USMB Coffee Shop IV

Great start of the football season. Packers win. Redskins win. Dallas looses. Doesn’t get any better than that!!!

BBD....I agree completely. Grew up in Virginia, so love the Redskins....Sherry has family in Wisconsin so Packers :thup:....and if you're a Redskins fan the Cow Pies are :(.

BTW the Packers game was about as exciting as it gets. Really well played by both the Bears and Pack.

What I posted to BBD. :)

It stopped raining today just long enough to get out and pick up the branches and leaves washed way during the past three days. Flood watches are in effect until Wednesday afternoon when it is expected to start raining again. The remnants of Hurricane Florence are expected for the upcoming weekend. Not packing the punch she will deliver to our friends living along the southeast coast. Let's pray they find shelter from the storm and their lives are disrupted as little as possible.

The flood walls at nearby Wellsville are being put up to keep the creeks that fill the Ohio River at bay. Look for Patterson Field (the home of the ELHS Potters) and Richardson Field in Wellsville to flood. When I was in high school, a hundred years ago, Patterson Field flooded so deep that a friend and I took a canoe to the gridiron and carved our initials in the eaves of the concession stand.

The Mighty East Liverpool High School Potters suffered their second defeat of the season Friday night to cross-county rival Salem. It has been years since the Potters have been a football powerhouse. Basketball is the big sport now, along with the boy's tennis team. So we wait for November and the first tip off.

Thee are concerns for the local apple crop. The bridal summer heat and the incessant rain may have taken their toll. Tomorrow I'll take Mom up to Peace Valley Orchards to see what of this season's harvest has to offer and what they might be charging for what has been picked from the thousands of trees there. Peace Valley developed their own variety called the Buckeye Gala. I had always been a Golden Delicious man, but since tasting the Buckeye Gala, I've changed my mind.

The only crops that do well on our steep hillsides, aside from a few beef and dairy cattle, are apples and sweet corn. We're bounded by deep ravines and clay soil. Too thick and water retentive to grow much feed corn or soy beans. But trees grow ell here as evidenced by our hardwood forests. So, we're blessed by silver and gold ears of sweet corn and acres of apple orchards.

And so it goes here at the Crotch of the Tri-State area. We brace against the driving rain, lament another poor high school football season and anticipate the Autumn crops.

Just the opposite here, for now. Glorious golden autumn days. Moderate temperatures and butter-yellow sunshine prevail. It's all the gift we receive before winter comes. I went outside about 0330 last night and was gifted with a most fantabulous light show provided by the northern lights. Sat in my bathrobe on the lawn chair and indulged myself...

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter post surgery on August 21)
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition

And we keep the porch light on so all those who have been away might find their way back.

We are reminded that we are just 10 days away from autumn, my favorite time of year. And readig GW's post reminded me again of something I have never seen but always wanted to see:

11_feb0485.jpg

The porch light was on so I wandered in.

Well, no one's here so I guess I'll just curl up here on the couch.

When you wake up thats 2 spoons of sugar and yup, cream.

So glad when you wander in Lumpy. You may have noticed before I turn down the lights at night, I cover up all the folks sleeping in the booth. :)

So glad when you wander in Lumpy. You may have noticed before I turn down the lights at night, I cover up all the folks sleeping in the booth. :)

Hello Lady Foxfyre, I'm glad that your glad that I wandered in. Last time I was here I caused an unintended disturbance in the force .. sorry about that..

My life is going on fairly well and happy other than worries of my daughter in the path of the hurricane in South Carolina. My baby joined the Army and is stationed at Fort Jackson doing bootcamp. Kinda odd doings when the last one flys out of the nest and my darlin wife and I have to find new ways to entertain ourselves after almost 40 years.

Hello Lady Foxfyre, I'm glad that your glad that I wandered in. Last time I was here I caused an unintended disturbance in the force .. sorry about that..

My life is going on fairly well and happy other than worries of my daughter in the path of the hurricane in South Carolina. My baby joined the Army and is stationed at Fort Jackson doing bootcamp. Kinda odd doings when the last one flys out of the nest and my darlin wife and I have to find new ways to entertain ourselves after almost 40 years.

I don't recall any disturbance in the force, my friend, but that hurricane out there is a worry. I'm sure the Army has taken all necessary precautions to protect everybody though. And being so far inland, they should not have much problem other than a lot of rain.

The empty nest syndrome is different but if you are like Hombre and me, we were glad that our kids grew up independent and adult and wanted to naturally be on their own. And we have been content and happy empty nesters.

b5d391530b597bb33760e18e5d9e963c.jpg

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter post surgery on August 21)
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition

And we keep the porch light on so all those who have been away might find their way back.

We are reminded that we are just 10 days away from autumn, my favorite time of year. And readig GW's post reminded me again of something I have never seen but always wanted to see:

11_feb0485.jpg
That's pretty close to how they looked the other night, too. Not always that fantastic, surely. I think the best "light show" I can recall was the night my second granddaughter was born. I opted to babysit the first girl while everyone else went to the hospital. Well, it was a birthing center, actually. They had stadium seating in the birthing room and I really didn't want to be part of the on-site cheering section. I did hear that my SIL turned ghostly white and had to leave the room, though.

I just saw this and immediately thought of all the bikers in the Coffee Shop. (Sorry guys, no implications here other than I thought it was funny.)

41485959_1996639083736247_5036709728567164928_n.jpg

I don't recall any disturbance in the force, my friend, but that hurricane out there is a worry. I'm sure the Army has taken all necessary precautions to protect everybody though. And being so far inland, they should not have much problem other than a lot of rain.

The empty nest syndrome is different but if you are like Hombre and me, we were glad that our kids grew up independent and adult and wanted to naturally be on their own. And we have been content and happy empty nesters.

Well good.. :) .. and yup, she'll be fine, parents worry and life goes on.

Empty nest .. I'm willing, we just have some decisions and plans to work out, I'm blessed so it all looks promising.

I just saw this and immediately thought of all the bikers in the Coffee Shop. (Sorry guys, no implications here other than I thought it was funny.)

41485959_1996639083736247_5036709728567164928_n.jpg

I read in a motorcycle magazine that Harleys are expensive, over rated, and they ride like a slug. (slowly)
The reason they are a success is extremely good advertising, and the style of their design.

I cannot say for myself because I never had enough money for one, but I swear by Honda's as I had several.
They are fast and they start easily with the push of a button, and last for years and years. I had a CB 500 and after that a CB 650 and the 650 did 120 miles per hour.

News from BBD... It won't be long and we will be picking corn and soybeans in my neck of the woods. Both the beans and corn are drying up very nicely. Our corn is looking really good and I expect a good harvest. The deer here (bucks) are still in full velvet on their antlers and my trail cams prove it. That too will change pretty soon now. My son, who is currently stationed at Fort Hood, TX will be transferred to Korea and he leaves on October 8th. He has been selected for SSGT so the next time I see him he will have another stripe. Had a routine cardio doctor apt. today. All is well. That's about it except I burned the popcorn and the house stinks. Mrs. BBD is not happy with me. More news as it comes along.

News from BBD... It won't be long and we will be picking corn and soybeans in my neck of the woods. Both the beans and corn are drying up very nicely. Our corn is looking really good and I expect a good harvest. The deer here (bucks) are still in full velvet on their antlers and my trail cams prove it. That too will change pretty soon now. My son, who is currently stationed at Fort Hood, TX will be transferred to Korea and he leaves on October 8th. He has been selected for SSGT so the next time I see him he will have another stripe. Had a routine cardio doctor apt. today. All is well. That's about it except I burned the popcorn and the house stinks. Mrs. BBD is not happy with me. More news as it comes along.

How exciting for your son. Korea is a great assignment. Fort Hood not so much. :)

But good to see that all is well with you and Mrs. BBD--she'll get over the burned popcorn. :)

They tore down the Elite Diner. People from any other place than East Liverpool would have called it the Elite Diner. If you were born and raised here, you would have called it the E light. It was an old style trolley style diner with a long counter and booths along the windows.

On cold days the windows were covered with a sheen of fog. Otherwise, they were covered with a sheen of grease. The stools along the counter were upholstered with tangerine colored Naugahyde. The booths were lime green and the table tops were black with little silver boomerang shapes. The floor was 9x9 black and green vinyl tiles and the walls and ceiling were a shiny ivory color (probably antiseptic white originally but years of cigarette smoke mellowed the color to a warm ivory).

Two drink dispensers held orange and grape flavored drinks that constantly fountained under clear plastic domes. The cash register, no credit cards were every accepted at the Elite, had no electricity pulsing through it. Keys were punched, numbers appeared in a slim rectangular window and the highest denomination bill in the drawer was a twenty.

The Elite was a favorite for breakfasts. Regulars, old timers who met there each morning, held court in the end booth where they smoked Lucky Strikes and consumed gallons of strong black coffee while they discussed the prospects for the Potters football season, doings at City Hall and solved all the world's problems.

The other busy time for the staff at the Elite was Friday and Saturday nights after the bars closed. College age kids would stumble in from The Oasis up at the foot of St. Clair Avenue. More mature drinkers would filter in from the Corner Tavern at Sixth and Jackson. The juke box was controlled from the booths with a little flip chart listing the hits available. An eclectic mix of Buddy Holley and the Crickets, Loretta Lynn, Led Zepplin and Henry Mancini would ring through the diner while laughter, tears and raucous conversation bounced off the barrel shaped ceiling.

The food was edible, but not spectacular. I usually ordered scrambled eggs, sausage links, their fabulous hash browns and wheat toast. At the end of all that cholesterol Laden grub, you could raise the heavy locally made restaurant ware plate. The grease would flow downward and, like an etch-a-sketch, if you turned the plate 90 degrees, the streaks of grease would change direction.

If breakfast fare wasn't appropriate, a hot roast beef sandwich and fries was the best option. What I did not know until I was well into adulthood was hot roast beef means something different on the East Coast. Around here, a hot roast beef sandwich is slices of roast beef between two slices of white bread and a ladle full of beef gravy poured over the sandwich and the potatoes, be they fried or mashed. I ordered a hot roast beef at a diner in Brooklyn and they looked at me as if I asked for a lobster milkshake.

But they tore down the Elite Diner. Now only chain restaurants are here. America is getting more homogenized every time they take away local institutions like the Elite. Mores the pity.

Forum List

Back