USMB Coffee Shop IV

One of the last to get my rehire interview. I was asked to write my job description. This is going to be fun. In the big city five people do my job(s), of course they have more volume too. I stopped writing after the first page, it looks like bragging with two full pages.

But it definitely looks like things are looking up for you. Is the bad mouth guy staying on? Sometimes it is good to have a villain in the group. They usually don't care if they are the villain and it sort of takes pressure off of everybody else. :)

It was inevitable, I was fired today.

Seems there was some type of legal requirements to terminate all employees of the prior company and then hire those you want to keep on the new company.

I handed in my signed termination letter about 3:00pm.

Then I got a slew of employee handbook, sales pay schedule, state and federal withholding, I-9, management position pay and benefit schedule and a few other papers.

I left for the rest of the day to do my monthly grandkid watching about 3:30pm. Last I heard two employees quit for sure and I understand two others will probably leave, maybe two beyond that. If true, that would be 30% of staff. I find it all rather strange, the new owner is basically keeping the pay close to the same with few other changes.

I'll be in the middle of the high desert. Thinking of snow and mud and goats wondering if I shoulda headed the other way. :lol:
The high desert is one of my favorite places and I might be there if I hadn't found here. Maybe, just maybe, you have found your "here". Sunrise and sunset are usually pretty breathtaking in the high desert.
Well...if we live long enough to buy our own place...you are always welcome to come where we are if you get burned out where you are. Or even just a long visit! Then again...it might not be what we want and we wind up banging on your door in our snow gear asking where to put our toothbrushes, lol.

One of the last to get my rehire interview. I was asked to write my job description. This is going to be fun. In the big city five people do my job(s), of course they have more volume too. I stopped writing after the first page, it looks like bragging with two full pages.

But it definitely looks like things are looking up for you. Is the bad mouth guy staying on? Sometimes it is good to have a villain in the group. They usually don't care if they are the villain and it sort of takes pressure off of everybody else. :)

Seems there was some type of legal requirements to terminate all employees of the prior company and then hire those you want to keep on the new company.

Then I got a slew of employee handbook, sales pay schedule, state and federal withholding, I-9, management position pay and benefit schedule and a few other papers.

I left for the rest of the day to do my monthly grandkid watching about 3:30pm. Last I heard two employees quit for sure and I understand two others will probably leave, maybe two beyond that. If true, that would be 30% of staff. I find it all rather strange, the new owner is basically keeping the pay close to the same with few other changes.
You lost your job???

You lost your job???

The company was sold Gracie. I was hired by the new owner for the same job. Slightly less pay for each vehicle sold, but there should be more opportunity to sell more cars, so most likely a net pay increase.

Oh. Ok! I ve been so far into my own dumpy world I have neglected to keep up on everyone else. Very fair weather friendish, and I apologize. Nothing irritates me more than fair weather friends. I hope I am not one. :(

Glad you still have your job, although less pay. Somethin' is better than nothin', know what I mean Vern?

I'll be in the middle of the high desert. Thinking of snow and mud and goats wondering if I shoulda headed the other way. :lol:

Having lived in the High Desert for most of my growing up years and for the last 16 years, there are much much worse things. Hoping the best for you Gracie.

Good night Darlinks. I hope all sleep well. And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in their transition and Gracie's eye surgery,
Saveliberty in job transition,
Montrovant's transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

And for gallantwarrior who lost his beloved Uschi yesterday:

rainbow-bridge.jpg

The high desert is one of my favorite places and I might be there if I hadn't found here. Maybe, just maybe, you have found your "here". Sunrise and sunset are usually pretty breathtaking in the high desert.
Well...if we live long enough to buy our own place...you are always welcome to come where we are if you get burned out where you are. Or even just a long visit! Then again...it might not be what we want and we wind up banging on your door in our snow gear asking where to put our toothbrushes, lol.
Ya never know what twists and turns fate may bring.

You lost your job???

The company was sold Gracie. I was hired by the new owner for the same job. Slightly less pay for each vehicle sold, but there should be more opportunity to sell more cars, so most likely a net pay increase.

On my last job in which somebody other than me paid me, I started out at $2,000/month to do administrative stuff, plus commission for the claims work I did. It wasn't long before I was making more money than I had ever made, so the boss decided I was being overpaid and assigned the administrative stuff to a secretary (it eventually took two of them to do it) and said I would just be on straight commission. And when I say straight commission that is the pure truth--no money for expenses or any benefits of any kind, but they were withholding social security and taxes so that turned out to be a real benefit when it came time to collect social security. But not having to do all the administrative crap left me more time to work claims so I added about $30k to my commission earnings.

So it is the truth that when you are actually paid for what you do instead of some agreed salary, less can be more if you have more to do. (That made sense to me even if it sounds wierd. :) )

GOOD MORNING CAMPERS :gay::boobies:

Halò and Latha DEATHMENTAL and welcome to the Coffee Shop. So happy you found us from all the way across the pond and we hope your experience here at USMB is a good one. It can sometimes get pretty nuts (okay stupid) out there on the board though, so the Coffee Shop can be a pleasant retreat from all that. Drag up a chair and join right in.

Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

irn-bru.jpg

The real reason for terminating all employees then rehiring them has nothing to do with legal requirements, it's a legal move to protect the new owner who can then change the pay scale and cut wages and salary with impunity. The other, more important aspect has to do with retirement, someone who has been close to retirement now loses all that time and loses the retirement package (if the company has one).

The real reason for terminating all employees then rehiring them has nothing to do with legal requirements, it's a legal move to protect the new owner who can then change the pay scale and cut wages and salary with impunity. The other, more important aspect has to do with retirement, someone who has been close to retirement now loses all that time and loses the retirement package (if the company has one).

There is probably some truth in that too though labor laws do vary a bit from state to state. In most cases the new owner wants to institute his own personnel policy and often brings in some of his own people meaning others have to go. It is just cleaner and more simple to start over fresh and hire the people you want. Years ago I was working for a small company that was bought and sold twice and each time the pay scales and policies changed. But I was working as an independent contractor, actually as my own business, each time so the company could assign us whatever work they wanted, or if they wanted to get rid of somebody they just didn't assign that person any work. Each company though did have us sign a 'contract' of sorts spelled out the details and each one was different.

I am a disgruntled ex employee, (big time) I walked out of a job as an electronics repair man because I had a fight with my employer over his eldest daughter. I thought she fancied me, but he would not allow her to go out with me. The family were like a local branch of the mafia and I took up tyekwondo To defend myself against them. But it did not save me, because one night I got falling down drunk and went up and agued with my ex employer. His son came up to me and sucker punched me when I was looking the other way. That was just one of my many jobs.

Last edited:

There is probably some truth in that too though labor laws do vary a bit from state to state. In most cases the new owner wants to institute his own personnel policy and often brings in some of his own people meaning others have to go. It is just cleaner and more simple to start over fresh and hire the people you want. Years ago I was working for a small company that was bought and sold twice and each time the pay scales and policies changed. But I was working as an independent contractor, actually as my own business, each time so the company could assign us whatever work they wanted, or if they wanted to get rid of somebody they just didn't assign that person any work. Each company though did have us sign a 'contract' of sorts spelled out the details and each one was different.
All of that also. Basically that removes all employees from being grandfathered removing their chance of winning any lawsuit they might bring against the owner for not rehiring or cutting wages/salaries agreed upon with the previous owner. When I was with Vance it was sold four times, the last company to buy the firm had us all reapply though they didn't change our payscale as we were all contracted out. What they did try to do was send their "inquisitors" to all the contract sites to find any excuse to fire us and replace us with much lower paid personnel. Fortunately the company that I was contracted to loved us and literally told our employer they would cancel the contract and take us with them to a new contractor if they messed with us. We were left alone.

I am a disgruntled ex employee, (big time) I walked out of a job as an electronics repair man because I had a fight with my employer over his eldest daughter. I thought she fancied me, but he would not allow her to go out with me. The family were like a local branch of the mafia and I took up tyekwondo To defend myself against them. But it did not save me, because one night I got falling down drunk and went up and agued with my ex employer. His son came up to me and sucker punched me when I was looking the other way. That was just one of my many jobs.

Well now that you're sober--and that in itself is noble and heroic--you might have better luck. :)

Oh! Scotland! I have always wanted to go there for a visit. Ireland, too. But mostly Scotland. Don't know why. Just fascinates me.

Oh! Scotland! I have always wanted to go there for a visit. Ireland, too. But mostly Scotland. Don't know why. Just fascinates me.

I wanted to do a motorcycle tour of Scotland to the highest point, and all around the coast. But I never got that far. Instead I toured the south coast of England starting at Weston super mare and going down to lands end, then coming back up the coast to Dover. Staying overnight in various places.

Forum List

Back