USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm already following you so can't follow you again. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I have any followers or, if I do, the number is probably single digits. Most of the people I follow are politicians or well known personalities and it is those folks who get many thousands of followers. People like me posting on Twitter is like being completely alone and shouting into the empty canyon. So I rarely post. But I do read in fairly often.

Message boards are more intimate, that is for sure. Twitter and FB are too big.

The only friends I have on Facebook though are family--we have a LOT of family scattered all over the country--and friends and colleagues from over the years also scattered all over the country and abroad, so it's mostly just one big happy family on FB. We set our friend categories and news feed to optimize the posts we see, so we keep up with those we care about pretty well. There are a few extraneous 'friends' on the list--politicians and some game friends we took on when we first joined years ago and such--but most of the posts we see are folks we know and care about.

I took a long time before I used Facebook, and in the end, it started as a way to get in touch with an old friend I hadn't heard from in many years. I have family and acquaintances I am not friends with because I don't really speak to them IRL, and don't feel a need to just add people to my Facebook friends list for the sake of it. I mostly use it to keep some degree of contact with people who I don't live near, which is almost everyone I know. :lol:

It's also been great for talking about fantasy football with a group of friends that have been doing that for more than a decade; sadly, it looks like this past year was probably the last one we'll be doing our FF league. :(

Well if you are high and dry come fall and need a league, there would likely be room in ours. It isn't a very chatty league though--not what you would call a very social group--but we'll see how it goes. No guarantee ours will re-up this fall either.

Or I wonder if there would be sufficient interest to have a Coffee Shop League? I need somebody more savvy than me to set it up though.

While I will almost certainly be involved in multiple FF leagues, I would always be more than happy to join another should you need someone. I certainly appreciate the offer.

I have a couple of other FF leagues I do with friends, but by far the oldest of them, made up almost entirely of older, closer friends, is the one likely to be ending. I have another league with friends I've been doing for a few years now, as well as a league made by someone I met through a different political message board quite a few years ago, and that league has been going on for quite a while. I also usually end up joining at least 1 or 2 random leagues with strangers.

There has been a USMB league in at least 2 different years that I've been in. It's been hit or miss with that; getting enough people interested, keeping interest throughout the season, etc. I'd love to do a Coffee Shop league, but I don't think we have enough NFL fans, let alone fantasy football fans, for that, do we?

Since we're talking football in the Coffee Shop:
49erscoast.jpg

We probably don't. And in all truth I would like to stay with my existing league if they go again this fall. It was just a thought if anybody would be interested in seeing if there was sufficient interest and setting it up.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and rejoice when they return.

cloud_beam_possibilities.jpg

Britain is inundated with snow, and even I am house bound unless I want to struggle through it to get food, but I have enough food for two day,s so I am going to wait for the thaw, which they say will be over the weekend.

Message boards are more intimate, that is for sure. Twitter and FB are too big.

The only friends I have on Facebook though are family--we have a LOT of family scattered all over the country--and friends and colleagues from over the years also scattered all over the country and abroad, so it's mostly just one big happy family on FB. We set our friend categories and news feed to optimize the posts we see, so we keep up with those we care about pretty well. There are a few extraneous 'friends' on the list--politicians and some game friends we took on when we first joined years ago and such--but most of the posts we see are folks we know and care about.

I took a long time before I used Facebook, and in the end, it started as a way to get in touch with an old friend I hadn't heard from in many years. I have family and acquaintances I am not friends with because I don't really speak to them IRL, and don't feel a need to just add people to my Facebook friends list for the sake of it. I mostly use it to keep some degree of contact with people who I don't live near, which is almost everyone I know. :lol:

It's also been great for talking about fantasy football with a group of friends that have been doing that for more than a decade; sadly, it looks like this past year was probably the last one we'll be doing our FF league. :(

Well if you are high and dry come fall and need a league, there would likely be room in ours. It isn't a very chatty league though--not what you would call a very social group--but we'll see how it goes. No guarantee ours will re-up this fall either.

Or I wonder if there would be sufficient interest to have a Coffee Shop League? I need somebody more savvy than me to set it up though.

While I will almost certainly be involved in multiple FF leagues, I would always be more than happy to join another should you need someone. I certainly appreciate the offer.

I have a couple of other FF leagues I do with friends, but by far the oldest of them, made up almost entirely of older, closer friends, is the one likely to be ending. I have another league with friends I've been doing for a few years now, as well as a league made by someone I met through a different political message board quite a few years ago, and that league has been going on for quite a while. I also usually end up joining at least 1 or 2 random leagues with strangers.

There has been a USMB league in at least 2 different years that I've been in. It's been hit or miss with that; getting enough people interested, keeping interest throughout the season, etc. I'd love to do a Coffee Shop league, but I don't think we have enough NFL fans, let alone fantasy football fans, for that, do we?

49erscoast.jpg

We probably don't. And in all truth I would like to stay with my existing league if they go again this fall. It was just a thought if anybody would be interested in seeing if there was sufficient interest and setting it up.

I've never played fantasy football. I'm not one for betting usually. I am more along the lines of "I have no idea what is going, anything could happen" mindset. :D

We are in the midst of a nor' easter. Just wind and rain. It is too warm for snow.

Current weather for my area . . .

Rain starting in the morning and dangerously windy starting in the afternoon.

35˚ 11pm → 44˚ 2pm

sunrise.png
6:19am
sunset.png
5:37pm

Rain 2.7 in

49erscoast.jpg

I've never played fantasy football. I'm not one for betting usually. I am more along the lines of "I have no idea what is going, anything could happen" mindset. :D

I've only played FF for money once. It went poorly, and I decided not to do it again. I just play for fun. :)

We are in the midst of a nor' easter. Just wind and rain. It is too warm for snow.

35˚ 11pm → 44˚ 2pm

sunrise.png
sunset.png

Rain 2.7 in

Keep safe. Flash floods and dangerous winds are not something to wish for for sure. My niece in Louisville recently posted pictures of downtown Louisville completely flooded--several feet up on the buildings. The Ohio River flooded plus a lot of rain.

And I wish we were getting some of the snow/rain/anything wet. Dangerous storm through the midwest today and Peach and Drifter are southwest of us and getting snow. But the sun is shining and not a cloud in the sky in any direction here today--we didn't need any kind of jacket when we went out for a late lunch just now.

The daffodils were blooming in Corrales last Thursday and are now opening up here too--we're a thousand feet or so higher than they are.

Great ! there is no one keeping me awake tonight, I just can't sleep. I have been awake for three hours and now its five am I decided to give up and do some web surfing. The snow is melting outside so at least I might get down to the shop for food today. Yesterday I took one look outside and decide to stay in the warm.
There are ten foot snow drifts in some parts of the country and flooding is predicted when it melts.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and rejoice when they return.

Spring is coming. . . .
crocus.jpg

35˚ 11pm → 44˚ 2pm

sunrise.png
sunset.png

Rain 2.7 in

Keep safe. Flash floods and dangerous winds are not something to wish for for sure. My niece in Louisville recently posted pictures of downtown Louisville completely flooded--several feet up on the buildings. The Ohio River flooded plus a lot of rain.

And I wish we were getting some of the snow/rain/anything wet. Dangerous storm through the midwest today and Peach and Drifter are southwest of us and getting snow. But the sun is shining and not a cloud in the sky in any direction here today--we didn't need any kind of jacket when we went out for a late lunch just now.

The daffodils were blooming in Corrales last Thursday and are now opening up here too--we're a thousand feet or so higher than they are.

Thanks. Most of our city lost power last night but we kept ours thankfully. There were a few small branches in my yard this morning, and that is about the most excitement this storm brought for me. :D Unfortunately, it was pretty difficult to find an open Dunkin Donuts this morning. Most of them lost power and were still closed up this morning. After going to about 7, I finally found one though. Ahhhhh. Good morning! :)

iu

I finally went to bed at 8am and got up at 3pm. While I was asleep all the snow on the streets melted so I went and got my food. If I had gone to the shops yesterday I would have had to struggle through slush and face snow and icy winds. Looks like the cold spell in Britain is over.

I finally went to bed at 8am and got up at 3pm. While I was asleep all the snow on the streets melted so I went and got my food. If I had gone to the shops yesterday I would have had to struggle through slush and face snow and icy winds. Looks like the cold spell in Britain is over.

And unless you too are dealing with drought as we are, that is a good thing. :)

35˚ 11pm → 44˚ 2pm

sunrise.png
sunset.png

Rain 2.7 in

Thanks. Most of our city lost power last night but we kept ours thankfully. There were a few small branches in my yard this morning, and that is about the most excitement this storm brought for me. :D Unfortunately, it was pretty difficult to find an open Dunkin Donuts this morning. Most of them lost power and were still closed up this morning. After going to about 7, I finally found one though. Ahhhhh. Good morning! :)

iu

Happy you dodged the bullet this time. Losing power is a bummer under the best circumstances but much more so when it is cold or really hot.

But all I can say is you wanted a Dunkin Donuts coffee really bad this morning. :)

The other day when my Aunt Betty (age 91) and I were taking my shirttail cousin (Uncle Ed's niece) to the train station to go home after an extended visit, we had about an hour to kill. Aunt Betty suggested we get coffee somewhere--they have no such amenities at our Amtrak station. So when I spotted a Starbucks enroute, we pulled in. Aunt Betty was treating and she ordered a caramel frappuccino. I told them make it two though I had never had anything at Starbucks other than a cappuccino.

Though such things at Starbucks are ridiculously expensive, I have to admit that was about the best thing I've had in awhile. Sooooooo good.

Never mind a drought, I just tried to make a cup of tea and the water has gone off. I rang my water supplier and they said its a broken water main. I hope they fix it soon or I will have to get bottled water.

Never mind a drought, I just tried to make a cup of tea and the water has gone off. I rang my water supplier and they said its a broken water main. I hope they fix it soon or I will have to get bottled water.

Not having water is the pits. Up on the mountain if we lost power we didn't have the furnace--it ran on propane but needed electricity to fire it up--or water as our pump would be out. We did have a Strader insert in the fireplace though and that would keep the living area nice and warm and keep the whole house from freezing. And we usually had enough snow on the ground to melt it in the bathtub to use to flush the toilets though we did learn to bottle a lot of tap water ahead of the storms just in case. The snow up there is so dry it takes a ton of it to melt to get a single gallon of water. But that means it is really light too so it doesn't damage roofs or trees.

Today I seem pulled in all different directions. Have to plan our Sunday lunch with Betty and Dana tomorrow and do some shopping for that, trying to figure out volunteer and doctor appointment schedules etc. to have everything settled when we go to Arkansas next month, trying to work out logistics on that trip to accommodate everybody involved, my sister remains in the rehab hospital while they try to get her straightened out after her heart attack and that isn't going real well plus the hospital is downtown and pretty traumatic even trying to get to it. And we still have a mess of boxes in the bedroom that need to be gone through,sorted, stuff thrown away etc. and I'm not feeling the mood to do some necessary cleaning.

I feel like this:
28783189_10214290182065834_2122946487740662529_n.jpg

Forum List

Back