USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get out to the library more often. Back in my day, eating anywhere within the walls of the library was frowned upon. I recall asking why and was told that food attracts ants and ants get into the books and destroy them. It sounded silly to me back then and still does. How in the world can ants destroy a book?

I had not heard about ants being a menace to books...but are you familiar with book scorpions??:eek:

090417-180016-m.jpg

Termites are ants and they will eat books if that is made available to them. I'll admit to having been educated today on book scorpions though. :)

But I would think a good exterminator would take care of any pest problems and I really like Jughead's suggestion of the library with a cafe included. Don't all the big chain store bookstores have some kind of food or cappuccino bars?
Sherry did indeed have a great idea for a library with a cafe. When one gets hungry while reading or doing some research, they can grab a quick bite at the cafe instead of having to leave the building to get some food. Great time saver.

Started getting my 1830s, 1840s stuff together, reenacting season will start soon out here. I can cheat with some of the Civ War gear/clothing for now but since most of the styles had changed I need proper footwear, coat, vest and accoutrements. Going with a Southwest/Californio set up, similar to this.

vaquero_zpsfda7bda4.jpg

I didn't realize the Coffee Shop shared their birthday with Audrey........

And 4 years? Awesome........

And SFC Ollie holds the distinction of being the very first person, beside me of course, to post in Coffee Shop I. And do you remember what you posted? It was four years ago today they were doing the jury selection re the civil action for your father's death.

I had not heard about ants being a menace to books...but are you familiar with book scorpions??:eek:

090417-180016-m.jpg

Termites are ants and they will eat books if that is made available to them. I'll admit to having been educated today on book scorpions though. :)

But I would think a good exterminator would take care of any pest problems and I really like Jughead's suggestion of the library with a cafe included. Don't all the big chain store bookstores have some kind of food or cappuccino bars?
Sherry did indeed have a great idea for a library with a cafe. When one gets hungry while reading or doing some research, they can grab a quick bite at the cafe instead of having to leave the building to get some food. Great time saver.

That was Sherry's idea? :D

Yep. Sherry deserves all the credit, I had no idea libraries with cafes even existed.

I only suggested that museums sell refreshments like hot dogs in the lobby. Having a cafe within a library is a far better idea. The idea has lots of possibilities. For instance, if I had a ton of paperwork to finish and needed peace and quiet, a library with a cafe would be ideal. I'd be able to grab lunch at the cafe and continue with my work.

Yep. Sherry deserves all the credit, I had no idea libraries with cafes even existed.

I only suggested that museums sell refreshments like hot dogs in the lobby. Having a cafe within a library is a far better idea. The idea has lots of possibilities. For instance, if I had a ton of paperwork to finish and needed peace and quiet, a library with a cafe would be ideal. I'd be able to grab lunch at the cafe and continue with my work.

Speaking as a public library trustee we have been listening to the needs of the millions of people who use our services on a daily basis. While it is challenging in these tough economic times libraries are probably just as relevant today as they have ever been. In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy our library was packed with people. They were online trying to reach out to loved ones and in many cases just using the outlets to recharge their phones and laptops because they had no power at home.

Not to change the subject (Happy Birthday Coffee Shop II).....but I have some very important news to announce.

The Spurs just won game 7 of their series against the Dallas Mavericks....their first round in the NBA Finals.....

GO SPURS GO

keep-calm-and-go-spurs-85.png

And heads up everybody. I almost forgot that it is the fourth birthday of the USMB Coffee shop!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USMB COFFEE SHOP!!!​

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

As of this hour:
Coffee Shop I had 80,455 posts and 3,297,035 views.
Coffee Shop II had 25,935 posts and 495,003 views.
Coffee Shop III has 2,041 posts and 20,312 view.

And 375 different members have posted in the Coffee Shop give or take a few to allow for those that I missed and didn't get on the list and those who have had name changes and are therefore on the list twice.

That is a grand total since May 4, 2010 of 108,431 posts and 3,812,350 views!!!

What will the total be in another four years? I hope we are all here to celebrate it.

4th%2Bbirthday.jpg

Foxy gets to blow out the candles! :)

caitlin_cake_nov08_tilt.jpg

Congratulations to all concerned. :)

Dad comes home today. Hopefully he comes home in a better mood than he did on Friday. Both he and mum decided it was a free for all to attack me, stupid me, pathetic me, unskilled me, lazy me, worthless me etc.
I forgive him because he was stressed about having to wait for so long for his operation.

No word on when he comes home, sometime later on, we think. His wounds were bleeding quite a lot last night, so that might be cause for concern.

Being the punching bag is sometimes the best gift you can give. Good for you and best wishes for your dad.

They need to vent their anger, and they choose me. Pity it makes me stressed, depressed, and anxious.

Dad will be fine. He's just glum because he hasn't been able to ride his new motorbike for over a week!

Actually, I disagree that your role as "punching bag" is somehow acceptable. These are your parents, they are supposed to be the adults in the room. Misdirecting your problems and using them as some kind of weapon to beat down any other human being is atrocious. Chin up, Noomi. Maybe it's time you started looking for your own place, or perhaps a roommate to share with?

Good morning everybody. Woke up stiff and sore this morning but the kinks are already working out. Big sis didn't want to go to church and has to go home soon after lunch, so Hombre and I decided I would stay home with her--felt rude to go off and leave her--and he's off to church. I hope to have a nice breakfast/brunch ready for him (and us) when he gets home.

Beautiful weather here though we do need moisture. Apparently there is a strong El Nino that will be developing over the next several weeks/months that could give us some relief from the drought, but whether it will be a drought ender remains to be seen.

Was just watching the news re the ice tsunami that is crashing into homes in Michigan. It is still the winter that isn't ending for them.

We seem to be past the freeze warnings now--surely there will be no more? I can plant some cucumbers?

Those ice tsunamis are really strange. I've only heard of them recently, never seen one here.

That is freakin' awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize the Coffee Shop shared their birthday with Audrey........

And 4 years? Awesome........

And SFC Ollie holds the distinction of being the very first person, beside me of course, to post in Coffee Shop I. And do you remember what you posted? It was four years ago today they were doing the jury selection re the civil action for your father's death.

I remember it well, and I'll never forget the stupid ass prosecutor who never even notified the investigating officer that there was a trial.

Book scorpions? For real? Well, I guess it's possible because there are sock monkeys. Every time I open my dresser drawer, those darn sock monkeys jump out at me. Scares the crap out of me - especially if I don't have a light turned on.

Afternoon everyone.

Mum and dad have gone for a few days to stay with nana, so I get a quiet house for a couple of days. After some verbal abuse this morning - just mocking me for actually going to the gym to keep fit - they left about half an hour ago.

I understand that mum is stressed but she doesn't need to take it out on me. I hate it when people take their anger out on others. She doesn't know that I am depressed again, its hard to deal with that when you can't get away from the mocking.

Last night she was angry because no one had gone to see nana in the hostel. Nana is depressed because she has no visitors. A depressed person shouldn't be allowing more depression into their lives which is why I haven't gone up to see her. I can't deal with that right now. Anyway, mum was saying how she would hate it if no one came to visit her, that we probably wouldn't and she would prefer a needle in her arm to kill herself than to sit around waiting for a phone call. Its just emotional blackmail, is all. But it works, let me tell you.

Oh well. At least I have my health (physical, anyway) and my friends. And karate. The highlight of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back