🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

US submarine hits underwater object in South China Sea

I don't have any, do you? That's why I'm saying we need more info. Why would it be secret?

Regarding ur previous post, there should be some sort of safeguard to prevent a US sub, hitting another US sub. Otherwise it would be chaos in a wartime situation.

Are there any such safeguards? You're the expert, I'm deferring to you. I'm asking questions to try to learn.
The depth would possibly give away information on the submarine' capabilities. The location could disclose the sub' mission.

Each ship and submarine emits noise, such as the propeller, machinery, and other sources of noise. On nuclear submarines, the most difficult noises to eliminate are the reactor feed pumps. Submarines can record this information in a database to identify the types of ships or submarines.

A really good movie on modern submarine warfare is "The Hunt for Red October". It is a fairly accurate account of how submarines find each other and attack using only passive sonar. The best position to attack another ship or submarine is from the year in the "baffles" where you can still hear the target, but they are unable to hear you because any noise they create blacks out their sonar to the rear.

Towed array sonars are sensors on a long cable from the rear of a submarine used to long-distance tracking as they as much more sensitive being away from the submarine's noise sources. Many sub hunting surface ships also have this equipment.

I was an unusual creature in the Navy. I wore silver dolphins on my uniform as a secondary warfare qualification, with the Surface Warfare officer insignia as my primary. On my first ship as an officer, there were 4 out of 7 officers in the engineering department who wore silver dolphins, but I was the only one that was also surface warfare qualified at the time. I am sure the others got there qualifications after I left the ship.

I would be happy to answer any question you may have. Unlike most posters on this forum, you seem genuinely curious about the topic.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
The depth would possibly give away information on the submarine' capabilities. The location could disclose the sub' mission.

Each ship and submarine emits noise, such as the propeller, machinery, and other sources of noise. On nuclear submarines, the most difficult noises to eliminate are the reactor feed pumps. Submarines can record this information in a database to identify the types of ships or submarines.

A really good movie on modern submarine warfare is "The Hunt for Red October". It is a fairly accurate account of how submarines find each other and attack using only passive sonar. The best position to attack another ship or submarine is from the year in the "baffles" where you can still hear the target, but they are unable to hear you because any noise they create blacks out their sonar to the rear.

Towed array sonars are sensors on a long cable from the rear of a submarine used to long-distance tracking as they as much more sensitive being away from the submarine's noise sources. Many sub hunting surface ships also have this equipment.

I was an unusual creature in the Navy. I wore silver dolphins on my uniform as a secondary warfare qualification, with the Surface Warfare officer insignia as my primary. On my first ship as an officer, there were 4 out of 7 officers in the engineering department who wore silver dolphins, but I was the only one that was also surface warfare qualified at the time. I am sure the others got there qualifications after I left the ship.

I would be happy to answer any question you may have. Unlike most posters on this forum, you seem genuinely curious about the topic.

Have a great day!
How exactly does nookler power work to run a sub?

How is a sub protected from spewing waste if it got hit by a torpedo?

Did they hit something or were they hit with something? Those subs know what is around them, don't kid yourself.

Have a great day!
Thank you for your answers! Yes, I'm fascinated about subs. But like airplanes, they have to give information to each other regarding where they are, so there's not a collision, esp in the dark depths of the ocean. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think there would be a safeguard. How do they do that underwater without getting pinged by the enemy? Or do they even do that?

Did they hit something or were they hit with something? Those subs know what is around them, don't kid yourself.
That's what we're trying to find out. More to follow I guess, but in the meantime, the Admiral's posts are fascinating. One of the most informative posters I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers! Yes, I'm fascinated about subs. But like airplanes, they have to give information to each other regarding where they are, so there's not a collision, esp in the dark depths of the ocean. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think there would be a safeguard. How do they do that underwater without getting pinged by the enemy? Or do they even do that?
You have no idea where the other subs are. Submarines are not that big and the ocean is a very big place. Submarines NEVER give away their position.

The vast population of citizens on this planet desire peace. NO citizen should wish that aggressive nations are left unconfronted when they threaten the lives and safety of others. If good men do not stand up, all of civilized humanity pays a price.

I have the utmost appreciation for those deployed on a submarine. They maintain peace and stability in what is potentially the most hostile (and uncomfortable) of environments.

(CNN)A US nuclear powered submarine struck an object underwater in the South China Sea on Saturday, according to two defense officials.
A number of sailors on board the USS Connecticut were injured in the accident, the officials said. None of the injuries were life-threatening, according to a statement from US Pacific Fleet. It's unclear what the Seawolf-class submarine may have hit while it was submerged.
"The submarine remains in a safe and stable condition. USS Connecticut's nuclear propulsion plant and spaces were not affected and remain fully operational," the statement said. "The incident will be investigated." The US Navy did not specify the incident took place in the South China Sea, only that it occurred in international waters in the Indo-Pacific region.
The accident happened as tensions between the US and China soared over the Chinese military's incursions into Taiwan's Air Defense Integration Zone (ADIZ).
The solution to China is the U.S. getting its boot off of Japan and letting Bushido flourish.

You have no idea where the other subs are. Submarines are not that big and the ocean is a very big place. Submarines NEVER give away their position.
The atmosphere is an even bigger place, and they do know where all aircraft are at any given moment. So you're saying, if I understand correctly, that nobody knows where their subs are at any given moment?

The atmosphere is an even bigger place, and they do know where all aircraft are at any given moment. So you're saying, if I understand correctly, that nobody knows where their subs are at any given moment?
Submarines only go where they are told to go. They navigate by SATNAV and Inertial Navigation Systems. If you are making no noise that passive sonar does not pick up, you just might get hit. Such was the case with the USS San Francisco. Seamounts don't make noise.

Submarines only go where they are told to go. They navigate by SATNAV and Inertial Navigation Systems. If you are making no noise that passive sonar does not pick up, you just might get hit. Such was the case with the USS San Francisco. Seamounts don't make noise.
Was this instance a seamount? I'd so, why didn't they know about it? It's not like the PRC being in the South China Sea is a brand new surprise. They've been at for years.

Was this instance a seamount? I'd so, why didn't they know about it? It's not like the PRC being in the South China Sea is a brand new surprise. They've been at for years.
we don't know. we're assuming an underground mountain at the moment.

Forum List

Back