USMB Coffee Shop IV

I like Ayn Rand very much. She celebrated the individual and condemned government interference in free development of talent, skills, resources, and industry. Objectivisim places the responsibility for each person's success, or failure, in their own hands. Unfortunately, she proved all-to-prophetic in her depiction of how government interference would affect social development.
I also really like Robert Heinlein. Have you read much Heinlein?

I do love Robert Heinlein and have read much of his books (and periodically re-read ;))) Objectivism is not a single idea, claimed a responsibility of persons for own success. But opposition of "creative" person to society is not a good idea. It's interesting, how different Ayn Rand percieved in US and in Russia, but as a raiser of question "How much each person could do against society" she's not alone, there are a lot of authors, from Dostoevsky to Efremov, raised the same problem...
At my sight, ideas of Ayn Rand - typical ideas of liberals, who lose the revolution and country 100 years ago... History showed, communism, as ideology, was more progressive... and, ironically, got the main problem of Ayn Rand's ideology at the end. It's not a bad idea, some "atlants" could rule of people progress, according with their high morals. The main problem - WHERE we can find people with such high morals, enough for successful rule of our sophisticated world? :)

P.S. Oldman Heinlein knew the construction of US society very good... But it's interesting to read, how he tried to apply his knowledges to Moscow life, organized by different principles :)))))

Interesting to find another Heinlein fan in the Coffee Shop. I think I first read one of his "juveniles" when i was in sixth grade...something called Farmer in the Sky. I have probably read twenty or thirty of his books since. There is probably no one who has contributed more to my overall moral development than Heinlein. My favorite is Time Enough For Love. The aphorisms in the interludes are priceless. I can quote many of them from memory.

Ex: Never appeal to a man's "better nature." He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.

A woman is not property. Any man who thinks otherwise is living in a dream world.

In a mature society "civil servant" is semantically equal to "civil master."

There is a excellent biography of Heinlein out there. The man was a true American Hero. He graduated from the Naval Academy and served with distinction until he contracted TB. He was a engineer during the Second World War working on munitions for the war effort.

I would characterize him as a Libertarian with a strong humanistic streak. A great man imho. The biography I mentioned.

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg
I've used several Heinlein quotes in my signature line while in the USMB. Like you, his works played a large part in my philosophical development. He got a little preachy towards the end, but his stories were still always worth reading.

I agree, some of his latter day books were a bit on the preachy side. But still, his humanism always came through for me. I really liked Job: A Comedy of Justice, The Cat Who Walked Through Walls and Friday among his later books.

My personal favorites are Time Enough for Love, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Glory Road, Farnham's Freehold, and Starship Troopers.

I have joked to my stepson that Heinlein was like Lt. Dan from Forest Gump. His family served in every war in American History...from the American Revolution up through Vietnam. His brother was a Major General in the Army. Reading his biography...his biggest disappointment was not being able to serve his full hitch as a Naval Officer. It crushed him and he turned to writing as a last resort. I think he would have liked nothing better than to die gloriously for his Country. I am so glad I read the definitive biography that was authorized by his wife. A very good man imho.

Reading books, it seems Heinlein much more positive, than Lt. Dan :) But now I understand his ideas from "Starship Troopers". Btw, movie by Verhoeven is also very fine. It's interesting to read Heinlein (and watch Verhoeven) about US army and compare it with info we've got at War Faculty :)
Personally, I always appreciated how military service and voting/citizen rights corresponded in Heinlein's "Starship Troopers". Those who vote should have more skin in the game than their welfare checks? But, I suppose government assistance is totally different where you are?

I do love Robert Heinlein and have read much of his books (and periodically re-read ;))) Objectivism is not a single idea, claimed a responsibility of persons for own success. But opposition of "creative" person to society is not a good idea. It's interesting, how different Ayn Rand percieved in US and in Russia, but as a raiser of question "How much each person could do against society" she's not alone, there are a lot of authors, from Dostoevsky to Efremov, raised the same problem...
At my sight, ideas of Ayn Rand - typical ideas of liberals, who lose the revolution and country 100 years ago... History showed, communism, as ideology, was more progressive... and, ironically, got the main problem of Ayn Rand's ideology at the end. It's not a bad idea, some "atlants" could rule of people progress, according with their high morals. The main problem - WHERE we can find people with such high morals, enough for successful rule of our sophisticated world? :)

P.S. Oldman Heinlein knew the construction of US society very good... But it's interesting to read, how he tried to apply his knowledges to Moscow life, organized by different principles :)))))

Interesting to find another Heinlein fan in the Coffee Shop. I think I first read one of his "juveniles" when i was in sixth grade...something called Farmer in the Sky. I have probably read twenty or thirty of his books since. There is probably no one who has contributed more to my overall moral development than Heinlein. My favorite is Time Enough For Love. The aphorisms in the interludes are priceless. I can quote many of them from memory.

Ex: Never appeal to a man's "better nature." He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.

A woman is not property. Any man who thinks otherwise is living in a dream world.

There is a excellent biography of Heinlein out there. The man was a true American Hero. He graduated from the Naval Academy and served with distinction until he contracted TB. He was a engineer during the Second World War working on munitions for the war effort.

I would characterize him as a Libertarian with a strong humanistic streak. A great man imho. The biography I mentioned.

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg
I've used several Heinlein quotes in my signature line while in the USMB. Like you, his works played a large part in my philosophical development. He got a little preachy towards the end, but his stories were still always worth reading.

I agree, some of his latter day books were a bit on the preachy side. But still, his humanism always came through for me. I really liked Job: A Comedy of Justice, The Cat Who Walked Through Walls and Friday among his later books.

My personal favorites are Time Enough for Love, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Glory Road, Farnham's Freehold, and Starship Troopers.

I have joked to my stepson that Heinlein was like Lt. Dan from Forest Gump. His family served in every war in American History...from the American Revolution up through Vietnam. His brother was a Major General in the Army. Reading his biography...his biggest disappointment was not being able to serve his full hitch as a Naval Officer. It crushed him and he turned to writing as a last resort. I think he would have liked nothing better than to die gloriously for his Country. I am so glad I read the definitive biography that was authorized by his wife. A very good man imho.

Reading books, it seems Heinlein much more positive, than Lt. Dan :) But now I understand his ideas from "Starship Troopers". Btw, movie by Verhoeven is also very fine. It's interesting to read Heinlein (and watch Verhoeven) about US army and compare it with info we've got at War Faculty :)
Personally, I always appreciated how military service and voting/citizen rights corresponded in Heinlein's "Starship Troopers". Those who vote should have more skin in the game than their welfare checks? But, I suppose government assistance is totally different where you are?

I know it is difficult to do when discussing books with social/government themes, but be careful about not getting into those controversial kinds of topics guys. I had to discipline myself on that count a couple of days ago. :)

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg

I agree with you. I think his point was you do have to have skin in the game to have an effective Government, and their is honor in true Government service.

Vets like Hossfly I have tremendous respect for. Ditto Cops....ER Doctors....Nurses....and Teachers....EMT's. I worked for many years in a big inner city ER. You don't have those folks and society completely falls apart.

That's a fact. :)

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg

I know it is difficult to do when discussing books with social/government themes, but be careful about not getting into those controversial kinds of topics guys. I had to discipline myself on that count a couple of days ago. :)

Who........me? :)

tumblr_ntnrklnrlr1ql5yr7o1_r1_500.gif

I hated the Starship Troopers movie. It had next to nothing to do with the book, which I enjoyed. :)

Yes, the movie and the book are two different novels with the same name and, maybe, some similar ideas and actors. But both are good, if you don't consider them as related )

Even completely unrelated to the book, I think the movie is terrible. :p

Just because you have a stereotypes :afro:

Well, I stereotype poorly written, poorly acted movies. :lol:

It rained yesterday. Came down in buckets. No lightening or thunder, but a righteous rain none the less. Is there any aroma more satisfying than the air after a downpour? So I took advantage of that wonderful smell and opened all the windows in the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate and let the air waft in.

Then it began to rain again at 1:00in the morning. I ran from window to window turning cranks and lowering sashes. Then I was wide awake trying to resume my dreams. Is there anything more frustrating than interrupting a sound sleep?

Some folks say they count imaginary sheep bounding over a low stone wall. That never works and should be consigned to the file of cute but useless things.

I do a mental word play. What I do is take a word at random and work out all the cliches and possible definitions associated with that word. Last night my word was "seven".

From Dwarfs to the Seven Seas to T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom. From the seventh inning stretch to the seven deadly sins my mind came up with sevens. Mickey Mantle's Yankee number and Ben Roethlesberger's Steelers number. A lemon lime clear soda pop and a magnificent group of hired guns defending a Mexican village all bubbled up in my word play. By 1:45, I drifted back to sleep.

Last edited:
It rained yesterday. Came down in buckets. No lightening or thunder, but a righteous rain none the less. Is there any aroma more satisfying than the air after a downpour? So I took advantage of that wonderful smell and opened all the windows in the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate and let the air waft in.

Then ismbegan to rain again at 1:00in the morning. I ran from window to window turning cranks and lowering sashes. Then I was wide awake trying to resume my dreams. Is there anything more frustrating than interrupting a sound sleep?

Some folks say they count imaginary sheep bounding over a low stone wall. That never works and should be consigned to the file of cute but useless things.

I do a mental word play. What I do is take a word at random and work out all the cliches and possible definitions associated with that word. Last night my word was "seven".

From Dwarfs to the Seven Seas to T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom. From the seventh inning stretch to the seven deadly sins my mind came up with sevens. Mickey Mantle's Yankee number and Ben Roethlesberger's Steelers number. A lemon lime clear soda pop and a magnificent group of hired guns defending a Mexican village all bubbled up in my word play. By 1:45, I drifted back to sleep.

:) The first thing that would have come to my mind, after 7-up anyway, would have been lucky 7 at the race track or casino. And that would have been so mentally stimulating I probably would have gotten back to sleep so quickly.

Literally been on the phone all morning........ Before we left El Paso I put in a change of address with USPS effective the 29th of May, at least a week and a half ago I contacted the VA (national) and changed my address, the next day after confirming my new address was changed I went online and ordered prescription refills......... So far they have not arrived so I went back online to track the delivery...... Delivered on the 16th...... at my old address.......
Called El Paso VA pharmacy, "oh you have to change your address directly with us".... Excuse me??!! Well after nearly one hour on hold I talked to USPS, change of address order confirmed, were the packages forwarded, no they were not....... USPS carrier screwed up, nor surprising with the shitty mail service we had down there. Misdelivery inquiry started, at least two to three days before I hear back and I took my last doses today. Have a message into my PCP in El Paso to forward the prescription orders (if possible) to Albuquerque or immediately ship out replacement prescriptions to my new address, waiting for them to call back.
And here I thought I had all my bases covered..........

Then it began to rain again at 1:00in the morning. I ran from window to window turning cranks and lowering sashes. Then I was wide awake trying to resume my dreams. Is there anything more frustrating than interrupting a sound sleep?

I let my mind wander into fantasy realms, no not sexual, I'd never get to sleep that way....... :lol:

Literally been on the phone all morning........ Before we left El Paso I put in a change of address with USPS effective the 29th of May, at least a week and a half ago I contacted the VA (national) and changed my address, the next day after confirming my new address was changed I went online and ordered prescription refills......... So far they have not arrived so I went back online to track the delivery...... Delivered on the 16th...... at my old address.......
Called El Paso VA pharmacy, "oh you have to change your address directly with us".... Excuse me??!! Well after nearly one hour on hold I talked to USPS, change of address order confirmed, were the packages forwarded, no they were not....... USPS carrier screwed up, nor surprising with the shitty mail service we had down there. Misdelivery inquiry started, at least two to three days before I hear back and I took my last doses today. Have a message into my PCP in El Paso to forward the prescription orders (if possible) to Albuquerque or immediately ship out replacement prescriptions to my new address, waiting for them to call back.

:( You were probably more cordial to everybody than I would have been.

I have been spending my time the last few days trying to get things straightened out for Aunt Betty--she'll be 91 in September--who lost Uncle Ed last September. She had left the bank account in both their names until last week when she advised the bank to take his name off the account and leave hers on. She didn't tell me she had done that, however and the bank didn't tell her what would happen with their on line banking.

So then I get into to the account to pay a bill for her--she hasn't wanted to learn how to do that herself--and all I see is a relatively small money market CD--no checking account - no savings account both of which had a substantial amount of cash. I panicked thinking somebody had cleaned her out. After about 10 transfers on the phone at the bank somebody finally said that they took everything out of the on line banking that related to Ed.

That meant I had to completely set up the on line banking for her and re-enter every dang payment that we pay on line. Could they have told her that would happen when she made the change so it wouldn't scare us half to death?

I officially hate
banks.
Post offices.
Insurance companies.
And the health care system.
And the MVD and state rules for getting a driver's license now.
And most other government services.

So there!

Harumph.

I agree FF, and Ringel, I am having similar problems. More with my stupid bank. I took care of every single thing prior to moving. THEN have talked with them numerous times. WHERE is my new ATM card??? grrr

I've got my second A&P exam on Thursday. I'm feeling pretty good about it. It's always a bit iffy as to what questions will be on the test, but based on what the instructor has told us will be there, I'm remembering well, and I'm getting nearly all of the questions on the practice quizzes correct.
Sunday is my second algebra proctored exam. I took 2 quizzes in the past couple of days, and other than a couple of problems with the form of the answers, I did well. There's a review exam again, so I'll go over that after I'm done with the A&P exam.

We have another ridiculous assignment for my communications class. The first part asks us to look at some pictures of random people, basically just headshots, and decide things about them; are they business owners or employees, what kind of doctor are they, what kind of teacher are they. I sent the teacher an email asking if she wants me to just make wild guesses, because the pictures give almost no information about the people and there is no context to the pictures, so I don't think I can make any sort of reasonable guess or assumption about the people in them. I think this is suppose to show us how often we make assumptions about others based on small amounts of information, but unless those assumptions are based on age, gender, or race, I don't see how I can. I'll just make some shit up if I have to, but I find this kind of assignment annoying.

Still no grade for the speech I had issues with from last week. I'll have to wait to see if I passed. :p

I've got my second A&P exam on Thursday. I'm feeling pretty good about it. It's always a bit iffy as to what questions will be on the test, but based on what the instructor has told us will be there, I'm remembering well, and I'm getting nearly all of the questions on the practice quizzes correct.
Sunday is my second algebra proctored exam. I took 2 quizzes in the past couple of days, and other than a couple of problems with the form of the answers, I did well. There's a review exam again, so I'll go over that after I'm done with the A&P exam.

We have another ridiculous assignment for my communications class. The first part asks us to look at some pictures of random people, basically just headshots, and decide things about them; are they business owners or employees, what kind of doctor are they, what kind of teacher are they. I sent the teacher an email asking if she wants me to just make wild guesses, because the pictures give almost no information about the people and there is no context to the pictures, so I don't think I can make any sort of reasonable guess or assumption about the people in them. I think this is suppose to show us how often we make assumptions about others based on small amounts of information, but unless those assumptions are based on age, gender, or race, I don't see how I can. I'll just make some shit up if I have to, but I find this kind of assignment annoying.

Still no grade for the speech I had issues with from last week. I'll have to wait to see if I passed. :p

I can see no purpose in the assignment actually. It almost forces you to make assumptions for which you have inadequate information.

But, unfortunately, probably all of us who have been to college had at least one or two classes we considered a colossal waste of time and yeah, you just bs your way through them to get the grade. I remember one class entitled "personal adjustment" that to this day I don't know what it was supposed to teach us. We would get things on tests like "which professor wears the tallest hat?" or "which dormitory on campus has the most people in it?". It was required for the core curriculum.

It is 97 degrees at this hour in Albuquerque, and the next three days we are supposed to have 100 degree temps for the next 3 or 4 days--maybe 103 on Thursday which would be the hottest day Albuquerque has had since we moved here 30+ years ago. More than one or two 100 degree days is really unusual for us.

It is shaping up to be our hottest week of the summer, with temps falling back a bit after this week and what looks like a pleasant July, August, and September in the forecast. So I guess we can swelter for one week.

:( You were probably more cordial to everybody than I would have been.

I have been spending my time the last few days trying to get things straightened out for Aunt Betty--she'll be 91 in September--who lost Uncle Ed last September. She had left the bank account in both their names until last week when she advised the bank to take his name off the account and leave hers on. She didn't tell me she had done that, however and the bank didn't tell her what would happen with their on line banking.

So then I get into to the account to pay a bill for her--she hasn't wanted to learn how to do that herself--and all I see is a relatively small money market CD--no checking account - no savings account both of which had a substantial amount of cash. I panicked thinking somebody had cleaned her out. After about 10 transfers on the phone at the bank somebody finally said that they took everything out of the on line banking that related to Ed.

That meant I had to completely set up the on line banking for her and re-enter every dang payment that we pay on line. Could they have told her that would happen when she made the change so it wouldn't scare us half to death?

I officially hate
banks.
Post offices.
Insurance companies.
And the health care system.
And the MVD and state rules for getting a driver's license now.
And most other government services.

So there!

Harumph.
The wife has all the banking info including login info so no problem there if something were to happen to me. I have no automatic payments, had problems with that on two occasions in the past with the payments not being canceled when I switched banks even though I turned them off. All the late fees were ultimately credited back to me when the bank realized the mistake was theirs but that was after three days on the phone and emailing the document proof I had proving I stopped all automatic payments. (That's why I print out everything financial related).

Forum List

Back