USMB Coffee Shop IV

On my way to bed for sure now, but for our morning mental exercise, are we seeing this guy in profile? Or is he facing us?

1017720_10152129453613884_484830385_n.jpg

Oooh! Oooh! I did so see that!

I took advantage of the chance to see my grandnephew today. Although he is only nine years old, his mother (please don't bring her up) has him involved in a special 'traveling league' for baseball. This is not your father's Little League. Gone are the days local merchants spent snort teams. Keystone Printing no longer faces off against Milligan's Hardware. These kids play for the Renegades or the Knights. They play twice every Saturday, twice every Sunday and practice three times a week.

So, actually seeing my nephew means giving him a hug and watching him run into a dugout. But he played right here in East Liverpool this afternoon! I had saved two cartons from Land o Lakes Butter.

Google Image Result for https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/3/3b/Land-O-Lakes-Butter.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20171016102124

Note how the Indian girl proudly displays the butter? Note how her knees look like boobs? It takes an uncle to trim the knees from one side of the box and cut that displayed butter into a flap. Then scotch tape the knees behind that flap. All that work demands an uncle! Fathers couldn't do it. Grandpas are too dignified. No, it takes an uncle to point out the Land o Lakes Indian boobs. An uncle to show the slightly naughty, the bawdy, the goofy aspects of everyday life.

And good morning everybody. Trash sacked and out in the containers as tomorrow morning is trash pickup day. Laundry room perused at the mountain of wash I have been ignoring the past two weeks and will have to tackle later today. At noon we have a semi-annual luncheon with some of my high school classmates that live in this area and enjoy getting together.

And it is going to be an uncomfortably hot week in New Mexico.

Hoping everybody is having a good Monday and looking forward to a good week.

Kids spend time today with their cellular telephones. Okay. I spent time in my youth at one of the three movie theaters in town. But that was strictly a weekend thing, and usually a weekend of snow, rain, frost or some other of the smorgasbord of inclement weather nature serves up to us here in the upper Ohio River valley.

There was The State theater at the foot of St. Clair Avenue across the street from the Centeal Fire Station. The State ran the big MGM productions and always had a line at the box office. Inside you strolled across thick maroon carpet passed the snack bar with the aroma of fresh popped corn. I was a Milk Duds kid savoring the chocolate covered balls of caramel inside the waxed paper lined yellow box. A box of Milk Duds, properly portioned, could last through most of the feature.

An usher took and tore your ticket in two, handed back the stub and opened the large bronze and glass doors to the theater. Or, if you were an unaccompanied minor, would direct you to the staircases flanking the lobby that lead to the balcony, where kids and young lovers were given more or less free reign.

The proscenium arch over the screen was draped in the same maroon velvet that hung in the lobby. A little row of yellow light bulbs framed the arch as the drapery was pulled back while the light from the projection booth flooded the scene. Some coming attractions, a newsreel about some summit between President Kennedy and Soviet leader Khrushchev, a Woody the Woodpecker cartoon and...

Lawrence of Arabia would sweep you out of a little river town to the deserts of Arabia. Or Julie Andrews would spin herself into dizziness singing on a mountaintop in pre-war Austria. Or Rock Hudson would command a submarine gliding under the polar ice cap to establish Ice Station Zebra.

For less lofty entertainment, walk a half block south along St.Clair to The Diamond, East Liverpool's Times Square. Then East a half block along Sixth Street to The American theater. Built in 1950 after the original American had burned to the ground, the "new" American did not feature the opulence of The State. But they had fresh popcorn and once the pink and green neon lights of the interior dimmed, you still got a box of Milk Duds' worth of entertainment.

I saw Citizen Kane there for the first time. It was produced by RKO Studios. During the war, Bing Crosby told his fellow Paramount Studios actors, "In case of an air raid, run over to RKO! They haven't had a hit in years!"

The third theater in town was across Sixth Street from the American. The Columbia was the smallest, and dingiest theater in town. The floor of the amphitheater was sticky, the seats were upholstered with russet potatoes and the movies were too 'sophisticated' for many younger audiences. Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe, Midnight Cowboy and Last Tango in Paris were a few of the movies I got to see there, but by that time, I was already a strapping teenager full of what my Uncle Ducky said was 'piss and vinegar'.

For myself, I'll take a box of Milk Duds and an afternoon watching Audrey Hepburn singing about Moon River over a cellular telephone screen any day of the weekend.

After the movie I would walk out of the theater and, if it was the rare sunny day, stumble onto the sidewalk and it's brightness. More often, it was overcast at best, dreary as usual or miserable with freezing rain or pelting snow. All hopped up on Milk Duds and Coca Cola, it was only natural to duck into Islay's for a skyscraper cone.

Islay's (pronounced IZE lays) was a sort of prototypical convenience store, restaurant and ice cream parlor. My favorite flavor was Maricopa. Butterscotch flavored ice cream with a butterscotch/praline swirl. The skyscraper cone was hand dipped using a specially designed scoop that looked more like a common garden trowel than your average ice cream scoop. The effect was an ice cream cone that bore a good resemblance to the nose cone on an ICBM. The perfect Cold War snack.

If you went into Islay's in the morning you would find a table of the regulars, old farts like I am now who gathered each morning for coffee, danishes and to discuss how to solve all the problems of the world. Back in the day, as they say, their table was ringed with cigarette smoke. My Grandpa was one of those guys and his Lucky Strikes (LSMFT) littered the ashtray. If he saw me come in first, he would chasten his buddies to make room for me. If I saw him first, I'd try my best Tom sneak up on him to surprise him. He always feigned surprise, but I suspect he knew where I was even if I was still a block away.

Islay's had a massive lunchmeat counter where heaps of chip chop ham (a Pittsburgh treat) and mounds of what we call Jumbo but outsiders call baloney were sold every day. During the holidays, folks would get their orders in early for the fresh baked pies and their drop dead yummy dinner rolls. Huge dill pickles were fished up out of a barrel at the end of the counter while containers of potatoe salad and baked beans were filled up a quart at a time.

Across the street from the State Theater stood City Market. It was a supermarket carved out of the first floor of a six story apartment building. It had entrances on both the St. Clair Avenue side and on the Broadway side. City Market had East Liverpool's only seafood section. It's a long walk to the beach from here and seafood was an exotic delicacy. Pop liked to shop at City Market and often took me along. I marveled at the big dead fish laying in crushed ice, the whole row of gray shrimp still with their heads on and the pile of Ipswich clams waiting to be turned into chowder.

City Market did not have the long conveyor type of check out lines, but a turntable about twelve feet in diameter. Of course laser scanners and bar codes were still bits of imagination in some far off garage in San Jose, California. The checkout girls would reference the stamped on price, punch in the number of a big ol' National Cash Register while he numbers popped up at the top of the machine. Then they would dial up, yes, use a dial, on another machine to dispense the proper amount of S&H Green Stamps. A yank of a lever and the total would appear on the register tape.

A good, polite boy would be rewarded after grocery shopping with a trip to Islay's and a Maricopa skyscraper. Welcome to East Liverpool, 1964.

Hello Friends, I went to dinner and was hangry and filled up on chips and salsa. By the time my entree arrived, I was too full to eat it. When will I learn? :lol:

I did the same thing at lunch today. I think they do that on purpose so they can serve smaller portions. :)

Hello Friends, I went to dinner and was hangry and filled up on chips and salsa. By the time my entree arrived, I was too full to eat it. When will I learn? :lol:

I eat crackers more, but chips are good as well. That sort of dry, crunchy snack food I can just keep shoving into my face. :p

That's the thing. It doesn't taste hi cal or 'junk food' so it is easy to just keep eating it. My one true vice left is popcorn. And I will keep eating it as long as it is there.

We have most of what's left packed up and I was going to get the truck today but rescheduled for tomorrow. The last two days simply wore me out so I need a day to rest up, I'm not a 20 something (let alone a 40 something) any more.........

You and Mrs. R have been on the vigil list as being in difficult transition for a long time now. I hope after the move and you get settled into your new digs and the new job turns out to be wonderful and you are happy with your new home, we can finally take that off the list. :)

Forum List

Back