspect it is seared into your memory, like little else is.

So, please, tell superbrutha all about it. About your vision for the future.

Agree

You sound afraid of becoming a minority? Why would that be? Could it be because of this country's history of not treating minorities well?

...t.

You asked a question. I answered it.

iF that was all you wanted it for, fuck off.
:itsok: You sound very upset.

Polls I've heard are that most American support the historical statues, your spin not withstanding.
Post a couple for us.....(do these polls also support out-of-towners telling town counsels they can't remove statues they voted to remove?)

Agree

Back southerners trump the rest of America, including the actual soldiers that fought and defeated the Confederacy?

Based on what exactly and why are they not bound by the principles of Multiculturalism?
"back southerners"?

And tell us how many of those actual soldiers are still around for us to ask.....

Forum List

Back