USMB Coffee Shop IV

Strawberries were on sale........ so was whipped cream........ I love strawberry shortcake but hate the modern store bought cups they sell for it so mix up the dough and soon after there's biscuit shortcake ready to be consumed. :thup:

DXYx2O4XcAA8XHB.jpg

Strawberries were on sale........ so was whipped cream........ I love strawberry shortcake but hate the modern store bought cups they sell for it so mix up the dough and soon after there's biscuit shortcake ready to be consumed. :thup:
There is a Masonic Lodge in nearby Negley, Ohio that holds a strawberry festival every May (our strawberry season is substantially later). My sainted Uncle Alex was a big deal in Freemasonry. Every office, post, position, chair and honor, Alex held. So, during the private Masonic strawberry eating portion of the festival, Alex was always asked to stand and introduce himself.

"Alex Kidd, PM, GMSR, GRM, ILS!"

My brother Masons understood Past Master, Grand Master Scottish Rite and Grand Retired Master, but they were stumped on the ILS degree.

Alex would explain "I Love Strawberries!"

A disturbing trend here n the Crotch of the Tri-State area this Lenten season. There was at least one Roman Catholic Church and at least one Episcopal church in each town up and down the Ohio River from the point at Pittsburgh and the Roebling Bridge at Wheeling, West Virginia. But in the passed couple of years, many of those Catholic Churches have combined, closed and abandoned.

What does this have to do with me, a stark Presbyterian unmoved by ecclesiastical pageantry? Well, those churches would pull out all the stops during Lent and serve up the tastiest food. In a season known for privation and sacrifice, the women of those congregations would don their hair nets and staff the church basement kitchens. Fish sandwiches of ridiculous proportions where the filet overhangs the bun by eight or ten inches on both sides. Peirogies swimming in butter. Mounds of spaghetti and tossed salad. These were all for sale in the church basements. No one had to cook or make restaurant reservation no on Fridays during Lent.

But consolidation has swept those church ladies out of the kitchen and into the streets where they could get into all types of trouble. I don't know if there is some intramural politics going on when one congregation is forced to merge with another. I don't know if there was some order from the diocese to cease and desist the Lenten food sales. I do know I miss them!

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and rejoice when they return.

On March 7 in 1933 the board game Monopoly was invented.. How many hours did we spend buying, selling, mortgaging, counting, cheating?

final_fantasy_xiii_monopoly_board_by_bellatytus-d7qxb5s.jpg

A disturbing trend here n the Crotch of the Tri-State area this Lenten season. There was at least one Roman Catholic Church and at least one Episcopal church in each town up and down the Ohio River from the point at Pittsburgh and the Roebling Bridge at Wheeling, West Virginia. But in the passed couple of years, many of those Catholic Churches have combined, closed and abandoned.

What does this have to do with me, a stark Presbyterian unmoved by ecclesiastical pageantry? Well, those churches would pull out all the stops during Lent and serve up the tastiest food. In a season known for privation and sacrifice, the women of those congregations would don their hair nets and staff the church basement kitchens. Fish sandwiches of ridiculous proportions where the filet overhangs the bun by eight or ten inches on both sides. Peirogies swimming in butter. Mounds of spaghetti and tossed salad. These were all for sale in the church basements. No one had to cook or make restaurant reservation no on Fridays during Lent.

But consolidation has swept those church ladies out of the kitchen and into the streets where they could get into all types of trouble. I don't know if there is some intramural politics going on when one congregation is forced to merge with another. I don't know if there was some order from the diocese to cease and desist the Lenten food sales. I do know I miss them!
Different time, different culture. Church attendance is way down as is belief in a divine, the Me-llenials are part of it but it was the younger Boomers that showed the way so to speak.

Different time, different culture. Church attendance is way down as is belief in a divine, the Me-llenials are part of it but it was the younger Boomers that showed the way so to speak.
Immaculate Conception in Wellsville is an abandoned building. St. Ann's down on Pennsylvania Avenue is shut down. Both congregations no have been combined with St. Aloysius downtown and they now call the church Holy Trinity Roman Catholic. St. Blaise in Industry, PA is closed as a church, but open as a day care center.

There are fewer churches but more people seem to be going to church! Even though my own Trinity Presbyterian has merged with Long's Run Presbyterian there are more faces at Easter Pageant practice. The Northside Community Church two blocks west at Orchard Grove Avenue and St. Clair has congregants parking in front of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate every Sunday morning.

And, at the end of the day, I can't find a decent fish sandwich in a church basement anymore.

Immaculate Conception in Wellsville is an abandoned building. St. Ann's down on Pennsylvania Avenue is shut down. Both congregations no have been combined with St. Aloysius downtown and they now call the church Holy Trinity Roman Catholic. St. Blaise in Industry, PA is closed as a church, but open as a day care center.

There are fewer churches but more people seem to be going to church! Even though my own Trinity Presbyterian has merged with Long's Run Presbyterian there are more faces at Easter Pageant practice. The Northside Community Church two blocks west at Orchard Grove Avenue and St. Clair has congregants parking in front of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate every Sunday morning.

And, at the end of the day, I can't find a decent fish sandwich in a church basement anymore.

I think you're right. Church attendance doesn't seem to be suffering so much as there is much less loyalty to a particular congregation or sometimes even a denomination. Many small churches are giving up and the people are going to larger congregations who can afford dynamic preachers, great music, and visual aids as well as specific ministries to kids and special interests. I was just researching congregations of a specific denomination for a family member and found a church near her that seems to be small enough not to be overwhelming, but offers the full range of amenities dear to the more traditional sort. And they serve a full breakfast--not just coffee and donuts--after their early service and a full brunch after their mid morning service--the photos at their website were pretty impressive.

Don't know if you could get that great fish sandwich there though Nosmo.

I think you're right. Church attendance doesn't seem to be suffering so much as there is much less loyalty to a particular congregation or sometimes even a denomination. Many small churches are giving up and the people are going to larger congregations who can afford dynamic preachers, great music, and visual aids as well as specific ministries to kids and special interests. I was just researching congregations of a specific denomination for a family member and found a church near her that seems to be small enough not to be overwhelming, but offers the full range of amenities dear to the more traditional sort. And they serve a full breakfast--not just coffee and donuts--after their early service and a full brunch after their mid morning service--the photos at their website were pretty impressive.

Why Are Christian Numbers Dropping?

Millennials leaving church in droves, study says - CNN

America’s Changing Religious Landscape

Christianity Declining, Secularism Rising

The World's Newest Major Religion: No Religion

Ya'll forget, I'm a historian and sociologist, I still keep up with multiple demographic changes.

Ya'll forget, I'm a historian and sociologist, I still keep up with multiple demographic changes.

But your statistics don't include Albuquerque NM or East Liverpool OH specifically. :)

I judge these things about what I observe of friends, family, our neighbors, our church. (But I do appreciate that you are a sociologist and historian. So am I of sorts. Our daughter has a PhD in Sociology but I suppose osmosis doesn't help transfer any of that. :) )

But your statistics don't include Albuquerque NM or East Liverpool OH specifically. :)

I judge these things about what I observe of friends, family, our neighbors, our church. (But I do appreciate that you are a sociologist and historian. So am I of sorts. Our daughter has a PhD in Sociology but I suppose osmosis doesn't help transfer any of that. :) )
Specific local demographics are endemic to the local and not always representative of the larger picture, national and international in this case. Heck, El Paso is a hot bed of Papist heretics......, I was considering selling dispensations....... (that was a joke...., I was raised Roman Chatholic.....):D Besides it's not the first time we've moved towards the secular as a society but given history it wouldn't surprise me to see a Christian revival period somewhere down the road, we've experienced at least three major waves of religious revival since the early 18th century and a multitude of minor ones.

Specific local demographics are endemic to the local and not always representative of the larger picture, national and international in this case. Heck, El Paso is a hot bed of Papist heretics......, I was considering selling dispensations....... (that was a joke...., I was raised Roman Chatholic.....):D Besides it's not the first time we've moved towards the secular as a society but given history it wouldn't surprise me to see a Christian revival period somewhere down the road, we've experienced at least three major waves of religious revival since the early 18th century and a multitude of minor ones.

That's interesting because I write and sometimes teach adult curriculum on the development of Christian thought and how that has affected the Church in the world. And in doing some work on that this last month, I was just thinking that the west, here and abroad, is overdo for one of those major revival periods. Hope it happens while I'm still around to see it. Would be fascinating to watch.

Limited perspective is fascinating to me. I remember David Letterman had a feature on his old NBC show where tradesmen would review popular movies. A plumber reviewed Fatal Attraction and noted the scene in which Micheal Douglas drowned Glenn Close in the bathtub. "The overflow drain would never let that much water stay in the tub." was his terse review.

When I first saw All the President's Men in 1975 I saw a scene where Redford and Hoffmann walked into a building and immediately noticing the 9x9 vinyl floor tiles and identifying them as Asbestos Containing Building Materials.

Just as a rhinoceros' horn can alter an outlook, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Speaking of dangerous things, when Pop was just a little shaver, Uncle Ducky and Aunt Sis included him on a road trip vacation. It was the summer of 1941 and the last summer of peace in America. Ducky and Sis drove from East Liverpool to the wilds of the American west.

When they got to the entrance of Yellowstone National Park, Pop spied a billboard featuring a great beast with huge snarling fangs and claws that could tear human flesh from bones. A massive hairy beast without the familiar attributes of the cartoon nears my young father was familiar with. Above the picture of the bear were letters spelling out D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S

Pop timidly asked the park ranger, "Are there many of those dangeroos in the park?"

Limited perspective is fascinating to me. I remember David Letterman had a feature on his old NBC show where tradesmen would review popular movies. A plumber reviewed Fatal Attraction and noted the scene in which Micheal Douglas drowned Glenn Close in the bathtub. "The overflow drain would never let that much water stay in the tub." was his terse review.

When I first saw All the President's Men in 1975 I saw a scene where Redford and Hoffmann walked into a building and immediately noticing the 9x9 vinyl floor tiles and identifying them as Asbestos Containing Building Materials.

Just as a rhinoceros' horn can alter an outlook, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Speaking of dangerous things, when Pop was just a little shaver, Uncle Ducky and Aunt Sis included him on a road trip vacation. It was the summer of 1941 and the last summer of peace in America. Ducky and Sis drove from East Liverpool to the wilds of the American west.

When they got to the entrance of Yellowstone National Park, Pop spied a billboard featuring a great beast with huge snarling fangs and claws that could tear human flesh from bones. A massive hairy beast without the familiar attributes of the cartoon nears my young father was familiar with. Above the picture of the bear were letters spelling out D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S

Pop timidly asked the park ranger, "Are there many of those dangeroos in the park?"

:)

Try watching a disaster movie with our engineer son. One of my favorites--for reasons unknown even to me--is an obscure low budget B movie entitled "Killer Flood: The Day the Dam Broke." Much of the movie is devoted to the internal workings of a large dam abutting a small town in Vermont as it fails and the efforts of the architect/structural engineer (Joe Lando) and his teenage son to delay its collapse to give his wife and acting mayor time to evacuate the town.

Showing the movie to my son invited a running commentary on all the technical problems with what the movie showed was happening vs the real world of engineering. It was even worse viewing the movie "Twister" in which even I could identify the technical problems. :)

I keep one box of Bisquick for just such contingencies. :) Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorites too, though if I have time I will bake a pound cake from scratch.

I keep one box of Bisquick for just such contingencies. :) Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorites too, though if I have time I will bake a pound cake from scratch.
I hate Bisquick........ :dunno:

I hate Bisquick........ :dunno:

Used creatively it does save time and can create some really good stuff. For the most part I prefer to make most things from scratch, but in a pinch or when in a hurry. . .

Forum List

Back