USMB Coffee Shop IV

June's full strawberry moon is named for the fact that it's the best time of the year for ripening strawberries, and it also has a couple of names in the Honey Moon, Mead Moon and the Full Rose Moon. We will see it Wednesday night into Thursday morning with the added treat of Saturn at its closest point to Earth so that it will be the brightest 'star' close to the full moon--look for it just below the and to the side of the moon--probably on the right side though..
screen%20shot%202014-05-12%20at%203.53.42%20pm.png

Thank you for that info. The nearly full moon has been shining so brightly through my window I don't need a night light in the wee hours. Peeked through the blinds and noticed the 'star' chasing the moon from the east, on the left down here, but gave it little thought and went back to sleep.

June's full strawberry moon is named for the fact that it's the best time of the year for ripening strawberries, and it also has a couple of names in the Honey Moon, Mead Moon and the Full Rose Moon. We will see it Wednesday night into Thursday morning with the added treat of Saturn at its closest point to Earth so that it will be the brightest 'star' close to the full moon--look for it just below the and to the side of the moon--probably on the right side though..

Thank you for that info. The nearly full moon has been shining so brightly through my window I don't need a night light in the wee hours. Peeked through the blinds and noticed the 'star' chasing the moon from the east, on the left down here, but gave it little thought and went back to sleep.

The universe full of heavenly bodies out there has always fascinated me. Even the moon, despite its intrusion by humankind, has not lost its mystique for me. Hombre is unenthusiastic about the possibility of more manned space missions seeing no point, no advantage. But I am a huge fan of doing that. I always thought that I should be on the Enterprise crew out there in space exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, boldly going where no man (or woman) has gone before.

The universe full of heavenly bodies out there has always fascinated me. Even the moon, despite its intrusion by humankind, has not lost its mystique for me. Hombre is unenthusiastic about the possibility of more manned space missions seeing no point, no advantage. But I am a huge fan of doing that. I always thought that I should be on the Enterprise crew out there in space exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, boldly going where no man (or woman) has gone before.

:D

That's awesome!! When you go, glance out a porthole now and then and wave to me.

I'll be the one sitting by the edge of a turquoise sea in the shade of a coconut palm sipping on an icy cold libation - something with pineapple and coconut, I believe, topped with one of those colorful little paper umbrellas, and a fresh fruit skewer on the side.

(I'm skeered a' heights - sand dunes near sea level are high enough for me - anything taller gives me a nose bleed.) ;)

:D

That's awesome!! When you go, glance out a porthole now and then and wave to me.

I'll be the one sitting by the edge of a turquoise sea in the shade of a coconut palm sipping on an icy cold libation - something with pineapple and coconut, I believe, topped with one of those colorful little paper umbrellas, and a fresh fruit skewer on the side.

(I'm skeered a' heights - sand dunes near sea level are high enough for me - anything taller gives me a nose bleed.) ;)

I'm not good with heights either--I have always said I get a nose bleed three rungs up on a ladder. But somehow flying (in an airplane) doesn't bother me and I do okay on a ferris wheel or ski lift or on top floors of tall buildings or on our tram here or just standing at an overlook at a sturdy rail enjoying the scenery. But on the edge of a cliff or other high situation without a railing or being out on a high bridge even with railing, I am very uncomfortable. It feels like some invisible force pulling me over and generates the closest thing I ever have to a panic attack. So I avoid such situations.

Last edited:

I used to stare at the stars and ache with wondering what was out there when I was a boy. I followed the space program with great interest from sputnik one through to all the American rockets to the moon. I saved the newspaper front pages from the moon landings, and I still have them.

I am very pleased that president Trump is planning more moon missions and sending men to mars.
I really disliked Obama for cutting NASA down.

In the end, if we do not reach other inhabitable worlds and colonise them the human race will become extinct.

I used to stare at the stars and ache with wondering what was out there when I was a boy. I followed the space program with great interest from sputnik one through to all the American rockets to the moon. I saved the newspaper front pages from the moon landings, and I still have them.

I am very pleased that president Trump is planning more moon missions and sending men to mars.

In the end, if we do not reach other inhabitable worlds and colonise them the human race will become extinct.

While we need to be really careful not to get into politics on this, I agree that I am excited at the prospect of renewing our manned space exploration. We need it to maintain the Hubble which in my opinion is absolutely wonderful and worthy of restoring to its former usefulness. And we need to be able to get our people back and forth from the international space station without being dependent on others to do that. And as they are learning how to achieve warp+ speeds in space, the potential for long distance exploration is becoming more and more possible all the time. Maybe not in my lifetime. But surely in that of my granddaughter or the generation following it?

I don't understand why Hombre thinks all that a huge waste of time, resources, and money. But then he has never read the great science fiction literature or never got into the sci-fi genre on TV and in the movies--fantasy and imaginative scenarios just aren't his thing--so that probably accounts for it. That and being really fiscally conservative. :)

I blacked out at 2.5 g's on the Mission: Space ride at Epcot. As I was the navigator, we crashed and burned in spectacular fashion.

The universe full of heavenly bodies out there has always fascinated me...

I used to stare at the stars and ache with wondering what was out there when I was a boy...

All right my space loving Coffee Shop friends, I wrote a poem about 11 years ago after a friend accused me of going on 'flights of fancy' when discussing politics...in the middle of the following night, A Midnight Journey was born. So from one with feet firmly planted on earth to those who'd travel to the stars...no spaceship needed...Enjoy! (disclaimer - the order of things is not entirely accurate)

Loose'ng the slender chains
that bind this mortal soul,
embark on a flight of fancy...
the heavens are my goal.

Wrap'd in the velvet cloak of night
with stardust in my hair,
I tiptoe up a moonbeam...
to kiss a dancing bear.

The hunter with a diamond belt
beckons me to his side.
We waltz across the Milky Way...
where the dreams of man abide.

I gaily wave to the lonely star
who guides the sailor home,
and curtsy to a lovely queen...
reclining upon her throne.

At the dwelling place of the sisters
I'm invited in for tea.
As I daintily sip from a gossamer cup...
a lion lies next to me.

Tightly I hold to Mercury's wings
as we travel through the night.
A cross made of stars to the South...
to the North a rainbow of light.

When Venus makes her appearance,
dawn will be coming soon.
There's only time for one last jig...
with the jolly old Man in the Moon.

Seagal 2007

I used to stare at the stars and ache with wondering what was out there when I was a boy...

All right my space loving Coffee Shop friends, I wrote a poem about 11 years ago after a friend accused me of going on 'flights of fancy' when discussing politics...in the middle of the following night, A Midnight Journey was born. So from one with feet firmly planted on earth to those who'd travel to the stars...no spaceship needed...Enjoy! (disclaimer - the order of things is not entirely accurate)

the heavens are my goal.

to kiss a dancing bear.

beckons me to his side.

I'm invited in for tea.
a lion lies next to me.

Seagal 2007

I love that. You have a real gift there (she says as a sometime perhaps less gifted poet herself.) I may not be as talented, but I'll stack my ability to appreciate good poetry up against anybody. :)

I love that. You have a real gift there (she says as a sometime perhaps less gifted poet herself.) I may not be as talented, but I'll stack my ability to appreciate good poetry up against anybody. :)

Well, I thank you. It's a very elusive gift and appears only now and then - usually in response to something someone says to me - never on command. :)

There are 6 constellations (one is actually a star cluster), one star and one celestial event - can you (or anyone) name them? ;)

Last edited:

Well, I thank you. It's a very elusive gift and appears only now and then - usually in response to something someone says to me - never on command. :)

There are 6 constellations (one is actually a star cluster), one star and one celestial event - can you (or anyone) name them? ;)

I believe the ancient Greeks identified six constellations as: Puppis the Poop, Vela the Sails, Pyxis the Compass, Carina the Keel, Volans the Flying Fish and Columba the Dove.

I suppose there are different names for them now?

I'll admit that puppis the poop conjures up a much different image in my mind than what they no doubt intended when they named it that.

I believe the ancient Greeks identified six constellations as: Puppis the Poop, Vela the Sails, Pyxis the Compass, Carina the Keel, Volans the Flying Fish and Columba the Dove.

I suppose there are different names for them now?

I'll admit that puppis the poop conjures up a much different image in my mind than what they no doubt intended when they named it that.

:2up:

I meant described in the poem. :) Here's a hint: Puppis the Poop is not one of them, at least I don't think it is, not on purpose anyway. ;)

the heavens are my goal.

to kiss a dancing bear.

beckons me to his side.

I'm invited in for tea.
a lion lies next to me.

Seagal 2007

You win for your use of a dancing bear. ;)

the heavens are my goal.

to kiss a dancing bear.

beckons me to his side.

I'm invited in for tea.
a lion lies next to me.

Seagal 2007

I've written a lot of poetry, but I don't think you would care for most of it. :lol:

I almost never write it anymore, though. It was more of an activity of my youth.

The bear is Ursa Major or Minor. The belt is Orion's. Lonely star is the North Star. The sisters are Pleiades. Mercury is in Taurus. The rainbow of light is the aurora borealis. The cross is the Southern Cross.

No, I did not get all of that from memory. :p

The bear is Ursa Major or Minor. The belt is Orion's. Lonely star is the North Star. The sisters are Pleiades. Mercury is in Taurus. The rainbow of light is the aurora borealis. The cross is the Southern Cross.

You're good!!!

Yes, it was Orion the Hunter and I who waltzed across the sky. There are 2 more constellations - the lovely Queen who lives near Polaris, and the gentle Lion.

I enjoy reading all kinds of poetry, even some of the darker stuff in Poe fashion, not too, too gory graphic...there's a writing section here, give it a shot.:)

You're good!!!

Yes, it was Orion the Hunter and I who waltzed across the sky. There are 2 more constellations - the lovely Queen who lives near Polaris, and the gentle Lion.

I enjoy reading all kinds of poetry, even some of the darker stuff in Poe fashion, not too, too gory graphic...there's a writing section here, give it a shot.:)

I have enjoyed writing poetry, but I'm not a big fan of reading it. :lol:

Poetry for me is much too personal; someone else's words rarely speak to me the way my own poetry does. Hell, after enough time, my own poetry doesn't speak to me, either. :p

It's unfortunate, because a good turn of phrase can be powerful and profound, but it's a lot like the way I feel about Shakespear: the bard created some excellent phrases, but I'm not willing to wade through his writing to get to them myself.

Of course, use poetry as lyrics in a good song and I'll change my tune, pun intended. :D

Forum List

Back