USMB Coffee Shop IV

By the way the kitchen cabinets are in good physical shape but old and somewhat abused. I plan on refinishing the cabinets in turquoise.
Similar to this;

24-winning-turquoise-kitchen-cabinets-15-favorite-ideas-for-turquoise-kitchen-decor-and-appliances.jpg

It is rather retro but very nice. For the cook stove, I have absolutely fallen in love with my ceramic top. We are at the point that heavy cleaning just isn't something we easily do any more, and the stove is so easy to keep compared to a gas stove or the standard electric range.

Hombre would love that bright yellow bathroom. But the basic earth tones broken up with bright decorative items work best for us these days.
We have ceramic top here at this house and I'm constantly having to clean it with baking soda and peroxide to get the baked on stuff off. All it takes is one boil over of rice and presto!! Instant baked on crud. No thanks, I'm done with ceramic top ranges.

All you need is a bottle of Soft Scrub and a box of those little soft scrubbers they make for ceramic stove top--one out of the box last for days or weeks. Once the surface cools a bit squirt a small amount of soft scrub on any spill over or splatters, a very small amount of effort with the scrubber sponge, wipe off and it sparkles. Far faster than cleaning up the regular range.

If a lot of something is really baked on, a flick with a razor blade takes it right up.

So much easier to keep than any other range top.

We use these - $8.50 for two boxes on Amazon and will last for a year or more.
81Nk5QXdZcL._SY679_.jpg

Plus

th

That you can buy pretty much anywhere

Last edited:
I just did our bathroom in light purple like this color.

9fcfb391f14c243680d910efb4a0165b.jpg

My landlords came today with a view to painting the bathroom. But they then told me they are going to replace the bath, rip out the water tanks. Fit a gas boiler and central heating. None of which I want or can afford to run.

I have a nasty feeling this will all end with them evicting me within two months, because the government are changing the housing laws to make it harder to evict tenants , and they might be planning to get rid of me before the law changes. I hope not because if I get two months notice to quit it will probably be the death of me.

By the way the kitchen cabinets are in good physical shape but old and somewhat abused. I plan on refinishing the cabinets in turquoise.
Similar to this;

24-winning-turquoise-kitchen-cabinets-15-favorite-ideas-for-turquoise-kitchen-decor-and-appliances.jpg

It is rather retro but very nice. For the cook stove, I have absolutely fallen in love with my ceramic top. We are at the point that heavy cleaning just isn't something we easily do any more, and the stove is so easy to keep compared to a gas stove or the standard electric range.

Hombre would love that bright yellow bathroom. But the basic earth tones broken up with bright decorative items work best for us these days.
We have ceramic top here at this house and I'm constantly having to clean it with baking soda and peroxide to get the baked on stuff off. All it takes is one boil over of rice and presto!! Instant baked on crud. No thanks, I'm done with ceramic top ranges.

All you need is a bottle of Soft Scrub and a box of those little soft scrubbers they make for ceramic stove top--one out of the box last for days or weeks. Once the surface cools a bit squirt a small amount of soft scrub on any spill over or splatters, a very small amount of effort with the scrubber sponge, wipe off and it sparkles. Far faster than cleaning up the regular range.

If a lot of something is really baked on, a flick with a razor blade takes it right up.

81Nk5QXdZcL._SY679_.jpg

Plus

th

It's not just that, over the years I've discovered gas provides much more control over cooking temps than electric. Cleaning it is no big deal for me.

My landlords came today with a view to painting the bathroom. But they then told me they are going to replace the bath, rip out the water tanks. Fit a gas boiler and central heating. None of which I want or can afford to run.

I have a nasty feeling this will all end with them evicting me within two months, because the government are changing the housing laws to make it harder to evict tenants , and they might be planning to get rid of me before the law changes. I hope not because if I get two months notice to quit it will probably be the death of me.

Oh wow. Hope you can work it out Dajjal. They don't have low income housing where you are?

Similar to this;

81Nk5QXdZcL._SY679_.jpg

Plus

th

It's not just that, over the years I've discovered gas provides much more control over cooking temps than electric. Cleaning it is no big deal for me.

I understand and appreciate the control issue. And I do know many chefs prefer cooking with gas for that reason. But the settings on my stove provide sufficient control for me. If I need constant temp for anything I use one of my electric skillets or cookers which I have in all sizes. And I don't have to worry about gas leaks. :)

Oh wow. Hope you can work it out Dajjal. They don't have low income housing where you are?

There are a lot of people sleeping on the streets, up to now I have been one of the lucky ones. My rent is cheap for the area, and I think the landlords want a tenant with a job, not a pensioner like me. I will be very lucky to find anywhere cheap and suitable within a couple of months.

Similar to this;

81Nk5QXdZcL._SY679_.jpg

Plus

th

I understand and appreciate the control issue. And I do know many chefs prefer cooking with gas for that reason. But the settings on my stove provide sufficient control for me. If I need constant temp for anything I use one of my electric skillets or cookers which I have in all sizes. And I don't have to worry about gas leaks. :)
There's already gas going to the furnace and I have a gas "sniffer" to find specifically where any leaks may show up as well as a gas detector in the house.

There are a lot of people sleeping on the streets, up to now I have been one of the lucky ones. My rent is cheap for the area, and I think the landlords want a tenant with a job, not a pensioner like me. I will be very lucky to find anywhere cheap and suitable within a couple of months.

So it is really scary for you. We'll be sending all sorts of positive vibes your way.

Best of luck to you, Dajjal. While I certainly hope this doesn't happen to you, these days it's frighteningly common.

Today is Maunday Thursday celebrated in my faith as the Last Supper and the betrayal of Christ by Judas Iscariot. The Presbyterians are not reknown for gorgeous pageantry or ornated sanctuaries. Ceremonies are subdued. A Presbyterian wedding used to mean sandwiches of boiled ham sliced so thinly you could read the fine print of a contract through it. About as thick as a burst balloon and just as appetizing. A spoonful of baked beans, potatoes salad and all washed down with black coffee, fruit punch for the kids. But oday's fashions are for far more elaborate receptions with live bands, open bars and lively choreographed dances featuring the bride and groom and all members of the wedding party.

It makes sense given our heritage as Scotsmen. While the Scots invented everything from the steam engine to single malt scotch, they never, by any stretch of the imagination, succeeded in creating a desirable cuisine or elaborate ceremony. There are legitimate reasons there are no Scottish restaurants. The French, the Italians, the Greeks and Germans all welcome customers eager to taste the dishes made famous in their respective 'old countries'. The Scots are content if you are happy with a scotch and soda after a round of golf then please go home, thank you very much.

The Maunday Thursday service at the old Trinity Presbyterian church was the exception to the rule. While the service is appropriately somber, it is an attempt at showmanship, the elders of the church play the disciples. They did not wear costumes, rather their Sunday best suits in blue flannel and gray or brown wool. The minister plays the role of Christ, serving up communion to the elders and proclaiming "Take. Eat. Do this in remembrance of me."

After offering the bread of communion (an angel food cake those same elders spent the afternoon carving into sugar cube sized portions), he says to the elder playing Judas, "What you are about to do, so it quickly."

My sainted Uncle Robert played Judas. Uncle Robert stood in contrast to his brothers, my Grandfather, Uncle Alex and Uncle Ducky. While those three brothers were charming, engaging, and tainted with mischievousness, Uncle Robert was dour and serious. In the photos taken at family reunions, all the first generation Americans who made up the family are beaming and happy. Uncle Robert always looked constipated.

As Judas/Uncle Robert departed his seat behind the alter, the lights in the sanctuary were put out. The mighty Wurlitzer pipe organ began to play LOUDLY more loudly than in any other service. All the stops were pulled and ominous minor key chords rang out. It served to wake up the congregation and scare the snot out of every little kid in the sanctuary.

I had a friend in high school who erected an organ in his home. Stop snickering and thinking 'every high school boy erected an organ in his home!' 'Erected' is the proper verb to describe the action of assembling the various components of a pipe organ.

He had ordered several huge metal bass note pipes and was due to take delivery of them in, of all places, the Port of Erie, Pennsylvania as they were manufactured in Canada and would be shipped south across the lake. When he was to take delivery of them, another high schooler, who had a large pickup truck, volunteered to make the 135 mile drive north and pick up the pipes.

He took the paperwork with him and demanded the money back instead of the pipes. Then he drove his truck to Trinity Church. He broke in, climbed into the ranks of organ pipes, purloined them and delivered the hot pipes to my friend. The perfect crime,more so it would seem.

The thief was not a congregant of Trinity and was unaware of the special Thursday night services to be held there later that same week.

So, let's set the scene once more. Christ has served the Last Supper. Judas is on his way to conspire to betray Christ. The sanctuary is bathed in total darkness and the organist has prepped her instrument to shock the congregation.

Then we heard a weird hissing sound. Air escaping from the fittng where the stolen pipes were placed. It played on my mind all Easter weekend. But I put two and two together and waited for Monday morning and the return to school after the Easter break.

The boy's guidance counselor at ELHS was one of those school professionals who truly understood how to reach students, lend an empathetic ear, laugh at our sophomoric jokes and care about his young charges. I told him the story of the Maunday Thursday service debacle and explained how another friend was erecting an organ at his home. The tumblers clicked in his mind and before I knew it, he had all the actors in his office. My friend was grateful to me for exposing the plot. The boy who stole the pipes was remanded to the police and more than forty years later we still tell the tale of the hot organ pipes.

It is Good Friday throughout most of the Christian world, but we are now into Holy Saturday in much of the Christian world. Not quite there yet in New Mexico. But the full moon tonight is gorgeous and provides a good deal of light after a nice warm spring day.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.
And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Montrovant in difficult transition
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.
JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition and for positive trend to continue.
BigBlackDog aka BBD for healing and wellness
GallantWarrior for healing and wellness and solutions
Ringel for healing and Mrs. R facing serious health challenges in difficult transition
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we hope they do.

April's full moon tonight is the pink moon sometimes referred to by names associated with other signs of full spring. (It really doesn't look pink in the sky.) In other cultures, this full moon is sometimes call the Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and among coastal tribes the Fish Moon, because this was the time that the shad swam upstream to spawn.

full-pink-moon-pic.png

A gentle Spring rain has been pelting the roof all morning. The grass is growing almost visibly by the day, but it is so wet any shot at mowing it would be far more work than necessary. Besides, I have an electric lawn mower. 110 volts plus wet grass plus me equals an ugly scene.

The Eastern Redbud on the West Lawn of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate is now in full bud showing anyone who cares to see a haze of lilac and purple ready to burst forth within a day or two. All the shrubs are pretty much leafed out or showing the new Spring growth. Hosta is coming back for the coming season, getting thicker every year.

I was at the Big House yesterday and saw some of the peonies Pop and I transplanted from the 40'x60' bed they used to occupy on the back lawn. When Mom and Pop bought the big house back in 1966, the previous owner, Mr. Mullin, had a going concern growing and selling peonies for Memorial Day grave decoration. Peonies are the Vegas showgirls of the floral domain. Big, pompous blossoms in white, pink or red with variegated varieties developed by Mr. Mullin made our backyard the envy of the neighborhood.

But an invasive weed turned its attention to the peony bed choking out many of the flowering plants. Pop was a wannabe gardener, concentrating on vegetable crops and indifferent to flowers. He cultivated his own garden plot far away from the peony bed. I mowed the grass and saw closeup what was happening to the once prized peonies. So, I convinced Pop to grab the spade, dig up as many of the peonies as possible and transplant them around the Big House.

What Mr. Mullin knew, but neither Pop nor I understood, was the pollinators of peonies are black ants. Look closely at your local peony plant. You'll see ants crawling on them like and invading army. So, to keep the ants from invading the Big House, the transplanted peonies were moved farther away time and time again. Today there are two surviving peonies growing lustily at the foot of the driveway, ants be damned.

A gentle Spring rain has been pelting the roof all morning. The grass is growing almost visibly by the day, but it is so wet any shot at mowing it would be far more work than necessary. Besides, I have an electric lawn mower. 110 volts plus wet grass plus me equals an ugly scene.

The Eastern Redbud on the West Lawn of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate is now in full bud showing anyone who cares to see a haze of lilac and purple ready to burst forth within a day or two. All the shrubs are pretty much leafed out or showing the new Spring growth. Hosta is coming back for the coming season, getting thicker every year.

I was at the Big House yesterday and saw some of the peonies Pop and I transplanted from the 40'x60' bed they used to occupy on the back lawn. When Mom and Pop bought the big house back in 1966, the previous owner, Mr. Mullin, had a going concern growing and selling peonies for Memorial Day grave decoration. Peonies are the Vegas showgirls of the floral domain. Big, pompous blossoms in white, pink or red with variegated varieties developed by Mr. Mullin made our backyard the envy of the neighborhood.

But an invasive weed turned its attention to the peony bed choking out many of the flowering plants. Pop was a wannabe gardener, concentrating on vegetable crops and indifferent to flowers. He cultivated his own garden plot far away from the peony bed. I mowed the grass and saw closeup what was happening to the once prized peonies. So, I convinced Pop to grab the spade, dig up as many of the peonies as possible and transplant them around the Big House.

What Mr. Mullin knew, but neither Pop nor I understood, was the pollinators of peonies are black ants. Look closely at your local peony plant. You'll see ants crawling on them like and invading army. So, to keep the ants from invading the Big House, the transplanted peonies were moved farther away time and time again. Today there are two surviving peonies growing lustily at the foot of the driveway, ants be damned.

The peonies, in my opinion the showiest of the perennials, were a feature of one property we rented in southeast Kansas. The house came with three and a half acres of cultivated and wild trees, blackberry bushes, rose trellises, and a pond, and also an expansive lawn--thank goodness for a riding lawn mower. One very large plot was planted with peonies that bloomed gloriously every spring. Those gorgeous blooms were the thing I mourned the most when the place was sold out from under us and we had to move.

Forum List

Back