USMB Coffee Shop IV

I think you're right. Church attendance doesn't seem to be suffering so much as there is much less loyalty to a particular congregation or sometimes even a denomination. Many small churches are giving up and the people are going to larger congregations who can afford dynamic preachers, great music, and visual aids as well as specific ministries to kids and special interests. I was just researching congregations of a specific denomination for a family member and found a church near her that seems to be small enough not to be overwhelming, but offers the full range of amenities dear to the more traditional sort. And they serve a full breakfast--not just coffee and donuts--after their early service and a full brunch after their mid morning service--the photos at their website were pretty impressive.

Don't know if you could get that great fish sandwich there though Nosmo.
Why Are Christian Numbers Dropping?

Millennials leaving church in droves, study says - CNN

America’s Changing Religious Landscape

Christianity Declining, Secularism Rising

The World's Newest Major Religion: No Religion

Ya'll forget, I'm a historian and sociologist, I still keep up with multiple demographic changes.
I think you're right. Church attendance doesn't seem to be suffering so much as there is much less loyalty to a particular congregation or sometimes even a denomination. Many small churches are giving up and the people are going to larger congregations who can afford dynamic preachers, great music, and visual aids as well as specific ministries to kids and special interests. I was just researching congregations of a specific denomination for a family member and found a church near her that seems to be small enough not to be overwhelming, but offers the full range of amenities dear to the more traditional sort. And they serve a full breakfast--not just coffee and donuts--after their early service and a full brunch after their mid morning service--the photos at their website were pretty impressive.

Ya'll forget, I'm a historian and sociologist, I still keep up with multiple demographic changes.
And FWIW The Hallmark Movie Channel is the fastest growing channel these days in TV Land. I cut the cord on TV but get most everything via Roku or YouTube and a popular newish app is called Hallmark Movies Now. Many are quite good and less cheesy than years ago. I am losing interest in the Netflix content these days with their switch in programming which will probably appeal to that all-important age demographic- 18 to 54 ( or close).
I rarely watch any TV, the wife however......... Mostly real crime shows and HGTV type stuff. I watch movies and occasionally check out some TV series online (Amazon Prime Videos). In more cases than not I typically don't make it through the first season let alone more than two episodes before it becomes silly at best, some I never make it through the first episode before my brain cells start screaming in agony........

We get bored with regular series television programming pretty quickly these days and most of our television viewing is competition shows such as "Survivor" or "The Voice" etc. and/or documentaries or informative videos as you find on he Weather Channel or news programming. But I ordered the first two seasons of "L.A. Law" recently and we binge watched it all and never got tired of it. Nobody is making series that well put together any more, and as L.A. Law progressed into its later seasons it too deteriorated into more anger, unhappiness, violence etc. that constitutes so much of television anymore and it was no longer either entertaining or thought provoking to us.
I tried watching Salvation and couldn't even make it halfway through through the first episode, It's really a killjoy for plots like that when one knows exactly how the government works........ The Expanse wasn't too bad, started watching Star Trek the Next Generation but only made it through four episodes and I used to like that show. Watching Star Trek: Enterprise which I think is better acted but still somewhat hokey at times. Yeah, I like Sci-Fi.

Star Trek TNG is just too dated at this point. I never bothered with Enterprise. Discovery is actually a good show, but having to have CBS All Access is ridiculous. If you can find someone who has that streaming service, though, you should give it a shot.

Altered Carbon on Netflix was a pretty good sci-fi series, although it had some issues.

And FWIW The Hallmark Movie Channel is the fastest growing channel these days in TV Land. I cut the cord on TV but get most everything via Roku or YouTube and a popular newish app is called Hallmark Movies Now. Many are quite good and less cheesy than years ago. I am losing interest in the Netflix content these days with their switch in programming which will probably appeal to that all-important age demographic- 18 to 54 ( or close).
I rarely watch any TV, the wife however......... Mostly real crime shows and HGTV type stuff. I watch movies and occasionally check out some TV series online (Amazon Prime Videos). In more cases than not I typically don't make it through the first season let alone more than two episodes before it becomes silly at best, some I never make it through the first episode before my brain cells start screaming in agony........

We get bored with regular series television programming pretty quickly these days and most of our television viewing is competition shows such as "Survivor" or "The Voice" etc. and/or documentaries or informative videos as you find on he Weather Channel or news programming. But I ordered the first two seasons of "L.A. Law" recently and we binge watched it all and never got tired of it. Nobody is making series that well put together any more, and as L.A. Law progressed into its later seasons it too deteriorated into more anger, unhappiness, violence etc. that constitutes so much of television anymore and it was no longer either entertaining or thought provoking to us.
I tried watching Salvation and couldn't even make it halfway through through the first episode, It's really a killjoy for plots like that when one knows exactly how the government works........ The Expanse wasn't too bad, started watching Star Trek the Next Generation but only made it through four episodes and I used to like that show. Watching Star Trek: Enterprise which I think is better acted but still somewhat hokey at times. Yeah, I like Sci-Fi.

Star Trek TNG is just too dated at this point. I never bothered with Enterprise. Discovery is actually a good show, but having to have CBS All Access is ridiculous. If you can find someone who has that streaming service, though, you should give it a shot.

Altered Carbon on Netflix was a pretty good sci-fi series, although it had some issues.
Right now I have Amazon Prime Videos so I'm good with that for now as I really don't watch too often as I'm often busy doing other things.

Right now I have Amazon Prime Videos so I'm good with that for now as I really don't watch too often as I'm often busy doing other things.

I've got Prime as well, but I don't know what good sci-fi shows they have. :dunno:

I've got Prime as well, but I don't know what good sci-fi shows they have. :dunno:
Just type in Prime Video in the Amazon search field and browse the movies/shows.

Oh and remember........

Star-Wars-PSA-1.jpg

Morning! :)

We got a few inches of snow. I lucked out again and kept my power. Not a whole lot of snow fell but it was really wet and heavy snow which can bring down the lines. I feel very fortunate that I didn't lose any power these last two storms. Hopefully this will be the last snow for the season. It is almost spring!!! :banana:

Less than two weeks to spring; however, Albuquerque had one of its worst winter storms ever in early April--hurricane force winds close to the mountain and 16 inches of snow with it. Pretty bad. We still could use the moisture, but without the bad winds please. That was more than two decades ago but. . .

I read a frightening report that the arctic is in a heatwave and the ice cap is melting. That is why we are getting cold weather. God know what will happen, but it smacks of ecological disaster. It has been predicted there will be a disaster by 2050 and I will certainly be dead by then. But it is beginning to look like it will happen in my lifetime.

Not to worry Dajjal. The Arctic has been ice free in the past and there was no ecological disaster, nor would there be this time if that should happen. And it is highly unlikely that it will happen any time soon. It would be more of a problem if the ice on Antarctica melted but that doesn't seem likely either.

But if those ice caps should start growing out of their known zones at an unusual rate, we should all be chopping firewood and laying up a good store of food. But I'm not all that concerned even about that.

Just type in Prime Video in the Amazon search field and browse the movies/shows.

Oh and remember........

Star-Wars-PSA-1.jpg

Oh, I can find sci-fi shows on Prime.....but I don't know what good sci-fi shows are on Prime. :p

Oh and remember........

Star-Wars-PSA-1.jpg

Oh, I can find sci-fi shows on Prime.....but I don't know what good sci-fi shows are on Prime. :p
Ya have to do what the rest of us do, pick one and start watching it......... If you like it then good, if not then that's okay also....... :D

Some that are rated great I find to be unwatchable, some that are rated poor I actually like, it's a matter of personal taste. :dunno:

Oh and remember........

Star-Wars-PSA-1.jpg

I recommend ' electric dreams' it has been on British TV but I missed all but the last episode. I wish I had watched them all now, and I searched for a DVD release date, but its coming out on prime instead.

PS do not confuse it with the 1980's feature film of the same name.

Oh and remember........

Star-Wars-PSA-1.jpg

I recommend ' electric dreams' it has been on British TV but I missed all but the last episode. I wish I had watched them all now, and I searched for a DVD release date, but its coming out on prime instead.
It's been on Prime for a while over here in the colonies....... :D

Has anyone clicked on the advert on this forum ' breaking news, Clint's chilling last words' ?
I know he is not dead and I suspect it of being a link to a scam that tries to get money out of you. I have clicked on similar links on face book and found it tries to take over your computer and charge you money.
I am too scared to click on it to find out as I don't have a very good firewall and anti virus. I use Microsoft solutions.

Has anyone clicked on the advert on this forum ' breaking news, Clint's chilling last words' ?
I know he is not dead and I suspect it of being a link to a scam that tries to get money out of you. I have clicked on similar links on face book and found it tries to take over your computer and charge you money.
I am too scared to click on it to find out as I don't have a very good firewall and anti virus. I use Microsoft solutions.
There's ads on this forum? :dunno:

Immaculate Conception in Wellsville is an abandoned building. St. Ann's down on Pennsylvania Avenue is shut down. Both congregations no have been combined with St. Aloysius downtown and they now call the church Holy Trinity Roman Catholic. St. Blaise in Industry, PA is closed as a church, but open as a day care center.

There are fewer churches but more people seem to be going to church! Even though my own Trinity Presbyterian has merged with Long's Run Presbyterian there are more faces at Easter Pageant practice. The Northside Community Church two blocks west at Orchard Grove Avenue and St. Clair has congregants parking in front of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate every Sunday morning.

And, at the end of the day, I can't find a decent fish sandwich in a church basement anymore.

Immaculate Conception in Wellsville is an abandoned building. St. Ann's down on Pennsylvania Avenue is shut down. Both congregations no have been combined with St. Aloysius downtown and they now call the church Holy Trinity Roman Catholic. St. Blaise in Industry, PA is closed as a church, but open as a day care center.

There are fewer churches but more people seem to be going to church! Even though my own Trinity Presbyterian has merged with Long's Run Presbyterian there are more faces at Easter Pageant practice. The Northside Community Church two blocks west at Orchard Grove Avenue and St. Clair has congregants parking in front of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate every Sunday morning.

And, at the end of the day, I can't find a decent fish sandwich in a church basement anymore.

Foxy,

If you have Netflix I highly recommend The Crown. If you don't have Netflix, this is the reason to get it.

Let me be honest, I am a dyed in the wool Anglophile and would happily watch British documentaries on cheese making before most any other television. But The Crown is fascinating! The story of Elizabeth Windsor begins when she is a small girl and Princess. Her father, the king, is diagnosed with lung cancer and she will someday assume the throne.

Palace intrigue, romantic faux pas, international crisis all grounded in actual history, The Crown is a bimgeworthy series.

Oh and remember........

Star-Wars-PSA-1.jpg

Ya have to do what the rest of us do, pick one and start watching it......... If you like it then good, if not then that's okay also....... :D

Some that are rated great I find to be unwatchable, some that are rated poor I actually like, it's a matter of personal taste. :dunno:

My point was that I can recommend Altered Carbon on Netflix because I've seen it, whereas I have not watched any Amazon original sci-fi series, so I don't know if they have any good ones.

Oh and remember........

Star-Wars-PSA-1.jpg

My point was that I can recommend Altered Carbon on Netflix because I've seen it, whereas I have not watched any Amazon original sci-fi series, so I don't know if they have any good ones.
Can't tell ya, you might like ones I don't. I did like Expanse (TV series) and a couple of movies that were not that well rated, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets was one.

My grandnephew is turning nine early next month. He is the son of my sister-in-law's son. He was born just one year after Pop died. As my sainted grand uncles influenced me, I feel an obligation to influence him. I bought him juggling balls and yoyos for Christmas. I took him to see the Harlem Globetrotters in November. I taught him how to whistle and to avoid pulling my finger. These are the influences I would like to be responsible for. The whimsy, the goofy and the glee of being nine years old.

I ordered him some wee helicopters that rise and descend with a wave of the hand. At less than $8.00 each, I got him four of them. I figure if he can juggle balls, he can juggle these little helicopters. I also bought him a t shirt that says "I'd rather be farting".

Perhaps, one day while I enrich the soil at the cemetery, he will be writing about me as I write about the big Scottish blokes who put temptation before me as a wee bairn.

Last edited:

Oh and remember........

Star-Wars-PSA-1.jpg

Can't tell ya, you might like ones I don't. I did like Expanse (TV series) and a couple of movies that were not that well rated, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets was one.

I thought The Expanse was OK, but not good enough for me to keep watching past the first few episodes. I haven't even bothered watching Valerian, because I've heard so many bad things about it. :p

Oh and remember........

Star-Wars-PSA-1.jpg

I thought The Expanse was OK, but not good enough for me to keep watching past the first few episodes. I haven't even bothered watching Valerian, because I've heard so many bad things about it. :p
Hey, I liked Starship Troopers......... :lol:

I don't go by ratings that much as I've found things I like are not always what others like and vice versa.

I don't go by ratings that much as I've found things I like are not always what others like and vice versa.

You probably like "O Brother Where Art Thou?" (Hombre is the other one.)

Oh, Starship Troopers was garbage.....and not fun garbage, like Flash Gordon. :rofl:

Forum List

Back