USMB Coffee Shop IV

Dostoevsky, I have read, I'm not familiar with Efremov (I'll have to look him up). Ayn Rand was a Soviet ex-pat, so I don't wonder she would be viewed somewhat differently here than in Russia. One difference is reflected in your observation the Rand's ideas are typical of liberals. Liberal/progressives here absolutely hate her because she promotes the achievement of the individual over the collective. And, yes, it would be something refreshing to find persons of high morals who could assume leadership. But we would still need the majority of other people to have high morals, as well.
Heinlein's earlier work was far more entertaining, later, he became a little "preachy". I don't mind. Many of his stories have played a great part in my own social and moral development. "Time Enough for Love" especially has had influence on my life philosophy.
Do you read James Michener? His book "The Drifters" is probably the biggest reason I joined the Army.

http://www.zaytsev.com/Efremov Andromeda.pdf - version on English. I've read it in an age of 7-8 years - it was a real awesome for me... But at first time I've read only chapters about space adventures, excluding Earth line :))) I think, it's a book, made my outlook maybe for all life, ad least from childhood till current days...

The Ayn Rand ideas about individual strength and responsibility are not unique. Communist ideologist tried to advance individual responsibility too - the main question of Russian revolution, divided Russian on red and white, in fact, sounded not "can the people be individualist" but "WHO can be individualist" (and as second - which responsibilities he must have :)). Maybe, I'm not so objective, because this revolution, in fact, not ended and "whites" want to replay history by all means, but I consider Ayn Rand as a part of "whites", which think, no one, except nobles, can be "free and individualistic". She don't speak about it directly, but I'm in "red" team, considering "anyone can be strong and individualistic, regardles of in which family he was born". But, offcourse, every people is responsible in the face of society and must not conflict with collective "because he is noble and have rights to do it" :)

About Heinlein - I've read a lot of his books. "History of future" - a lot of novels. "Space Patrol", some novels from Moon cycle, a several stories for children... And about Lazarus Long - from Methuselah's Children to "Sail Beyond The Sunset" (the last I'm reading now, by several pages in e-version :)))
About Michener - I didn't knew about them till this moment, but it seems to be interesting... I'll try to find "Drifters" :)
Some of Michener's books are...descriptive to a fault. Both "Hawaii" and "Alaska" start with the birth of the land and move on from there. Ernest Hemingway was another author who was really very descriptive. I've read some of his stories in English, German, and Russian. All are great ways to build vocabulary.

It seems, Michener not so popular here... I've found only novel "Source" in e-shops - do you recommend it to read? :) Ernest Hemingway is good and popular in Russia. What can you say about Umberto Eco? Do you like books about Medieval and Renaissance history?

I do.
I read Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose about 20 years back or so in the 90's.
It was a pretty good mystery & history book, from what I can remember. :)

Have you read others books of Eco? For example - "The island of the day before" - another good mystery for baroque epoch...

Sorry, I haven't read any more by him, just that one.

I was a Boy Scout and a good one. I did not earn the Eagle rank, but I was in the Order of the Arrow. OA, as it is known, is the society for Honor Campers, boys who were avid campers.

Initiation into the OA involves something called Tap Out. That happened on the last night of the summer camp week. Our camp was on the shores of Leesville Lake, one of the Muskingum Watershed lakes built by the WPA during the Great Depression and nestled in the rolling hills of east central Ohio. Leesville Lake had a restricted motorboat horsepower of 9.9 so there were small sailboats and canoes plying the tranquil waters.

On the last night during our nightly campfire confabs, members of the OA would paddle aluminum canoes across the lake. They were illuminated by torches made from broomsticks with a coffee can containing a roll of kerosene soaked toilet paper. The OA members were clad in buckskins and slathered with 'war paint'. They landed the canoes on the bank of the lake within sight of the roaring campfire.

All the campers were assembled in a semi circle as the imposing older boys took their spot in the center. Then silently the older OA scouts would walk around the semi circle of nervous younger scouts. When they came upon a prospect (usually three or four out of the 70 to 90 campers) they would pause, face the now terrified young prospect, and tap them on the shoulder three times.

Now I used the word 'tap'. These were not the tap a wife might give a husband as he grumbled through dinner conversation. These were not taps a stranger might apply when seeking one's attention. No. These were taps given by a larger, older intimidating boy to a smaller, more impressionable one. Smacks, slugs, hits that might dislocate a shoulder would be more appropriate.

My 'taps' were given to me by Donnie Raber who would go on to be named All State in high school wrestling in the heavy weight division. Forty eight years later and I still remember the impact of his massive paws on my shoulder.

I rose through the ranks of the Order of the Arrow finally achieving the rank of Vigil, the highest rank in that group.

During the Vigil ceremony, one must take to the woods alone, build and maintain a campfire all through the night until you are retrieved to obtain your sash and Vigil Lene Lenape Indian name. Mine was Kaak. That means 'wild goose'.

For the next few years, until high school activities (read 'girls') took my attention, I was very active in the OA. During Vigil ceremonies, current Vigil rank members would approach the Vigil candidate's campfires throughout the night. We would make sure that their fires were burning and they were still awake. Hiding in the shadows, we would read motivational passages to the candidate, calling them out by first name.

One of my candidates was actually a Scout master from another troop. His name was Bernard Casto.

"Bernard" I began "I too have kept the Vigil!"

It was the first time I had ever called an adult by his first name. I'm quite sure that I was more impressed by the circumstance than he was.

Last edited:
My ridiculous communications class continues to be horribly put together.

We supposedly fail the class if we fail to do any of the assigned speeches. We have a speech due on Thursday which requires us to have an audience of at least 5. I've explained to my teacher that, with my lack of a social life, getting a 5 person audience is difficult for me. We are required to record the speeches through a website linked on the class website. I've asked when that will be available, but received no answer. Now it is Tuesday afternoon, and that recording section is still unavailable. I have a hard time getting 5 people together, particularly 5 adults, but I've been given no time frame in which to try to plan getting those people together.....other than before midnight Thursday.

If I don't do the assignment, I will supposedly fail the class. However, I am being given very little time in which to do the assignment, and the assignment requires the involvement of outside people. If it were a matter of doing a speech recording by myself, while it would still be quite annoying, at least I'd know I could get it done. People have their own lives and schedules, however, and not knowing when I can record the speech means I'm not sure how many people I can have in an audience.

I'll record and turn in the speech, even if I have to do it with an audience of just my employer, her boyfriend, and the little one, to avoid any automatic failure. I think this class is a steaming pile of bullshit, though. It's going to get from me exactly the effort that seems to have been put into it......the absolute minimum I can get away with. My ambition in the class is to get a C with as little work as I can do.

Do a skype or podcast and invite 5 people from usmb to listen to your speech and give feedback as proof you had 5 people.

That wouldn't work with the rules of the assignment, but thanks for the idea. :)

We supposedly fail the class if we fail to do any of the assigned speeches. We have a speech due on Thursday which requires us to have an audience of at least 5. I've explained to my teacher that, with my lack of a social life, getting a 5 person audience is difficult for me. We are required to record the speeches through a website linked on the class website. I've asked when that will be available, but received no answer. Now it is Tuesday afternoon, and that recording section is still unavailable. I have a hard time getting 5 people together, particularly 5 adults, but I've been given no time frame in which to try to plan getting those people together.....other than before midnight Thursday.

If I don't do the assignment, I will supposedly fail the class. However, I am being given very little time in which to do the assignment, and the assignment requires the involvement of outside people. If it were a matter of doing a speech recording by myself, while it would still be quite annoying, at least I'd know I could get it done. People have their own lives and schedules, however, and not knowing when I can record the speech means I'm not sure how many people I can have in an audience.

I'll record and turn in the speech, even if I have to do it with an audience of just my employer, her boyfriend, and the little one, to avoid any automatic failure. I think this class is a steaming pile of bullshit, though. It's going to get from me exactly the effort that seems to have been put into it......the absolute minimum I can get away with. My ambition in the class is to get a C with as little work as I can do.

No neighbors you can invite over for a coke and a quick listen to help you out? Maybe your employer or her boyfriend have a couple of friends they could invite? Or how about a couple of the little one's friends to fill in. If they don't specify what age the audience has to be, well a person is a person at any age. :) And the skype idea isn't a bad one either. You could get your mom in on it or any number of folks.

Started Monday on a Bluestone patio project. I almost have all the plant material removed and grading complete on the 26 x 25 area. All by hand in 90 degree weather. Wednesday I will complete the grading by bringing some fill dirt and do some compacting. My middle daughter was here last week and the youngest will be here in another day or two. Super busy with all that and hiring an attorney to sue my prior employer. My last two checks are being held hostage. He wants me to sign papers, which I can only conclude absolve him of wrong doing. Not happening.

Have fun with family and good luck on your law suit.

Started Monday on a Bluestone patio project. I almost have all the plant material removed and grading complete on the 26 x 25 area. All by hand in 90 degree weather. Wednesday I will complete the grading by bringing some fill dirt and do some compacting. My middle daughter was here last week and the youngest will be here in another day or two. Super busy with all that and hiring an attorney to sue my prior employer. My last two checks are being held hostage. He wants me to sign papers, which I can only conclude absolve him of wrong doing. Not happening.
Can't hold checks as hostage for any reason. Sue the fuck out of him. And make sure your lawyer has HIM pay the fees your attorney will want..AND turn him in to the labor commissioner. Illegal as fuck, that is.

But glad you are keeping busy with the landscaping. Would love to see final pics of your work.

Meanwhile...here it is 80+ degrees and day before yesterday, it was hailing ice. :cool-45:

No neighbors you can invite over for a coke and a quick listen to help you out? Maybe your employer or her boyfriend have a couple of friends they could invite? Or how about a couple of the little one's friends to fill in. If they don't specify what age the audience has to be, well a person is a person at any age. :) And the skype idea isn't a bad one either. You could get your mom in on it or any number of folks.

I wouldn't be able to record the audience using Skype, and I have to do that to start my recording.

I don't know my neighbors. The next door neighbors that I was friendly with moved a little over a year ago.

My audience will be as big as I can get it without having to do anything excessive. If I get 5, great. If I don't, the teacher can pretty much kiss my ass. If she can't even give a window of time that I'll be able to record in, she can be happy with however many people I'm able to get on short notice. :p

It's a pointless class, anyway, but I wish it were being run professionally.

Can't hold checks as hostage for any reason. Sue the fuck out of him. And make sure your lawyer has HIM pay the fees your attorney will want..AND turn him in to the labor commissioner. Illegal as fuck, that is.

But glad you are keeping busy with the landscaping. Would love to see final pics of your work.

Meanwhile...here it is 80+ degrees and day before yesterday, it was hailing ice. :cool-45:

It will probably be the end of next week at the earliest for pictures. The customers are on vacation in Scotland and I need the second installment of materials money to get the stone.

Unless you signed a contract specifying that you would sign papers at the conclusion of your employment or that you would give X days/weeks/months notice, you owe him nothing. And if you have to sue to get your pay, be sure your attorney sues for enough to cover his time and expense too. The fact that he arbitrarily decided to pay you less than you agreed to work for won't look good to a judge.

Maybe you can get your case heard in front of Judge Judy?

Yeah I really am this bored.
Riverdancing-monkeys.gif

For the last year, Pogo Games has been running tournaments involving teams of five members each that compete against hundreds of other teams. The top 10% get gold ribbons at the end of each two-week tourney, the next 10% get silver, the next 10% get bronze. You play up to nine not all that challenging games to win up to nine ribbons for each game. You don't get anything for the ribbons--they aren't worth anything--you just accumulate them.

Would you believe people take it so seriously that I've been thrown off three teams recently because I'm not playing enough to please the team captain? How seriously do people take playing rather mindless games to win worthless ribbons?

Oh well. I play for fun and the cutthroat teams aren't having any fun that I can see.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Hossfly's knee surgery,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel,
Foxfyre & Hombre's foster dog Carly for wellness,
Dana!!!! (Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant.)
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, 007, and all others we hope will return.

The river cuts through rock not by its strength, but by its persistance.
River-Bend-Paria-Canyon.jpg

For the last year, Pogo Games has been running tournaments involving teams of five members each that compete against hundreds of other teams. The top 10% get gold ribbons at the end of each two-week tourney, the next 10% get silver, the next 10% get bronze. You play up to nine not all that challenging games to win up to nine ribbons for each game. You don't get anything for the ribbons--they aren't worth anything--you just accumulate them.

Would you believe people take it so seriously that I've been thrown off three teams recently because I'm not playing enough to please the team captain? How seriously do people take playing rather mindless games to win worthless ribbons?

Oh well. I play for fun and the cutthroat teams aren't having any fun that I can see.

Lol! That is so funny! Yep, people are petty and silly and even ridiculous.

http://www.zaytsev.com/Efremov Andromeda.pdf - version on English. I've read it in an age of 7-8 years - it was a real awesome for me... But at first time I've read only chapters about space adventures, excluding Earth line :))) I think, it's a book, made my outlook maybe for all life, ad least from childhood till current days...

The Ayn Rand ideas about individual strength and responsibility are not unique. Communist ideologist tried to advance individual responsibility too - the main question of Russian revolution, divided Russian on red and white, in fact, sounded not "can the people be individualist" but "WHO can be individualist" (and as second - which responsibilities he must have :)). Maybe, I'm not so objective, because this revolution, in fact, not ended and "whites" want to replay history by all means, but I consider Ayn Rand as a part of "whites", which think, no one, except nobles, can be "free and individualistic". She don't speak about it directly, but I'm in "red" team, considering "anyone can be strong and individualistic, regardles of in which family he was born". But, offcourse, every people is responsible in the face of society and must not conflict with collective "because he is noble and have rights to do it" :)

About Heinlein - I've read a lot of his books. "History of future" - a lot of novels. "Space Patrol", some novels from Moon cycle, a several stories for children... And about Lazarus Long - from Methuselah's Children to "Sail Beyond The Sunset" (the last I'm reading now, by several pages in e-version :)))
About Michener - I didn't knew about them till this moment, but it seems to be interesting... I'll try to find "Drifters" :)
Some of Michener's books are...descriptive to a fault. Both "Hawaii" and "Alaska" start with the birth of the land and move on from there. Ernest Hemingway was another author who was really very descriptive. I've read some of his stories in English, German, and Russian. All are great ways to build vocabulary.

It seems, Michener not so popular here... I've found only novel "Source" in e-shops - do you recommend it to read? :) Ernest Hemingway is good and popular in Russia. What can you say about Umberto Eco? Do you like books about Medieval and Renaissance history?

I do.
I read Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose about 20 years back or so in the 90's.

Have you read others books of Eco? For example - "The island of the day before" - another good mystery for baroque epoch...

"The name of Rose" is very good book. Eco compiled a lot parts of it from real medieval books, so it's seems like another one. And also, he had a manner to write about medieval times like it happen now and here. I like it. Especially, positioning the tiime of book in real history, when the 14th century only begins, with Switz warriors, total plague, but already with Templiers burned...

Lol! That is so funny! Yep, people are petty and silly and even ridiculous.

The only reason I am looking for a team is I caught my team captain and at least one other on my old team playing with robots. They actually purchase programs that will play the game for them! Of course that is completely unfair to those who actually are playing for fun while competing. Plus I do this for fun so I want to play with people who enjoy joking and chatting as well as having a competetive spirit.

I do.

"The name of Rose" is very good book. Eco compiled a lot parts of it from real medieval books, so it's seems like another one. And also, he had a manner to write about medieval times like it happen now and here. I like it. Especially, positioning the tiime of book in real history, when the 14th century only begins, with Switz warriors, total plague, but already with Templiers burned...

Do you enjoy medieval fantasy such as Tolkien writes? David Eddings, together with his wife, wrote some of my favorites.

Unfortunately all multi player games are like that, those who live for the game, those who's competitive spirit means they will do anything (including cheat) to win, those who who cheat simply to disrupt the game (power and control) and the rest of us who do it just for fun and relaxation.

I do.

Do you enjoy medieval fantasy such as Tolkien writes? David Eddings, together with his wife, wrote some of my favorites.

I read the Belgariad books many years ago and thought they were just kind of meh. I've thought about reading them again and seeing if my opinion is any different, but have not done so yet.

I do.

Oh, offcourse, yes! Swords, magic and so on... But it's strange - I've never heared about David Eddings before. I read many fantasy cycles, from Tolkien and Howard to Martin ( :))), but, I think, I have to try Eddings... Like Michener, he is not famous on Russian...

I like both fantasy and Sci-Fi because of many unusual ideas of social interaction in different books :) Our world is not single, at least in our dreams... Do you believe in aliens?

Forum List

Back