USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's cooled down to a manageable 92 with a 30% cloud cover. One storm to the west of us that seems to be losing its strength over Mobile Bay. Even if it reforms, it should slide by to the North.

Your high temps are similar to ours in the low 90's though we generally go into the high 90's even to a 100 this time of year, so we are enjoying the cool weather. :) Our humidity is a fraction of yours though so if we stay in the shade, those 90's aren't any big deal for us. We do cool down at night, usually into the 60's this time of year, occasionally into the high 50's. Still no sign of the monsoon,but I check the radar daily and see more activity in the Chihuahan Desert in Mexico, so I'm pretty sure it is coming soon. Beautiful sunny day in Albuquerque today which is a mixed blessing, i.e. good for the public fireworks shows, but our neighbors who like to make things go boom will be doing so until after midnight tonight.

I wish we could ban fireworks in New Mexico in the dry seasons, but alas whenever the legislature tries to do so, they get overturned by our courts. They can limit those that go way up and presumably present more of a hazard for brush fires, but cannot ban all. So everybody pretty much buys and uses what they want on the theory the law can't intercept everybody and therefore won't even bother.

95 here. But according to the locals, this is cool compared to what its supposed to be. Ick. Hate it. Days like this, I miss my beach weather. Couple of more months to go, then back to winter, which I am very ready for.

Heard there was a 6.4 earthquake in southern cali. We didn't feel it here, but we are too far north I guess.

It's cooled down to a manageable 92 with a 30% cloud cover. One storm to the west of us that seems to be losing its strength over Mobile Bay. Even if it reforms, it should slide by to the North.
Yikes! We're up to 87 here, so only 5 degrees lower than you are. No storms in sight, clear blue skies with wispy little clouds. There's another fire north of here and they even had a fire in Anchorage! I noticed lots of small, neighborhood picnics and parades, so everyone is still in good spirits.
Happy 4th of July to all of you.

Well, one of the compensations of living in the Oaklandtown area is glorious weather. It's 70, sunny and lightly breezy today. Absolutely perfect.

Your high temps are similar to ours in the low 90's though we generally go into the high 90's even to a 100 this time of year, so we are enjoying the cool weather. :) Our humidity is a fraction of yours though so if we stay in the shade, those 90's aren't any big deal for us. We do cool down at night, usually into the 60's this time of year, occasionally into the high 50's. Still no sign of the monsoon,but I check the radar daily and see more activity in the Chihuahan Desert in Mexico, so I'm pretty sure it is coming soon. Beautiful sunny day in Albuquerque today which is a mixed blessing, i.e. good for the public fireworks shows, but our neighbors who like to make things go boom will be doing so until after midnight tonight.

I wish we could ban fireworks in New Mexico in the dry seasons, but alas whenever the legislature tries to do so, they get overturned by our courts. They can limit those that go way up and presumably present more of a hazard for brush fires, but cannot ban all. So everybody pretty much buys and uses what they want on the theory the law can't intercept everybody and therefore won't even bother.
That "they can't catch everyone" theory might not work so well in Anchorage this year. They've banned even the public fireworks displays and have beefed up police patrols to enforce the general ban. After a fire in Anchorage flared up, authorities are getting serious. The Anchorage fire is miniscule compared to many others in the state right now but just about any fire in Anchorage has a potential to do tremendous damage.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ies-lost-structures-from-anchorage-brush-fire

95 here. But according to the locals, this is cool compared to what its supposed to be. Ick. Hate it. Days like this, I miss my beach weather. Couple of more months to go, then back to winter, which I am very ready for.

Heard there was a 6.4 earthquake in southern cali. We didn't feel it here, but we are too far north I guess.
Even though Anchorage is wedged between to arms of water, they are only about five degrees "cooler" then here on my mountain.
Personally, a quake that would topple LA into the ocean would feel really, really good up here...

65878560_2796042300470299_8561119544741986304_o.jpg

Oh good. USMB is back. It seemed to be off line for quite awhile this morning. But it served as a wakeup call:

ATTENTION COFFEE SHOPPERS
Several weeks ago I had a major hard drive crash on my computer requiring it to be replaced. That meant reinstalling all my software and when I reinstalled my email server, somehow it dropped all my groups in my address book. So I lost all those emails you folks had sent me. The addresses are still on the master list but it would be impossible to pick them out of the hundreds on that list. So those who will trust me with an email address for you--I guard them with my life and do not share with ANYBODY without your express written permission to do so--and would PM them to me, I'll regenerate the list to contact should USMB one day close and I need to contact everybody where we can regroup. If you want to of course.

I do have emails I had saved on a different account before consolidating on the one that crashed for:

Peach
Ringel
Ridgerunner
Drifter
Gracie
WelfareQueen
Ernie (added)

(Unless any of you have changed your email in the last year or two. I know I lost a bunch of them though.

But anybody else who would like to be contacted if USMB closes and we have to move, please PM me an email address. I won't use that email address for anything else unless it is a dire emergency like we fear you might be dead or something. :)

NOTE to USMB. We aren't going anywhere unless you abandon us. We like it here. :)

Last edited:
It made 96 here today with a heat index of 113. It has cooled way down to a pleasant 94.

Wow. A tolerable 90 degrees at our house right now with comfortable humidity levels. Will be cooling down into the 80's over the weekend and that will be nice.

Finally got the baseboard in the master closet and extra bedroom (temporary storage), all that's left right now is to nail it in. I'll caulk and paint later. Cut and am sanding the threshold for door from the hall to the bathroom, have to hit it with 120 grit then maybe 220 grit before polyurethaning. I have two more to do for the openings where the kitchen joins the great room and hall. Using redwood for my thresholds.

The Wife had chemo Monday - Tuesday, this one seems to have hit her pretty hard. Since Tuesday thru today she's basically been sleeping 18 to 20 hours a day when she's not vomiting.
BTW, I returned her iPhone, she didn't want it, had them throw the T Mobile chip in her old phone. There was a $50 restocking fee on the purchase contract........ Still it's better than forking out almost $700 over the next two years.

The Wife had chemo Monday - Tuesday, this one seems to have hit her pretty hard. Since Tuesday thru today she's basically been sleeping 18 to 20 hours a day when she's not vomiting.
BTW, I returned her iPhone, she didn't want it, had them throw the T Mobile chip in her old phone. There was a $50 restocking fee on the purchase contract........ Still it's better than forking out almost $700 over the next two years.

So sorry about Mrs. R. That is so tough. Hopefully the worst will be over quickly. And after playing a bit with others' Iphones I think we'll stick with our LG smart phones that are relatively cheap but have all the bells and whistles we need or want.

Forum List

Back