USMB Coffee Shop IV

I think I just figured out why today is so weird. We are in a full moon that peaked last night. It was the first of two full moons in March and has the creepy title of the 'worm moon.' The term is due to the beginning of the winter thaw and the earthworms become undormant that invites the return of the robins (that were pretty much here all winter anyway.)

Other names are the 'crow moon' when the cawing of crows signal the end of winter or the crust moon because the snow becomes crusted from thawing by day and freezing at night.

I remember back to my hospital days when the doctors and nurses were so convinced of the effects of the full moon that both E.R. and the obstetrics ward put on extra staff those nights. The scientists probably would pooh pooh that but the hospital staff had the experience. :)

I think I just figured out why today is so weird. We are in a full moon that peaked last night. It was the first of two full moons in March and has the creepy title of the 'worm moon.' The term is due to the beginning of the winter thaw and the earthworms become undormant that invites the return of the robins (that were pretty much here all winter anyway.)

Other names are the 'crow moon' when the cawing of crows signal the end of winter or the crust moon because the snow becomes crusted from thawing by day and freezing at night.

I remember back to my hospital days when the doctors and nurses were so convinced of the effects of the full moon that both E.R. and the obstetrics ward put on extra staff those nights. The scientists probably would pooh pooh that but the hospital staff had the experience. :)

Crow moon sounds a lot better than worm moon. :lol:

Crow moon sounds a lot better than worm moon. :lol:

I agree. :)

The night of the full moon is usually fairly sedate, it's the waxing and waning that typically makes many people nuts......... well, more nuttier than usual.

The night of the full moon is usually fairly sedate, it's the waxing and waning that typically makes many people nuts......... well, more nuttier than usual.

You think? I think my hospital colleagues would disagree but then they were scheduling for people who go to the hospital and not necessarily those who are nuts. :) (Our M.D. friend Dana says it is an absolute fact too, but I have just made mental notes myself and haven't done any independent research.)

You think? I think my hospital colleagues would disagree but then they were scheduling for people who go to the hospital and not necessarily those who are nuts. :) (Our M.D. friend Dana says it is an absolute fact too, but I have just made mental notes myself and haven't done any independent research.)
There have actually been studies which show no increase in ER visits on the night of a full moon suggesting the perceived increase may be a result of Perception Expectation.
My personal observations over the last couple of decades show an increase of individual behavior, aggressive/assertive personalities become more aggressive/assertive, passive/cautious individuals become more passive/cautious during the waxing and waning but not the night of the full moon. Many scientists claim the moon's gravitational pull isn't strong enough to affect humans yet look what it does to the oceans and remember the human body is on average 65% water........, the brain comprises up to73%
My hypothisis is that when the moon is completely full the force is constant but as it is waxing and waning the force is in flux creating fluctuation in our body's brain chemistry.

There have actually been studies which show no increase in ER visits on the night of a full moon suggesting the perceived increase may be a result of Perception Expectation.
My personal observations over the last couple of decades show an increase of individual behavior, aggressive/assertive personalities become more aggressive/assertive, passive/cautious individuals become more passive/cautious during the waxing and waning but not the night of the full moon. Many scientists claim the moon's gravitational pull isn't strong enough to affect humans yet look what it does to the oceans and remember the human body is on average 65% water........, the brain comprises up to73%
My hypothisis is that when the moon is completely full the force is constant but as it is waxing and waning the force is in flux creating fluctuation in our body's brain chemistry.

If the moon affected us in a similar fashion to the tides, wouldn't these sorts of changes happen more often, rather than just on or around the full moon? And doesn't the sun affect tides as well?

If the moon affected us in a similar fashion to the tides, wouldn't these sorts of changes happen more often, rather than just on or around the full moon? And doesn't the sun affect tides as well?
It's it's quite possible my hypothesis is completely wrong or only partially correct. What if anything does the added light reflected from the moon affect us? Is it the combination of the gravitational effect and the additional or type of light, is it simply the kind of light alone. Taking the possible "light effect" and actual gravitational effect into account I would be more than willing to rescind my full moon/gravitational hypothesis and consider only the reflected light effect which I do not believe has ever been addressed though I could be mistaken. Do we really know how different forms of light affect out behavior? We do know that different colors affect us in different ways and what is color but reflected light........
As for the sun affecting the tides the effect is minimal compared to the moon.

It's it's quite possible my hypothesis is completely wrong or only partially correct. What if anything does the added light reflected from the moon affect us? Is it the combination of the gravitational effect and the additional or type of light, is it simply the kind of light alone. Taking the possible "light effect" and actual gravitational effect into account I would be more than willing to rescind my full moon/gravitational hypothesis and consider only the reflected light effect which I do not believe has ever been addressed though I could be mistaken. Do we really know how different forms of light affect out behavior? We do know that different colors affect us in different ways and what is color but reflected light........
As for the sun affecting the tides the effect is minimal compared to the moon.

I don't even know if there's any real evidence that behavior changes during the full moon, or if there is a difference in types of full moon, or if the full moon is visible or not, etc. etc. Even if there are behavioral changes, there's always the possibility that such changes are due to perceptions and expectations about the full moon rather than any real effect it has on people.

Then again, maybe it really does make people crazy. :lol:

Today I seem pulled in all different directions. Have to plan our Sunday lunch with Betty and Dana tomorrow and do some shopping for that, trying to figure out volunteer and doctor appointment schedules etc. to have everything settled when we go to Arkansas next month, trying to work out logistics on that trip to accommodate everybody involved, my sister remains in the rehab hospital while they try to get her straightened out after her heart attack and that isn't going real well plus the hospital is downtown and pretty traumatic even trying to get to it. And we still have a mess of boxes in the bedroom that need to be gone through,sorted, stuff thrown away etc. and I'm not feeling the mood to do some necessary cleaning.

I feel like this:
28783189_10214290182065834_2122946487740662529_n.jpg

I am sorry about your sister. Is she going to stay with family now?

Today I seem pulled in all different directions. Have to plan our Sunday lunch with Betty and Dana tomorrow and do some shopping for that, trying to figure out volunteer and doctor appointment schedules etc. to have everything settled when we go to Arkansas next month, trying to work out logistics on that trip to accommodate everybody involved, my sister remains in the rehab hospital while they try to get her straightened out after her heart attack and that isn't going real well plus the hospital is downtown and pretty traumatic even trying to get to it. And we still have a mess of boxes in the bedroom that need to be gone through,sorted, stuff thrown away etc. and I'm not feeling the mood to do some necessary cleaning.

I feel like this:

We hope she can get well enough to return to the assisted living facility where she has been really happy for the most part. They regulate her meds, make sure she gets three square a day, and is okay. I can no longer handle her for various reasons, our aunt is 91 years old and no way she can and all her kids and grand kids have full time jobs and she can't be alone during the day. It is a problem. So any positive vibes/thoughts or prayers can go her/our way will be much appreciated.

I feel like this:

We hope she can get well enough to return to the assisted living facility where she has been really happy for the most part. They regulate her meds, make sure she gets three square a day, and is okay. I can no longer handle her for various reasons, our aunt is 91 years old and no way she can and all her kids and grand kids have full time jobs and she can't be alone during the day. It is a problem. So any positive vibes/thoughts or prayers can go her/our way will be much appreciated.

I m praying for her health restored and to be able to get back the assisted living where she is happy and well cared for. She has God taking care of her. :smiliehug:

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and rejoice when they return.

March forth and do something day.
8e2494f2d874d8785f45a5fe3b14ffe4.jpg

Forum List

Back