USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Double-0 or any numerologist ... now I have a "420" in my rep. What should I do with that?

:420:

Just ran across this old short clip--especially for you pasta lovers. . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ugSKW4-QQ]Panorama - April Fool's Day Hoax - Spaghetti Harvest - 1st April 1957 - YouTube[/ame]

OK Double-0 or any numerologist ... now I have a "420" in my rep. What should I do with that?

:420:

April 20th at 4:20 PM is the "pot-smokers' holiday," also variously described as the "hippie New Year," "national smoke time," and "national pot-smoking day.”

Throughout the past few decades, and beginning in the 1960s, 420 (pronounced four twenty, not four hundred and twenty) has been code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of various generations. Although the origin of this “holiday” is widely unknown, it doesn’t stop avid pot smokers from trying to celebrate.

You're just a day early, Pogo. That's all. :)

Panorama - April Fool's Day Hoax - Spaghetti Harvest - 1st April 1957 - YouTube

You know -- I saw that story when it aired, as a toddler, and for a long time I thought that's where spaghetti came from. :redface:

From the video description:
>> The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest hoax generated an enormous response. Hundreds of people phoned the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this query the BBC diplomatically replied, Place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best. <<

Well, Daughter drove up yesterday with her hubby, son, and his girlfriend. they came up for Mrs O's Birthday yesterday, We went out to Selehah"s A local fancy place that used to be a bank. They left the teller cages and the vault open Special people can sit inside the vault and eat. Got home around 9ish or so last night....Anyway they just left to go back to CIncy so they can have Easter with the Daughters Daughter (Age 15) who couldn't come because she started her first Job today working at Kings Island...

10262012_10152353282675734_5825264832260917881_n.jpg

You could put Spam in pea soup. Like instead of ham?

Ewww.

I actually went and bought a ham hock to simmer in there. Never bought one of those before, wasn't even sure what it would look like. I don't eat pork but I understand it does bring out the flavor, so .... spam averted. :D

I like using lean smoked pork chops in my pea soup. Ham hocks are kind of fatty. I also add barley for texture.

Barley's great, just don't skimp on the potatoes, carrots, and onions. Ham hocks are not fatty if properly prepared. Boil thoroughly, let cool, and separate the meat from skin and bone. It should be falling apart and be pink. If you want to use the broth, put it in the refrigerator in a defatting container with spout and chill a few hours. The fat congeals on the top, the good stuff floats to the bottom, and everything else pours out easily.

All broths are defatted the same way. A good restaurant will make vegetable, beef, poultry (chicken is OK but duck broth and separated duck fat rule!) and fish stock as a basis for sauces and soups. Use a little planning and you'll never buy factory made broth again. I recommend not salting broths (herbs and spices are fine) and adding salt to taste when making the soup or sauce.

Most grains such as rice, barley, risotto, etc. are better made with broth replacing water. Steaming using broth is also a great low-fat cooking method (second only to beer and soda pop for steaming). Try chicken thighs steamed in orange soda for a mock duck ala orange. I wander.

Broths are generally good for a week in a cooler. Frozen they last longer, but because of the volume I recommend boiling them down to a consume first.

Now someone can tell me everything I got wrong.

Ewww.

I actually went and bought a ham hock to simmer in there. Never bought one of those before, wasn't even sure what it would look like. I don't eat pork but I understand it does bring out the flavor, so .... spam averted. :D

I like using lean smoked pork chops in my pea soup. Ham hocks are kind of fatty. I also add barley for texture.

Barley's great, just don't skimp on the potatoes, carrots, and onions. Ham hocks are not fatty if properly prepared. Boil thoroughly, let cool, and separate the meat from skin and bone. It should be falling apart and be pink. If you want to use the broth, put it in the refrigerator in a defatting container with spout and chill a few hours. The fat congeals on the top, the good stuff floats to the bottom, and everything else pours out easily.

All broths are defatted the same way. A good restaurant will make vegetable, beef, poultry (chicken is OK but duck broth and separated duck fat rule!) and fish stock as a basis for sauces and soups. Use a little planning and you'll never buy factory made broth again. I recommend not salting broths (herbs and spices are fine) and adding salt to taste when making the soup or sauce.

Most grains such as rice, barley, risotto, etc. are better made with broth replacing water. Steaming using broth is also a great low-fat cooking method (second only to beer and soda pop for steaming). Try chicken thighs steamed in orange soda for a mock duck ala orange. I wander.

Broths are generally good for a week in a cooler. Frozen they last longer, but because of the volume I recommend boiling them down to a consume first.

Now someone can tell me everything I got wrong.

Sounds to me like you know what you're talking about. Do you do a lot of home gourmet cooking?

And a warm Coffee Shop welcome to oldfart who is joining us for the first time in the Coffee Shop. So happy you popped in and hope you find a niche here to your liking. :)

Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

8152256386_ec8b866d90_o.jpg

Yeah I'm just waiting for this local show on the radio where people get to call in and sell or buy three items. After that I'm back outside for some more yard work. I did sleep like a log last night just like I figured.

I found a nice 16' flat bottom john boat with a 25hp Merc on it, trolling motor, built in cooler, live well, fishing pole holders, the works, and on a nice trailer. They're asking $3,980. I'm real tempted to make an offer on it...
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsd...=1&etid=1&pcid=2001005442&OHID=4806483&lp=TRK

Good luck. I do like boats and being out on the water.

I am thinking of buying a new PC with W-7 OS, as Microsoft will be supporting them until 2020. Not ready to dive into the Windows 8 OS. I am looking at Amazon for this as they do have a few left. The fewer remaining anywhere are going to become more expensive. Supply and demand, deal.

I have an unopened copy of windows 7. I purchased it because I did not want to find it was unavaliable at some time in the future when I need a new computer, and I do not want windows 8. But I do not think I can use windows 7 on my existing computer because it is only 32 bit and windows 7 is for 64 bit systems. Also you have to register it with microsoft over the Internet, and you cannot use the same copy of windows 7 again, as it has a serial number that is logged by microsoft. At least, I think that is the case.
I have three...I bought a Windows 7 OS with 3 licenses when XP was starting to be phased out. I liked 7 a lot.

I went to yet another birthday party today. My aunt who is 75, my Dad's side of the family, the fun side. It was in a park, beautiful day, 60 and sunny.

Being out in this nice weather keeps making me sleepy though.

Happy Easter Weekend, Everyone. :)

I went to yet another birthday party today. My aunt who is 75, my Dad's side of the family, the fun side. It was in a park, beautiful day, 60 and sunny.

Sounds like many of us are out and about, enjoying friends and family face time. :thup:

You know -- I saw that story when it aired, as a toddler, and for a long time I thought that's where spaghetti came from. :redface:

>> The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest hoax generated an enormous response. Hundreds of people phoned the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this query the BBC diplomatically replied, Place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best. <<

Pogo, I stopped by the MINI dealership to check out the latest models. Since the new Honda Fit is bigger than before and MINI has a 3 cylinder model you might want to give both a test drive first.

So today's errands included a stop at Lowes for outdoor light fittings. Couldn't find anything worthwhile so I am going to be scouring the interwebs instead.

Sounds like many of us are out and about, enjoying friends and family face time. :thup:

Yeah, Spring has sprung.. :)

Its ankle maybe....cause its sure limping across the finish line!

:D

Pogo, I stopped by the MINI dealership to check out the latest models. Since the new Honda Fit is bigger than before and MINI has a 3 cylinder model you might want to give both a test drive first.

Fuel for thought, thanks DT.

What I don't care for in the MINI experience -- the dealers (conveniently located at 500 mile intervals) like to play the game, "ah, you've got a headlight out -- we'll have to replace the whole quarter panel. That'll be $4862".

Got to see unfrozen lakes and sing my annual song. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back