USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else on facebook? because I have been getting a blank page every time I go on it for the last two days.

You might want to try a different browser. I've had no problems.

Bummer, I am still using windows xp, and I am not going to upgrade it any time soon. So I will just have to get by without facebook. I don't go on it much anyway.

I'm not having any problems either, and I use Chrome.

loading up the car and heading back home. a productive weekend down here, now I get to go home an do a little more lol. believe it or not with all the cold, I think the grass will need cutting
Yeah I'm just waiting for this local show on the radio where people get to call in and sell or buy three items. After that I'm back outside for some more yard work. I did sleep like a log last night just like I figured.

I found a nice 16' flat bottom john boat with a 25hp Merc on it, trolling motor, built in cooler, live well, fishing pole holders, the works, and on a nice trailer. They're asking $3,980. I'm real tempted to make an offer on it...
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsd...=1&etid=1&pcid=2001005442&OHID=4806483&lp=TRK

Good luck. I do like boats and being out on the water.

I am thinking of buying a new PC with W-7 OS, as Microsoft will be supporting them until 2020. Not ready to dive into the Windows 8 OS. I am looking at Amazon for this as they do have a few left. The fewer remaining anywhere are going to become more expensive. Supply and demand, deal.

Good morning everybody. Not quite running on all cylinders yet, but working on it. I must water all the indoor plants this morning. Finish laundry. Finish cleaning the office.

But it's so much more fun hanging out with you guys. . . .so. . . one more cup of coffee. . . .

Thanks Foxfyre and good morning to you and all the good people posting. I agree it is more fun hanging out here, than looking forward to chores..:lol:

Rainy and 50's today. :thup:

loading up the car and heading back home. a productive weekend down here, now I get to go home an do a little more lol. believe it or not with all the cold, I think the grass will need cutting
Yeah I'm just waiting for this local show on the radio where people get to call in and sell or buy three items. After that I'm back outside for some more yard work. I did sleep like a log last night just like I figured.

I found a nice 16' flat bottom john boat with a 25hp Merc on it, trolling motor, built in cooler, live well, fishing pole holders, the works, and on a nice trailer. They're asking $3,980. I'm real tempted to make an offer on it...
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsd...=1&etid=1&pcid=2001005442&OHID=4806483&lp=TRK

I am thinking of buying a new PC with W-7 OS, as Microsoft will be supporting them until 2020. Not ready to dive into the Windows 8 OS. I am looking at Amazon for this as they do have a few left. The fewer remaining anywhere are going to become more expensive. Supply and demand, deal.

I have an unopened copy of windows 7. I purchased it because I did not want to find it was unavaliable at some time in the future when I need a new computer, and I do not want windows 8. But I do not think I can use windows 7 on my existing computer because it is only 32 bit and windows 7 is for 64 bit systems. Also you have to register it with microsoft over the Internet, and you cannot use the same copy of windows 7 again, as it has a serial number that is logged by microsoft. At least, I think that is the case.

You may have no choice but to upgrade, Dajjal. As of April 8, 2014, Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows XP. What does it mean?

Computer tips and advice to help

Thanks for the link. Up to now I have always built my own computer, buying the components and assembling them myself. But the next computer I get will probalby have to be custom built for me ,as I am out on my depth with all the changes to boards and drives. There is a good shop near me that will oblige by custom building systems and I will go to them. I will have my copy of windows 7 installed on it. But since there is nothing wrong with my existing computer, I am in no rush to replace it. It is fast enough for me, as it works pefectly with videos, and films, and there are no longer any pc games coming out that I want to play. So I don't really need anything faster.

Last edited:

I have an unopened copy of windows 7. I purchased it because I did not want to find it was unavaliable at some time in the future when I need a new computer, and I do not want windows 8. But I do not think I can use windows 7 on my existing computer because it is only 32 bit and windows 7 is for 64 bit systems. Also you have to register it with microsoft over the Internet, and you cannot use the same copy of windows 7 again, as it has a serial number that is logged by microsoft. At least, I think that is the case.

Thanks for the information, Dajjal. I do plan to have my tech. on this, before any further actions. :)

You may have no choice but to upgrade, Dajjal. As of April 8, 2014, Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows XP. What does it mean?

Microsoft will be supporting Windows Vista through 2017. That was the plan about 3 months ago.

We have XP on the oldest laptop and it is already getting really quirky, but off line, still works fine for the games loaded on it with our own software. So we'll probably just use it for a game machine for my sis when she comes to visit and not try to put it on line any more.

My second laptop has Vista and, despite it being a really not-that-great operating system, I dread when it is no longer functional because we do use that computer.

My newest laptop has Windows 7 which is an okay operating system but gives me a lot more problems than does Windows 8 on my desktop PC. So despite Windows 8 being so different, I have gradually learned to make peace with it and find myself preferring it to Windows 7. Go figure.

Microsoft will be supporting Windows Vista through 2017. That was the plan about 3 months ago.

We have XP on the oldest laptop and it is already getting really quirky, but off line, still works fine for the games loaded on it with our own software. So we'll probably just use it for a game machine for my sis when she comes to visit and not try to put it on line any more.

My second laptop has Vista and, despite it being a really not-that-great operating system, I dread when it is no longer functional because we do use that computer.

My newest laptop has Windows 7 which is an okay operating system but gives me a lot more problems than does Windows 8 on my desktop PC. So despite Windows 8 being so different, I have gradually learned to make peace with it and find myself preferring it to Windows 7. Go figure.

:thup:

I am hoping by 2020, there will be something else out there that is more user-friendly than W-8. :dunno:

I have a zillion tons of software that was designed for windows 98, and most of it will not run on windows xp onwards. It is a bloody nuisance, and microsoft ought to make windows compatible with older software. I have had problems with photoshop 6 on windows xp let alone what would happen on windows 8. It is a good job it did not cost me anything, or I would be really miffed:badgrin:
I use to stay up all night loading down software from hackers sites, in the days when you could do that without getting a virus or a knock on the door. But nowdays it is far too risky.

Last edited:

Attachments

• $12345rep.jpg
    $12345rep.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 22

It means Microslush deliberately outdates their product and then won't stand behind the previous ones. It means they're evil. It means they saw that Studebaker owners were unable to get replacement parts and thought, "hey, there's a good idea".

Last time I did a software update (I think it was Flash), the thing said I was running Windows 8. When I bought this thing it was Win 7. Is it possible for them to shift horses without telling anyone? Can they actually do that?

My Classic Shell disappeared around the same time, but I was able to get it back... :dunno:

It means Microslush deliberately outdates their product and then won't stand behind the previous ones. It means they're evil. It means they saw that Studebaker owners were unable to get replacement parts and thought, "hey, there's a good idea".

Last time I did a software update (I think it was Flash), the thing said I was running Windows 8. When I bought this thing it was Win 7. Is it possible for them to shift horses without telling anyone? Can they actually do that?

My Classic Shell disappeared around the same time, but I was able to get it back... :dunno:

Built in obsolescence has been an American (and probably European and Asian) marketing ploy for a very very long time. The older monitors aren't compatible with newer computer components. Older DVD players become less and less able to play the newer formatted DVDs and won't work at all with the newer TVs. Etc. Auto makers stop making parts for older model automobiles. I don't think Microsoft is 'evil' because they use the same strategies when they bring new products onto the market.

But while Windows 8 has features that are irrelevant (and sometimes annoying) to our laptops and desktop PCs, it has been a great interface for those using hand held mobile devices and of course that was the strategy--something we could use on our old fashioned computers and also bring in all the high tech world out there. Windows 8 is not intuitive for those of us who grew up with the older operating systems, but once you learn how to access what you need, it isn't all that user unfriendly. And with one click of the mouse, you are right back into your old familiar desktop configuration.

One thing I really enjoy Windows 8 is that on the initial 'home' screen, all you have to do is click on a blank spot anywhere, and start typing for whatever you're looking for and what you want to do, and voila!!! There it is or a whole string of options to pick from is offered. And for internet searches, you don't have to open up Bing or Chrome or Firefox or any other search engine to do them.

Spam compares to pea soup??
Yeah, we done stepped over that edge baybee... :lol:

You could put Spam in pea soup. Like instead of ham?

Ewww.

I actually went and bought a ham hock to simmer in there. Never bought one of those before, wasn't even sure what it would look like. I don't eat pork but I understand it does bring out the flavor, so .... spam averted. :D

I like using lean smoked pork chops in my pea soup. Ham hocks are kind of fatty. I also add barley for texture.

Built in obsolescence has been an American (and probably European and Asian) marketing ploy for a very very long time. The older monitors aren't compatible with newer computer components. Older DVD players become less and less able to play the newer formatted DVDs and won't work at all with the newer TVs. Etc. Auto makers stop making parts for older model automobiles. I don't think Microsoft is 'evil' because they use the same strategies when they bring new products onto the market.

But while Windows 8 has features that are irrelevant (and sometimes annoying) to our laptops and desktop PCs, it has been a great interface for those using hand held mobile devices and of course that was the strategy--something we could use on our old fashioned computers and also bring in all the high tech world out there. Windows 8 is not intuitive for those of us who grew up with the older operating systems, but once you learn how to access what you need, it isn't all that user unfriendly. And with one click of the mouse, you are right back into your old familiar desktop configuration.

One thing I really enjoy Windows 8 is that on the initial 'home' screen, all you have to do is click on a blank spot anywhere, and start typing for whatever you're looking for and what you want to do, and voila!!! There it is or a whole string of options to pick from is offered. And for internet searches, you don't have to open up Bing or Chrome or Firefox or any other search engine to do them.

When I said "evil" I meant semi-tongue-in-cheek ... but not really. This is after all a company that built its whole foundation on plagiarizing another company's operating system (Digital CP/M) so along with their endless legacy of forever fixing things that weren't broke and then cutting them off from support, yes I do consider that dishonest, and I'll continue to call it that as long as they act that way.

So in pursuit of my own question, I just checked my Control Panel/System screen, and it says I'm running Windows 8. What I bought was absolutely Windows 7 (8 did not exist yet). So somehow they converted me from 7 to 8 without even telling me, let alone ever giving me a choice of keeping what I didn't choose in the first place. More dishonest underhanded crap.

That must have been why I lost the Classic Shell -- the conversion (I surmise) disabled it and forced me back into that ridiculous map of "apps" (a word I now loathe). But once I was able to reset the Shell, everything looks and works as it did before, so what the point was is lost on me. Perhaps they had to install still yet more spy software so they can more easily undermine this system too.

Guess we all have to just check our system screen every day to see what the hell platform we're running that week without our knowledge... :evil:

You could put Spam in pea soup. Like instead of ham?

Ewww.

I actually went and bought a ham hock to simmer in there. Never bought one of those before, wasn't even sure what it would look like. I don't eat pork but I understand it does bring out the flavor, so .... spam averted. :D

I like using lean smoked pork chops in my pea soup. Ham hocks are kind of fatty. I also add barley for texture.

NOW he tells me :lol:

Oh well, either way it's pork, and I'm not really worried about fat, and having made it without the pork in the past I know it adds an essential. I tossed some chicken shreds in there, and with the leftovers I'm gonna add sweet potato.

BBD told me the best thing to do with this stuff would be to paint the kitchen, and I trust his judgment, but there just wasn't enough to finish the job so I ate it.

Good morning everybody. Not quite running on all cylinders yet, but working on it. I must water all the indoor plants this morning. Finish laundry. Finish cleaning the office.

But it's so much more fun hanging out with you guys. . . .so. . . one more cup of coffee. . . .

Thanks Foxfyre and good morning to you and all the good people posting. I agree it is more fun hanging out here, than looking forward to chores..:lol:

Rainy and 50's today. :thup:

Yep!

Set the table, did most of the kitchen prep work and dyed eggs. All ready to enjoy tomorrow's feast and hang out here :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back