USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like using lean smoked pork chops in my pea soup. Ham hocks are kind of fatty. I also add barley for texture.

Barley's great, just don't skimp on the potatoes, carrots, and onions. Ham hocks are not fatty if properly prepared. Boil thoroughly, let cool, and separate the meat from skin and bone. It should be falling apart and be pink. If you want to use the broth, put it in the refrigerator in a defatting container with spout and chill a few hours. The fat congeals on the top, the good stuff floats to the bottom, and everything else pours out easily.

All broths are defatted the same way. A good restaurant will make vegetable, beef, poultry (chicken is OK but duck broth and separated duck fat rule!) and fish stock as a basis for sauces and soups. Use a little planning and you'll never buy factory made broth again. I recommend not salting broths (herbs and spices are fine) and adding salt to taste when making the soup or sauce.

Most grains such as rice, barley, risotto, etc. are better made with broth replacing water. Steaming using broth is also a great low-fat cooking method (second only to beer and soda pop for steaming). Try chicken thighs steamed in orange soda for a mock duck ala orange. I wander.

Broths are generally good for a week in a cooler. Frozen they last longer, but because of the volume I recommend boiling them down to a consume first.

Now someone can tell me everything I got wrong.

Sounds to me like you know what you're talking about. Do you do a lot of home gourmet cooking?

And a warm Coffee Shop welcome to oldfart who is joining us for the first time in the Coffee Shop. So happy you popped in and hope you find a niche here to your liking. :)

Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

8152256386_ec8b866d90_o.jpg

Thanks. I actually have a few other posts here, but the thread moves pretty fast for me to get back to people.

I learned to cook from my mother who was blind. No measurements, no exact times or temperatures, no recipes. At five I started cooking on the stove after I found I could push a chair up to it and reach the burners. 55 years of Boy Scouts add some pretty good outdoor recipes. Number one son and I turn around restaurants as a hobby (currently own two). We both cook. Our day job involves tax, accounting, payroll and management services for small businesses including about 23 restaurants, a custom butcher operation, and two shrimp boats. Some of our compensation comes in trade. Last Easter we had a goat roast and at Christmas I do a mean roast suckling pig or a brace of geese. Every fall we do venison. We just finished our share of an organic young bull in the freezer raised on grass with no hormones or antibiotics. You would not believe how different it tastes from store-bought beef. In two weeks the fresh local Florida strawberries come in.

Basic rules to eat well:

1. Know where your food comes from and get it as unprocessed as possible.
2. Adequate time is the most important ingredient.
3. Almost everything can be used so use as much as you can.
4. Use the right equipment, the right techniques, and the right food safety protocols.
5. People have different tastes so find out what you and they like. Food snobbery makes for a bad meal.

I almost died from shock today. My son and I went to a flea market with my dad. We were walking around and nothing was really catching my eye...personally, I think there is just mostly junk at those places, but every once in awhile you can find something cool. Then something shiny caught my eye on a table cluttered with all sorts of miscellaneous stuff...it was a copper mold, and I collect them. I glanced at the pattern and it's not one that I have, so I reached out to pick it up and it didn't lift up. I was struggling a bit with it and looking to see what it was hung up on. Suddenly something was moving underneath it, and I was startled and dropped it. I looked closer and saw the markings of a snake. My brain was not quite registering it, and then I thought it was a fake snake that moved while I was trying to loosen the mold. I sort of chuckled inside at being startled and was thinking about reaching for it to pick up and show everyone the fake snake...then it moved again.:eek: I told the people running the booth that they had a snake on their table. The woman was upset, but the man thought it was cool. People started gathering around and he got a glove and grabbed it. Someone said it was a king snake and another person said a pine snake. From what I could find on the internet, I'm thinking pine snake because it had a small head compared to a large body. I still can't believe how close my fingers were to it's mouth when I reached underneath the mold and was struggling to get it free. I could have so easily been bitten, as he wasn't happy when the mold was removed, and he was coiled up and made a couple small strikes when the guy went to reach for him. This is similar to what it looked like in markings and size:

Snakes33.jpg

Is anyone else on facebook? because I have been getting a blank page every time I go on it for the last two days.

You might want to try a different browser. I've had no problems.

Bummer, I am still using windows xp, and I am not going to upgrade it any time soon. So I will just have to get by without facebook. I don't go on it much anyway.

It's not the computer, but the browser. If you're using Internet Explorer, try something different, like Firefox or Google Chrome (myself I hate Google just because.)

IE is having major issues with Java and Adobe Flash. I can't get Youtube to work at all with IE.

Happy Easter. :) What are everybody's plans? I'm having dinner with the ladies upstairs, and then going to my nephew's house for another dinner (!) with the rest of the family. I don't start work til nine Sunday night, and I should think it will be a pretty quiet shift.

My Daughter and Son in Law are working today so I'm making dinner. They'll be around at 5 or so. It's also my Son in Law's birthday so we're celebrating that.

Pizza for dinner tonight. I don't have any Easter eggs either, might have to buy one for myself tomorrow, although I shouldn't indulge anymore - I have put on a few kilos in the past month or so. Must work on burning them off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back