USMB Coffee Shop IV

My car's A/C is shot. I went to 2 places to have it looked at, and both agreed that I need to replace various things to get it working. The second place gave me a list of what needed replacing and the estimated costs. It would have ended up over $1500, which I was not at all willing to pay. However, I am pretty sure I can get the parts for much less money, and I have a friend who has some experience with cars (although not with A/C systems) willing to give replacing the parts a go with me, saving me the labor costs. I need a new compressor and expansion valve, and I can get both of those without issue. However, the list I am using from the last car shop also says I need "AC lines/hoses," which is pretty vague. There are a few different lines/hoses involved in the A/C. It also mentions the problem as "R134-A A/C line is leaking." I know that R134-A is refrigerant, but that still doesn't tell me for certain what line/hose I need to replace.

Do any of you with experience messing with cars happen to have any advice about what I would need to get if the R134-A A/C line is leaking? The car is a 2002 Saturn LW200 if that helps. There's a list of lines/hoses (along with some other parts) here: Condenser, Compressor & Lines for 2002 Saturn LW200 | GMPartsDirect.com but I don't know which would be the culprit. I don't think it is all 3 of the lines 6-8, as I recall the guy at the shop bringing the part up on the computer and I think it was just one piece. I also don't think that the tube part 9 is it, as the picture for the part was longer than that. So it's basically a choice between parts 6-8.

I may not have enough information, and maybe no one here knows about this, but I thought I'd throw it out there before I go buy parts. :)
I've found that even auto shops can be clueless as to repairing AC. The one we went to for a compressor replacement on the Wife's old CRX ended up putting 3 new ones in in two months because each time the mechanic failed to adjust the compressor clutch (which I discovered later).

My car's A/C is shot. I went to 2 places to have it looked at, and both agreed that I need to replace various things to get it working. The second place gave me a list of what needed replacing and the estimated costs. It would have ended up over $1500, which I was not at all willing to pay. However, I am pretty sure I can get the parts for much less money, and I have a friend who has some experience with cars (although not with A/C systems) willing to give replacing the parts a go with me, saving me the labor costs. I need a new compressor and expansion valve, and I can get both of those without issue. However, the list I am using from the last car shop also says I need "AC lines/hoses," which is pretty vague. There are a few different lines/hoses involved in the A/C. It also mentions the problem as "R134-A A/C line is leaking." I know that R134-A is refrigerant, but that still doesn't tell me for certain what line/hose I need to replace.

Do any of you with experience messing with cars happen to have any advice about what I would need to get if the R134-A A/C line is leaking? The car is a 2002 Saturn LW200 if that helps. There's a list of lines/hoses (along with some other parts) here: Condenser, Compressor & Lines for 2002 Saturn LW200 | GMPartsDirect.com but I don't know which would be the culprit. I don't think it is all 3 of the lines 6-8, as I recall the guy at the shop bringing the part up on the computer and I think it was just one piece. I also don't think that the tube part 9 is it, as the picture for the part was longer than that. So it's basically a choice between parts 6-8.

I may not have enough information, and maybe no one here knows about this, but I thought I'd throw it out there before I go buy parts. :)
I've found that even auto shops can be clueless as to repairing AC. The one we went to for a compressor replacement on the Wife's old CRX ended up putting 3 new ones in in two months because each time the mechanic failed to adjust the compressor clutch (which I discovered later).

Yup. I think I mentioned before that the last time we had A/C problems we went from mechanic opinions from replacing it to a $300+ fix to what was really wrong which was a $5/part and $10/labor or some such.

Saveliberty mentioned it was a slow day in the Coffee Shop this week but a lot of days are in the summertime. Between those of you job hunting to moving to landscaping to working more hours than usual to studying for exams, gardening, traveling, etc. there are just lots of things going on that don't involve sitting in front of the computer.

I just took my cake out of the oven to serve after our 42 games this afternoon. Hombre got up early to take Carly to the vet for Dana who just wasn't up to getting her there today. Waiting for our 42 partners now.

Well, I just spent $225 for parts. The shop I went to last listed the parts at $740, and I'm pretty sure I bought 2 more hoses/lines than they listed. Now I'll cross my fingers my friend has enough car know-how to install it all, despite his never having done A/C before. :p

If not, there's someone else I can go to through my employer who may be able to get it done for as little as $200. $425 is more than I want to spend on my crappy car, but would be worth it for working A/C. :dunno:

Well, I just spent $225 for parts. The shop I went to last listed the parts at $740, and I'm pretty sure I bought 2 more hoses/lines than they listed. Now I'll cross my fingers my friend has enough car know-how to install it all, despite his never having done A/C before. :p

If not, there's someone else I can go to through my employer who may be able to get it done for as little as $200. $425 is more than I want to spend on my crappy car, but would be worth it for working A/C. :dunno:

My sisters car is twenty five years old and riding in it scares me. For one thing the passenger door does not open from the inside as the handle does not work, nor does the window open. But the door opens from the outside. So I have started carrying a large spanner so that if we have a crash and I am trapped inside, I can smash the window and reach the outside handle. I have not told my sister this, and she cannot afford a new car so I don't know how long it will last before the car is a scrapper. But I wish she could get a new one so I would not be likely to be trapped in it.

My sisters car is twenty five years old and riding in it scares me. For one thing the passenger door does not open from the inside as the handle does not work, nor does the window open. But the door opens from the outside. So I have started carrying a large spanner so that if we have a crash and I am trapped inside, I can smash the window and reach the outside handle. I have not told my sister this, and she cannot afford a new car so I don't know how long it will last before the car is a scrapper. But I wish she could get a new one so I would not be likely to be trapped in it.

Mine isn't that old, and the problems seem less potentially life threatening. :eek:

My little Subaru Impreza Outback will be 23 years old in October but it still runs like new and everything on it still works. But, because it is that old and has so very few repairs over the years, I figure a lot of parts in it are at the end of their lifespan so I don't use it any more than for local errands.

...I have started carrying a large spanner so that if we have a crash and I am trapped inside, I can smash the window and reach the outside handle. ...

A wrench would probably work better.

Just got back from another run to Roswell with a trailer, now pretty much all that's left is mostly the big stuff. Of course we're both exhausted and sore....... As usual it took almost a whole day to load the trailer and just a couple of hours to unload.

...I have started carrying a large spanner so that if we have a crash and I am trapped inside, I can smash the window and reach the outside handle. ...

A wrench would probably work better.
Or a wench.........

Good morning all. It is definitely June in Albuquerque--typically our hottest month but we'll see how it goes for July and August. Temps have been in high 90's, threatening to hit the100 mark but haven't yet. But nights are cool enough to sleep and my tomato plants are thriving. All is well.

Good morning all. It is definitely June in Albuquerque--typically our hottest month but we'll see how it goes for July and August. Temps have been in high 90's, threatening to hit the100 mark but haven't yet. But nights are cool enough to sleep and my tomato plants are thriving. All is well.

I imagine we have very different definitions of "cool enough to sleep." :p

99 here. I hate this. At "home", it is 69 degrees. I miss "home".

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter), post op surgery last Monday.
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Nosmo's Uncle for good news and Aunt Roxie
Nosmo's Daisy
Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

original-2098-1436977335-3.png

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter), post op surgery last Monday.
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Nosmo's Uncle for good news and Aunt Roxie
Nosmo's Daisy
Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

original-2098-1436977335-3.png

The answer to that question is: Florida. :p

Forum List

Back