USMB Coffee Shop IV

I love cherries and ice cream. :)

safe_Cherries_&_Ice_Cream_3.jpg

But really, if you are serving cherries with ice cream wouldn't you want to enjoy a bite of cherry with the ice cream? And wouldn't you take the stems off the ice cream when you put the dish together?

Good morning all. And yeah, if I am going to paint, I want to do it with a roller. And I can't imagine not taping as the results would be pretty awful if I didn't.

Happy Friday everybody. It is ll:35 a.m. in New Mexico and we just finished breakfast. But it's Friday so its all good.

I don't mind admitting to being an amateur when it comes to painting. What I have discovered though is that the painting pads are infinitely superior to both brushes and rollers. I can lay down a first coat with finished edges in the about 2/3rds of the time and then add a final coat in the same time a single brush or roller coat would take. They make a huge difference in my opinion but I have no doubt that experienced painters would probably disagree. :D

The pads are fine as long as their not overloaded with paint. Since most paint is water based a couple of good sponges and a bucket of water is great for wiping off over spread (little mistakes).

One of the other problems I'm dealing with is the walls in my parent's house are textured, kind of a swirl pattern which I don't like so I'm considering smoothing some walls and doing a knock down (rough adobe) texture on others. That's a lot of work which is why I'm seriously debating whether or not to do it.

Agreed, learning to load just the right amount of paint on the pad is the secret to success. Once I figured that out I was off and running. :)

I abhor textured walls. If was me I would rip them out and replace them with drywall as being quicker and easier. I have done that on a couple of rehab/upgrades in bathrooms and kitchens. The effort to refinish what was in place exceeded the time to remove and replace and I did a better job with the replacement that the original install. :D

I used to build and remodel residential and commercial before the body started going south. I can float a wall in a half hour, a room in one and a half hours (corners are easier doing the whole room).
As for textured I like the knock down (Santa Fe) adobe look. With paint I hit it with the base color then take my accent color, mix with glaze, a large bucket of water with a grout sponge, roll on a section of the accent then wipe off with the sponge. The accent color stays in the crevasses, pits and creases.
For example I'll use a light terra cotta as my base color and a purplish taupe as the accent. Gives depth to the textured wall.

Last edited:
High pressure is building back in here so the heat will return with a vengeance this weekend with much less, if any, chance for rain. So as to not violate the sanctity of the PM, to the one who inquired about our flooding here, we have had flash flood watches and warnings almost every hour on the hour for days now, but those usually apply to the arroyos, low spot on highways, minor streams etc. and so far as I know there has not been any other serious flooding, no property damage, etc. But will look forward to hopefully the return of the rain and cooler temps in a few days.

Just got back from Stuff-Mart, broke down and gave in...... Italian and French bread on sale for a buck a loaf....... It's a rare treat because I could sit down with a loaf of French or Italian bread, a pound or two of butter and pig out on a nearly daily basis.
Not going to do that but it could happen!

On this day in history in:

1940 - 1st successful helicopter flight in Stratford, Connecticut

th

1980 - Billy Joel's "Glass Houses" album topped the charts. His "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" from that album was at the top of the singles charts for like forever that year.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eAQa4MOGkE]Billy Joel - It's Still Rock and Roll to Me - YouTube[/ame]

1994 - the comet Shoemaker-Levy crashed into Jupiter. So far as we know, Jupiter didn't mind it so much. The same day Crayola introduced scented crayons. I don't believe there is any connection between these two events, however.

2011 - Phoenix is hit by a massive haboob so amazing the Weather Channel still shows pics of it almost every week.

article-2179556-143C01F6000005DC-417_964x640.jpg

Last edited:
On this day in history in:

1940 - 1st successful helicopter flight in Stratford, Connecticut

th

1980 - Billy Joel's "Glass Houses" album topped the charts. His "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" from that album was at the top of the singles charts for like forever that year.

Billy Joel - It's Still Rock and Roll to Me - YouTube

1994 - the comet Shoemaker-Levy crashed into Jupiter. So far as we know, Jupiter didn't mind it so much. The same day Crayola introduced scented crayons. I don't believe there is any connection between these two events, however.

2011 - Phoenix is hit by a massive haboob so amazing the Weather Channel still shows pics of it almost every week.

article-2179556-143C01F6000005DC-417_964x640.jpg

Funny how nature has a way of showing us she's still the boss........ :eusa_whistle:

Especially inside a pie ... :thup:
blackberry-pie-b.jpg

Yeah, I like blueberry pie too.

images

Good stuff.

Yes it is and I would like mine nuked for a minute or so and then place a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top and watch as it begins it's melting journey down the sides, just waiting to be devoured.

I <3 my fantasies....;)
I know what you mean, AquaAthena. For me, my preferred pie (and dessert for that matter) is warm homemade apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top (a la mode). Problem is the pies smell so good when they're in the oven, that I can't resist sneaking a slice while they're cooling off on the counter prior to dinner.

I take Mrs. Bloods Altima to get it serviced and inspected. There are no warning lights on. Guy starts it up takes it into the service bay comes in the waiting room and tells me I have a check engine light and it can't be inspected until I replace a sensor. I'm thinking WTF. NEVER had a warning light and the moment I want to get it inspected all of a sudden I need a sensor that costs $285 bucks. What are the odds?
Don't fall for it, Bloodrock. Get a scanner and see if you really have a faulty sensor. Mrs. Jughead used to have similar issues when taking my truck, or hers to the service station. I finally decided to invest in a scanner, so when I have issues like check engine light, rough idle, lack of power ... I just connect the scanner and diagnose the problem myself before even taking the vehicle to my mechanic. One time after I did a tune up on my vehicle, I noticed that the truck would stall intermittently as I was slowing down. I hooked up the scanner and got a code that one of the spark plugs was not connected. I checked, and sure enough I had forgotten to tighten one of the spark plugs ... :D. I still routinely hookup my scanner to make sure I have no codes on either vehicle.

I may have mentioned this before; that scanner technology is the same as what we have on our airplanes, except the problems are displayed in clear text instead of mysterious "check engine" signals. Any discrepancy is first displayed on a screen where the flight crew can see what it is. Then, there is a part of the computer system accessible to maintenance personnel that gives more details about the problem. We also have the ability to troubleshoot and ground test most problems displayed, as well as pull up detailed performance parameters (snapshots) that may also indicate where our problem is. To get that kind of detail on a vehicle, you have to invest thousands of dollars in the proper technology, as many dealerships and automotive shops have done. Many of the smaller scanners are useful but leave out a lot of detail. Kinda nice to know those auto shops have you by the nads when it comes to interpreting those nagging little messages, isn't it? Most places around here charge just to hook you up to find out what the problem might be.
I would recommend getting a second opinion, if you can.
yup, at first I had to search online when the scanner picked up a fault code, but I subsequently printed out a list for both my vehicles, and I just refer to my hard copy when a new code comes up. I've been lucky lately, haven't had a fault code since last year.

Don't fall for it, Bloodrock. Get a scanner and see if you really have a faulty sensor. Mrs. Jughead used to have similar issues when taking my truck, or hers to the service station. I finally decided to invest in a scanner, so when I have issues like check engine light, rough idle, lack of power ... I just connect the scanner and diagnose the problem myself before even taking the vehicle to my mechanic. One time after I did a tune up on my vehicle, I noticed that the truck would stall intermittently as I was slowing down. I hooked up the scanner and got a code that one of the spark plugs was not connected. I checked, and sure enough I had forgotten to tighten one of the spark plugs ... :D. I still routinely hookup my scanner to make sure I have no codes on either vehicle.

I may have mentioned this before; that scanner technology is the same as what we have on our airplanes, except the problems are displayed in clear text instead of mysterious "check engine" signals. Any discrepancy is first displayed on a screen where the flight crew can see what it is. Then, there is a part of the computer system accessible to maintenance personnel that gives more details about the problem. We also have the ability to troubleshoot and ground test most problems displayed, as well as pull up detailed performance parameters (snapshots) that may also indicate where our problem is. To get that kind of detail on a vehicle, you have to invest thousands of dollars in the proper technology, as many dealerships and automotive shops have done. Many of the smaller scanners are useful but leave out a lot of detail. Kinda nice to know those auto shops have you by the nads when it comes to interpreting those nagging little messages, isn't it? Most places around here charge just to hook you up to find out what the problem might be.
I would recommend getting a second opinion, if you can.

Most auto parts stores will read the code for you for free.
yup. I would go to Auto Zone before I got my scanner ...

Hi folks. I have been away for a while. Come back and I am just pissed off right away. I wish I could say why. I am just about done with this place except for the few people who are still here.

That's true. I used to work on my vehicles a lot more, still do work on the older stuff (Jeep, tractor, old Chevy). I can still do a lot of regular maintenance, too. But some things require care so you don't mess up the damned computers. For example, my new truck has pressure sensors in the wheels, comes with a load of "thou shalt not" caveats for what should or shouldn't be done. With the back up camera, even taking the tailgate off becomes a major operation. At least I know my limitations on a B747!

I know my limitations too. I stick with what I know I can do and leave the stuff I am likely to mess up to the professionals. As someone who grew up resetting points and plugs every weekend so that the car would start on Monday morning I know that things today are very different. However one of the smartest things I ever did in the 1970's was to fit one of cars out with a Heathkit electronic ignition system. This required soldering the transistors, etc to the motherboard first and then fitting it to the vehicle and making the necessary adjustments to get it to run smoothly.

Never failed to start after that and I never reset the points again. However I sent it in for an oil change and they billed me for new points and plugs. So asked them to produce the old parts. The grease monkey (and yes, that is a very apt description of him) came in from the back with some old champion plugs and dumped them on the counter. I asked him what plug gap he set them to and he said 25 thou. That was when I told the manager that my car has Lodge plugs set to 40 thou and the car won't run properly at 25 thou. I tore up the bill and walked out of there never to return.
They do this all the time, trying to pull a fast one by charging you for work they haven't done. For instance when folks bring their vehicles in for say an oil change and fuel injection service, they will change the oil, but they may not necessarily clean the fuel injectors. They will still charge for it of course. It's best to be there when they are doing this work.

I love cherries and ice cream. :)

safe_Cherries_&_Ice_Cream_3.jpg

But really, if you are serving cherries with ice cream wouldn't you want to enjoy a bite of cherry with the ice cream? And wouldn't you take the stems off the ice cream when you put the dish together?

Yes....you are a very practical woman. :) I guess the photographer thought it looked prettier in the pic....stems and all.

Forum List

Back