USMB Coffee Shop IV

Last week my Gravenstein apple tree tipped over. Most of the roots are still intact but it needs to be taken out. I've been putting it off as long as I dare......but I gotta do something with the apples.

So applesauce, pie filling, dried slices.....here I come.

Anyone have other ideas???? (besides bobbing for apples or throwing them at passing cars or the like :rolleyes:)

Apple cobbler? Apple cider? Apple cakes freeze really well. And my mom used to make a mean Apple Jack. :)

I did put some peels & cores with a bit of sugar in a jar to start some Apple Cider Vinegar.

I don't really drink, so Apple Jack is out......but cobblers & cakes sound good.

A moist apple cake is one of my favorites. I wish I could locate my mother's recipe as I've never found anything comparable, but there are many luscious looking apple cake recipes on the internet. I do like a cake I can freeze when I have a large supply of something I want to bake into cakes or gift breads or whatever to freeze and/or give away.

Well it's clear that we get summer the same way we get winter, full tilt. I am currently 'puppy sitting' for my brother and sister-in-law. Their dog Teddy is disrupting Daisy the Mutt's ability to crawl up on my lap and luxuriate in caresses and tickles.

I put Teddy out on the leash this afternoon, around 1:30. The procedure is; strap a dog collar on Teddy, control him by said collar while I open the door leading to the West Lawn where the leash is screwed into the ground, attach the leash to the collar and pray Teddy does not manage to wiggle free and roam the neighborhood. Fine. Simple task. But when I opened that door and stepped,outside, by glasses fogged over! The humid heat wrapped itself around me like a lead blanket.

We did not go to Thompson Park for a walk today. The heat index (a construct of the weather guessers) was a stifling 104 degrees. The actual temperature was hovering around 94 but add humidity at 92% and hey presto! it's time for another cool shower.

Tomorrow is supposed to be no better. Give us six months and we'll find something else to bitch about.

Well it's clear that we get summer the same way we get winter, full tilt. I am currently 'puppy sitting' for my brother and sister-in-law. Their dog Teddy is disrupting Daisy the Mutt's ability to crawl up on my lap and luxuriate in caresses and tickles.

I put Teddy out on the leash this afternoon, around 1:30. The procedure is; strap a dog collar on Teddy, control him by said collar while I open the door leading to the West Lawn where the leash is screwed into the ground, attach the leash to the collar and pray Teddy does not manage to wiggle free and roam the neighborhood. Fine. Simple task. But when I opened that door and stepped,outside, by glasses fogged over! The humid heat wrapped itself around me like a lead blanket.

We did not go to Thompson Park for a walk today. The heat index (a construct of the weather guessers) was a stifling 104 degrees. The actual temperature was hovering around 94 but add humidity at 92% and hey presto! it's time for another cool shower.

Tomorrow is supposed to be no better. Give us six months and we'll find something else to bitch about.

We are finally flirting with 100 degree temps here but it hasn't quite made it to that tipping point yet. Another hot day tomorrow and then Monday and Tuesday we get a respite with highs in the mid 80's. After the normal July heat index, we will probably be hunting for sweaters and jackets.

Hombre's sister is with us for a few days and tomorrow we'll have our usual Sunday lunch and a movie with Aunt Betty and Dana coming with their small dogs that are totally part of the family.

Hope all are having a good night and a good day tomorrow. Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

My sainted Aunt Sis was my uncle Ducky's bride. She stood a majestic 4' 8" tall. A stark contrast to Ducky's height and weight. Ducky and Sis retired to Pinellas Park Florida where Sis worked in an elementary school cafeteria. She ruled the kitchen like a dill sergeant, he 'riding crop' was a well seasone wooden spoon. Her favorite expression was"Open the door! These damn flies haven't been out all day!"

Sis survived on hot, strong black coffee and Chesterfield Kings. The Florida sun had rendered her complexion to appear as leather. Ever see one of those carved apples? They fashion a face on a peeled apple and, as it browns and withers, the apple begins to look like an old grizzled person.

When Sis and Ducky would come north to visit the family, no matter what the weather, Sis would bundle herself up in a wool cardigan and drink scalding coffee from a thermos tucked under her arm. Even on a day like this, Sis would complain about a draft, a chill, the cold. It amazed us kids to see this tiny woman shiver while we sweated.

You know, I love men including their hair whether they don't have any, have some, keep it short, wear it long. But ya'll with long hair, please don't do this:

67093631_2330952773661511_6968684046641528832_n.jpg

You know, I love men including their hair whether they don't have any, have some, keep it short, wear it long. But ya'll with long hair, please don't do this:

I doubt I could have even figured out how to do that when I had my hair, even if I had wanted to. :p I usually left it all hanging down or put it in a pony tail.

I doubt I could have even figured out how to do that when I had my hair, even if I had wanted to. :p I usually left it all hanging down or put it in a pony tail.

I kind of like the pony tails and didn't mind the man buns when they needed their hair up and out of the way. But the he-hive, no.

Last week my Gravenstein apple tree tipped over. Most of the roots are still intact but it needs to be taken out. I've been putting it off as long as I dare......but I gotta do something with the apples.

Anyone have other ideas???? (besides bobbing for apples or throwing them at passing cars or the like :rolleyes:)
My goats love apples, send a few bushels our way.

I'd love to since my chickens & turkeys don't bother. :102:
My chickens and turkeys love apples, too!

Then maybe you need a vacation......come on down with a truck and fill er up with apples.....and 7qts & 18 pints of applesauce too.

Ended up with a major canning fail and was my own fault I guess. Since the apples were small I didn't peel & core them like I usually do, but just quartered them into a huge pot, added a bit of water to keep from scorching, & cooked till softened. Ran them all thru a food mill which made it pretty saucy so I added some Ziploc bags of last years slices fully expecting them to cook down as well. They didn't.

Chose to pressure can it all to save on water.....but even with plenty of headspace, doing 5lbs of pressure for 8-10 minutes,....every jar siphoned sauce out all over the jars, all inside the canner and the consistency of the sauce was thinner than baby food with thick whole slices mixed in. It's going to take me a few days to get it all cleaned up :blowup:

Even though all the jars did seal....they are now only about half full of this stuff that isn't even palatable IMO.....I prefer a thicker sauce, maybe even with small chunks & only enough sugar added to enhance the flavor of the apples.

Oh well, lesson learned...….fruit is only to be water bathed, apples to be peeled & cored & cooked down (they sauce themselves)......NO food mill or pressure canner allowed

Then maybe you need a vacation......come on down with a truck and fill er up with apples.....and 7qts & 18 pints of applesauce too.

Ended up with a major canning fail and was my own fault I guess. Since the apples were small I didn't peel & core them like I usually do, but just quartered them into a huge pot, added a bit of water to keep from scorching, & cooked till softened. Ran them all thru a food mill which made it pretty saucy so I added some Ziploc bags of last years slices fully expecting them to cook down as well. They didn't.

Chose to pressure can it all to save on water.....but even with plenty of headspace, doing 5lbs of pressure for 8-10 minutes,....every jar siphoned sauce out all over the jars, all inside the canner and the consistency of the sauce was thinner than baby food with thick whole slices mixed in. It's going to take me a few days to get it all cleaned up :blowup:

Even though all the jars did seal....they are now only about half full of this stuff that isn't even palatable IMO.....I prefer a thicker sauce, maybe even with small chunks & only enough sugar added to enhance the flavor of the apples.

Oh well, lesson learned...….fruit is only to be water bathed, apples to be peeled & cored & cooked down (they sauce themselves)......NO food mill or pressure canner allowed
That's what ya get for making applesauce...... Yuk!!!! Like eating baby food......

That's what ya get for making applesauce...... Yuk!!!! Like eating baby food......

I love applesauce. Well maybe not JAN's as she is describing it, but I bet when she does it the conventional way, it is great. :)

Actually I do sympathize with her little mishap. It is difficult to get pinto beans really tender at this altitude and they have to be cooked far longer than would be necessary at lower altitudes. So years ago I decided to pressure cook a batch. Usually you can get away with that, but this time something clogged and it blew out the safety valve shooting beans all over the kitchen--on the cabinets, counter tops, floor, walls, and ceiling. The clean up was horrendous. And there were probably beans still stuck to something when we left that place.

Pressure cooking isn't for everything. :)

I love applesauce. Well maybe not JAN's as she is describing it, but I bet when she does it the conventional way, it is great. :)

Actually I do sympathize with her little mishap. It is difficult to get pinto beans really tender at this altitude and they have to be cooked far longer than would be necessary at lower altitudes. So years ago I decided to pressure cook a batch. Usually you can get away with that, but this time something clogged and it blew out the safety valve shooting beans all over the kitchen--on the cabinets, counter tops, floor, walls, and ceiling. The clean up was horrendous. And there were probably beans still stuck to something when we left that place.

With me it's not the taste, it's the texture, I hate pureed foods unless they're cooked in with something.

With me it's not the taste, it's the texture, I hate pureed foods unless they're cooked in with something.

I'd kinda agree with you there & would rather bite into apples than slurp em down.....but come to find out, applesauce makes a great dipping steak sauce for pork chops.

Hey gallantwarrior ...how is the partner doing? how are YOU doing?
Hello, Gracie!
Partner's improving a little every day. They put him through a couple of hours of therapy most days. He's appears in good spirits when I roll by to visit but he's getting bored and frustrated being so helpless and not able to work. The staff at the hospital are super folks, and that's another plus. His speech and right leg are improving the most but his right arm and hand are still pretty useless.
Me? I get along well enough. Using the turmeric has definitely helped with pain management. I forgot to take it last weekend and paid a steep price, I could barely walk. I know people scoff at using natural remedies but when they work, scoff away. Of course, my home is turning into a mess, which frustrates me. After visiting the hospital (I allow an hour), doing errands, and now, dealing with banks, utilities, and all manner of financial stuff (not my own), I'm lucky if I get three hours of horizontal rest on work days. I am thankful that I can catch cat naps and sometimes a solid couple of hours of sleep at work. Since I am accustomed to sleeping sitting up, sleeping in the work truck is restful enough.
How are you holding up in the heat? Or are you all someplace not being baked by Ma Nature? I listen to the weather news and worry about lots of my CS friends who live in places where it gets hot in the summer but it's hotter this summer than usual. And how is your furry buddy? She's such a delicate looking mite.

I think if that happened to me, I'd never use the pressure canner/cooker again. I'm already scared of it as it is and have only used it a few times since I got it a few months ago.

I swear my mother put the fear of God into me about using pressure canners and taught me how to water bath can vegetables.. I have since met others that also WB can meats & meat based soups & sauces & even fish. While I've not done fish before, I have tried meat & stuff and wanted to do more but also knew of the risks I was taking and so I researched about pressure canning & reading all I could, watching videos, etc until I felt comfortable enough to give it a try. Then my neighbor gave me a bunch of jars and her old PC canner that looked brand new. So I took it home & ran a few practice runs (no jars of food) with it just to get over that fear and see just how everything worked on it. So now that I can use it without shaking so bad, I've been using it for most everything and for one main reason is because it doesn't take so much water

No insult intended, but if you had a pig it would be in hog heaven and gladly help you with a mess. Hell, you could have skipped the whole cooking thing altogether. Good meat, too! I've often thought of having a pig when I pour gallons of good whey off my curds. Whey fed pork is sweet and lean. Add some apples and acorns...umm-umm!

I'd kinda agree with you there & would rather bite into apples than slurp em down.....but come to find out, applesauce makes a great dipping steak sauce for pork chops.
My wife does that but I need something better.......

Applesauce Pork Chops Recipe

I just learned something. Why do beans not cook well at higher altitudes?

Well I was going to say Apple Jack, but Foxfyre beat me to it... Maybe I will choose a nice recipe for you...

applejack liquor - Bing video

But I don't drink.
Maybe you should start? :alcoholic:

Other than an occasional Margarita with Mexican food, or some special occasion…….I don't drink anymore.

My father had been an alcoholic, same as his father...…….and after walking away from an abusive ex I found myself going down that same generational path. Woke up one day & didn't like what I saw looking back at me...……...been trying to change that ever since

Forum List

Back