USMB Coffee Shop IV

I am stressing out big time. MrG and I are now arguing because he wants to bury Moki in the backyard under the tree. Its killing me to know he will be out there alone. And us gone. We are all supposed to be together. TOGETHER. Moki's ashes with Gracie's. Then when Karma goes..hers added. Then mine if I go before MrG, or MrG's if he goes before me. And when all of us are together, the inlaws dump us all together either in the ocean or in a flowering field with a stream. I can't bear the thought of Moki staying here. Alone.

Can't find any advice for that one Gracie. So sorry. :(

Ha, I just checked my email and amazon sent me a message telling me my parcel is due on Friday and it's coming by mail. That means I can look out of the window and see the mailman. I am not answering the door to anyone else for the foreseeable future, and I am going to keep my eyes open when I go out to the shops in case someone is watching. But I wish I could legally own a gun. The only viable gun I can get is an antique percussion revolver, and you cannot get percussion nipples in England. Added to that they are difficult to load. You need a matching bullet mold to make a tight fitting ball, and if you don't seal the gunpowder down tightly enough the chambers can flash over from one to the next, and the gun will explode in your face and blow off your hand.
I would prefer a double barreled flintlock but they are very expensive. I would probably have to sell my gold coins to buy one.

:) It is a problem for sure. :)

My mind is working overtime on burglar defeating strategy's. I just searched 30 pages of alarm systems on amazon looking for a siren I can set off with a switch, but I did not find anything suitable yet.

I have been up since 4am because after some bastard knocked on my door I could not get back to sleep.

That has happen twice in two days? I would sure be looking out to see who is knocking on your door at that hour.

If I get the chance I will photograph them through the window, but the last two nights I was not quick enough to get out of bed.

Ha, I just checked my email and amazon sent me a message telling me my parcel is due on Friday and it's coming by mail. That means I can look out of the window and see the mailman. I am not answering the door to anyone else for the foreseeable future, and I am going to keep my eyes open when I go out to the shops in case someone is watching. But I wish I could legally own a gun. The only viable gun I can get is an antique percussion revolver, and you cannot get percussion nipples in England. Added to that they are difficult to load. You need a matching bullet mold to make a tight fitting ball, and if you don't seal the gunpowder down tightly enough the chambers can flash over from one to the next, and the gun will explode in your face and blow off your hand.
I would prefer a double barreled flintlock but they are very expensive. I would probably have to sell my gold coins to buy one.

My mind is working overtime on burglar defeating strategy's. I just searched 30 pages of alarm systems on amazon looking for a siren I can set off with a switch, but I did not find anything suitable yet.

Could I recommend a safety deposit box at the bank for your gold sovereigns? I assume British banks have them. They are really cheap over here--much more so than an alarm system would be.

The hummingbird saga continues. It appears we have one broadtail and two rubies, the broadtail has taken over the feeder and will sit on the pole guarding it. One ruby will stay out of sight while the other flies in and hovers above the broadtail who then gives chase, when out of sight the second ruby will come in to feast. When the broadtail returns he give chase to the second ruby then the first ruby returns to feast. :lol:

Could I recommend a safety deposit box at the bank for your gold sovereigns? I assume British banks have them. They are really cheap over here--much more so than an alarm system would be.

Normally have my money hidden in a cash box that would be hard to find. But if someone with a gun comes to my door and gets in I not want to have to give them the cash box because then they would get everything. So I will keep some in a bag to give to the gunman and the rest hidden in my box. I do not see myself getting a bank deposit box as that would slowly eat some money in rental.

Normally have my money hidden in a cash box that would be hard to find. But if someone with a gun comes to my door and gets in I not want to have to give them the cash box because then they would get everything. So I will keep some in a bag to give to the gunman and the rest hidden in my box. I do not see myself getting a bank deposit box as that would slowly eat some money in rental.

Whatever works for you, but that rental might be worth the price for peace of mind if you really believe you are at higher risk having all that gold on premises. An effective alarm system will probably cost you more than rental for many years of a bank box. But again, whatever works for you. We all have our own comfort level in how we arrange our lives.

I have been up since 4am because after some bastard knocked on my door I could not get back to sleep.

That has happen twice in two days? I would sure be looking out to see who is knocking on your door at that hour.

If I get the chance I will photograph them through the window, but the last two nights I was not quick enough to get out of bed.
I would suggest a can of spray for Yellow Jackets, Wasps or Hornets that shoots out a thin stream about 10-15 feet. Put on your alarm and be waiting at the door when he rings, open the door and give him a squirt in the face. After that you can proceed to whale the tar out of him.
Or you could have a pot of boiling water simmering on the stove, wake yourself with the alarm and wait till he rings. Boiling water administered to the crotch area will get his attention. Or a Rottweiler turned loose will make him break speed records. Good luck.

The hummingbird saga continues. It appears we have one broadtail and two rubies, the broadtail has taken over the feeder and will sit on the pole guarding it. One ruby will stay out of sight while the other flies in and hovers above the broadtail who then gives chase, when out of sight the second ruby will come in to feast. When the broadtail returns he give chase to the second ruby then the first ruby returns to feast. :lol:

When we lived up on the mountain we had several species of hummingbirds visiting our feeders. And while all could be territorial, the ruby throats were absolutely the most aggressive in guarding the feeder they staked out. The only defense we could give the others was multiple feeders. A single bird could not guard them all.

I would suggest a can of spray for Yellow Jackets, Wasps or Hornets that shoots out a thin stream about 10-15 feet. Put on your alarm and be waiting at the door when he rings, open the door and give him a squirt in the face. After that you can proceed to whale the tar out of him.
Or you could have a pot of boiling water simmering on the stove, wake yourself with the alarm and wait till he rings. Boiling water administered to the crotch area will get his attention. Or a Rottweiler turned loose will make him break speed records. Good luck.

I really think a small safety deposit box is a less lawsuit-inspiring solution. :)

I am concerned that he may have a gun and I do not, so I will not be answering the door at 4am and up to now he has just gone away. As long as the dumb bastard goes away, I will not have a problem of confrontation.
I used to do tyekwondo but I have not done it for years and I am old and unfit. But I daresay I could still do a simple downward kick to his knee that would break his leg. I could certainly claim that as self defence.

I really think a small safety deposit box is a less lawsuit-inspiring solution. :)

The snag with that is he may have been told I have gold sovereigns by someone who overheard when the man delivered them. There were workmen on a scaffolding over the road, and If they told someone I have gold I may not be able to convince them I do not, therefore if I get held up with a gun I aim to give them some without too much of an argument.

The snag with that is he may have been told I have gold sovereigns by someone who overheard when the man delivered them. There were workmen on a scaffolding over the road, and If they told someone I have gold I may not be able to convince them I do not, therefore if I get held up with a gun I aim to give them some without too much of an argument.

19946t.jpg

Here is a gun I could buy and shoot. Its a double barreled flintlock costing £1250 I bet the bloody burglars would not be expecting that.

Here is a gun I could buy and shoot. Its a double barreled flintlock costing £1250 I bet the bloody burglars would not be expecting that.

I was checking to see what that safety deposit box would cost you and they are more expensive there than here--the cheapest would be like 120 pounds per year. Here the cheapest are like $20/year. But also, somewhat alarming, it appears your banks are phasing out this service. I sure hope that trend doesn't catch on over here.

On the other hand, for somebody with the ability to provide the security and confidence, it could create a whole new cottage industry for some folks by offering private safety deposit boxes. The liability would be so severe though, it would take a special kind of risk taker to do that.

The end of bank safe deposit boxes: what you need to know

They are shutting banks down too. I am dreading the prospect of them shutting my branch, but I don't think they will because its central to the town. I think they mostly shut smaller branches.
I have been searching amazon for a suitable siren, but they only have ones that need an alarm system to work.

The more I think about it the more sure I am that someone is after my gold. I got it delivered on Monday, and I have had someone knock on my door at 4am on Tuesday and Wednesday night. I don't think its a coincidence.

The talent show starts tomorrow evening in the park. A few years ago, someone here was watching television and saw the show Amerrica's Got Talent. They decided to reduce that concept to our town. And so, tomorrow night and continuing into Saturday we will be treated to 'East Liverpool's Got Talent'. Careful preparations have been made to the amphitheater. Advertising banners are hanging from the proscenium, a curtain has been attached to the trusses, port-a-potties are rolled in and I expect the food vendor's wagons to show up tomorrow afternoon.

Meanwhile the girl's high school tennis season has started. Monday was East Liverpool vs New Philadelphia. Tuesday was Beaver Local vs. United Local and last night East Liverpool vs United Local. If I had known at 15 that miniature poodles draw high school girls like watermelon rinds draw flies, I would have been breeding poodles in 1972! Needless to say Daisy the Mutt brings matches to a stop while the players gather around to ooo and aww and give Daisy the attention she has come to expect. Plus, there's plenty of Doritos and Skittles laying around. Keeping her away from the junk food while letting the girls adore her is quite a task.

Last edited:
Someone banged on my door at 4am last night. I don't know who it was because naturally, I did not open the door. But paranoia made me think someone is trying to get in and steal my gold.

That may be a downside to having a lot of valuables in your home.

My flat is practically impregnable, with two locked doors between me and the street, and windows that are difficult to access as they need a ladder to reach them. I will not open the door without looking out of the window first, and I certainly ain't going to answer it at 4 am.
Wait, you don't have a .44 in your bathrobe pocket when you answer the door?

No, only criminals have guns in England. The only hand gun I can legally own is an antique, and after tonight I am seriously considering getting one. Because believe it or not I was woken up again by someone knocking on my door at 4am again. I was not alert enough to go to the window, so once again I did not see anyone.
But now I do think someone is after me.
There were scaffolders over the road outside when the man came to deliver my gold and he said "here are your eight gold sovereigns" In a voice loud enough to be overheard.
I am now thinking what kind of stupid arsehole comes to the door on two successive nights at 4 am and just goes away when you don't answer. If that's all they do its no problem. But I am thinking I might get a visit in daylight.
I am expecting a parcel from amazon so I have got to answer the door during the day. But I am going to look out of the window first to see who it is. If its a masked gunman I won't answer, Ha Ha.
Crooks don't have to wear a mask, or carry a gun. I would be cautious, were I you. Are you permitted pepper spray or a taser? Maybe a good investment. It won't stop them, but it would slow them up enough, perhaps?

Forum List

Back