USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've tinkered with the idea of doing a bio on myself in book form. Alas, never got around to it. And...it would finish with me being in the situation I'm in which would not be a very good ending. I want a "lived happily ever after" and so far....that ain't happenin'.

But it did get me to thinking it make for an interesting thread! Like:

If you could travel back in time and see yourself at 12 years old...what would you tell you of what to expect that you never dreamed at that age of happening to you?

I would tell me:

"Take nothing for granted. All that you choose to do will lead to sadness, aloneness, some happiness and excitement in spurts. You will go on adventures but gain nothing from it. You will love many dogs and a scant few cats, but they will all die on you. You will live where you always wanted to live (the beach) and most of your years will be spent there in semi happy ignorance until you lose everything you worked for and held dear. And within a short less than 2 year span, you will lose it all again. Your life will not be what you envisioned. You will become homeless which has always been your fear. It WILL happen. You can't change what will be NOW, but if you chose more wisely at 17 years old...this would not be your life. Alas, it is. Buckle up, sweetcakes. Its going to be very hard.

Another perspective? Every choice you make has been a learning experience that you've taken with you on this life journey and even if you don't see it, you have made an impact on someone else. If you had made different choices, it doesn't mean your life would really be any better than it is now. Different maybe, but not necessarily better. Everyone's life is full of trials & tribulations, there's no getting around it. 'Happily Ever After' is a fairy tale unless you learn to be happy with what you do have.

Just think......if you had made different choices in your life......you would not have been living with your friend during the wildfire....you wouldn't have been there to save her. Thankfully you were, for her sake. Many times the path we're on isn't for our own benefit, but the benefit of others.

You keep painting & selling and tuck away the profits so you can take the next step UP. Holidays are coming soon and around here there's usually a bunch of craft fairs & bazaars where people sell their items. Maybe you could get some inventory built up, rent a table, and sell your wares. Rocks are good, what about flower pots? or other knick-knacks? You can do this Gracie....find yourself a reasonable goal, then take the steps to get there......one step at a time. And realize that includes steps back or sideways, as well as forward. Life isn't perfect, but it's up to us to make it worthwhile. :smiliehug:

I've tinkered with the idea of doing a bio on myself in book form. Alas, never got around to it. And...it would finish with me being in the situation I'm in which would not be a very good ending. I want a "lived happily ever after" and so far....that ain't happenin'.

But it did get me to thinking it make for an interesting thread! Like:

If you could travel back in time and see yourself at 12 years old...what would you tell you of what to expect that you never dreamed at that age of happening to you?

I would tell me:

"Take nothing for granted. All that you choose to do will lead to sadness, aloneness, some happiness and excitement in spurts. You will go on adventures but gain nothing from it. You will love many dogs and a scant few cats, but they will all die on you. You will live where you always wanted to live (the beach) and most of your years will be spent there in semi happy ignorance until you lose everything you worked for and held dear. And within a short less than 2 year span, you will lose it all again. Your life will not be what you envisioned. You will become homeless which has always been your fear. It WILL happen. You can't change what will be NOW, but if you chose more wisely at 17 years old...this would not be your life. Alas, it is. Buckle up, sweetcakes. Its going to be very hard.

Since I started getting depressed at 16 and got schizophrenia at 22 years old I would tell my 12 year old self to jump in a lake. It is better not to see the future, because if you knew what was coming you might give up. But I have survived everything life threw at me and lasted 73 years. And I am still here.
I don't know what's worse, being schizophrenic, or an empath like me. I can't stand crowds, they drain me. I can feel all the emotions and just want to leave. Subsequently I've lived alone for the last 32 years, and I'm 64. I like it that way. I'm happy. I can't stand to hear constant talking, I would rather not have someone around me 24/7, and it's worked out good for me. It's enough going to a store and having to feel exactly what the people standing near me are feeling. If they're irritated, that's the strongest emotion I feel, and I hate it.

Yea, I live alone too. Some people can't stand to be alone and they wonder how I survive. But I tell them you get used to it after the first twenty years. It is true, but also I was making a joke of it. Doctors have told me a lot of mentally troubled people use the internet to communicate. Because it is less disturbing than facing people in the real world.
Alone but not lonely here, too. I can take company of my choice in limited doses although I have learned to deal with larger groups of people. I can actually face a room full of strangers and talk to them for at least an hour about technical things. I actually love teaching but cannot stand all the other chores and interactions that come from association with the institution.

Another smoky day here at the airport, and Anchorage. We've got the fires up in my neck of the woods, and south, too, but Anchorage is blanketed in wood smoke. It's bad enough today that anyone with asthma or respiratory problems is affected. What worries me right now is moose hunting season starts this weekend. Hunters are being warned not to hunt in the areas affected by the fires. That means a lot of townies will be trying their luck further up the mountain...where I live. Of course, too many people poo-poo the burn bans because they're only going to have a small campfire and they can control a small fire. It only takes a small spark to light the world on fire here right now. It's so dry and maybe as much as 2/3 of the spruce in our area are beetle-killed, making them 70' matches. One spark and they flame-on, and spruce burns hot. Additionally, the tundra and muskeg has dried out. That means the fire can go underground and pop up some other place. I just hope a lot of people decide not to hunt this year.

Another smoky day here at the airport, and Anchorage. We've got the fires up in my neck of the woods, and south, too, but Anchorage is blanketed in wood smoke. It's bad enough today that anyone with asthma or respiratory problems is affected. What worries me right now is moose hunting season starts this weekend. Hunters are being warned not to hunt in the areas affected by the fires. That means a lot of townies will be trying their luck further up the mountain...where I live. Of course, too many people poo-poo the burn bans because they're only going to have a small campfire and they can control a small fire. It only takes a small spark to light the world on fire here right now. It's so dry and maybe as much as 2/3 of the spruce in our area are beetle-killed, making them 70' matches. One spark and they flame-on, and spruce burns hot. Additionally, the tundra and muskeg has dried out. That means the fire can go underground and pop up some other place. I just hope a lot of people decide not to hunt this year.
Wow... doesn't sound good around Anchorage. Is the entire state in that condition?

Year before last when I went out to Montana to visit family, the smoke was so bad you could barely see the mountains. I woke up one day and there was ASHES on my truck. I had to leave early and go back home. Didn't really get out of the smoke until Minnesota. Good ole Wisconsin was clear as a bell. I was very thankful for that. Forest fire smoke is very rare in Wisconsin. It's become a yearly ordeal in Montana.

Maybe I should write a mini bio. I keep thinking about the things I have done in my 67 years. A lot. Some fun. Some not so much.

Like...being the galley cook on a tuna boat back in the 70's. 21st birthday...big cake, huge joint as the candle, surrounded by tuna fishermen on their boat while hiding that I was a female cuz Cap'n didn't know the cook fixing his meals was a girl. Shhhhhh! :D

Hitchhiking to SF after dumping my car off at home so I could experience what it was like to hitch. Now THAT was fun. Hooked up with a bunch of hippies on the side of Highway 101 onramp, motel across the freeway. I booked a room (I was NOT stupid enough to hitch broke!) and then went and fetched all those hippies and snuck them all in. Talk about a sleepover to the max! Next day, we all got kicked out but the manager was thrilled we cleaned the room so well (and washed all the towels, bedspreads, sheets) that he said next time we are caught in a light rain like that night...he would put us up. :)

So many stories. Those ^ are the fun ones. The sad ones....that will be the tough part.

Saturday morning!

A cool-ish and damp summer is ending and the harvest is about to begin...Best be on the prowl for ravenous gophers,

Let the cartoon begin!

Maybe I should write a mini bio. I keep thinking about the things I have done in my 67 years. A lot. Some fun. Some not so much.

Like...being the galley cook on a tuna boat back in the 70's. 21st birthday...big cake, huge joint as the candle, surrounded by tuna fishermen on their boat while hiding that I was a female cuz Cap'n didn't know the cook fixing his meals was a girl. Shhhhhh! :D

Hitchhiking to SF after dumping my car off at home so I could experience what it was like to hitch. Now THAT was fun. Hooked up with a bunch of hippies on the side of Highway 101 onramp, motel across the freeway. I booked a room (I was NOT stupid enough to hitch broke!) and then went and fetched all those hippies and snuck them all in. Talk about a sleepover to the max! Next day, we all got kicked out but the manager was thrilled we cleaned the room so well (and washed all the towels, bedspreads, sheets) that he said next time we are caught in a light rain like that night...he would put us up. :)

So many stories. Those ^ are the fun ones. The sad ones....that will be the tough part.

So you are already phrasing it in the context of the quintissential American 'hippie' culture and the unconventional American lifestyle that so many of that era have evolved into since. And yes there will be the positive and negative, the funny and sad, ups and downs and all that.

But you write well and intuitively and descriptively and there is an interesting and compelling story spanning decades to be told.

I say do it.

My Son and DIL have a new job...

Baby Girl

6lbs 15oz 19" long
1318 08.23.19
Still no name...

Hot off the presses...
Quinn Leilani

upload_2019-8-24_8-1-46.png

Last edited:
As a wordsmith of sorts, I found this really interesting both in amazement that somebody took the time to figure it all out, and the results they got:
13880267_803402206427731_189986105273386730_n.png

Number 5... From 13yrs to 2 days old... 3 girls and 2 boys... My DIL has 2 Girls from her first marriage and My daughter and SIL have 2 Boys...

Life is good...

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.
And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Montrovant for continued progress in his transition.
JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition and for positive trend to continue.
Seagal and Mr. Seagal.
Peach for healing
Beautress for wellness
Kat for wellness
Mrs. Ringel05 for good results and comfort with new meds.
Gallantwarrior for strength, patience, healing, comfort in his challenge with caring for Rod and Rod's healing.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so that those who have been away can find their way back.

Shakespeare once wrote that expectation is the root of all heartache. I prefer Brian Tracy's point of view as expectation, coupled with a measure of hope and curiosity and the courage to try, is generally what produces our greatest achievements. But expectation must always be tempered with ability to forgive ourselves and try again when we fall short.
12537-Brian-Tracy-Quote-An-attitude-of-positive-expectation-is-the-mark.jpg

Still trying to get things done, haven't had much energy for the last couple of days so did little stuff and mostly rested and did some grocery shopping. Just finished a couple of (small) burritos ala Christmas. That was good. :thup:

Wow... doesn't sound good around Anchorage. Is the entire state in that condition?

Year before last when I went out to Montana to visit family, the smoke was so bad you could barely see the mountains. I woke up one day and there was ASHES on my truck. I had to leave early and go back home. Didn't really get out of the smoke until Minnesota. Good ole Wisconsin was clear as a bell. I was very thankful for that. Forest fire smoke is very rare in Wisconsin. It's become a yearly ordeal in Montana.
It's been pretty smoky all summer. The Swan Lake fire on the Kenai Peninsula has been burning for over two months now. Because it's burning into wilderness they let it burn. Only when it threatens human habitation do they fight the fire. There are so many fires statewide that it is pretty miserable. While we are having the hottest, driest summer most people can recall around these parts, there are floods up north. I've noticed that the birch trees are already dropping leaves, not because it's fall but because they are so dry.

You should go for it! I'd be interested in a period biopic. Might get a lot of attention seeing as how Woodstock is a hot item right now...again!

Forum List

Back