USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's five am in Britain and I have been awake since three am. I just can't seem to sleep through the night anymore.

It's five am in Britain and I have been awake since three am. I just can't seem to sleep through the night anymore.

It is just after midnight here and I am headed to bed, trying to train myself to go earlier because we return to daylight savings time tomorrow night and it takes my biological clock forever to adjust.

Good night darlinks. No change in the vigil list.

Next time I'll bring a camera, some gorgeous views to the west. :thup:

I grew up in California during their golden years. There's still plenty of gorgeous and I'd love to live where the redwoods meet the ocean but that's a tough haul nowadays and all my relatives have moved out of state.
Here it's in the Sandia foothills looking across the Rio Grande at the high desert. Currently it's still cool enough not to have to worry about rattlers'.............

You have rattlers, how do you deal with them? If I thought there were rattlers outside I would not go out without a shotgun. I would use large calibre pellets. But a shotgun would be my choice of weapon, as you don't have to be a good shot.
Snakes tend to avoid people especially in areas that are heavily populated but they do cross our paths from time to time especially in the wilderness, in most cases people get bit because they did something stupid.

As Easter is unusually early this year our Easter Pageant on the Hillside director is asking for extended rehearsal hours. The Pageant usually comes off just fine, but the cast of actors in costume and on the sloping hill changes from year to year. Older folks find it harder to negotiate the hill and parents are eager to see their children portraying ancient Israelites.

So the director has to herd cats, controlling the unwieldy cast as they triumphantly enter Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, jeer at Christ's trial before Pilate and then weep, mourn and run away terrified from Golgotha.

It reminds me of an anecdote Carlton Heston told on The Tonight Show years ago. While making The Ten Commandments, Cecil B. DeMille had his hands full, to say the least. You all recall the scene where the Israelites are finally freed by Pharaoh. The twelve tribes are gathering at the city gates. Thousands of costumed extras, flocks of ducks and geese, spitting annoyed camels, stubborn mules and donkeys were all waiting to march out of Egypt.

To catch all the action in a minimum of takes, DeMille staged three cameras. One on a fifteen foot high platform to shoot the action from a bird's eye view. Another camera was placed at eye level to see the faces of the jubilant throng. And the third was positioned on a hill opposite the scene to provide a panoramic shot. The three cameramen were given walkie talkies to coordinate their shots. This was a very expensive scene to shoot and MGM studio honchos were counting every penny.

DeMille shouted "Action!" and the grand parade began. For twenty minutes, and the length of time and film each camera could capture, the animals and expensive costumed actors strutted their stuff for Mr. DeMille.

"Cut!" DeMille shouted.

Eager to find out how this logistical problem had actually worked out, DeMille called the platform cameraman on the radio.

"We're sorry, Mr. DeMille, but we forgot to take the lens cap from the camera! We got nothin'!"

Annoyed, DeMille walked over to the eye level camera and asked how their footage was.

"Mr. DeMille, sand got into the camera mechanism and seized it up only two minutes into the shot."

Worried that there would be no usable film, DeMille radioed the hilltop camera position.

The reply from the remote camera crew was "Ready when you are, Mr. DeMille!"

I grew up in California during their golden years. There's still plenty of gorgeous and I'd love to live where the redwoods meet the ocean but that's a tough haul nowadays and all my relatives have moved out of state.
Here it's in the Sandia foothills looking across the Rio Grande at the high desert. Currently it's still cool enough not to have to worry about rattlers'.............

You folks talking about the West makes me really miss it. My folks lived in Arizona for many years and my sister lived in southern Nevada right on the Colorado river. Arizona, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico are all such beautiful States.

I think the drive up from Albuquerque to Santa Fe is really nice. I remember visiting Jemez Historic site as well. very cool. :thup:

Farolitos%2C_old_church%2C_Jemez_State_Monument.jpg

You folks talking about the West makes me really miss it. My folks lived in Arizona for many years and my sister lived in southern Nevada right on the Colorado river. Arizona, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico are all such beautiful States.

I think the drive up from Albuquerque to Santa Fe is really nice. I remember visiting Jemez Historic site as well. very cool. :thup:

Farolitos%2C_old_church%2C_Jemez_State_Monument.jpg
The Jemez Red Rock Canyon is very pretty.

image001.jpg

The drive we really like is from Bernallilo up to Cuba, on the way back there's good view of Cabezon Peak, an ancient volcanic plug.

648867.JPG

Last edited:
Don't forget to set your clocks ahead tonight everybody. I'll try to keep my grumbles to a minimum as I hate hate HATE this time change. My biological clock doesn't adjust for months.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and rejoice when they return.

021501%C2%A0Spring+forward%21+Clocks+get+set+ahead+one+hour+tonight%21+Daylight+Saving+Time+Facebook+meme.jpg

I sprang forward this morning, since I didn’t have to be anywhere this morning.

Us too. Now in the process of starting cooking for our Sunday lunch with Aunt Betty and Dana, but I am not happy at being up before what should be before 7 a.m. here but, courtesy of Uncle Sam, is almost 8 a.m. Not to mention all the clocks in the house that have to be reset. But oh well.

So how are you doing after your first week back at work ricechickie. It is going well?

The last thing we need a spring in the step of a few of you. Cut it out before you break a hip.

Us too. Now in the process of starting cooking for our Sunday lunch with Aunt Betty and Dana, but I am not happy at being up before what should be before 7 a.m. here but, courtesy of Uncle Sam, is almost 8 a.m. Not to mention all the clocks in the house that have to be reset. But oh well.

So how are you doing after your first week back at work ricechickie. It is going well?

The kids are great. They’ve obviously learned and matured, but next week report cards are going home. I begged my co-teacher to keep notes so that I could help fill out report cards (since I haven’t been there to observe skills learned). She took a few. She also “sort of” followed the two months of plans I made. So, I’ve been playing catch up. We usually split the class, each of us filling out half the reports. So last week, I come back after being gone for two months, no good notes to go on, and a co-teacher who hasn’t started on her half of the report cards (even though she said she would so she’d have time to catch me up in my half). As of Friday, I had to abandon most of my teaching time last week to assess kids so that I could send home accurate report cards next week.

Long story short, I’m glad to be back, I’m super achey (using back muscles again), I’m annoyed with my co-teacher, and I feel guilty for being annoyed because I left her for two months with a sub. But this is why I was trying to plan ahead!

Grrrrrrr.

The kids are great. They’ve obviously learned and matured, but next week report cards are going home. I begged my co-teacher to keep notes so that I could help fill out report cards (since I haven’t been there to observe skills learned). She took a few. She also “sort of” followed the two months of plans I made. So, I’ve been playing catch up. We usually split the class, each of us filling out half the reports. So last week, I come back after being gone for two months, no good notes to go on, and a co-teacher who hasn’t started on her half of the report cards (even though she said she would so she’d have time to catch me up in my half). As of Friday, I had to abandon most of my teaching time last week to assess kids so that I could send home accurate report cards next week.

Long story short, I’m glad to be back, I’m super achey (using back muscles again), I’m annoyed with my co-teacher, and I feel guilty for being annoyed because I left her for two months with a sub. But this is why I was trying to plan ahead!

Grrrrrrr.

I know the feeling. There are always mixed emotions for me in such situations. I usually felt frustrated and like I had to atone for any time off because things were left undone and/or were done sloppily or incorrectly. But I tell myself it would be worse if everything was absolutely perfect when I returned as that would indicate I wasn't really needed. :)

Anyhow let's keep you on the list for another week to give you time to fully recuperate.

The last thing we need a spring in the step of a few of you. Cut it out before you break a hip.

Even worse is that I just noticed that the photo I selected for last night's sign off and vigil list was an ad from a funeral home. :oops-28:

Always good to double check you're not in the obits.

Well I wasn't. I was just zipping through all the photos on a given subject that bing offered and settled on that one. I just didn't read the small type at the bottom. :)

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS. :yes_text12:

Was gonna make a picnic roast but unfortunately I left it in the fridge too long......... Soooo, pulled a beef roast out, thawed it (microwave), seared it and tossed it in the crock pot and turned it on high. An hour later checked on it at which time I decided it works better if it was plugged in..........

Forum List

Back