🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

US submarine hits underwater object in South China Sea

I can see the Chinese developing stealth technology underwater to protect the islands they are building.

But they also face the same problem of crashing into them. Unless they can detect them.

Either way, they're above our technology right now. We are a weak 2nd, if not 3rd. Bye Bye US superiority.

We have shit we can't explain buzzing our airspace, messing with our nuclear facilities, and posing a major threat to our national security and forces, and we can't explain it...

Is it really the Chinese?
Oh no!
The Chinese are using their invisibility shields again!

It appears that the submarine was hit very hard. This apparently means that either an object or the submarine was moving fast. And the other side is the fact that submarines are very silent and operate in stealth mode....

"So it's not entirely impossible that the unknown object was another submarine," a defence expert deems.

So - after all- was it another submarine that was hit? who knows! :dunno:

Two sailors had moderate injuries....whatever that is....and nine others have minor injuries, officials said.
How about this incident from 2005?

On 8 January 2005 at 02:43 GMT, San Francisco collided with an undersea mountain about 364 nautical miles (675 km) southeast of Guam while operating at flank (maximum) speed at a depth of 525 feet (160 m).

How about this incident from 2005?

On 8 January 2005 at 02:43 GMT, San Francisco collided with an undersea mountain about 364 nautical miles (675 km) southeast of Guam while operating at flank (maximum) speed at a depth of 525 feet (160 m).

That was a huge death and injury toll, wasn't it? I mean, that's a mountain.

This was localized damage. It couldn't have been that big, could it?

That's an insult to watermelons...

I don't know what a stealth mine is, i told you i made it up, but being skeptical, it would be an object that is not detectable by sonar, held in place with an anchor of some sort. Like a stealth plane having a very low profile on radar. I'm trying to think of a terrestrial explanation for a high tech submarine crashing into an object in mid-water, to cause localized damage. Excuse me for being skeptical.

So I made up the idea of a stealth mine, or stealth "object". Seems like something really genius to make, if possible.

But it could be ET's... There may be a sunken USO, and there will be a frenzy to recover. Or the USO, more likely, is intact, and there's nothing to recover.

The question is, wtf did they crash into? We will probably never know...

Anchors make noise, detectible by passive sonar.

Crashes like this happen!

On 8 January 2005 at 02:43 GMT, San Francisco collided with an undersea mountain about 364 nautical miles (675 km) southeast of Guam while operating at flank (maximum) speed at a depth of 525 feet (160 m)

98 crewmen injured, 2 dead, the sub was rendered inoperable.

That's not what happened here...

it seems like it crashed into an "object" per the reports.

A mountain is not what i would term an object.

That was a huge death and injury toll, wasn't it? I mean, that's a mountain.

This was localized damage. It couldn't have been that big, could it?
Huge would be accurate if you consider one crewmember who died the next day due to a head injury.

On a submarine most collisions cause localized damage.

Here is a photo of the damage to USS San Francisco.

USS_San_Francisco.jpg

Where did you get two dead? I provided a link.

A seamount is an object.
wikipedia. I guess it is technically an object. We need to learn more about the damage, and the depth the sub was at. Otherwise, it's just crazy conjecture. :)

You're right, i read it wrong, just one death

TY for the update Skye.

I don't know what submarines in stealth mode are all about, but you would think they should be able to avoid a collision, otherwise there's something wrong with the technology. Or maybe it was a US sub hitting a Chinese sub?
How does a submarine "see" something in the water if it makes no noise? There is nothing wrong with the technology. I took a sub from Georgia to the Arctic Circle and back in 1980 and we never surfaced for almost 3 months. We used passive sonar to detect threats, and navigated by by SATNAV and Inertial Navigation Systems. We were nuclear powered so we made our own air and water.

Which technology was "wrong"?

wikipedia. I guess it is technically an object. We need to learn more about the damage, and the depth the sub was at. Otherwise, it's just crazy conjecture. :)

You're right, i read it wrong, just one death
Thanks for admitting your error.

What right do you have to know what was damaged and the depth of the submarine which might be Secret?

Thanks for admitting your error.

What right do you have to know what was damaged and the depth of the submarine which might be Secret?
I don't have any, do you? That's why I'm saying we need more info. Why would it be secret?

Regarding ur previous post, there should be some sort of safeguard to prevent a US sub, hitting another US sub. Otherwise it would be chaos in a wartime situation.

Are there any such safeguards? You're the expert, I'm deferring to you. I'm asking questions to try to learn.

There's no real reason for a submarine, with it's technology, sonar, radars etc to hit anything other than a sleeping fish.

Radar doesn't work underwater and passive sonar, while very effective, can only detect objects that are emitting noises louder than the ocean around them ... and the ocean is a surprisingly noisy place.

It isn't inconceivable for a submarine to collide with another submarine or ship.

Radar doesn't work underwater and passive sonar, while very effective, can only detect objects that are emitting noises louder than the ocean around them ... and the ocean is a surprisingly noisy place.

It isn't inconceivable for a submarine to collide with another submarine or ship.
I know you from somewhere, kneel...

Forum List

Back