USMB Coffee Shop IV

More computer problems! :mad:

We're hooking my employer's laptop up to the TV in the living room to stream a game. CBS lets you watch their SEC broadcasts through their website and our broadcast reception is crappy here, so it's great that we can use the website. Anyway, plug HDMI cable into laptop, screen pops up on the TV. Go to the CBS site, open up a preview video, everything is great. Suddenly the sound cuts out. WTF? Check settings, HDMI is set to default, but still, no sound.

I've been screwing with audio settings for an hour, had the sound return, seem to be fine for a while, then cut out again. I just recently noticed that she had some game running in the background. I have turned that off and I'm holding out a small hope it was somehow causing problems; it seemed that the laptop was having some sort of conflicting audio issues and may have cut off the HDMI because of it. Right now the sound is playing fine through the TV.....but for how long?

I tried hooking up the old laptop but the video was too damn choppy while streaming. I've used multiple HDMI cables as well. The only other options I can think of now, if the sound goes bad again, are to use some computer speakers (which I don't know if they will be loud enough) or putting one of my desktops in the living room to play the game. That's not an option I want to use; I don't watch college football and I do use both my PCs. :p

I hope this isn't some sort of Win10 issue!
It could have been the game, if the sound returned after you shut the game off then you discovered the problem. Automatic anti virus updates or even OS updates might also have been your issue here. Double check your sound and display drivers, make sure they're current.

So far it's looking like it was the game; the sound has continued to work through the TV since I turned the game off. I actually had to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close the game, so it's likely it had been malfunctioning somehow.

This was also my first time using Win10. Not as horrible an interface as Win8, but still a bit too tablet-centric for my tastes. Hopefully I can keep using Vista for a while yet...and hopefully game designers/manufacturers start making more Linux-compatible games. :D

Talking of games, I seem to have become addicted to 'deus ex'. At first I found it too complicated compared with 'doom'. But now I am into it that seems to be a good feature of the game. My ass is aching from sitting down playing it, and I have missed several films on TV because I prefer playing the game.

More computer problems! :mad:

We're hooking my employer's laptop up to the TV in the living room to stream a game. CBS lets you watch their SEC broadcasts through their website and our broadcast reception is crappy here, so it's great that we can use the website. Anyway, plug HDMI cable into laptop, screen pops up on the TV. Go to the CBS site, open up a preview video, everything is great. Suddenly the sound cuts out. WTF? Check settings, HDMI is set to default, but still, no sound.

I've been screwing with audio settings for an hour, had the sound return, seem to be fine for a while, then cut out again. I just recently noticed that she had some game running in the background. I have turned that off and I'm holding out a small hope it was somehow causing problems; it seemed that the laptop was having some sort of conflicting audio issues and may have cut off the HDMI because of it. Right now the sound is playing fine through the TV.....but for how long?

I tried hooking up the old laptop but the video was too damn choppy while streaming. I've used multiple HDMI cables as well. The only other options I can think of now, if the sound goes bad again, are to use some computer speakers (which I don't know if they will be loud enough) or putting one of my desktops in the living room to play the game. That's not an option I want to use; I don't watch college football and I do use both my PCs. :p

I hope this isn't some sort of Win10 issue!
It could have been the game, if the sound returned after you shut the game off then you discovered the problem. Automatic anti virus updates or even OS updates might also have been your issue here. Double check your sound and display drivers, make sure they're current.

So far it's looking like it was the game; the sound has continued to work through the TV since I turned the game off. I actually had to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close the game, so it's likely it had been malfunctioning somehow.

This was also my first time using Win10. Not as horrible an interface as Win8, but still a bit too tablet-centric for my tastes. Hopefully I can keep using Vista for a while yet...and hopefully game designers/manufacturers start making more Linux-compatible games. :D
Win 8 and 10 are Microsoft's version of a "desktop" phone/tablet interface. Ubuntu was the first to develop and release that holy grail but they took an OS that shot for the moon and put it on a phone that could barely make it down the block, not the smartest of moves. The Ubuntu interface is being installed on a new high-end phone but currently it's only available in India, Russia and somewhere else over there (I forget where). Europe and Asia are starting to run with the Linux/Ubuntu phones only the US is stuck in the past (as usual since the last six decades).
Windows 10 is a very good OS for that application, beats out Ubuntu in some areas but sucks in others. I've had some freeze ups and serious waking delays (from sleep) with Win 10 and have been seriously considering replacing Win 10 with Ubuntu on this Win 10 laptop.
I'd like to do that with the Lenovo but I'm waiting till they develop whole packages to fix some of the driver issues specific to that computer running Linux.

Just had t-storms move through, very heavy rain and pea sized hail. Looks like more's on the way and obviously the humidity is waaaayyyyy up there, I don't need a hygrometer to tell me that....... :lol:

11223746_865307843581846_6414615564938031439_n.jpg

We had thunder and lightning overnight and early today--cleared off and was calm and warm for the mass ascension, the A/C kicked in several times today and gave way to more rain and thunder mid day, and tonight it is chilly and watching the UNM Lobos play New Mexico state at Lobo stadium tonight, the flags are fully extended and pointed every which way. The quarterbacks don't know if they'll be throwing with the wind on into a stiff breeze or a calm. But then. . . .

11017850_899841076745671_2928551754909913747_n.jpg

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre,
Gracie's Karma,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

The first wave awakens of the mass ascension on opening day of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta this morning.
-1b6caefb71f9a8f2.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Should be okay now. I got in okay.

Good morning everybody. Enjoying a good cup of coffee and catching up on the morning news. Will leave for the early church service within a half hour and then to brunch and then football the rest of the day. The only drawback to October--my most favorite month of the year--is October all day on Sundays. :)

Doc's page is up....
Well, good morning coffee shoppers! It's Sunday kind of my Hump Day.
I've calmed down a bit.
I ordered and paid for, 2 revolvers on Sept. 15 and was told they would arrive by the following Wednesday. After getting a run around for a week and a half, the sales rep the shop I bought the guns from has finally determined that the warehouse finally got around to shipping from Baltimore on Tuesday. He was able to get into shipping records and find a tracking number. I should have them Tuesday.

Doc's page is up....
I've calmed down a bit.
I ordered and paid for, 2 revolvers on Sept. 15 and was told they would arrive by the following Wednesday. After getting a run around for a week and a half, the sales rep the shop I bought the guns from has finally determined that the warehouse finally got around to shipping from Baltimore on Tuesday. He was able to get into shipping records and find a tracking number. I should have them Tuesday.

There's nothing like a screwed up shipping order to put a cloud around your head for days. Glad it's gotten worked out. :)

Morning folks. I've been up since 7am. Couldn't sleep due to a stupid dream I kept falling back in to even though I woke myself up a few times just to get rid of it. So, I just stayed up.
Went to a yard sale and got some garden art freebees, a HUGE native american rug/throw/something..not sure what, but it is all hand woven and hand knotted for 5 bucks, an Indian Head canoe oar from the 1940's for 5 bucks and a ladder book shelf from World Market that they never used and has been in the garage collecting dust, for 5 bucks.
I think my fav piece is the iron snake someone made. That is already in the garden. The rest of the garden art has to be repainted but that will be a good project for winter.

AND...it rained! W00T!! Enough to really soak the ground, but not enough for run off. Still..some is better than none.

My 91 day old CD DVD drive just started having problems........ ordered a new one last night plus decided to get another 16 GBs of RAM.
Still raining and it got quite cool last night, down in the 60s, the only drawback is the high humidity otherwise it would be rather pleasant.

Morning folks. I've been up since 7am. Couldn't sleep due to a stupid dream I kept falling back in to even though I woke myself up a few times just to get rid of it. So, I just stayed up.
Went to a yard sale and got some garden art freebees, a HUGE native american rug/throw/something..not sure what, but it is all hand woven and hand knotted for 5 bucks, an Indian Head canoe oar from the 1940's for 5 bucks and a ladder book shelf from World Market that they never used and has been in the garage collecting dust, for 5 bucks.
I think my fav piece is the iron snake someone made. That is already in the garden. The rest of the garden art has to be repainted but that will be a good project for winter.

AND...it rained! W00T!! Enough to really soak the ground, but not enough for run off. Still..some is better than none.
Garden art? You're of German descent, right?
:eusa_whistle:

Doc's page is up....
I've calmed down a bit.

There's nothing like a screwed up shipping order to put a cloud around your head for days. Glad it's gotten worked out. :)
The store I made the purchase in and the sales rep have been fantastic. They were both warned that they might become victims of my frustration and dealt with me both in person and over the phone. I wish I had been as courteous and helpful.
I have $1,100 sitting there not doing anything. I have a LOT of .45 long Colt ammo begging to be set free and a new gun belt that needs to be broken in.

German and Irish/Scot.
I live in the garden and consider it my living room, lol. So...it looks like anyone elses except it has no walls. Well, a fence, but you know what I mean.
I'm looking for canopies...you know, that folks use for picnics and whatnot...to cover the patio area for this winter so I can still be out there without getting wet.

German and Irish/Scot.
I live in the garden and consider it my living room, lol. So...it looks like anyone elses except it has no walls. Well, a fence, but you know what I mean.
I'm looking for canopies...you know, that folks use for picnics and whatnot...to cover the patio area for this winter so I can still be out there without getting wet.
One could always tell where those of German descent lived, lawn and garden "ornaments"...... :lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back