USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hey 007 and Pogo, so good to see you. I hear you re your loss of friends and companions 007. A lot of us are experiencing that these days. And Pogo, was wondering about Pat who we have had on the vigil list all these years?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
THe comma after the word ALL is out of place? Should have IS there.

"You would think nothing is wrong at all and nothing is"....or none of the above because why state something is not wrong but it is?

Just a guess.

The paragraph is grammatically and structurally correct so far as I can tell. But there is something unusual about it. (I was told the answer so I cannot claim I figured it out myself, but the answer is pretty simple.)
I don't have the time or inclination or patience to figure it out. This is a job for Pogo

OK I'm kinda lost --- couldn't find what the original sentence was.

Sincerely
Getrude Stein

Foxys post ^

Here:

View attachment 466617

OK and the answer to this question is supposed to be the commas? :dunno:

I'm gonna disappoint you but IMHO commaing is a matter of personal style. Were I to type that I'd prolly omit the comma after "and", just for the sake of how it sounds in spoken language, but I couldn't say it's "wrong". As y'all know I'm a linguistic archconservative and mindful of how the mighty comma was splayed copiously a few centuries ago, an oft-cited example being the Second Amendment.

But to paraphrase Freud, sometimes a comma is just a pause.

Of course other times it's essential to the meaning:

"Let's eat, Grandma!" vs
"Let's eat Grandma!"

Hey 007 and Pogo, so good to see you. I hear you re your loss of friends and companions 007. A lot of us are experiencing that these days. And Pogo, was wondering about Pat who we have had on the vigil list all these years?

Thanks for asking Foxy, Pat is still kicking and so are her mother and sister. She's less in touch than she used to be but sends me regular funny stuff from Reddit where she hangs out. They all have lots of health issues but they refuse to let them get 'em down. :)

"You would think nothing is wrong at all and nothing is"....or none of the above because why state something is not wrong but it is?

Just a guess.

The paragraph is grammatically and structurally correct so far as I can tell. But there is something unusual about it. (I was told the answer so I cannot claim I figured it out myself, but the answer is pretty simple.)
I don't have the time or inclination or patience to figure it out. This is a job for Pogo

Sincerely
Getrude Stein

Foxys post ^

Here:

View attachment 466617

I'm gonna disappoint you but IMHO commaing is a matter of personal style. Were I to type that I'd prolly omit the comma after "and", just for the sake of how it sounds in spoken language, but I couldn't say it's "wrong". As y'all know I'm a linguistic archconservative and mindful of how the mighty comma was splayed copiously a few centuries ago, an oft-cited example being the Second Amendment.

"Let's eat, Grandma!" vs
"Let's eat Grandma!"

Nope, has nothing to do with commas. As an old English major (among other things) I am pretty sure the paragraph is correct in structure, spelling, punctuation, and grammatically.

Just a guess.

Sincerely
Getrude Stein

Foxys post ^

Here:

View attachment 466617

"Let's eat, Grandma!" vs
"Let's eat Grandma!"

Nope, has nothing to do with commas. As an old English major (among other things) I am pretty sure the paragraph is correct in structure, spelling, punctuation, and grammatically.

That's what I thought too. Okay so not looking ahead in case the answer was posted, what's "unusual" about the paragraph is that it's center-justified. ?

I would however take issue with your structure above of "in grammatically". Should have been just "grammar" for consistency with the other nouns. :safetocomeoutff:

I always say, those who think political discussion gets heated, should sit in some time on a newspaper editorial meeting. You wanna see some vitriol.....

Just a guess.

Sincerely
Getrude Stein

Foxys post ^

Here:

View attachment 466617

"Let's eat, Grandma!" vs
"Let's eat Grandma!"

That's what I thought too. Okay so not looking ahead in case the answer was posted, what's "unusual" about the paragraph is that it's center-justified. ?

I would however take issue with your structure above of "in grammatically". Should have been just "grammar" for consistency with the other nouns. :safetocomeoutff:

I always say, those who think political discussion gets heated, should sit in some time on a newspaper editorial meeting. You wanna see some vitriol.....

Yes, I almost corrected the 'ungrammatically' and then got distracted. I have sat in on newspaper editorial meeting.

The paragraph is unusual for the most simple and, once you know the answer, most obvious of reasons. :) (There are no e's)

You stumped Pogo, you stumped Pogo!!! Neener nanny boo boo, you stumped Pogo!!! :auiqs.jpg: :adoreheart:

DID NOT DID NOT :funnyface:

I said it's center-justified. That's unusual. :eusa_snooty:

I don't think a dearth of "E" is particularly unusual, even if it was uh.... keenly engineeered (goddammit) to get there. Doesn't have any Js, Qs Vs or Zs either. Unless one types "Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz" we could find some letter not present in almost anything. :dunno:

Does remind me of this old chestnut though:

Count the iterations of the letter F (no cheating with "Find" on the keyboard) in this sentence:

"Finished files are the result of years of scientific study combined with the experience of many years.”

Last edited:
You stumped Pogo, you stumped Pogo!!! Neener nanny boo boo, you stumped Pogo!!! :auiqs.jpg: :adoreheart:

I don't think a dearth of "E" is particularly unusual, even if it was uh.... keenly engineeered (goddammit) to get there. Doesn't have any Js, Qs Vs or Zs either. Unless one types "Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz" we could find some letter not present in almost anything. :dunno:

Count the iterations of the letter F (no cheating with "Find" on the keyboard) in this sentence:

"Finished files are the result of years of scientific study combined with the experience of many years.”

I got 5 f's from that sentence. But I think I recall another similar sentence & what trips us up so not entirely sure I was starting from scratch on that one.

Meanwhile...I got to sleep finally at 6am. Woke up at noon so I got a good solid 6 hours this time!

Two extra strength acetaminophen PM (Tylenol PM by brand name) usually get me to sleep but don't necessarily keep me asleep. Gonna try the sleepy time tea with them to see if that helps. I don't really have insomnia, but also rarely get 6 to 8 uninterrupted hours of sleep. I am fortunate that if I wake up I can usually go back to sleep.
Know what's really yummy? Chamomile/honey/vanila tea. I think its Celestial Seasons tea. OMG....mix that, or Peach Camomile Sleepy time....and 2 melatonin gummies.

I fall asleep fairly easy. Its STAYING asleep. I am up every 2 to 3 hours. Have a cup of hot choc (ovaltine malted) and another gummy...back to sleep. 2-3 hours later..up again, wash rinse repeat. Up to around 5am. 1 more gummy and Im out til 9 or 10 am. THAT is when I get at least 5 hours straight sleep.
I'm up every 2-3 hours to stoke the fire. I get anxious if I think the fire might go out. It gets cold pretty quickly. I combine the fire stoking with a visit to my litter box, too. I can usually fall asleep again easily but sometimes need to read a bit first.

Anyway....I hear your pain at losses. Which is why I enjoy being a loner. Here...not so much. I am the youngest here (at the old folks apartments). New friends are in their 80's and over.
Yeah I had a good friend, fellow veteran, told me the VA told him he had cancer of the liver. Wonder why since he loved his Crown Royal on the rocks, daily, but a year later he was dead. I saw him 5 days before he died, and he didn't look bad at all. I was actually shocked. Then a biker friend of mine died that I used to work with, knew him for a long, long time. Farmer pulled a wagon across the road thinking he could beat traffic and he hit the wagon he was pulling with his Harley trike. No disrespect to my buddy but, had he been wearing a helmet, he'd still be alive, because he wasn't banged up all that bad. He died of brain swelling. Then another veteran buddy of mine, also a fellow biker, and my neighbor, same age, tells me the VA found cancer in him, lung cancer. Well he smoked ever since he was 7 or some crap, and then quit but sucked on a vape from sun up to sun down. I tried to tell him to quit but, he just blew it off, said "the damage is already done." Well, it is now, he died back in November. Then this girl I used to kinda have the hots for, Angie, we hung out back in the day, but only 48 years old, apparently died after having a seizure, just a few months ago. I could go on and on listing names of people I used to know around here that are dead. Just unbelievable. Starting to feel kinda lonely. Maybe a new toy will cheer me up... :20:

JD3.jpg
Hey, that's like my Deere!

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I got 5 f's from that sentence. But I think I recall another similar sentence & what trips us up so not entirely sure I was starting from scratch on that one.
I see 6.

I see 6.

Six is correct. "Finished files are the result of years of scientific study combined with the experience of many years.”

That thing is usually presented on a blackboard or slide projector screen where the reader can't manipulate anything, and what trips people up is that the initial Fs ("finished files") make themselves obvious while the voiced Fs of the word "of" slip by. Plus there's a buried one in "scientific".

It's an interesting study of how we relate written and spoken language, and/or maybe the way the two sides of the brain interact. We sort of translate the letters into spoken language in that transaction.

I type very fast, and often I'll see that while intending to type the word "one" my fingers have just typed "won", even though "won" wouldn't make any sense in the sentence, and I have to stop and fix it. On the other hand I don't think I've ever done the reverse.

Last edited:

I see 6.

Six is correct. "Finished files are the result of years of scientific study combined with the experience of many years.”

That thing is usually presented on a blackboard or slide projector screen where the reader can't manipulate anything, and what trips people up is that the initial Fs ("finished files") make themselves obvious while the voiced Fs of the word "of" slip by. Plus there's a buried one in "scientific".

It's an interesting study of how we relate written and spoken language, and/or maybe the way the two sides of the brain interact. We sort of translate the letters into spoken language in that transaction.

I type very fast, and often I'll see that while intending to type the word "one" my fingers have just typed "won", even though "won" wouldn't make any sense in the sentence, and I have to stop and fix it. On the other hand I don't think I've ever done the reverse.
lately, I have been experiencing some dyslexia type situations. I can type pretty fast, but sometimes my fingers get hung up. Sometimes I edit..sometimes not.

For example...

Yuo cna porbalby raed tihs esaliy desptie teh msispeillgns.

and

It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

So I tells meself..why bother to edit?:spinner:
I'll jsut trwil on my stoul. :biggrin:

Forum List

Back