USMB Coffee Shop IV

I had never been on a golf coarse as my father called it "cow pasture pool" and thought it was silly... At the age of 11 or 12 a neighbor asked if I wanted to earn some money... Sure I piped up... I caddied for 2 golfers carrying their golf bags for 18 holes for .50 cents... As in most cases in my life... Dad was right... It was a silly game...
Someone wiser than I once said 'Golf is a good walk wasted'. I never caddied, but I did work at the East Liverpool Country Club the summer I graduated from high school. I spent some time on the driving range hammering lop-sided Titleists down range. I found I had a pretty good swing and, after a couple weeks, went downtown to Kidding's and bought a set of clubs for myself.

Kidding's was one of those great stores in town that aren't there anymore. At Kidding's you could buy golf clubs and balls, fishing tackle, a set of tires and car parts, footballs and bicycles. In other words, the kind of place that was right up so many alleys for so many East Liverpudlians.

I packed my clubs for my move from the Big House to a dormitory room on The Ohio State University campus. And that was a good thing. The Ohio State University has two eighteen hole courses, the Scarlett and the Gray. My roomate's beother was on the varsity golf team. Alumnae golfers included Jack Nicklaus no less.

In the coming years I found my clubs at the luggage collection depot at the airports in SanJuan, Puerto Rico where i had a project that kept me there for eighteen months. I golfed for recreation, for public relations and for business development. All the rime I was amazed that such a ridiculous game could do so much socially.

Incidentally, my Scottish ancestors invented golf, along with everything else in the world except cuisine. Those feisty Scots developed a game of eighteen holes because that's how many drams of whisky come from a bottle. Don't tell me they didn't know what they were doing!

Last night when I closed the garage door (auto door opener) I heard a loud bang then popping noises....... looked up and sure enough one of the torsion springs had snapped.

decorative-garage-door-torsion-spring-installation-26-charming-with-regard-to-springs-and-parts-online-for-elegant-property-22-stunning-tension-28-687x344.jpg

They're here fixing it now.

Here's what a broken one looks like.

Garage-Door-Torsion-Spring-Fitting.jpg
Yikes! Is there a more dangerous apparatus in a house than a garage door spring?

Last night when I closed the garage door (auto door opener) I heard a loud bang then popping noises....... looked up and sure enough one of the torsion springs had snapped.

decorative-garage-door-torsion-spring-installation-26-charming-with-regard-to-springs-and-parts-online-for-elegant-property-22-stunning-tension-28-687x344.jpg

They're here fixing it now.

Here's what a broken one looks like.

Garage-Door-Torsion-Spring-Fitting.jpg
Yikes! Is there a more dangerous apparatus in a house than a garage door spring?
It's on that steel bar so the likelihood of propelled "shrapnel" is very low, it just snaps in one spot. With heavy usage a spring's life span is around 6 years, the reason for the gap is the springs are torqued about that far out and when one fails the spring returns to it's un-tensioned position.

I had never been on a golf coarse as my father called it "cow pasture pool" and thought it was silly... At the age of 11 or 12 a neighbor asked if I wanted to earn some money... Sure I piped up... I caddied for 2 golfers carrying their golf bags for 18 holes for .50 cents... As in most cases in my life... Dad was right... It was a silly game...
Someone wiser than I once said 'Golf is a good walk wasted'. I never caddied, but I did work at the East Liverpool Country Club the summer I graduated from high school. I spent some time on the driving range hammering lop-sided Titleists down range. I found I had a pretty good swing and, after a couple weeks, went downtown to Kidding's and bought a set of clubs for myself.

Kidding's was one of those great stores in town that aren't there anymore. At Kidding's you could buy golf clubs and balls, fishing tackle, a set of tires and car parts, footballs and bicycles. In other words, the kind of place that was right up so many alleys for so many East Liverpudlians.

I packed my clubs for my move from the Big House to a dormitory room on The Ohio State University campus. And that was a good thing. The Ohio State University has two eighteen hole courses, the Scarlett and the Gray. My roomate's beother was on the varsity golf team. Alumnae golfers included Jack Nicklaus no less.

In the coming years I found my clubs at the luggage collection depot at the airports in SanJuan, Puerto Rico where i had a project that kept me there for eighteen months. I golfed for recreation, for public relations and for business development. All the rime I was amazed that such a ridiculous game could do so much socially.

Incidentally, my Scottish ancestors invented golf, along with everything else in the world except cuisine. Those feisty Scots developed a game of eighteen holes because that's how many drams of whisky come from a bottle. Don't tell me they didn't know what they were doing!
Scotts are Hobbits?

Scotts are Hobbits?

Get to know some of us endomorphic Scots. Hobbit ain't that far off.

When I was a boy, a couple of friends and I used to go to golf courses and search for lost balls. We then sold them to teachers at school. One day as I was looking along the edge of a golf hole for balls, my two friend ran out onto the green and swiped two balls off the green. I had to run too as the golfers chased us all.

My concern is today's kids. I don't see them riding bikes, playing football or serving tea in a tiny backyard playhouse. What future skills are they learning staring blankly at a video screen?
Or mowing lawns, willing to work for some extra cash but not wanting to WORK work for it. Nope. Kids nowadays are doing exactly as you said...sitting in front of a video screen...along with their dad who doesn't have a job nor wants one.
I'm not that bleak. As kids we played far more than we worked for wages. And with the much vaunted employment numbers, I don't think it's entirely fair to cast aspersions on Dad.

We mowed lawns and raked leaves and occasionally did that for others on the invitation of those others or on their behalf by our parents. I once spent a rainy, dreary November day shoveling three tons of coal for my spinster aunts. They gave me $5.00 for my work, but I was not resentful.
Um....I am talking about TODAYS kids. Not when we were younger.

I never really got into golfing--never had my own clubs for instance. But the few times I was out there, I'll have to say it was not an unpleasant experience. I can see how people really enjoy it.

My concern is today's kids. I don't see them riding bikes, playing football or serving tea in a tiny backyard playhouse. What future skills are they learning staring blankly at a video screen?
Or mowing lawns, willing to work for some extra cash but not wanting to WORK work for it. Nope. Kids nowadays are doing exactly as you said...sitting in front of a video screen...along with their dad who doesn't have a job nor wants one.
I'm not that bleak. As kids we played far more than we worked for wages. And with the much vaunted employment numbers, I don't think it's entirely fair to cast aspersions on Dad.

We mowed lawns and raked leaves and occasionally did that for others on the invitation of those others or on their behalf by our parents. I once spent a rainy, dreary November day shoveling three tons of coal for my spinster aunts. They gave me $5.00 for my work, but I was not resentful.

But even today there are kids willing to work for their money. Three little homeschooled boys on our street have set up their own little cottage industry setting out the big 80-gallon trash carts plus the big recycle carts on trash pickup day and then putting the carts back after the trucks come by. They charge $2/month but of course we all voluntarily pay them quite a bit more than that.

Their dad requires them to tithe 10% to the church or charity--their choice--put 10% in savings, and they can spend the rest.

Things like that encourage me that there is still hope for our American society. :)

But even today there are kids willing to work for their money. Three little homeschooled boys on our street have set up their own little cottage industry setting out the big 80-gallon trash carts plus the big recycle carts on trash pickup day and then putting the carts back after the trucks come by. They charge $2/month but of course we all voluntarily pay them quite a bit more than that.

Their dad requires them to tithe 10% to the church or charity--their choice--put 10% in savings, and they can spend the rest.

Things like that encourage me that there is still hope for our American society. :)

Staring at a screen is probably a better teacher for the kinds of jobs kids today will be looking for when they become adults. What concerns me about all of the screen time is the lack of exercise and its impact on health.

Unfortunately, I spend most of my time in front of a screen, so I have a hard time saying anything like that. :p

Must be nice to have such neighbors. When I managed the apartments at home..for 17 years, I might add...NOT ONE of the kids that lived there would mow for me, help in the yard, rake, etc. Nope. I offered good wage too..for a one time job. Nope. GAMES for their nintendo cost more than 15 bucks for an hour. Even 20 bucks. Then at the house we lived in after retiring, neighbor kids also refused. It cut into their video game time.
That is TWO different neighborhoods. Same mindset.

My car's A/C is shot. I went to 2 places to have it looked at, and both agreed that I need to replace various things to get it working. The second place gave me a list of what needed replacing and the estimated costs. It would have ended up over $1500, which I was not at all willing to pay. However, I am pretty sure I can get the parts for much less money, and I have a friend who has some experience with cars (although not with A/C systems) willing to give replacing the parts a go with me, saving me the labor costs. I need a new compressor and expansion valve, and I can get both of those without issue. However, the list I am using from the last car shop also says I need "AC lines/hoses," which is pretty vague. There are a few different lines/hoses involved in the A/C. It also mentions the problem as "R134-A A/C line is leaking." I know that R134-A is refrigerant, but that still doesn't tell me for certain what line/hose I need to replace.

Do any of you with experience messing with cars happen to have any advice about what I would need to get if the R134-A A/C line is leaking? The car is a 2002 Saturn LW200 if that helps. There's a list of lines/hoses (along with some other parts) here: Condenser, Compressor & Lines for 2002 Saturn LW200 | GMPartsDirect.com but I don't know which would be the culprit. I don't think it is all 3 of the lines 6-8, as I recall the guy at the shop bringing the part up on the computer and I think it was just one piece. I also don't think that the tube part 9 is it, as the picture for the part was longer than that. So it's basically a choice between parts 6-8.

I may not have enough information, and maybe no one here knows about this, but I thought I'd throw it out there before I go buy parts. :)

My car's A/C is shot. I went to 2 places to have it looked at, and both agreed that I need to replace various things to get it working. The second place gave me a list of what needed replacing and the estimated costs. It would have ended up over $1500, which I was not at all willing to pay. However, I am pretty sure I can get the parts for much less money, and I have a friend who has some experience with cars (although not with A/C systems) willing to give replacing the parts a go with me, saving me the labor costs. I need a new compressor and expansion valve, and I can get both of those without issue. However, the list I am using from the last car shop also says I need "AC lines/hoses," which is pretty vague. There are a few different lines/hoses involved in the A/C. It also mentions the problem as "R134-A A/C line is leaking." I know that R134-A is refrigerant, but that still doesn't tell me for certain what line/hose I need to replace.

Do any of you with experience messing with cars happen to have any advice about what I would need to get if the R134-A A/C line is leaking? The car is a 2002 Saturn LW200 if that helps. There's a list of lines/hoses (along with some other parts) here: Condenser, Compressor & Lines for 2002 Saturn LW200 | GMPartsDirect.com but I don't know which would be the culprit. I don't think it is all 3 of the lines 6-8, as I recall the guy at the shop bringing the part up on the computer and I think it was just one piece. I also don't think that the tube part 9 is it, as the picture for the part was longer than that. So it's basically a choice between parts 6-8.

I may not have enough information, and maybe no one here knows about this, but I thought I'd throw it out there before I go buy parts. :)

Sorry Montro. Anything more complicate than the thingamabob that you turn or the doohickey that you push is out of my area of expertise when it comes to cars.

Slow day at the Coffee Shop. :(

Harper was able to go home today. Pain management is still an issue, but surgery in your mouth is always a bit hard to painless. There is considerable swelling still, but I am hopeful to hear her speak more clearly (less nasally) and for the first time in life swallow water like most of us do. It is interesting that Harper has started to notice her younger sister doesn't visit the doctor as much as she does. There is a good chance she has thought all of this as normal up to now.

Slow day at the Coffee Shop. :(

Harper was able to go home today. Pain management is still an issue, but surgery in your mouth is always a bit hard to painless. There is considerable swelling still, but I am hopeful to hear her speak more clearly (less nasally) and for the first time in life swallow water like most of us do. It is interesting that Harper has started to notice her younger sister doesn't visit the doctor as much as she does. There is a good chance she has thought all of this as normal up to now.

We'll keep her on the critical list until she is pain free and everything is healed up. Then she stays there until she doesn't have to go to the doctor more than her sister.

We now have a beautiful rock yard.
It was supposed to have been done all on Monday.
It took 3 days.
They ran out of rock and had to order 5 more extra tons for the back yard .
Seems they under estimated just a tad. :biggrin:
I am one very happy camper.
A few of the neighbors have driven by and said how nice it looks.

Local sunset tomorrow on this line of latitude is 8:57 pm. This is the time of year we longed for in mid January. Not just for the balmy, steamy temperatures. Not just for the hydrangeas in full bloom. Not just for the overwhelming greenness of our rolling hills. Not just because the kids are finally out of school and out from under foot.

Nope! It's because our days roll on seemingly forever. It's for the glorious light of evening. Living here in mid winter is like living in a morgue while mid June is like living in the open woods.

Last edited:
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter), post op surgery on Monday.
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Nosmo's Uncle for good news and Aunt Roxie
Nosmo's Daisy
Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

And just like that, it is summer.
summer-solstice.jpg

Today is the first official day of summer. With that said, I would like to remind everybody that I am a certified, professional tan line inspector. If you should require an evaluation of your tan lines simply let me know and arrangements can easily be made for your free evaluation.

Forum List

Back