USMB Coffee Shop IV

Yes, usually at this schedule. With some Saturdays, if it needs...

P.S. Hmm, I don't like Ayn Rand so much, but as I see - she's a wonderful source of citations! :)
I like Ayn Rand very much. She celebrated the individual and condemned government interference in free development of talent, skills, resources, and industry. Objectivisim places the responsibility for each person's success, or failure, in their own hands. Unfortunately, she proved all-to-prophetic in her depiction of how government interference would affect social development.
I also really like Robert Heinlein. Have you read much Heinlein?

I do love Robert Heinlein and have read much of his books (and periodically re-read ;))) Objectivism is not a single idea, claimed a responsibility of persons for own success. But opposition of "creative" person to society is not a good idea. It's interesting, how different Ayn Rand percieved in US and in Russia, but as a raiser of question "How much each person could do against society" she's not alone, there are a lot of authors, from Dostoevsky to Efremov, raised the same problem...
At my sight, ideas of Ayn Rand - typical ideas of liberals, who lose the revolution and country 100 years ago... History showed, communism, as ideology, was more progressive... and, ironically, got the main problem of Ayn Rand's ideology at the end. It's not a bad idea, some "atlants" could rule of people progress, according with their high morals. The main problem - WHERE we can find people with such high morals, enough for successful rule of our sophisticated world? :)

P.S. Oldman Heinlein knew the construction of US society very good... But it's interesting to read, how he tried to apply his knowledges to Moscow life, organized by different principles :)))))

Interesting to find another Heinlein fan in the Coffee Shop. I think I first read one of his "juveniles" when i was in sixth grade...something called Farmer in the Sky. I have probably read twenty or thirty of his books since. There is probably no one who has contributed more to my overall moral development than Heinlein. My favorite is Time Enough For Love. The aphorisms in the interludes are priceless. I can quote many of them from memory.

Ex: Never appeal to a man's "better nature." He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.

A woman is not property. Any man who thinks otherwise is living in a dream world.

In a mature society "civil servant" is semantically equal to "civil master."

There is a excellent biography of Heinlein out there. The man was a true American Hero. He graduated from the Naval Academy and served with distinction until he contracted TB. He was a engineer during the Second World War working on munitions for the war effort.

I would characterize him as a Libertarian with a strong humanistic streak. A great man imho. The biography I mentioned.

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg
I've used several Heinlein quotes in my signature line while in the USMB. Like you, his works played a large part in my philosophical development. He got a little preachy towards the end, but his stories were still always worth reading.

I agree, some of his latter day books were a bit on the preachy side. But still, his humanism always came through for me. I really liked Job: A Comedy of Justice, The Cat Who Walked Through Walls and Friday among his later books.

My personal favorites are Time Enough for Love, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Glory Road, Farnham's Freehold, and Starship Troopers.

I have joked to my stepson that Heinlein was like Lt. Dan from Forest Gump. His family served in every war in American History...from the American Revolution up through Vietnam. His brother was a Major General in the Army. Reading his biography...his biggest disappointment was not being able to serve his full hitch as a Naval Officer. It crushed him and he turned to writing as a last resort. I think he would have liked nothing better than to die gloriously for his Country. I am so glad I read the definitive biography that was authorized by his wife. A very good man imho.
Love all those books, but don't forget "Beyond This Horizon". That story included one of my most favoritist quotes of all time:
“An armed society is a polite society. (Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.)"

I'm officially peed!
In Alabama, the last drink is served at 1:59:59, but customers are welcome to stay until staff really wants to go home. Bet laid plans and all,sometimes staff want a cocktail after work and once customers are out on a busy night, outside lights go out, doors are locked and the party resumes. So, after I left at 4, the staff was cleaning and drinking and around 6 eveything was done except the deposit and 2 bartenders, one male and one female left together. The woman was buzzed, probably over the legal limit, but most people in this business can still function quite well at a .16. The guy doesn't show his level unless you really know what to look for up to a point, but his license is suspended for a DUI.
He's kind of macho behind 10 beers so he convinces he should drive. Well half way home (they're room mates only) the guy turns off the headlight by mistake and gets pulled over.
Instant DUI and driving while suspended. Police ask the woman if they can search the car and since she had nothing to hide, OKs the search so she can get home and get some sleep. They found a bag of pot in his back pack..
I don't use the stuff, but I really don't care if anyone else does, but bring it or any other illegal drug into my bar, and you are gone for life. The SOB had pot, in his back pack, behind my bar, all friggin night. They put a 12 hour hold on him, so he gets out at 7. I'm about to go bail him out but I can't decide what to do first: Do I shoot him or fire him?I'm about certain I will do both, so if I turn up missing, send bail money the the Foley PD.

I counted this funny Ernie, even though it really isn't, because I'm pretty sure you won't shoot him. Not that he doesn't deserve it. Probably just as well that it turned out the way it did rather than him getting busted on premises and putting you all under suspicion.
Alabama Beverage Control is pretty much Gestapo. Had an inspector decided to wander in last night, he could have done so without a warrant or even identifying himself. Had he looked in that back pack I would have lost my liquor license and been subject to $10,000 in fines. Had that happened, 50/50, this would no longer be funny.

Well apparently your guardian angels are looking out for you Ernie. But I can't resist posting this:

19225273_866030056881088_7169480563800972191_n.jpg

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Hossfly's knee surgery,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel,
Foxfyre & Hombre's foster dog Carly for wellness,
Dana!!!! (Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant.)
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, and all others we hope will return.

No one ever succeeding unless they first began. At some point we have to pull up the anchor and go.
setting-sail-II-3.jpg

I'm officially peed!
In Alabama, the last drink is served at 1:59:59, but customers are welcome to stay until staff really wants to go home. Bet laid plans and all,sometimes staff want a cocktail after work and once customers are out on a busy night, outside lights go out, doors are locked and the party resumes. So, after I left at 4, the staff was cleaning and drinking and around 6 eveything was done except the deposit and 2 bartenders, one male and one female left together. The woman was buzzed, probably over the legal limit, but most people in this business can still function quite well at a .16. The guy doesn't show his level unless you really know what to look for up to a point, but his license is suspended for a DUI.
He's kind of macho behind 10 beers so he convinces he should drive. Well half way home (they're room mates only) the guy turns off the headlight by mistake and gets pulled over.
Instant DUI and driving while suspended. Police ask the woman if they can search the car and since she had nothing to hide, OKs the search so she can get home and get some sleep. They found a bag of pot in his back pack..
I don't use the stuff, but I really don't care if anyone else does, but bring it or any other illegal drug into my bar, and you are gone for life. The SOB had pot, in his back pack, behind my bar, all friggin night. They put a 12 hour hold on him, so he gets out at 7. I'm about to go bail him out but I can't decide what to do first: Do I shoot him or fire him?I'm about certain I will do both, so if I turn up missing, send bail money the the Foley PD.

I'll come get ya Ernie! :)

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY
to all the dads, step dads, grand dads, and father figures!​

I am so lucky and blessed that my kids have such a super stepdad in WQ.:) My son and him get along so well, and I don't have to be put in the middle of any sort of squabbles. Even though my daughter is well into adulthood at almost 28, and now expecting her own child, she loves and appreciates WQ for making her mom happy, as well as knowing that her kids will have an amazing Grandpa.:thup: Thank you, my love.:smiliehug:

94227e74eb657fa0680041839b8b250e.jpg

I wish I had mine done. :)

I got up early had to give the cat a shot for diabetes. But since I was up just did the chores and got em done.

Our last dog had diabetes and had to have insulin shots twice a day. But because he got a treat each time he got a shot he was diligent in reminding us it was time for his shot. :)

The cat has to have shots twice a day as well. He's doing pretty good now that they got the right dosage figured out.

I'd hate trying to give our cat a shot. I can't even get her to take a pill; my employer always ends up shoving any pill the cat needs into her mouth. :lol:
Mortar and pestle, syringe (no needle). Crush the pill, add enough water to fill the syringe then feed to the cat that way. We had to do that with Boo because he wouldn't take pills, no matter how hard we tried he'd just spit them back out. The syringe method can be a little messy as you cat will probably fight that also but it's better than trying to force feed a pill. I would shoot the syringe contents into Boo's mouth then hold his mouth closed till he swallowed.

I usually crush the pill and put it in a small amount of peanut butter and place it in the cats jaw. They have no choice but to swallow it

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads! Do you know that to your kids, you are a real life hero? They may not say so, but they do believe you hung the sun and the moon.

At least that's how I still regard Pop nine years after he passed. I thought that of him when I still had him around too. I saw him in my dream last night. He was laughing, well, more like the chuckle he did whenever he saw Archie Bunker making a fool of himself or the scene in Young Frankenstein where Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle, dressed in tuxedos, sang and danced to Putting on the Ritz.

Simple things like those elicited Pop's chuckle. His eyes would squint, his teeth would show behind his lips and he would hiss out little happy breaths. That was Pop's chuckle. I tried my best every day to,make him make that sound.

Anyway, Happy Father's Day!

Last edited:
I got up early had to give the cat a shot for diabetes. But since I was up just did the chores and got em done.

Our last dog had diabetes and had to have insulin shots twice a day. But because he got a treat each time he got a shot he was diligent in reminding us it was time for his shot. :)

The cat has to have shots twice a day as well. He's doing pretty good now that they got the right dosage figured out.

I'd hate trying to give our cat a shot. I can't even get her to take a pill; my employer always ends up shoving any pill the cat needs into her mouth. :lol:
Mortar and pestle, syringe (no needle). Crush the pill, add enough water to fill the syringe then feed to the cat that way. We had to do that with Boo because he wouldn't take pills, no matter how hard we tried he'd just spit them back out. The syringe method can be a little messy as you cat will probably fight that also but it's better than trying to force feed a pill. I would shoot the syringe contents into Boo's mouth then hold his mouth closed till he swallowed.

I usually crush the pill and put it in a small amount of peanut butter and place it in the cats jaw. They have no choice but to swallow it

Welcome back PixieStix. You haven't been here in like forever. Happy to see you.

My "weekstart" is beginning now :)
Your work Monday through Friday, with Saturday and Sunday off?

P.S. Hmm, I don't like Ayn Rand so much, but as I see - she's a wonderful source of citations! :)
I like Ayn Rand very much. She celebrated the individual and condemned government interference in free development of talent, skills, resources, and industry. Objectivisim places the responsibility for each person's success, or failure, in their own hands. Unfortunately, she proved all-to-prophetic in her depiction of how government interference would affect social development.

I do love Robert Heinlein and have read much of his books (and periodically re-read ;))) Objectivism is not a single idea, claimed a responsibility of persons for own success. But opposition of "creative" person to society is not a good idea. It's interesting, how different Ayn Rand percieved in US and in Russia, but as a raiser of question "How much each person could do against society" she's not alone, there are a lot of authors, from Dostoevsky to Efremov, raised the same problem...
At my sight, ideas of Ayn Rand - typical ideas of liberals, who lose the revolution and country 100 years ago... History showed, communism, as ideology, was more progressive... and, ironically, got the main problem of Ayn Rand's ideology at the end. It's not a bad idea, some "atlants" could rule of people progress, according with their high morals. The main problem - WHERE we can find people with such high morals, enough for successful rule of our sophisticated world? :)

P.S. Oldman Heinlein knew the construction of US society very good... But it's interesting to read, how he tried to apply his knowledges to Moscow life, organized by different principles :)))))

Interesting to find another Heinlein fan in the Coffee Shop. I think I first read one of his "juveniles" when i was in sixth grade...something called Farmer in the Sky. I have probably read twenty or thirty of his books since. There is probably no one who has contributed more to my overall moral development than Heinlein. My favorite is Time Enough For Love. The aphorisms in the interludes are priceless. I can quote many of them from memory.

Ex: Never appeal to a man's "better nature." He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.

A woman is not property. Any man who thinks otherwise is living in a dream world.

There is a excellent biography of Heinlein out there. The man was a true American Hero. He graduated from the Naval Academy and served with distinction until he contracted TB. He was a engineer during the Second World War working on munitions for the war effort.

I would characterize him as a Libertarian with a strong humanistic streak. A great man imho. The biography I mentioned.

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg

Yes, you're right - he's a strong humanistic writer, but he knew a lot about human society. I think, if some of current rulers just read the Heinlein, this world would be a bit better...

The first books of Heinlein, I've read were The Menace from Earth, The Citizen of the Galaxy and Orphans of the Sky - very different worlds and actors, but the same style of phylosoply and - yes - with love to humankind...

Your work Monday through Friday, with Saturday and Sunday off?

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg
I've used several Heinlein quotes in my signature line while in the USMB. Like you, his works played a large part in my philosophical development. He got a little preachy towards the end, but his stories were still always worth reading.

His "History of Future" is outstanding... Including "non-writed novell" :)

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg

I agree, some of his latter day books were a bit on the preachy side. But still, his humanism always came through for me. I really liked Job: A Comedy of Justice, The Cat Who Walked Through Walls and Friday among his later books.

My personal favorites are Time Enough for Love, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Glory Road, Farnham's Freehold, and Starship Troopers.

I have joked to my stepson that Heinlein was like Lt. Dan from Forest Gump. His family served in every war in American History...from the American Revolution up through Vietnam. His brother was a Major General in the Army. Reading his biography...his biggest disappointment was not being able to serve his full hitch as a Naval Officer. It crushed him and he turned to writing as a last resort. I think he would have liked nothing better than to die gloriously for his Country. I am so glad I read the definitive biography that was authorized by his wife. A very good man imho.

Reading books, it seems Heinlein much more positive, than Lt. Dan :) But now I understand his ideas from "Starship Troopers". Btw, movie by Verhoeven is also very fine. It's interesting to read Heinlein (and watch Verhoeven) about US army and compare it with info we've got at War Faculty :)

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg

Reading books, it seems Heinlein much more positive, than Lt. Dan :) But now I understand his ideas from "Starship Troopers". Btw, movie by Verhoeven is also very fine. It's interesting to read Heinlein (and watch Verhoeven) about US army and compare it with info we've got at War Faculty :)

I hated the Starship Troopers movie. It had next to nothing to do with the book, which I enjoyed. :)

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg

I hated the Starship Troopers movie. It had next to nothing to do with the book, which I enjoyed. :)

Yes, the movie and the book are two different novels with the same name and, maybe, some similar ideas and actors. But both are good, if you don't consider them as related )

61pZunutZcL.jpg
robert-heinlein.jpg

The young Naval Officer.

robert-a-heinlein-1.jpg

Yes, the movie and the book are two different novels with the same name and, maybe, some similar ideas and actors. But both are good, if you don't consider them as related )

Even completely unrelated to the book, I think the movie is terrible. :p

Even completely unrelated to the book, I think the movie is terrible. :p

Just because you have a stereotypes :afro:

Forum List

Back