USMB Coffee Shop IV

Couldn't you have pulled the circuit breakers? The first thing we do when working on any electrical unit on an aircraft is disable the system by pulling the CB. (The second thing is to label the CB and the controls so the flight crew doesn't operate the system.)

No, I had to have the lights working to see which bulbs to replace. What is more I used to walk the roof in bare feet because they are a better grip than shoes. So I was well earthed and could have got a severe shock. I thought later that I should at least have used rubber gloves. But at the time I did not think of it.
The roof was metal and if it rained it instantly became very slippery, so I had to come down before I fell down if it rained.
Danged! That sounds a bit risky, indeed. Glad you survived so we can have the pleasure of your company here.

I took more risks on motorcycles than on walking around on roofs. I used to do 120 Miles per hour on my 650cc Honda. The very first day I went out on it I thought I was doing about 50 mph but then a lorry pulled out a long way in front of me so I started braking, I glanced down at the speedo and found I was doing 90 mph not 50.
I was lucky to be able to stop in time, and I realized a 650 Honda with a streamlined fairing was a different kind of ride to my previous bikes. From then on I regularly did 120 mph on it.
When I was living in the DC metro area it wasn't speeding on a bike that was the most dangerous it was the traffic and the number of people who literally do not see you and pull out in front of you. That's what I was always on the guard for and being on guard kept me out more than a few life threatening accidents.

Just returned from taking my Aunt Betty for a late eye injection for her macular degeneration. And for the first time she opened up and was able to speak about her fears that Uncle Ed probably isn't going to last much longer. He hardly eats, does not drink enough fluid to be healthy, and he is so weak he has to force himself to get up to walk. And he has been having severe spells of not being able to breathe because of his advanced COPD which of course is causing most of the other problems and is also exacerbating his glaucoma. Those of you who are still smoking, please stop. It just isn't worth it.
A little foreshadowing perhaps. My mother passed from Emphysema due to smoking. Next September 1st, will be the 16th anniversary of My quitting smoking. It was killing Me the same as it did My mother.

Yes, I lost my mother to emphysema and lung cancer, both almost certainly caused by smoking, in 1983. I managed to quit soon after that--and I was a heavy smoker at the time. I've never regretted doing it for a minute though.

Couldn't you have pulled the circuit breakers? The first thing we do when working on any electrical unit on an aircraft is disable the system by pulling the CB. (The second thing is to label the CB and the controls so the flight crew doesn't operate the system.)

No, I had to have the lights working to see which bulbs to replace. What is more I used to walk the roof in bare feet because they are a better grip than shoes. So I was well earthed and could have got a severe shock. I thought later that I should at least have used rubber gloves. But at the time I did not think of it.
The roof was metal and if it rained it instantly became very slippery, so I had to come down before I fell down if it rained.
Danged! That sounds a bit risky, indeed. Glad you survived so we can have the pleasure of your company here.

I took more risks on motorcycles than on walking around on roofs. I used to do 120 Miles per hour on my 650cc Honda. The very first day I went out on it I thought I was doing about 50 mph but then a lorry pulled out a long way in front of me so I started braking, I glanced down at the speedo and found I was doing 90 mph not 50.
I was lucky to be able to stop in time, and I realized a 650 Honda with a streamlined fairing was a different kind of ride to my previous bikes. From then on I regularly did 120 mph on it.
When I was living in the DC metro area it wasn't speeding on a bike that was the most dangerous it was the traffic and the number of people who literally do not see you and pull out in front of you. That's what I was always on the guard for and being on guard kept me out more than a few life threatening accidents.

IMO, anybody who survives DC traffic is living a charmed life.

Stateside, I never went that fast on a motorcycle, but the German autobahn was a different animal. Just going with the flow of traffic required those speeds. I did some dumb things on bikes, though, too. I went from the coast of California to the coast of North Carolina on my first bike, a Honda 350. Tightened the chain every evening!

LOA!!! There's a TV station here called the "Justice" channel. Fun, cop show stuff. They have one show, "Alaska State Troopers", which holds a particular interest for me, as some may understand. For light entertainment, I make note how a national show pronounces local Alaskan place names. You'd think they'd bother to find out how we really say things up here!

I'm not surprised they butcher Alaskan names. You ought to see what they do to New Mexico places. :)
I wouldn't be surprised at all. Lots of place names are based on what the locals called them when "discovered". How do you think Tok is pronounced?

I've already pronounced it T - oo - k, with the oo as in oo la la. Not sure if that is correct though. I'm sure most pronounced it T - oh - k.

I used to commute from Quantico to Alexandria every day I worked. What a zoo! People farding, making coffee, reading the paper, and all manner of not-driving activities.

LOA!!! There's a TV station here called the "Justice" channel. Fun, cop show stuff. They have one show, "Alaska State Troopers", which holds a particular interest for me, as some may understand. For light entertainment, I make note how a national show pronounces local Alaskan place names. You'd think they'd bother to find out how we really say things up here!

I'm not surprised they butcher Alaskan names. You ought to see what they do to New Mexico places. :)
I wouldn't be surprised at all. Lots of place names are based on what the locals called them when "discovered". How do you think Tok is pronounced?

I've already pronounced it T - oo - k, with the oo as in oo la la. Not sure if that is correct though. I'm sure most pronounced it T - oh - k.
Actually, it's "toke", like smoking a joint.

We Pittsburghers mispronounce our local place names, so when we hear them pronounced correctly we know that it is an outsider or someone fresh out of college with a shiny degree in Communications recently hired by a local station.

There's a town; North Versailles we call 'North Versails'. Carnegie is pronounced CarnEGGY, and don't get me started on Zelienople!

Yea ! I was an experienced biker, and I studied the police motorcycling manual. I used to read the road well in front of me. The manual said speed was not always dangerous, depending on the road conditions. I used to speed on motorways by sticking to the outside lane.
I overtook everything and kept clear of other traffic, that is until I was nicked for two speeding tickets So I tried to do 70mph the speed limit., but I was in far greater danger then because bloody minded lorry drivers tail gated me.
On two separate occasions lorries almost pushed me into the back of lorries in front . I had to blast out of there using the bikes acceleration to get clear. After the second time it happened I went back to speeding to get past lorries and slowed down to the speed limit when I was on clear roads.
Those bastards could have killed me if my bike had not had the power to get clear of them.

Last edited:
We Pittsburghers mispronounce our local place names, so when we hear them pronounced correctly we know that it is an outsider or someone fresh out of college with a shiny degree in Communications recently hired by a local station.

There's a town; North Versailles we call 'North Versails'. Carnegie is pronounced CarnEGGY, and don't get me started on Zelienople!

There is a little town in the mountains on the back road through the mountains between here and Santa Fe called Madrid. The 'foreigners' give themselves away by pronouncing it Ma-DRID as it is pronounced in Spain. But the locals know it is actually MAD-drid. Same kind of deal. :)

Here in Eastern Pennsylvania, we have a town called Montrose.....The old-timers pronounce it Mont Rose while every one else says it as one word....as in Ronny Montrose, Bad Moter Scooter!...

Note how young Sammy Hagar is!!

Just got back from a road trip up to Silver City then the Gila Cliff Dwellings (which we didn't hike up to). I'm exhausted. One thing is the trip up to the Cliff Dwellings from Silver City is a gorgeous albeit slow drive. The section of Rte 15 from Silver City is mostly winding, twisty road barely big enough for two cars to pass each other, the section after Rte 35 is much better and it's all mountain driving.
I've actually been there, done that and agree wholeheartedly. My biggest challenge was having a acrophobic aunt along for the ride. I finally put her in the camper with a dose of her nerve pills. She slept most of the way, thank goodness. The squeals, screams, and white-knuckle grip on the dash were...trying.

I've got severe acrophobia. Can't even go up more than a couple of steps on a ladder and even that is stressful. Yet I have no issue with mountain roads, cliffs, or flying in planes. I guess it all depends on whether or not you perceive a fear of falling.

I just claim I get a nosebleed three rungs up on a ladder to give me an excuse not to get on one. Agree that mountains and flying don't bother me, but I can't walk to the edge of a high cliff such as the Grand Canyon. And I can't walk out on a high suspension bridge--it's like an invisible source of some kind trying to drag me over the rail. Can't explain it. It is my only real phobia.

I find the flying one odd. I get that up on a mountain you're still on the ground, so unless you stand on an edge, it doesn't feel like you are 'up'. In a plane, though, it definitely feels 'up'. Falling always seems like a distinct possibility, too. :p

Just got back from a road trip up to Silver City then the Gila Cliff Dwellings (which we didn't hike up to). I'm exhausted. One thing is the trip up to the Cliff Dwellings from Silver City is a gorgeous albeit slow drive. The section of Rte 15 from Silver City is mostly winding, twisty road barely big enough for two cars to pass each other, the section after Rte 35 is much better and it's all mountain driving.
I've actually been there, done that and agree wholeheartedly. My biggest challenge was having a acrophobic aunt along for the ride. I finally put her in the camper with a dose of her nerve pills. She slept most of the way, thank goodness. The squeals, screams, and white-knuckle grip on the dash were...trying.

I've got severe acrophobia. Can't even go up more than a couple of steps on a ladder and even that is stressful. Yet I have no issue with mountain roads, cliffs, or flying in planes. I guess it all depends on whether or not you perceive a fear of falling.

I just claim I get a nosebleed three rungs up on a ladder to give me an excuse not to get on one. Agree that mountains and flying don't bother me, but I can't walk to the edge of a high cliff such as the Grand Canyon. And I can't walk out on a high suspension bridge--it's like an invisible source of some kind trying to drag me over the rail. Can't explain it. It is my only real phobia.
They have a "glass" walkway at the Grand Canyon...ah, yeah...no thanks, I'll pass.

How about this?

;)

They have a "glass" walkway at the Grand Canyon...ah, yeah...no thanks, I'll pass.

How about this?

;)

I know people who have done that ride, I wouldn't come close to even thinking about doing that.

How about this?

;)

I'd need more than beer to do that. After you, my friend!:hellno:

There's a Versailles in Missouri they call "ver-sales".
And a Beloit in Wisconsin called "be-loyt"...
Calais Maine pronounced "Kallas"...

I made up a batch of pickled eggs last week. They have now cured to an edible state. I've been noshing on them all day. I will have a blast (heh-heh-heh) at work tonight. The remaining morsels of deliciousness will be delivered for my co-workers' snacking pleasure. Alas, it will be too late for retribution!:dev3:

Well....it's official. We will be out on the 17th of Sept. Got the internet, phone, electric, gas, water, trash, cable cancelled for the 16th and bill sent to the new address (my friends house). Everything that was to be sold is sold. Landlord bought the washer and dryer and we are giving him the new dishwasher we installed a year ago, along with the fridge which is a good'un cuz it has an ice maker in it and also keeps ice cream HARD.
Also leaving him a recliner (not mine. That is going to the inlaws), and pc chair, about 4 potted plants and a clean house. Not going to paint. Just clean the bathrooms and kitchen, vac. I told him he needs to have it painted and new carpet cuz this one is shot after 12 years and us having dogs. He said fine...he is going to be having dogs too once he moves in.

So....I am coming to terms with it. Can't fight it, but I sure tried. For months. But, we have a place to go that is only 5 hours away and I think I can make side money there cuz nobody there does what I do...painting furniture! My friend said the folks there will go hog wild over it, so.....hopefully I will stay in non flare up mode and get some dressers painted and sold and have a part time job doing what I love doing and hold my own hours doing that job.

Do I FEEL better? Yeah. I think so. This door is fixing to shut. Another one is opening. No clue what the future holds, but we will see, won't we? :)

Well....it's official. We will be out on the 17th of Sept. Got the internet, phone, electric, gas, water, trash, cable cancelled for the 16th and bill sent to the new address (my friends house). Everything that was to be sold is sold. Landlord bought the washer and dryer and we are giving him the new dishwasher we installed a year ago, along with the fridge which is a good'un cuz it has an ice maker in it and also keeps ice cream HARD.
Also leaving him a recliner (not mine. That is going to the inlaws), and pc chair, about 4 potted plants and a clean house. Not going to paint. Just clean the bathrooms and kitchen, vac. I told him he needs to have it painted and new carpet cuz this one is shot after 12 years and us having dogs. He said fine...he is going to be having dogs too once he moves in.

So....I am coming to terms with it. Can't fight it, but I sure tried. For months. But, we have a place to go that is only 5 hours away and I think I can make side money there cuz nobody there does what I do...painting furniture! My friend said the folks there will go hog wild over it, so.....hopefully I will stay in non flare up mode and get some dressers painted and sold and have a part time job doing what I love doing and hold my own hours doing that job.

Do I FEEL better? Yeah. I think so. This door is fixing to shut. Another one is opening. No clue what the future holds, but we will see, won't we? :)
It seems you're looking forward with a positive attitude, Gracie. One door closes, another opens. And you are never to old to make yourself anew. Good luck! My thoughts are often with you and I am hoping for the best outcome.

I'll be in the middle of the high desert. Thinking of snow and mud and goats wondering if I shoulda headed the other way. :lol:

Forum List

Back