USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ha, I just checked my email and amazon sent me a message telling me my parcel is due on Friday and it's coming by mail. That means I can look out of the window and see the mailman. I am not answering the door to anyone else for the foreseeable future, and I am going to keep my eyes open when I go out to the shops in case someone is watching. But I wish I could legally own a gun. The only viable gun I can get is an antique percussion revolver, and you cannot get percussion nipples in England. Added to that they are difficult to load. You need a matching bullet mold to make a tight fitting ball, and if you don't seal the gunpowder down tightly enough the chambers can flash over from one to the next, and the gun will explode in your face and blow off your hand.
I would prefer a double barreled flintlock but they are very expensive. I would probably have to sell my gold coins to buy one.
Maybe you could get yourself a noisy dog? The bigger-the-better.

I am stressing out big time. MrG and I are now arguing because he wants to bury Moki in the backyard under the tree. Its killing me to know he will be out there alone. And us gone. We are all supposed to be together. TOGETHER. Moki's ashes with Gracie's. Then when Karma goes..hers added. Then mine if I go before MrG, or MrG's if he goes before me. And when all of us are together, the inlaws dump us all together either in the ocean or in a flowering field with a stream. I can't bear the thought of Moki staying here. Alone.
I know what you mean, Gracie. You know, I got to thinking...OLC stopped eating the day I put Uschi into the ground (next to Big Dog, Aja). She howled to be let out of the house and then went and roamed around and laid down in places Uschi particularly liked to visit. Then OLC came back to the cabin and waited quietly for her biological clock to tick down to zero. Perhaps she was looking for her old friend? Those two had been together 18 years, too.
Moki might just prefer being "with" her friends. My daughter told me that she considers 'home' to be where her family is more than any particular place.

The more I think about it the more sure I am that someone is after my gold. I got it delivered on Monday, and I have had someone knock on my door at 4am on Tuesday and Wednesday night. I don't think its a coincidence.
Too bad you don't have a cat. I secure small, valuable things like that under the kitty litter. Most people don't even think of digging around in poop/pee to find something worthwhile. It beats the freezer. Everyone puts the goodies in the freezer.

I have been up since 4am because after some bastard knocked on my door I could not get back to sleep.

That has happen twice in two days? I would sure be looking out to see who is knocking on your door at that hour.

If I get the chance I will photograph them through the window, but the last two nights I was not quick enough to get out of bed.
Could you install a video camera that would watch the door?

We have changed plans again. If moki is acting like he is right now....he goes with us ALIVE. If he begins to act differently...then he will go with us as ashes. He will not be left here. Gracie is in a heart shaped box. She is not in the ground. 3 furkids are under the tree but these last 4 I had did not know them. My cat did the same thing yours did but it took her a couple of months. Still...same thing. She is now with Gracie. Moki will be going eventually but right now? Its up to him. I already called the new vet and introduced myself and his records are being sent to them, so they are aware of the situation.
MrG and I argued and both of us are exhausted but finally agreed he will not be left here. He needs to be put in the same box as Gracie. Period. So it shall be done...we just don't know when. That's up to Moki.

I feel a little better now knowing this.

Ha, I just checked my email and amazon sent me a message telling me my parcel is due on Friday and it's coming by mail. That means I can look out of the window and see the mailman. I am not answering the door to anyone else for the foreseeable future, and I am going to keep my eyes open when I go out to the shops in case someone is watching. But I wish I could legally own a gun. The only viable gun I can get is an antique percussion revolver, and you cannot get percussion nipples in England. Added to that they are difficult to load. You need a matching bullet mold to make a tight fitting ball, and if you don't seal the gunpowder down tightly enough the chambers can flash over from one to the next, and the gun will explode in your face and blow off your hand.
I would prefer a double barreled flintlock but they are very expensive. I would probably have to sell my gold coins to buy one.

:) It is a problem for sure. :)

My mind is working overtime on burglar defeating strategy's. I just searched 30 pages of alarm systems on amazon looking for a siren I can set off with a switch, but I did not find anything suitable yet.

Could I recommend a safety deposit box at the bank for your gold sovereigns? I assume British banks have them. They are really cheap over here--much more so than an alarm system would be.

Normally have my money hidden in a cash box that would be hard to find. But if someone with a gun comes to my door and gets in I not want to have to give them the cash box because then they would get everything. So I will keep some in a bag to give to the gunman and the rest hidden in my box. I do not see myself getting a bank deposit box as that would slowly eat some money in rental.

Whatever works for you, but that rental might be worth the price for peace of mind if you really believe you are at higher risk having all that gold on premises. An effective alarm system will probably cost you more than rental for many years of a bank box. But again, whatever works for you. We all have our own comfort level in how we arrange our lives.
My comfort level includes the possibility of any invader/robber succumbing to a dose of lead poisoning, administered via .44 revolver. I might end up with another barking burglar alarm, though.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more sure I am that someone is after my gold. I got it delivered on Monday, and I have had someone knock on my door at 4am on Tuesday and Wednesday night. I don't think its a coincidence.
Too bad you don't have a cat. I secure small, valuable things like that under the kitty litter. Most people don't even think of digging around in poop/pee to find something worthwhile. It beats the freezer. Everyone puts the goodies in the freezer.
Not me. I have a huge back yard. That is my safety deposit box, lol. A really DEEP one and never in the same spot for too long. ;)

The hummingbird saga continues. It appears we have one broadtail and two rubies, the broadtail has taken over the feeder and will sit on the pole guarding it. One ruby will stay out of sight while the other flies in and hovers above the broadtail who then gives chase, when out of sight the second ruby will come in to feast. When the broadtail returns he give chase to the second ruby then the first ruby returns to feast. :lol:

When we lived up on the mountain we had several species of hummingbirds visiting our feeders. And while all could be territorial, the ruby throats were absolutely the most aggressive in guarding the feeder they staked out. The only defense we could give the others was multiple feeders. A single bird could not guard them all.
That doesn't stop them from trying. My daughter had hummingbird feeders out when she lived in TX and the tales she told were quite amusing.

Dajjal could get a recording of a large dog growling. Or...a click of a shotgun that is really loud. Better yet, let it be known in a casual way that the gold is in a safety deposit box in another town to any eavesdroppers.

If it were me and this happened two night in a row, I would be on the other side of my door saying "the next time you bang on my door, I will not answer...just a couple of holes in it from my firearm aimed just so".

I have been up since 4am because after some bastard knocked on my door I could not get back to sleep.

That has happen twice in two days? I would sure be looking out to see who is knocking on your door at that hour.

If I get the chance I will photograph them through the window, but the last two nights I was not quick enough to get out of bed.

I think a working CC TV system with recording facility would be expensive. I was looking at dummy cameras with a light, and I might get one of those as a deterrent.

What I had in mind was a cheap siren that I can set off with a switch, but I can't find one on amazon that does not need an alarm system to operate it. In the meantime I have a small personal attack alarm that might scare them off.

We have changed plans again. If moki is acting like he is right now....he goes with us ALIVE. If he begins to act differently...then he will go with us as ashes. He will not be left here. Gracie is in a heart shaped box. She is not in the ground. 3 furkids are under the tree but these last 4 I had did not know them. My cat did the same thing yours did but it took her a couple of months. Still...same thing. She is now with Gracie. Moki will be going eventually but right now? Its up to him. I already called the new vet and introduced myself and his records are being sent to them, so they are aware of the situation.
MrG and I argued and both of us are exhausted but finally agreed he will not be left here. He needs to be put in the same box as Gracie. Period. So it shall be done...we just don't know when. That's up to Moki.

I feel a little better now knowing this.
OLC will be "interred" as most of my cats. Each has a custom-made box provided with a can of food and some water. Each cat is wrapped in a favorite blankie and the boxes are hung high in a spruce tree, where the kitties can feel safe and stand watch. I am tempted to have OLC cremated and put her with Ichabod, one of my other extra-epic fur-kids. Dogs are buried, cats are placed in their tree, and the goats have a special place where they join their herd when their time comes. Me, I want to be cremated and my ashes spread over my garden.

I am not going to accommodate a dog. I would have to alter my entire life to fit around it. I will go the electronic route. Even if it means fitting an expensive alarm system with a panic button. At the moment I am trying to do it on the cheap. With just a siren.

Not me. I have a huge back yard. That is my safety deposit box, lol. A really DEEP one and never in the same spot for too long. ;)
Oooh! True dat. I have 200 acres and a backhoe...for real now. Not only a useful setup for securing valuables, but for those pesky intruders who mean no good...well, I'm sure you understand.:badgrin:

I am not going to accommodate a dog. I would have to alter my entire life to fit around it. I will go the electronic route. Even if it means fitting an expensive alarm system with a panic button. At the moment I am trying to do it on the cheap. With just a siren.
Gracie's idea about the recording of a dog might be suitable.

I think a working CC TV system with recording facility would be expensive. I was looking at dummy cameras with a light, and I might get one of those as a deterrent.

What I had in mind was a cheap siren that I can set off with a switch, but I can't find one on amazon that does not need an alarm system to operate it. In the meantime I have a small personal attack alarm that might scare them off.

Tape a note to the door: Dear 4am Knocker...knock it the fuck off or I'll knock your head off.:D Oh, and by the way, the police have been informed of your visits and are patrolling the area.:thup:

Tape a note to the door: Dear 4am Knocker...knock it the fuck off or I'll knock your head off.:D Oh, and by the way, the police have been informed of your visits and are patrolling the area.:thup:
Or "4am Knocker...you are being filmed. Smile!"

Would be robbers freak out if they see a camera. Or worse, CAN'T see it but know its there. Somewhere. :lol:

I my daughter last night to cry on her shoulder about OLC. As the conversation progressed, she began to describe a situation with her oldest daughter
Would be robbers freak out if they see a camera. Or worse, CAN'T see it but know its there. Somewhere. :lol:

I have an old video camera that does not work. I could stick it in the window.
It might help, surely can't hurt.

Forum List

Back