USMB Coffee Shop IV

I could not stop watching it. Try a couple. Omg.
Thanks! I had it in my Netflix queue then stopped Netlix after binging all all seasons of the best series I have ever seen--Breaking Bad. Plus Net didn't have Fargo. I may still go back.

Did you ever watch Homeland? It was so good, but finally came to a conclusion. Now they have brought it back.....a continuation of where they left off. You'd want to check out the previous episodes so as to understand Carrie (Claire Danes) - I'm so glad they brought it back.
Yes I watch it. I like Homeland, Masters of Sex, House of Lies with Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell... Game of Throwns. Glad they're all on at different times of the year. :)

The new Homeland is just as exciting as the first one....can't hardly wait for the next episode. We started watching Masters of Sex, but lately it seems to drag a bit. The Americans is coming back....really like that one, too.

I'm addicted to Masters of Sex but never got into Homeland or House of Lies.

But, I'm always getting there late. I didn't watch Breaking Bad until it was shown in a marathon. Same with The Walking Dead. And, I still haven't seen all the old episodes of Game of Thrones.

So when are GOT and Downton Abbey going to be back?
Usually January.

Double-news day.

The good news is that dear friends of mine are celebrating their combined 96th birthday (he's now 51, she is now 44), because they were born on the same day. It doesn't happen every day that you have a married couple where the partners were born on the same day. They are throwing an OKTOBERFEST party that will go until about 1 am. Should be fun!

The bad news is that my dog can no longer walk. She collapsed and I and my daughter carried her to the vet. He gave the dog a cortisone spray and also detected a pretty massive infection in one ear, so he cleaned out the ear and shot her full of antibiotics. She will also get a small pain pill for the next 8 days. The dog needs to go outside every four hours or so now, so a friend will come by to carry the pooch outside during the Oktoberfest. The vet is only about 50% hopeful that this will help prolong my pooch's life, but my feeling is very strong that I will be putting the dog down within the next two weeks. She is obviously in pain and is becoming quite demented. It's a heart-breaker, but it looks like her time has now come. This is hard for my daughter, but also a valuable life's lesson.

We enjoyed country living, small town living, small city living (40,000 or so), and big city living. But now at our age, a big city like Albuquerque with a small town feel is good for us. Like RIngel said, we are just a few minutes away from the grocery store, hardware store, office supply, computer repair, Walmart, etc. and our doctors, dentist, etc. are all nearby. Albuquerque doesn't have as many great restaurants as most large cities can boast, but there are a few and plenty of options to choose from.

Meanwhile a warm Coffee Shop welcome to Luddly Neddite who is joining us for the first time today and welcome back to SixFoot who hasn't been here in awhile. Beautiful photos Luddly--what part of the country?

Luddly's first timer's complimentary beverage and a round for everybody to welcome SixFoot and bodecea back:

stock-photo-three-coffee-cups-with-espresso-cappuccino-mochaccino-over-brown-background-33358927.jpg

Hey, thanks very much for the welcome.

I'm on my second cuppa this morning, had a big dish of fruit and soon - breakfast.

We're in the mid-west and I should correct what I wrote. I said that both our homes are in small towns but really, only one is inside city limits. Our lake house is about 30 miles out of a small town. Although there are are homes fairly near, most are vacation homes and are occupied for only short periods during the years.

Same with the lake. Most of the time, there is no traffic on the water. Then, over long weekends or holidays, there will be a few but mostly, we have it to ourselves.

Well, we do share with a lot of wildlife.

I think I posted seeing the adult eagle flying by with an enormous fish in his talons and I've been seeing a juvenile who has been gone all summer. Twin raccoons juvies visit us almost daily and we have skunks, coyotes, bobcats, possums, armadillos, lots of deer ...

Love it and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I never tire of taking photos of the view of our back yard -
Post #11528 if anyone is interested -
USMB Coffee Shop IV Page 577 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

And fair warning, now that I know how to post photos from my phone, I'll be posting more!

Snow....forgotten what it's like to deal with it on a daily basis instead of hopping in the car and driving up to the Lagunas to throw snowballs at each other.
Last year's weekly snow storms were unusual for us. We don't deal with it on a daily basis either. Cold, yes.
Arapaho Ski Basin is set to open today though we have had some record high temps over the last couple of days. Most of the rest should open soon.

Double-news day.

The good news is that dear friends of mine are celebrating their combined 96th birthday (he's now 51, she is now 44), because they were born on the same day. It doesn't happen every day that you have a married couple where the partners were born on the same day. They are throwing an OKTOBERFEST party that will go until about 1 am. Should be fun!

The bad news is that my dog can no longer walk. She collapsed and I and my daughter carried her to the vet. He gave the dog a cortisone spray and also detected a pretty massive infection in one ear, so he cleaned out the ear and shot her full of antibiotics. She will also get a small pain pill for the next 8 days. The dog needs to go outside every four hours or so now, so a friend will come by to carry the pooch outside during the Oktoberfest. The vet is only about 50% hopeful that this will help prolong my pooch's life, but my feeling is very strong that I will be putting the dog down within the next two weeks. She is obviously in pain and is becoming quite demented. It's a heart-breaker, but it looks like her time has now come. This is hard for my daughter, but also a valuable life's lesson.

My thoughts are with you and your daughter, Stat. Losing a beloved pet is never easy. Somehow they manage to find a corner in your heart that always be there for them. Take care. DT

Double-news day.

Aww Stat, I'm sorry to hear that.

Hafta say though, it sounds like it possibly should be sooner than two weeks.

Give her hugs and comfort but if she's in pain, you might want to consider saying goodbye sooner.

Keep us posted - many of us have been there and we all know that it never gets any easier - even when we know its the best thing for our friend.

Double-news day.

I am sorry to hear of your poor news. Having a sick pet is never easy to deal with. I'll send healing thoughts your way in these sad times.

Snow....forgotten what it's like to deal with it on a daily basis instead of hopping in the car and driving up to the Lagunas to throw snowballs at each other.
Last year's weekly snow storms were unusual for us. We don't deal with it on a daily basis either. Cold, yes.
Arapaho Ski Basin is set to open today though we have had some record high temps over the last couple of days. Most of the rest should open soon.
We have the same kind of thing with the slopes here. You never know when they are going to be good to go.

I absolutely love White River National Forest! My grandparents used to take us kids every time we traveled across the country. We always visited during the summer but I bet it is positively marvelous during the winter. I am not much of skier though, I'm like a cow on crutches once I put skis on.

Some out on the board have a bad impression of the Coffee Shop, but look at the actual knowledge sharing that goes on in here. Lots of good stuff going on that started with civility in mind.

Wonder what happens with a bar of soap in each of your socks? ;)

Why would you say this?
I've never heard people talk bad about the coffee shop. Lots of smart people here. Civil too.
Oh they're out there. Probably jealous because they can't come in and trash the place. There are some who (used to) claim the CS was a right wing pos rep love fest, completely ignoring the fact that about half of the CS visitors were not right wing. :dunno:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I absolutely love White River National Forest! My grandparents used to take us kids every time we traveled across the country. We always visited during the summer but I bet it is positively marvelous during the winter. I am not much of skier though, I'm like a cow on crutches once I put skis on.
I used to ski Breckenridge and Keystone back when I was able to ski, now I just look at a bunny slope and think, if only....... :lol:

Some out on the board have a bad impression of the Coffee Shop, but look at the actual knowledge sharing that goes on in here. Lots of good stuff going on that started with civility in mind.

Wonder what happens with a bar of soap in each of your socks? ;)

Why would you say this?

The sock part because we were discussing restless legs and the rest because I like the Coffee Shop.

Looking forward to knowing Sarah, Luddly and bodecea in a different environment too. Enjoy.

Double-news day.

Watch out for a day or two with the cortisone shot, it can be painful and the dog might bite in her pain. That happened to our dog when his back legs would no longer work....they gave him a cortisone shot and for the first time he actually bit me when I did the same thing I'd been doing for days, trying to help him get up.

I used to ski Breckenridge and Keystone back when I was able to ski, now I just look at a bunny slope and think, if only....... :lol:
I know....I miss being young and doing those things. IF only they'd has snowboards back then.

I know....I miss being young and doing those things. IF only they'd has snowboards back then.
Snowboards were just becoming popular as I reached the end of my skiing days, call me old fashioned but I never wanted to use one. I loved Keystone, had a 3200 foot vertical drop, a gondola that went all the way to the top and some great moguls on a couple of runs.
The main reason I stopped skiing wasn't age related, it was living out east with very few good ski areas nearby and just too busy with life, plus I had become seriously involved with reenacting and living history. Took most of my off time and discretionary spending.

Snowboards were just becoming popular as I reached the end of my skiing days, call me old fashioned but I never wanted to use one. I loved Keystone, had a 3200 foot vertical drop, a gondola that went all the way to the top and some great moguls on a couple of runs.
The main reason I stopped skiing wasn't age related, it was living out east with very few good ski areas nearby and just too busy with life, plus I had become seriously involved with reenacting and living history. Took most of my off time and discretionary spending.
Ooooo! What kind of reenacting? I do Ren Faires.

I stick with tubing and having cocktails by the fire in the lodge nowadays. Give me a book, a stiff belt, and a seat by the fire. I'll let my more daring friends hit the slopes during our yearly trip to the Poconos.

Last edited:

I stopped because a lot of my friends were beginning to take some hard falls and I thought it was age related. Mid 30s.

I had taken a couple of falls myself and didn't really want to break something. :) I found some tamer sports to do.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava

Forum List

Back