USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just got back from a road trip up to Silver City then the Gila Cliff Dwellings (which we didn't hike up to). I'm exhausted. One thing is the trip up to the Cliff Dwellings from Silver City is a gorgeous albeit slow drive. The section of Rte 15 from Silver City is mostly winding, twisty road barely big enough for two cars to pass each other, the section after Rte 35 is much better and it's all mountain driving.
I've actually been there, done that and agree wholeheartedly. My biggest challenge was having a acrophobic aunt along for the ride. I finally put her in the camper with a dose of her nerve pills. She slept most of the way, thank goodness. The squeals, screams, and white-knuckle grip on the dash were...trying.

I've got severe acrophobia. Can't even go up more than a couple of steps on a ladder and even that is stressful. Yet I have no issue with mountain roads, cliffs, or flying in planes. I guess it all depends on whether or not you perceive a fear of falling.

I just claim I get a nosebleed three rungs up on a ladder to give me an excuse not to get on one. Agree that mountains and flying don't bother me, but I can't walk to the edge of a high cliff such as the Grand Canyon. And I can't walk out on a high suspension bridge--it's like an invisible source of some kind trying to drag me over the rail. Can't explain it. It is my only real phobia.
They have a "glass" walkway at the Grand Canyon...ah, yeah...no thanks, I'll pass.

Just got back from a road trip up to Silver City then the Gila Cliff Dwellings (which we didn't hike up to). I'm exhausted. One thing is the trip up to the Cliff Dwellings from Silver City is a gorgeous albeit slow drive. The section of Rte 15 from Silver City is mostly winding, twisty road barely big enough for two cars to pass each other, the section after Rte 35 is much better and it's all mountain driving.
I've actually been there, done that and agree wholeheartedly. My biggest challenge was having a acrophobic aunt along for the ride. I finally put her in the camper with a dose of her nerve pills. She slept most of the way, thank goodness. The squeals, screams, and white-knuckle grip on the dash were...trying.

I've got severe acrophobia. Can't even go up more than a couple of steps on a ladder and even that is stressful. Yet I have no issue with mountain roads, cliffs, or flying in planes. I guess it all depends on whether or not you perceive a fear of falling.
I can climb (or used to be able to) a near shear rock wall but put me on the edge of a roof or on top of anything very high that's man made (ladders not included) and my heart starts racing.
The only time I would climb rocks or cliffs was when forced to. Often, I would have to in order to preserve my "macho" dignity. Now, repelling back down was cool fun. Repelling out of helicopters...not so much, nothing to put your feet on.

My ghost peppers are coming in! :eusa_dance:
I'm ecstatic that I was able to protect them from being drowned in the relentless rain we've had for two weeks -- that's why I grow in pots around here. We get more rain than Seattle.

From the stem end an orange washes over that evolves into a fiery red. They told me when I bought the seedlings they would be "very hot" but I didn't really appreciate how hot until I looked up some video of people actually eating one whole.... this is one million Scoville units baby.

Can I interest anybody in a nice.... salad? :eusa_angel:

Why do they call them ghost peppers? Are they more potent than habaneros?

Comparing habaneros to ghost peppers is like comparing a 747 to a Cessna two seater single prop.........

I forgot to add, ghost peppers are the 747........ :D

Since I can't tolerate the heat in habaneros, I wouldn't try ghost peppers. But I have read that they can add 2 to 10 times as much heat as habaneros.

About a decade or so ago they were the hottest peppers on the planet, now they're at the cool end of the top ten.

My ghost peppers are coming in! :eusa_dance:
I'm ecstatic that I was able to protect them from being drowned in the relentless rain we've had for two weeks -- that's why I grow in pots around here. We get more rain than Seattle.

From the stem end an orange washes over that evolves into a fiery red. They told me when I bought the seedlings they would be "very hot" but I didn't really appreciate how hot until I looked up some video of people actually eating one whole.... this is one million Scoville units baby.

Can I interest anybody in a nice.... salad? :eusa_angel:

Why do they call them ghost peppers? Are they more potent than habaneros?

Comparing habaneros to ghost peppers is like comparing a 747 to a Cessna two seater single prop.........

I forgot to add, ghost peppers are the 747........ :D

Since I can't tolerate the heat in habaneros, I wouldn't try ghost peppers. But I have read that they can add 2 to 10 times as much heat as habaneros.

In my younger incarnation, I loved hot food, the hotter the better. These last few years, excessive heat does have unfortunate after effects. My daughter grows a lot of those high-octane peppers, though. They love 'em, although she won't touch an onion if she knows it's there. (I used to tell her they were celery!)

I can climb (or used to be able to) a near shear rock wall but put me on the edge of a roof or on top of anything very high that's man made (ladders not included) and my heart starts racing.

I used to work in a seaside pier that had running lights along the roof. It was part of my job to climb up and replace the bulbs. The lights had to be on in order for you to see which ones to replace. The snag was that sometimes the bulb holders would fill with water. So when I tried to unscrew them I got electrocuted.
I use to walk down the roof top with one foot on either side of the middle and when I got a shock there was a risk of falling off the roof, but I was lucky and I never did.

I used to work in a seaside pier that had running lights along the roof. It was part of my job to climb up and replace the bulbs. The lights had to be on in order for you to see which ones to replace. The snag was that sometimes the bulb holders would fill with water. So when I tried to unscrew them I got electrocuted.
I use to walk down the roof top with one foot on either side of the middle and when I got a shock there was a risk of falling off the roof, but I was lucky and I never did.
Couldn't you have pulled the circuit breakers? The first thing we do when working on any electrical unit on an aircraft is disable the system by pulling the CB. (The second thing is to label the CB and the controls so the flight crew doesn't operate the system.)

The only time I would climb rocks or cliffs was when forced to. Often, I would have to in order to preserve my "macho" dignity. Now, repelling back down was cool fun. Repelling out of helicopters...not so much, nothing to put your feet on.
I used to climb these all the time;

CentralGardenSouthward_0.jpg

And these;

1301976_medium_e6fe5c.jpg

And this;

resize

LOA!!! There's a TV station here called the "Justice" channel. Fun, cop show stuff. They have one show, "Alaska State Troopers", which holds a particular interest for me, as some may understand. For light entertainment, I make note how a national show pronounces local Alaskan place names. You'd think they'd bother to find out how we really say things up here!

And these;

And this;

resize
Unfortunately, I could not open the images. I'm sure I would get shivers looking at them. Technical climbing was never a favorite of mine.

And these;

And this;

resize
Unfortunately, I could not open the images. I'm sure I would get shivers looking at them. Technical climbing was never a favorite of mine.
Garden of the Gods

North Cheyenne Canyon

Pikes Peak

In that order........ And I did it all free style.......

Couldn't you have pulled the circuit breakers? The first thing we do when working on any electrical unit on an aircraft is disable the system by pulling the CB. (The second thing is to label the CB and the controls so the flight crew doesn't operate the system.)

No, I had to have the lights working to see which bulbs to replace. What is more I used to walk the roof in bare feet because they are a better grip than shoes. So I was well earthed and could have got a severe shock. I thought later that I should at least have used rubber gloves. But at the time I did not think of it.
The roof was metal and if it rained it instantly became very slippery, so I had to come down before I fell down if it rained.

Over the last two weeks I've had a couple of hummingbirds show up in the back yard occasionally, one even hovered in front of my face about two feet away. Finally picked up a feeder and set it out back this morning, they're making good use of it. :thup:

Over the last two weeks I've had a couple of hummingbirds show up in the back yard occasionally, one even hovered in front of my face about two feet away. Finally picked up a feeder and set it out back this morning, they're making good use of it. :thup:

We don't have humming birds in Britain, but we do have wild parrots in various locations like the London parks.
They originally escaped from an aviary, and started breeding in the wild. Now there are lots of them.

We don't have humming birds in Britain, but we do have wild parrots in various locations like the London parks.
They originally escaped from an aviary, and started breeding in the wild. Now there are lots of them.
Better than the wild pigs over here........

LOA!!! There's a TV station here called the "Justice" channel. Fun, cop show stuff. They have one show, "Alaska State Troopers", which holds a particular interest for me, as some may understand. For light entertainment, I make note how a national show pronounces local Alaskan place names. You'd think they'd bother to find out how we really say things up here!

I'm not surprised they butcher Alaskan names. You ought to see what they do to New Mexico places. :)

And these;

And this;

resize
Garden of the Gods

North Cheyenne Canyon

Pikes Peak

In that order........ And I did it all free style.......
Yikes!:ack-1::bow3:

I'm not surprised they butcher Alaskan names. You ought to see what they do to New Mexico places. :)
I wouldn't be surprised at all. Lots of place names are based on what the locals called them when "discovered". How do you think Tok is pronounced?

No, I had to have the lights working to see which bulbs to replace. What is more I used to walk the roof in bare feet because they are a better grip than shoes. So I was well earthed and could have got a severe shock. I thought later that I should at least have used rubber gloves. But at the time I did not think of it.
The roof was metal and if it rained it instantly became very slippery, so I had to come down before I fell down if it rained.
Danged! That sounds a bit risky, indeed. Glad you survived so we can have the pleasure of your company here.

Just returned from taking my Aunt Betty for a late eye injection for her macular degeneration. And for the first time she opened up and was able to speak about her fears that Uncle Ed probably isn't going to last much longer. He hardly eats, does not drink enough fluid to be healthy, and he is so weak he has to force himself to get up to walk. And he has been having severe spells of not being able to breathe because of his advanced COPD which of course is causing most of the other problems and is also exacerbating his glaucoma. Those of you who are still smoking, please stop. It just isn't worth it.
A little foreshadowing perhaps. My mother passed from Emphysema due to smoking. Next September 1st, will be the 16th anniversary of My quitting smoking. It was killing Me the same as it did My mother.

Danged! That sounds a bit risky, indeed. Glad you survived so we can have the pleasure of your company here.

I took more risks on motorcycles than on walking around on roofs. I used to do 120 Miles per hour on my 650cc Honda. The very first day I went out on it I thought I was doing about 50 mph but then a lorry pulled out a long way in front of me so I started braking, I glanced down at the speedo and found I was doing 90 mph not 50.
I was lucky to be able to stop in time, and I realized a 650 Honda with a streamlined fairing was a different kind of ride to my previous bikes. From then on I regularly did 120 mph on it.

Forum List

Back