USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ya have to do what the rest of us do, pick one and start watching it......... If you like it then good, if not then that's okay also....... :D

Some that are rated great I find to be unwatchable, some that are rated poor I actually like, it's a matter of personal taste. :dunno:

My point was that I can recommend Altered Carbon on Netflix because I've seen it, whereas I have not watched any Amazon original sci-fi series, so I don't know if they have any good ones.
Can't tell ya, you might like ones I don't. I did like Expanse (TV series) and a couple of movies that were not that well rated, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets was one.

I thought The Expanse was OK, but not good enough for me to keep watching past the first few episodes. I haven't even bothered watching Valerian, because I've heard so many bad things about it. :p
Hey, I liked Starship Troopers......... :lol:

I don't go by ratings that much as I've found things I like are not always what others like and vice versa.

Oh, Starship Troopers was garbage.....and not fun garbage, like Flash Gordon. :rofl:
Like I said, it's a matter of preference. :D

My point was that I can recommend Altered Carbon on Netflix because I've seen it, whereas I have not watched any Amazon original sci-fi series, so I don't know if they have any good ones.
Can't tell ya, you might like ones I don't. I did like Expanse (TV series) and a couple of movies that were not that well rated, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets was one.

I thought The Expanse was OK, but not good enough for me to keep watching past the first few episodes. I haven't even bothered watching Valerian, because I've heard so many bad things about it. :p
Hey, I liked Starship Troopers......... :lol:

I don't go by ratings that much as I've found things I like are not always what others like and vice versa.

Oh, Starship Troopers was garbage.....and not fun garbage, like Flash Gordon. :rofl:
Like I said, it's a matter of preference. :D

I looked up Amazon original series, and while there are a few sci-fi series they have in development, it appears the only one they have currently is Phillip K. Dick's Electric Dreams. I haven't watched any of those yet, but it's an anthology series.

I was wondering if anyone watches a netflix series called Longmire? Sherry and me have been binge watching it. Cool show. It is supposed to take place in Wyoming but I read it is filmed mostly around Las Vegas New Mexico.

Longmire.png

I was wondering if anyone watches a netflix series called Longmire? Sherry and me have been binge watching it. Cool show. It is supposed to take place in Wyoming but I read it is filmed mostly around Las Vegas New Mexico.

Longmire.png

I read a review that said it was very boring, so I never bothered with it. I have so many shows to watch as it is, I need something to draw me in to a new one. :p

Longmire.png

I read a review that said it was very boring, so I never bothered with it. I have so many shows to watch as it is, I need something to draw me in to a new one. :p

Boring it is not. :) Not sure which reviewer you read but that goes against general critical opinion. From Wiki:

Critical reception
Reception has generally been positive. During season 1, Nancy DeWolf Smith of The Wall Street Journal called the series "the best of two worlds: a modern crime drama with dry wit and sometimes heart-wrenching emotion that's also got a glorious setting under the big sky of Wyoming." She added: "If it weren't for a few modern conveniences, like cellphones and trucks, it might as well be 1875, so rugged and unspoiled does the scenery look."[60] Newsday's Verne Gay stated: "Longmire arrives as silently as a dust devil kicked up by a high wind on the Wyoming plains. With little in the way of fanfare and a lead actor unacquainted with household name status, it must instead rely on a quiet fortitude, much like its namesake." He added: "Unassuming Longmire doesn't shout 'Love Me!' but instead works its charms subtly, quietly. There's promise here."[61] Alan Sepinwall of HitFix said of Season 1, "there's a sense of place to the show that makes it feel unlike every other cop show on television", and he would "like to see the mysteries grow more engaging as the series moves along, but Longmire at least starts with a good foundation in Walt, his sidekicks, and the wide, open spaces they travel."[62]

The San Francisco Chronicle's David Wiegand was critical, writing that the series "has the look and feel of a show cooked up by a bunch of bored TV industry types while they were waiting for the valet to bring their car to them at the Beverly Hills Chuck E. Cheese." He added: "There's very little drama, and the pilot episode lumbers along like an overfed elk."[63]

Three years later, after viewing the first three episodes of Season 4, a top critic on the Roger Ebert site wrote, "It sometimes sounds like faint praise to describe a series like you would a reliable car but Longmire is just a sturdy show. It is well-constructed all around—confidently made, well-acted, and the writing is much smarter than many shows like it. It hums, each episode these three feeling more well-paced than the one before."[64] At the same point in the series, Mike Hale of The New York Times also filed a favorable review, with particular praise for actor Robert Taylor, described as a "modern day Gary Cooper or Joel McCrea".[65]

In the aggregate, Longmire received favorable reviews on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes. For example, Season 4 received an average rating of 8.5/10 based on 7 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Longmire.png

Boring it is not. :) Not sure which reviewer you read but that goes against general critical opinion. From Wiki:

Critical reception
Reception has generally been positive. During season 1, Nancy DeWolf Smith of The Wall Street Journal called the series "the best of two worlds: a modern crime drama with dry wit and sometimes heart-wrenching emotion that's also got a glorious setting under the big sky of Wyoming." She added: "If it weren't for a few modern conveniences, like cellphones and trucks, it might as well be 1875, so rugged and unspoiled does the scenery look."[60] Newsday's Verne Gay stated: "Longmire arrives as silently as a dust devil kicked up by a high wind on the Wyoming plains. With little in the way of fanfare and a lead actor unacquainted with household name status, it must instead rely on a quiet fortitude, much like its namesake." He added: "Unassuming Longmire doesn't shout 'Love Me!' but instead works its charms subtly, quietly. There's promise here."[61] Alan Sepinwall of HitFix said of Season 1, "there's a sense of place to the show that makes it feel unlike every other cop show on television", and he would "like to see the mysteries grow more engaging as the series moves along, but Longmire at least starts with a good foundation in Walt, his sidekicks, and the wide, open spaces they travel."[62]

The San Francisco Chronicle's David Wiegand was critical, writing that the series "has the look and feel of a show cooked up by a bunch of bored TV industry types while they were waiting for the valet to bring their car to them at the Beverly Hills Chuck E. Cheese." He added: "There's very little drama, and the pilot episode lumbers along like an overfed elk."[63]

Three years later, after viewing the first three episodes of Season 4, a top critic on the Roger Ebert site wrote, "It sometimes sounds like faint praise to describe a series like you would a reliable car but Longmire is just a sturdy show. It is well-constructed all around—confidently made, well-acted, and the writing is much smarter than many shows like it. It hums, each episode these three feeling more well-paced than the one before."[64] At the same point in the series, Mike Hale of The New York Times also filed a favorable review, with particular praise for actor Robert Taylor, described as a "modern day Gary Cooper or Joel McCrea".[65]

In the aggregate, Longmire received favorable reviews on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes. For example, Season 4 received an average rating of 8.5/10 based on 7 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

I haven't watched Longmire but will check it out on your recommendation. We don't have Netflix though. The first three seasons of Longmire I believe were shot around Las Vegas and also north and east of Taos at Eagle Nest and Red River high in the southern Rockies in northern New Mexico. Season four I think was shot mostly in Santa Fe. New Mexico has a booming televisions series and movie making industry. "Breaking Bad" for instance was almost all filmed right here in Albuquerque.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and rejoice when they return.

The early March flowers remind us that no winter of our Earth or our soul lasts forever.
th

.. and for those carefree mornin romantics .. Sweet Coffee Blessings and a Hug.. :11_2_1043:

Last edited:
Now, if you wanna really wake up, this will do the trick....:disbelief:

Alert .. it's not me at the end.. I swear..:hhello:

Last edited:

I had seen this before but thanks for posting it because I immensely enjoyed it again just now. Whoever scoured the film library and mastered those clips to the sound track was absolutely brilliant. I can't imagine how much time and effort that required but the result is stunning.

Went up to the Elena Gallegos Open Space and took a short walk on one of the trails, the 305A I think. Looking at the map we went about a quarter mile in then turned around, not used to the uneven ground and somewhat shallow roller coaster topography so I knew we wouldn't get far. Still it felt good. :thup:

I had seen this before but thanks for posting it because I immensely enjoyed it again just now. Whoever scoured the film library and mastered those clips to the sound track was absolutely brilliant. I can't imagine how much time and effort that required but the result is stunning.

I'd never seen it before but it sure brought back some memories, I love the old black & white musicals and the stars of the past along with the sweet memories of Mom and Pop. Since discovering I'm up to at least a ten times watch, it cheers me up and brings on the smiles.

Next time I'll bring a camera, some gorgeous views to the west. :thup:

Especially today with the clouds starting to move back in--lots of stark white against the blue with the mares' tails. We noticed that the locust and mimosa trees are showing green now. Hopefully the others will hold off until the last hard freeze that inevitably comes sometime in late March and April.

I grew up in California during their golden years. There's still plenty of gorgeous and I'd love to live where the redwoods meet the ocean but that's a tough haul nowadays and all my relatives have moved out of state.

I grew up in California during their golden years. There's still plenty of gorgeous and I'd love to live where the redwoods meet the ocean but that's a tough haul nowadays and all my relatives have moved out of state.
Here it's in the Sandia foothills looking across the Rio Grande at the high desert. Currently it's still cool enough not to have to worry about rattlers'.............

Here it's in the Sandia foothills looking across the Rio Grande at the high desert. Currently it's still cool enough not to have to worry about rattlers'.............

You have rattlers, how do you deal with them? If I thought there were rattlers outside I would not go out without a shotgun. I would use large calibre pellets. But a shotgun would be my choice of weapon, as you don't have to be a good shot.

Forum List

Back