USMB Coffee Shop IV

Second day at the gymn. Walked twice as long as yesterday, will have to dohalf as much as tomorrow. lol
Walking machines now have your heart rate on an instant basis. It spiked a little today, so I figured I was pushing it a little hard. It just makes you feel so good, though, it's worth the hassle. I probably should just walk at a slow pace for a week, then move up a little bit. Spent the rest of the morning sharpening pencils for the sanctuary. We're a small group, but I sharpened about 300 mini pencils and straightened a lot of hymnals. I need to make up about 900 bookmarks, though. I think I'll make them from quilt material so it will go easy on the hymnal pages. They're a pretty green color, so it should be fun work but may take a year doing them between quilt tops. So it's go upstairs, sew an hour and see what comes up.

Hope everyone here has a nice evening, and Gracie, good luck keeping that cancer at bay. Prayers up with your name on it! They say a small serving of beets, fresh celery, and a carrot a day will extinguish some types in 45 days. When you mix the three with distilled water in a blender, you might wanna hold your nose until it's gone. I think the big C stuff doesn't like it either and after 45 days of that sort of torture, it's outta there! That's gotta be it. Take it with a grain of salt, though, because I learned it on the internet. It claimed this study and that study, though. Again, internet. :huddle:

Don't let the bedbugs bite. :sleep:

The sweet corn crop here is spectacular! The topography and geology of Columbiana County, Ohio restricts agriculture to small, market corps. Where others plant predominantly feed corn on more than 1,000 acres, our farmers plant a direct to market sweet corn. Apples, honey, maple sugar and syrup, cider, strawberries, cucumbers, peppers, melons and tomatoes, butter and cheese. Do they still call them 'truck farms'?

And all these goodies are heaped on counter tops in farm stores. Many of which are supplied with fresh baked foods from local Mennonite bakers.

My favorite is Catalpa Grove up on 14 between Columbiana and Washingtonville. Because, not only do they have a bountiful store, but about an acre and a half of greenhouse. Not to brag, aw hell, to brag, I started my field engineering in land survey. So my estimate of greenhouse foot print is not bad for a rambling story.

Anyhow, Catalpa Grove dresses itself up for the seasons. Come autumn the pumpkins and indian corn and apples and fresh pressed sweet apple cider can be had, not to mention the fresh glazed donuts.

There are Christmas tree farms where the hills are too steep for planting anything else. Fresh cut Christmas trees shipped to major cities up and down the I-95 corridor. I tag one on Veteran's Day. The early bird method.

My maternal Grandpa would bundle his grandkids up in his Mercury Comet and toss us giggling into an pick-your-own strawberry patch. He would pick two flats of juicy berries, we kids would eat a flat. And Grandpa always paid for three flats.

High summer has its charms.
It's kinda funny to read grandpa and Mercury Comet in the same sentence.......... Maybe a Buick Roadmaster or a Ford Fairlane but not a Comet......... :eusa_whistle:

The sweet corn crop here is spectacular! The topography and geology of Columbiana County, Ohio restricts agriculture to small, market corps. Where others plant predominantly feed corn on more than 1,000 acres, our farmers plant a direct to market sweet corn. Apples, honey, maple sugar and syrup, cider, strawberries, cucumbers, peppers, melons and tomatoes, butter and cheese. Do they still call them 'truck farms'?

And all these goodies are heaped on counter tops in farm stores. Many of which are supplied with fresh baked foods from local Mennonite bakers.

My favorite is Catalpa Grove up on 14 between Columbiana and Washingtonville. Because, not only do they have a bountiful store, but about an acre and a half of greenhouse. Not to brag, aw hell, to brag, I started my field engineering in land survey. So my estimate of greenhouse foot print is not bad for a rambling story.

Anyhow, Catalpa Grove dresses itself up for the seasons. Come autumn the pumpkins and indian corn and apples and fresh pressed sweet apple cider can be had, not to mention the fresh glazed donuts.

There are Christmas tree farms where the hills are too steep for planting anything else. Fresh cut Christmas trees shipped to major cities up and down the I-95 corridor. I tag one on Veteran's Day. The early bird method.

My maternal Grandpa would bundle his grandkids up in his Mercury Comet and toss us giggling into an pick-your-own strawberry patch. He would pick two flats of juicy berries, we kids would eat a flat. And Grandpa always paid for three flats.

It's kinda funny to read grandpa and Mercury Comet in the same sentence.......... Maybe a Buick Roadmaster or a Ford Fairlane but not a Comet......... :eusa_whistle:
He had a beige '64 Comet. Grandpa was a potter. He pulled staggers from kiln cars. That is to say, he removed bisque fired ware, loaded the pieces on wide, thin planks called savers then transferred the ware to the glazers where decoration, the back stamp, gold trim and glaze was applies before final firing.

They don't give Buicks to guys doing that work.

He had a beige '64 Comet. Grandpa was a potter. He pulled staggers from kiln cars. That is to say, he removed bisque fired ware, loaded the pieces on wide, thin planks called savers then transferred the ware to the glazers where decoration, the back stamp, gold trim and glaze was applies before final firing.

It was an age joke...... :D

I already know I'm old!

I already know I'm old!
Not if your grandpa drove a 63 Comet....... :lol:

I already know I'm old!
What are you going to do when you actually GET old? I'll be 70 next Tuesday.

Hombre was assigned a Mercury Comet as a company car way back years ago. It was a horrible, nauseating putrid pea green color. We called it the Vomit. :)

I already know I'm old!

Sixty is the new forty. Seventy is the new fifty.

My Aunt Betty will be 93 in a couple of months and she is still going strong. . .drives, cooks. She is slowing down just a bit but she can still keep up with people 20 and 30 years her junior just fine.

Age really is just a number.

Last edited:
No chemo today. CT scan tomorrow morning most likely followed by a different chemo drug. The Doc thinks the kidney and spleen are still growing.

I already know I'm old!

My Aunt Betty will be 93 in a couple of months and she is still going strong. . .drives, cooks. She is slowing down just a bit but she can still keep up with people 20 and 30 years her junior just fine.

I hear you. I'm in reasonably good shape for an 85 year old LOL
I have more than my share of battle scars and far more gray hair than I feel I should have, but I'm seeing a 44 year old and I seem to be keeping up pretty well other than swhe does 6 miles a day on a bicycle. I prefer bikes that you don't have to pedal. My dad made 93 plus a couple months. His mind was still sharp as a tack, but the prostate cancer played havoc with his body.

Back from Corrales (little village wedged between Albuquerque and Rio Rancho) where we play 42 every other week. When we got out of the car the rattly hum of the cicadas was non stop in the trees in every direction. I love hearing that.

I already know I'm old!
70 next Tuesday? Every day you wake up is a good one, Ernie. ;)

Last edited:

I already know I'm old!

I have more than my share of battle scars and far more gray hair than I feel I should have, but I'm seeing a 44 year old and I seem to be keeping up pretty well other than swhe does 6 miles a day on a bicycle. I prefer bikes that you don't have to pedal. My dad made 93 plus a couple months. His mind was still sharp as a tack, but the prostate cancer played havoc with his body.

You're really 85? Why you...

I already know I'm old!

You're really 85? Why you...

No. He's just saying he is in good shape for 85. :) Me too. :)

Finished the trailer unload....... Like I said before now the real work starts. I have to organize, put a storage loft in the garage, sort through and see what to get rid of (too much chit for this smaller house, finish the baseboard (office and hallway), set up my "office", etc, etc, etc.......

Forum List

Back