USMB Coffee Shop IV

I don't know why states designate state birds, or flowers, or any of that type of thing.

Ours is the Brown Thrasher.

Brown-Thrasher.jpg

We have a state flower - Yucca
We have a state bird - Roadrunner
We have a state aircraft - Hot Air balloon
We have a state amphibian - Spadefoot Toad
We have a state animal - Black Bear
We have a state butterfly - Sandia Hairstreak
We have a state cookie - bischochito
We have a state fish - Cuthroat Trout
We have a state fossil - Coelophysis
We have a state gem - Turquoise
We have two state vegetables - Frijoles (pinto bean) and Chile Pepper.
And a lot of others.

When Gary Johnson was governor he tried to get the legislature to spend more time on important things than nonsense. But after vetoing an official state question twice, he finally game in and signed it so they would quit spending time on it.
Our official state question - Red or Green?
Not just anyone would understand the question. Just in case anyone is interested, green.

I certainly don't understand it. :p

In Albuquerque when you go out for Mexican food the waiter will always ask if you want red or green chile. Most prefer green but red is available for those who want it. Those who want both just say "Christmas."

New Mexico is the chile capital of maybe the world. There is none better anywhere than our Hatch green chile. The chile roasters are in operation all over town now and the aroma is wonderful.
I can't decide if I like chili roasting season or spring in Albuquerque. I love the smell of millions of chilies roasting, but there is something about the desert coming alive.

I don't know why states designate state birds, or flowers, or any of that type of thing.

Ours is the Brown Thrasher.

Brown-Thrasher.jpg

And a lot of others.

When Gary Johnson was governor he tried to get the legislature to spend more time on important things than nonsense. But after vetoing an official state question twice, he finally game in and signed it so they would quit spending time on it.
Not just anyone would understand the question. Just in case anyone is interested, green.

In Albuquerque when you go out for Mexican food the waiter will always ask if you want red or green chile. Most prefer green but red is available for those who want it. Those who want both just say "Christmas."

New Mexico is the chile capital of maybe the world. There is none better anywhere than our Hatch green chile. The chile roasters are in operation all over town now and the aroma is wonderful.

Ah.....I wouldn't eat either one. I don't go out for Mexican food (or stay in for Mexican food). :)
Your choices would be limited in Albuquerque.

Good morning!

I stood outside and watched that silly eclipse for some time but I didn't see anything. It just looked like the sun to me. I looked at it through my cell phone camera. Hope that's okay! Well, I'm not blind today, so I guess it is okay. :eusa_dance:

It seemed to get a little dimmer outside, but we also had a thin veil of cloud cover.

It wasn't a good idea to look at the sun through your camera, but that's true even if it's not an eclipse. ;) It's not that the sun is more damaging during an eclipse, it's just that it is easier to look directly at the sun during the eclipse, so people tend to look longer, which can cause damage. A quick glance at an eclipse should be no more dangerous than a quick glance at a normal sun overhead, so far as I know.

Since I'm talking about the eclipse, I did not know that there is a thing called eclipse crescent shadows. You get crescents of light, which doesn't seem to make sense. A friend posted a picture of some on facebook, and at first I thought it was a joke. I looked it up, and apparently it's a real thing, with the leaves of trees being natural pinhole cameras.

20994329_10155106123333422_7966814059120354890_n.jpg

And a lot of others.

Ah.....I wouldn't eat either one. I don't go out for Mexican food (or stay in for Mexican food). :)

I guess it's good I have no plans to go to that area. :D

Although, really, I don't eat out much anyway.

Good morning!

I stood outside and watched that silly eclipse for some time but I didn't see anything. It just looked like the sun to me. I looked at it through my cell phone camera. Hope that's okay! Well, I'm not blind today, so I guess it is okay. :eusa_dance:

It seemed to get a little dimmer outside, but we also had a thin veil of cloud cover.

It wasn't a good idea to look at the sun through your camera, but that's true even if it's not an eclipse. ;) It's not that the sun is more damaging during an eclipse, it's just that it is easier to look directly at the sun during the eclipse, so people tend to look longer, which can cause damage. A quick glance at an eclipse should be no more dangerous than a quick glance at a normal sun overhead, so far as I know.

Since I'm talking about the eclipse, I did not know that there is a thing called eclipse crescent shadows. You get crescents of light, which doesn't seem to make sense. A friend posted a picture of some on facebook, and at first I thought it was a joke. I looked it up, and apparently it's a real thing, with the leaves of trees being natural pinhole cameras.

I looked at it through my camera a whole bunch of times and I'm fine. :dunno:

Meh, I feel like I wasted time trying to look at that eclipse. I didn't really see anything spectacular. You probably need a special lens to be able to see it or something.

Nope, no special lens needed. It only lasts for a short time, though. And aren't you far up in the NE? That would put you pretty far away from the totality area, I don't know just how much of the sun was going to get covered from your area. :dunno:

Good morning!

If you weren't just staring at the sun, that's probably not an issue. The eclipse danger is that apparently the sun can still be just as damaging to your eyes as usual, but you don't get the same aversion reaction which makes it hard to stare at the sun during normal times. So, during the eclipse, you can just stare at it without so much discomfort, and that's where the danger lies.

Good morning!

If you weren't just staring at the sun, that's probably not an issue. The eclipse danger is that apparently the sun can still be just as damaging to your eyes as usual, but you don't get the same aversion reaction which makes it hard to stare at the sun during normal times. So, during the eclipse, you can just stare at it without so much discomfort, and that's where the danger lies.

It was still pretty bright here to look at. I only looked for a few seconds at a time.

Meh, I feel like I wasted time trying to look at that eclipse. I didn't really see anything spectacular. You probably need a special lens to be able to see it or something.

Nope, no special lens needed. It only lasts for a short time, though. And aren't you far up in the NE? That would put you pretty far away from the totality area, I don't know just how much of the sun was going to get covered from your area. :dunno:

I'm in Massachusetts, so maybe.

There are a lot of Mexican/southwestern/New Mexico cuisine restaurants here, but we really do have a wide variety. I would guess there are as many Asian restaurants as Mexican ones plus we have all the usual chains: Applebees, Chilis, Pappadeaux, Olive Garden et al, and some good steak houses, barbque places, local Italian, etc.

But almost all of our Mexican/southwestern cuisine is the real deal, very different from the Texmex style that is more common in most of 'gringo' country.

Good morning!

Hope so. They say not a good idea to look at the sun through the camera but most say it is because you can damage your camera without a sun filter made for that purpose. I haven't a clue but if you feel okay you're probably okay.

You got a bit over 50% of the eclipse up where you are which would probably not be noticeable if you didn't know it was happening.

upload_2017-8-23_7-52-4.png

We got between 75-80% and it was barely noticeable here.

Good morning!

Hope so. They say not a good idea to look at the sun through the camera but most say it is because you can damage your camera. I haven't a clue but if you feel okay you're probably okay.

You got a bit over 50% of the eclipse up where you are which would probably not be noticeable if you didn't know it was happening.

View attachment 145566

Same here. I thought it would get much darker with 75% coverage. I tried a pinhole viewer and couldn't even tell a difference with it. I don't know what I did wrong.

Good morning!

Hope so. They say not a good idea to look at the sun through the camera but most say it is because you can damage your camera. I haven't a clue but if you feel okay you're probably okay.

View attachment 145566

Same here. I thought it would get much darker with 75% coverage. I tried a pinhole viewer and couldn't even tell a difference with it. I don't know what I did wrong.

We were supposed to get to 95%, but I didn't have any sort of glasses and didn't go to watch it. I did see it get darker outside, though.

If the little one had been home, I would have found a way to watch it with her.

I took Mom downtown to the print shop so we could all watch the eclipse as a family. My brother had bought us all glasses through which we could clearly see the crescent sun. My sister-in-law came over too and there on the sidewalk in front of the shop we watched the event.

Of course it was amazing to see the sun reduced to the sliver like the night after a new moon. We did not experience totality at our latitude.

But we also were amazed at how bright it remained even as the sun was covered by moon shadow. And we were amazed at the number of people driving by without so much as a glance at the phenomenon. It seemed a normal day in East Liverpool.
I can't believe that there were actually people worried about birds and their pets being blinded by the sun if they looked at the eclipse. SMH...
I heard one report about eclipses happening over the open ocean. It is said that whales will surface, stare at the sky and sing.

I saw a partial eclipse in England a few years ago, and all the seagulls started squawking, and they flew in from the sea.

There are a lot of Mexican/southwestern/New Mexico cuisine restaurants here, but we really do have a wide variety. I would guess there are as many Asian restaurants as Mexican ones plus we have all the usual chains: Applebees, Chilis, Pappadeaux, Olive Garden et al, and some good steak houses, barbque places, local Italian, etc.

But almost all of our Mexican/southwestern cuisine is the real deal, very different from the Texmex style that is more common in most of 'gringo' country.
When I lived in Albuquerque, there were 2 Taco Bells in town, which I found rather ridiculous.

I will try to take a pic of her tomorrow..but...my new visitor that comes every now and then might be coming more often. Starving animals..not on my watch. The kitty next door is so damn skinny. Too skinny. For a week now, she has come to rub against me and meow and purr and a good jaw scratch. Unfortunately, she has not learned manners..nor been fed properly. She gets so excited to be petted, she uses her claws to grab my hand and her teeth if I stop. So, when she does that, I gently push her away and say NO TEEFERS. NO CLAWS. But I have refrained from feeding her cuz...well..once you feed a cat, it winds up yours. And I don't want any more pets. But, I will not allow an animal to be hungry. So..I gave her a can of tuna. She belongs to the meth head neighbors who seem to not care she is so skinny and so desperate for attention. Well, she has a full belly today. She never comes at night, but I will see her again tomorrow. Which means..I have to go to the store and get some cat food since I have no more tuna. :lol:

And no..I am not adopting her. She is not mine. I'll just feed her.

Yeah, I did that once. Only, I had to take the cat in and give him a flea bath because no one else would adopt him like he was. I wasn't keeping him, just taking care of him until I could find him a good home.

I had him for 10 years. :)

Yeah we saw our Coffee Shopper 007 through the loss of his 20-year buddy. Seems like most of us have had to say goodbye or help a beloved fur friend over the rainbow bridge and most are determined not to replace that friend.

But with 007 he described a scraggly little thing crawling out of the weeds, half starved and desperate for somebody. So Bootsie has now been a permanent part of his household for a couple of years or so now. :)

And the Ringels didn't want Gizmo either but didn't turn him away when he showed up at their place.

Sometimes the best fur friends are those that choose us.
Yup, I had sworn to never have another cat after my 20 year old buddy, Buttons, had to be put to sleep. I washed crushed. I still can't look at the pictures of him I took right before the vet showed up, the lump in the throat comes on quick. But when that tiny little black and white fur ball overcame her fear because she was so hungry, that cute little thing standing over on a little RR tie wall in the weeds peaking out, meowing up a storm... "I'M HUNGRY and I smell FOOD," I just couldn't resist. She looked just like the cat I had to give up when I joined the AF, which also broke my heart, so six years on now Bootsie is a big fluffy happy campfire cat with a good home and someone to love her, and she'll never be hungry again.

And who knows? Maybe she is Buttons reincarnated?
I agree, Foxy. They both have the same little spot on the left side of their nose. What are the odds of that?

Good morning!

That is really interesting. Thanks for the pic, Mont!

We had about a 90% coverage here. I took my little Canon Power shot out and used an old welding mask for a sun filter, and using my tripod this what we saw at the max exlipse...

IMG_0054.jpg
That's about what we got here too. At one point, still wearing my protective glasses, I watched the sun's reflection on a windshield. It was clear why in more southerly latitudes, a total eclipse could be seen. The sun was in the southern sky that time of day and the moon shadow crept up from the bottom, just like your image.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Forum List

Back