USMB Coffee Shop IV

Infamous "persons" drinking coffee......

291996.jpg

Last karate class for a few days. Teeth out on Monday, I plan to skip Tuesday and Wednesday classes, but I will attend Thursday depending on how much pain I am in and whether there is any swelling.
Mum wants me to miss a week - but does anyone actually know what it feels like to miss an entire 7 days of exercise when you normally exercise every single day? Think about how you would feel if you couldn't drink coffee for a week. You'd go mental. Muscles ache, and they tighten up, which is painful if you are not exercising on a regular basis, like I do.

I will still have to do a moderate workout on Tuesday and Wednesday to keep my muscles loose, and to prevent them from seizing up.

You should be okay with some exercises - just be sure to NOT bend over. Don't let the blood rush to your head and you'll be ok.

I'll be fine with going to class if I feel up to it. My mum needs to understand that I am responsible and I can make my own choices. I'm freaking 30 years old, I am not some immature teenager.
I have researched what I can and can't do, and I will be fine. Mum says that if I dare to go to class at all next week - she demanded I take the entire week off class - she will lock me out of the house, essentially forcing me to sleep in my car.

I pack my car up tomorrow in preparation. Its about time I stood up to her.

Your mom is deranged, Noomi.

Tell her the next time she takes money from you, you will call the police.

Tell her if she screams at you or attempts to batter you, you will call the police for the last time she stole your money, and that you will file charges if she touches you.

She is eventually going to really hurt you physically if you don't stop her now.

Last edited:
Caffeineloading_zpsaee613b1.png

Good morning, everyone, and TGIF!

Today's celeb no. 1 drinking coffee:

a5388d056f89980977d4d1b042087a93.jpg

Ok, I admit that I'm a big Gwyneth Paltrow fan, although I'm usually more for brunettes. She is just stunningly beautiful.

I would prefer sipping a cup with him... that would totally make my morning, my day, my week, my month, my year.... you get the idea... :lol:

Butler+sips+and+strolls+PHpvkohLckwl.jpg

I'll stick with the babe.

:D

One would have to look long and hard to find a more ardent fan of Gwyneth Paltrow, than I. The roles she plays with convincing expertise, are always to my liking. Great Expectations, being but one of them. :thup: She and Ethan Hawke, Robert De niro..et al. It is my favorite version of Charles Dickens' 13th novel.

I also like the personal style of Gwyneth Paltrow.

I am in agreement with AquaAthena: Dickens, Paltrow, Dickens, Great Expectations ~ what's not to like?

I would prefer sipping a cup with him... that would totally make my morning, my day, my week, my month, my year.... you get the idea... :lol:

Butler+sips+and+strolls+PHpvkohLckwl.jpg

I'll stick with the babe.

:D

One would have to look long and hard to find a more ardent fan of Gwyneth Paltrow, than I. The roles she plays with convincing expertise, are always to my liking. Great Expectations, being but one of them. :thup: She and Ethan Hawke, Robert De niro..et al. It is my favorite version of Charles Dickens' 13th novel.

I also like the personal style of Gwyneth Paltrow.

Yes, she is a classy individual all around.

Well, my arms are all scratched up from wrist to elbow, and I'm sore. It's a good sore though. I look forward to this after a long winter sitting on my can getting fat and out of shape. I've lost seven pounds in the last eight days, and since I'm on that track, I've decided I'm going to keep up the diet and exercise until I'm back down under 200. I'd like to see maybe 185. If I got down that far I might even have an old six pack peek out again. What a miracle that would be for a 59 year old... who knows. But I'm tired of the extra 30+ pounds. Time to trim it, and keep it off.

Going over tomorrow to help a buddy put a metal roof on his house. More good exercise. Can't get enough.

A few months ago, I decided to drop some weight too. I'm down to 162 (-30) and two pant sizes. Had to get me some new Carrharts for work!! If you're determined enough, you'll reach your goal, too, 007. Good luck and keep us updated. The older you get, the more difficult it is to shed the pounds, that's for sure.

Summa youse guys sure read a lot into a simple picture of mother and daughter sipping coffee... :rolleyes:

Naw, its more like a knee jerk reaction--at least it was with me--to a symbol of everything we don't like in modern American culture. And Miley Cyrus is definitely one of those symbols as is Justin Bieber and others who flaunt their fame and think they don't need to exhibit good manners or be good role models. Admittedly they are not required to have good manners or be good role models and it is their perfect right to be whoever they choose to be. And it is my perfect right to think they are pretty disgusting. :)

The problem with the teen stars is that the record company fires them when they turn 18. They spent their Wonder Years in a bubble full of people that would guide and guard them. When that bubble bursts, when they get fired, they're supposed to act like "normal" young adults, even though they've had no training whatsoever. They run wild because there's no one to manage them and because they want independence, even though they're ill-equipped to handle it. Look how Britney turned out and where is she now? No career and pretty much broke.

I don't really know what the problem is. All I know is Hombre and I were pretty much still 'kids' when we started out on our own and we had essentially nothing but the clothes on our back--even the furniture wasn't paid for, we were still making car payments, etc. And we had some really rough years financially there, but we took what work we could get, got extra jobs on the side, etc. and one day we found ourselves solidly in the middle class and never had to look back. I think those lean years were very very good for us.

But these modern child stars never have to experience that. Unlike their older peers who have to go to casting call after casting call or take what crummy gigs they can get and wait tables, etc. while they are waiting for their big break, they start off essentially millionaires without the maturity to put that into proper persepctive. I suspect something like that can really screw up somebody's head.

Last karate class for a few days. Teeth out on Monday, I plan to skip Tuesday and Wednesday classes, but I will attend Thursday depending on how much pain I am in and whether there is any swelling.
Mum wants me to miss a week - but does anyone actually know what it feels like to miss an entire 7 days of exercise when you normally exercise every single day? Think about how you would feel if you couldn't drink coffee for a week. You'd go mental. Muscles ache, and they tighten up, which is painful if you are not exercising on a regular basis, like I do.

I will still have to do a moderate workout on Tuesday and Wednesday to keep my muscles loose, and to prevent them from seizing up.

You should be okay with some exercises - just be sure to NOT bend over. Don't let the blood rush to your head and you'll be ok.

I'll be fine with going to class if I feel up to it. My mum needs to understand that I am responsible and I can make my own choices. I'm freaking 30 years old, I am not some immature teenager.
I have researched what I can and can't do, and I will be fine. Mum says that if I dare to go to class at all next week - she demanded I take the entire week off class - she will lock me out of the house, essentially forcing me to sleep in my car.

I pack my car up tomorrow in preparation. Its about time I stood up to her.

Go with how you feel, Noomi. Your body will tell you how much exercise it wants and needs. Just don't push the envelope for a couple of days. The anesthetic will take time to work it's way out of your system and so taking it easy initially is a smart move.

Good morning, everyone!
Looks like another dim day here. The dawn was yellow due to the pall of smoke hanging over the area. The Funny River fire had consumed about 105 square miles of territory by Friday, and Tyonek fire continues to threaten the Beluga power facility, which provides much of the power used in Anchorage. It's been a dry Spring and we could use the rain right now. At least the wind is blowing hard enough at ground level that it isn't too smoky.

That reminds me, GW, that we did actually get a rain shower yesterday along with a LOT of severe thunderstorm warnings around the state and about a half inch of pea sized hail at our house. Not enough to be a drought breaker of any kind, but welcome just the same.

Today is the first Ceremony we will participate in for memorial Day 2014. We will visit the veterans and residents of the Vista retirement home. The Home will have a solo artist Or one woman band or something.... And i will be the main speaker, but because of the audience and the band waiting, I'll keep it short. And after the short speech I'll issue Certificates of Appreciation to each veteran.

My Speech:

Memorial day had it’s beginnings at the dedication of the national Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; Where President Abraham Lincoln Gave a speech we all know as the Gettysburg Address. It was about Honor, Loyalty, Duty , and Sacrifice. It was about those who gave their lives to save the United States of America and the principles on which this country was founded. Thousands of young men and women have given their lives to save the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, that give this nation something that no other Country can offer their citizens.

Again our nation assembles to honor its heroic dead. A thousand battles of land, sea, and air echo the glory of their valiant deeds. Under the quiet sod or beneath the murmuring waves, their bodies sleep in peace, yet their souls go marching on. Because of them our lives are free, because of them our nation lives.

We don’t just honor those with the highest medals or even those who participated in the most hellacious firefights. We honor the more than one million men and women who lost their lives defending America in wars from the Revolution to the Global War on Terrorism.
As Americans we must always remember that freedom isn’t free. In fact, it is only possible because our fallen heroes have paid its high price.

Well, my arms are all scratched up from wrist to elbow, and I'm sore. It's a good sore though. I look forward to this after a long winter sitting on my can getting fat and out of shape. I've lost seven pounds in the last eight days, and since I'm on that track, I've decided I'm going to keep up the diet and exercise until I'm back down under 200. I'd like to see maybe 185. If I got down that far I might even have an old six pack peek out again. What a miracle that would be for a 59 year old... who knows. But I'm tired of the extra 30+ pounds. Time to trim it, and keep it off.

Going over tomorrow to help a buddy put a metal roof on his house. More good exercise. Can't get enough.

A few months ago, I decided to drop some weight too. I'm down to 162 (-30) and two pant sizes. Had to get me some new Carrharts for work!! If you're determined enough, you'll reach your goal, too, 007. Good luck and keep us updated. The older you get, the more difficult it is to shed the pounds, that's for sure.

Way to go, Double-0! I'm down about 35-40 for the year so far and I'm with you, getting rid of the ballast. I find there's times when the weight drop stops and stabilizes for a while even though you didn't change anything, and you just have to be patient. That's been the story for me lately; the first 20 pounds was easy, then it kinda goes plateau... another 5 lbs... plateau... another 5... eventually we get there. Better than crash-dieting all at once I figure.

Forum List

Back