USMB Coffee Shop IV

And here's a little puzzle for our insomniacs to work on tonight or something to do while having our morning coffee tomorrow:

12742328_215361582150339_3235876316608794891_n.jpg

I think I'm going to start up my Animal Spirit Guide thread again. It will give me something to do in the wee hours.

Basically just put together a sack coat (1830s thru 1870s), made it out of muslin and canvas and it's in the dye bath right now, going for dark brown.
Looks similar to this one;

sack%20coat.jpg

I am properly impressed. There are some significant tailoring and sewing machine skills there.
That one was fairly simple as I didn't really line it just using the muslin interfacing as a liner. The one I made is a little too short, about 2 inches short as I guessed the length instead of actually measuring. I'll order the sack coat pattern and make one in proper wool and properly line it.

Post pictures of it when you're done! :)
As long as I'm not in em......

Was gonna go up to Fort Stanton today, they do a living history every 3rd Saturday in the month. Had everything ready but couldn't get to sleep until after 1 am then my hands going to sleep and becoming painful woke me up at 6:30. Turned off the alarm so it wouldn't go off and let the wife sleep. There's always next month.

Good morning everybody though it is already afternoon for most of you, and evening for Dajjal and our other Europeans. And if Noomi still reads in from time to time, it is Sunday at her place.

Hope all are having a good weekend. I understand planning an outing but when the time comes, doing nothing looks a lot better. And yes, there is almost always a next time.

For your morning quiz:

12715967_912645838855043_5329752425025417022_o.jpg

Okay, I'll relent, here's me in my new outfit.

IMG_20160220_110126794.jpg

Blows out any idea that I might look like Johnny Depp or Val Kilmer........ :lol:

Difficult to tell because your face is so shaded. But I am impressed at your tailoring skills. :)
The trousers, shirt, boot and hat are all store bought, I just did the vest and coat and am anything but pleased with the finished product. :dunno:

Blows out any idea that I might look like Johnny Depp or Val Kilmer........ :lol:

Difficult to tell because your face is so shaded. But I am impressed at your tailoring skills. :)
The trousers, shirt, boot and hat are all store bought, I just did the vest and coat and am anything but pleased with the finished product. :dunno:

Looks good to me!
It seems to just need some alterations and it would look great.

Looks good to me!

I dunno. The fit on the jacket and vest look pretty good. And I think the trousers are supposed to be really loose fit. I wonder though. Did they wear the highly polished shiny boots back then? But I just checked a site selling 'authentic' civil war period men's wear and obviously they did:

Looks good to me!
Thanks but these were practice pieces, I have a proper sack coat pattern on the way and I already have the wool fabric I need to make a new vest and coat correctly.

Looks good to me!

I dunno. The fit on the jacket and vest look pretty good. And I think the trousers are supposed to be really loose fit. I wonder though. Did they wear the highly polished shiny boots back then? But I just checked a site selling 'authentic' civil war period men's wear and obviously they did:

Yup, they had shinny boots even in the 1700s but they also had "suede" (rough side out) boots and shoes. That outfit there is representative of 1870s and onward, not the Civil War period, you can tell by the cut of the frock, the vest and the cravat style.
Mine is mostly 1840s to 1870s except for the hat and boots. From what we have been able to find the boots are mid 1870s and the hat goes back to the late 1600s up to the present.

If you saw them almost simultaneously then you can be sure you are really creative. At least according to the guys in the video clip. :)

Forum List

Back