USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning, CS friends!
Another hot day dawning here. I'm getting used to just power-through the heat. The animals seem to have become accustomed to the heat, too. I do wish it would rain, but our rainy season should be here by the end of the month. As it is, we are a spark away from Armageddon. The woods are so dry, even the muskeg and watery places are drying up! When conditions are like this all it takes is one person who knows they can control their campfire, forgetting that those small sparks can carry for miles on the wind. Add the severe beetle-killed spruce to the mix and it isn't an 'if' situation, it's 'when'. Hell, we're still getting smoke from the Swan Lake Fire down on the Kenai Peninsula! That burn started on June 5th and is still going strong. Fortunately it is burning in an uninhabited area and will actually be a benefit for the area burned.

Anyone have other ideas???? (besides bobbing for apples or throwing them at passing cars or the like :rolleyes:)

Well I was going to say Apple Jack, but Foxfyre beat me to it... Maybe I will choose a nice recipe for you...

applejack liquor - Bing video

But I don't drink.
Maybe you should start? :alcoholic:

Other than an occasional Margarita with Mexican food, or some special occasion…….I don't drink anymore.

My father had been an alcoholic, same as his father...…….and after walking away from an abusive ex I found myself goin. g down that same generational path. Woke up one day & didn't like what I saw looking back at me...……...been trying to change that ever since
Sorry. I was just teasing. I grew up with an alcoholic father, too, and it wasn't pleasant. Hugs!

I'd love to since my chickens & turkeys don't bother. :102:
My chickens and turkeys love apples, too!

Then maybe you need a vacation......come on down with a truck and fill er up with apples.....and 7qts & 18 pints of applesauce too.

Ended up with a major canning fail and was my own fault I guess. Since the apples were small I didn't peel & core them like I usually do, but just quartered them into a huge pot, added a bit of water to keep from scorching, & cooked till softened. Ran them all thru a food mill which made it pretty saucy so I added some Ziploc bags of last years slices fully expecting them to cook down as well. They didn't.

Chose to pressure can it all to save on water.....but even with plenty of headspace, doing 5lbs of pressure for 8-10 minutes,....every jar siphoned sauce out all over the jars, all inside the canner and the consistency of the sauce was thinner than baby food with thick whole slices mixed in. It's going to take me a few days to get it all cleaned up :blowup:

Even though all the jars did seal....they are now only about half full of this stuff that isn't even palatable IMO.....I prefer a thicker sauce, maybe even with small chunks & only enough sugar added to enhance the flavor of the apples.

Oh well, lesson learned...….fruit is only to be water bathed, apples to be peeled & cored & cooked down (they sauce themselves)......NO food mill or pressure canner allowed
That's what ya get for making applesauce...... Yuk!!!! Like eating baby food......

I love applesauce. Well maybe not JAN's as she is describing it, but I bet when she does it the conventional way, it is great. :)

Actually I do sympathize with her little mishap. It is difficult to get pinto beans really tender at this altitude and they have to be cooked far longer than would be necessary at lower altitudes. So years ago I decided to pressure cook a batch. Usually you can get away with that, but this time something clogged and it blew out the safety valve shooting beans all over the kitchen--on the cabinets, counter tops, floor, walls, and ceiling. The clean up was horrendous. And there were probably beans still stuck to something when we left that place.

Pressure cooking isn't for everything. :)
I just learned something. Why do beans not cook well at higher altitudes?

Altitude changes effects of a lot of things...…..usually takes longer to cook & at a higher pressure, than being closer to sea level. I don't know WHY, but it does

Then maybe you need a vacation......come on down with a truck and fill er up with apples.....and 7qts & 18 pints of applesauce too.

Ended up with a major canning fail and was my own fault I guess. Since the apples were small I didn't peel & core them like I usually do, but just quartered them into a huge pot, added a bit of water to keep from scorching, & cooked till softened. Ran them all thru a food mill which made it pretty saucy so I added some Ziploc bags of last years slices fully expecting them to cook down as well. They didn't.

Chose to pressure can it all to save on water.....but even with plenty of headspace, doing 5lbs of pressure for 8-10 minutes,....every jar siphoned sauce out all over the jars, all inside the canner and the consistency of the sauce was thinner than baby food with thick whole slices mixed in. It's going to take me a few days to get it all cleaned up :blowup:

Even though all the jars did seal....they are now only about half full of this stuff that isn't even palatable IMO.....I prefer a thicker sauce, maybe even with small chunks & only enough sugar added to enhance the flavor of the apples.

Oh well, lesson learned...….fruit is only to be water bathed, apples to be peeled & cored & cooked down (they sauce themselves)......NO food mill or pressure canner allowed
That's what ya get for making applesauce...... Yuk!!!! Like eating baby food......

I love applesauce. Well maybe not JAN's as she is describing it, but I bet when she does it the conventional way, it is great. :)

Actually I do sympathize with her little mishap. It is difficult to get pinto beans really tender at this altitude and they have to be cooked far longer than would be necessary at lower altitudes. So years ago I decided to pressure cook a batch. Usually you can get away with that, but this time something clogged and it blew out the safety valve shooting beans all over the kitchen--on the cabinets, counter tops, floor, walls, and ceiling. The clean up was horrendous. And there were probably beans still stuck to something when we left that place.

Altitude changes effects of a lot of things...…..usually takes longer to cook & at a higher pressure, than being closer to sea level. I don't know WHY, but it does
Interesting. I googled the issue and this was a pretty good article:
Baking and Cooking at High Altitudes

Another hot day dawning here. I'm getting used to just power-through the heat. The animals seem to have become accustomed to the heat, too. I do wish it would rain, but our rainy season should be here by the end of the month. As it is, we are a spark away from Armageddon. The woods are so dry, even the muskeg and watery places are drying up! When conditions are like this all it takes is one person who knows they can control their campfire, forgetting that those small sparks can carry for miles on the wind. Add the severe beetle-killed spruce to the mix and it isn't an 'if' situation, it's 'when'. Hell, we're still getting smoke from the Swan Lake Fire down on the Kenai Peninsula! That burn started on June 5th and is still going strong. Fortunately it is burning in an uninhabited area and will actually be a benefit for the area burned.

Summer finally arrived here yesterday with 90 degree temps and will be on the down trend for the next few days. Before that, it was really struggling to have a clear day. Mostly cloudy and more than a few gully washers. I was beginning to wonder if our 80-90 degree summer was over......back in like March or April.

Here, normally fire season happens in Eastern Washington...….until a few years ago when it was so dry & hot that you couldn't fart without sparking a fire somewhere. The fire crews were kept at a constant run, chasing fires. Not so much this year...…...so far anyway.

and from what I understand...…...the higher the altitude, the more adjustments needed.

I'm just glad I don't live there or I'd have to learn to cook all over again.

With me it's not the taste, it's the texture, I hate pureed foods unless they're cooked in with something.

I'd kinda agree with you there & would rather bite into apples than slurp em down.....but come to find out, applesauce makes a great dipping steak sauce for pork chops.

And other things. :)

My goats love apples, send a few bushels our way.

Ex mother-in-law made pea soup in a pressure cooker...

Summer finally arrived here yesterday with 90 degree temps and will be on the down trend for the next few days. Before that, it was really struggling to have a clear day. Mostly cloudy and more than a few gully washers. I was beginning to wonder if our 80-90 degree summer was over......back in like March or April.

Here, normally fire season happens in Eastern Washington...….until a few years ago when it was so dry & hot that you couldn't fart without sparking a fire somewhere. The fire crews were kept at a constant run, chasing fires. Not so much this year...…...so far anyway.
They've actually reported fewer fires this year here. I'm hoping that's because people are finally getting a clue and are restraining themselves. Most wild fires are human caused, so it is an element that can be controlled. Dry, hot weather, beetle-killed trees, lightening strikes are all natural causes and cannot be controlled.

Yes. I have lived and cooked at high altitudes enough that I just intuitively compensate in most cases. But I still haven't mastered high altitude pinto beans. They always taste great but never quite achieve the exact texture I'm shooting for.

and from what I understand...…...the higher the altitude, the more adjustments needed.

I'm just glad I don't live there or I'd have to learn to cook all over again.

Those who love to cook just intuitively make the adjustments in a pretty short time. Those who don't love to cook usually don't bother. :)

Water boils at a lower temperature

Successfully? I would fear that could be more dangerous than pressure cooking pinto beans. :)

That's pretty much the issue and why pressure cooking is so useful for some things especially if you need to cook pretty fast. But like JAN, I'm pretty leery of pressure cookers. I have one given to us by a friend, and have never taken it out of the box.

I treat wood so that it isn't susceptible to movement from humidity or to harden soft, sometimes punky but interesting wood for turning. The process involves baking for about 24 hours at 220 F to remove all moisture and then submerging in a thermo-setting polymer in a vacuum chamber. You need to get down to 0% moisture content because any water left will boil off slowly and you won't get total absorption back into the wood when you remove the vacuum. Here's a chart of boiling points of water at various vacuums:
http://www.centurytool.net/v/vspfiles/images/chart12.gif

Water boils at about 145 degrees in Albuquerque. That's the major reason that coffee there pretty much sucks

I discovered some time back that Evie enjoys watching tv. She is the first critter I ever had that does enjoy it, although I know folks whose pets like it..I never experienced it before, myself. Evie is one of those kitties that loves being loved...and shows it in so many ways and I give it back to her often.
Anyway...I noticed she watched tv. So now...I look for things on it that she would maybe like to see. Yesterday, Lion King was on. I thought..PERFECT!!! And as I figured she would..she laid there and watched it...all the way through.

2cz3bkm.jpg

Successfully? I would fear that could be more dangerous than pressure cooking pinto beans. :)
Oh no. Far from successful. The stream of green goo blasted through the ceiling and nearly filled the cavity between the first and second floors. My father-in-law and I spent the next day replacing part of the ceiling after scraping out a couple gallons of glop.

That's pretty much the issue and why pressure cooking is so useful for some things especially if you need to cook pretty fast. But like JAN, I'm pretty leery of pressure cookers. I have one given to us by a friend, and have never taken it out of the box.
I use mine quite often. I have a normal sized one and a pressure canner I use when I'm cooking for a crowd.

Yes pressure cookers do explode, but there is a blow out valve in any made in the last 50 years that will rupture at about 25 PSI. Modern pressure cookers are designed that the gasket will fail long before the metal and even if all the safety features fail, the pressure at rupture would be around 3 atmospheres, not enough to cause a very serious explosion. You, it might dent your stove or spread crap all over the kitchen, but the risk is more from scalding than from flying metal.
The point is there are 3 redundant features that should prevent an explosion. You have to just about weld the steam vent closed, plug the safely valve and epoxy the lid in place on a modern pressure cooker to cause failure.

Forum List

Back